• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

DennisK4 said:
Hoping for a Warhead style spin-off or fast work on Crysis 3. I'l bet my ass they already have a studio like the one in Budapest working on reusing the assets for a quick follow-up game. I'll buy.
Same here. My wishlist:

Improve the AI first and foremost. Playing it through a second time I notice it more than ever. They'll not only get stuck on the smallest things, they'll sometimes end up killing themselves somehow (bad collisions?), not to mention that no Cell trooper seems to be qualified to use explosives. ;P

That and stealth is a bit overpowered (although I did tune my suit upgrades for it, checking my stats I've been in stealth for 9 hours of game time. The way I play it, I'm only out of stealth for brief moments at a time.) I think it needs more of a risk/reward to it (maybe even small stuff like having enemies detect laser sights or your shadow. Something.) It does feel nice to actually hunt enemies and be hunted in turn - Crysis 2 nails this.

I like the suit upgrades, as it gave me reason to kill all the squids I could find, rather than just try to avoid them. I don't understand the weapon upgrades though - why are some options locked? Regardless, the game seems to provide you with a ton of weapons, which is nice, but I'd kindof like ammo to be a bit more scarce, to force players to adapt more and use more creativity. And since I'm always so well armed for every fight I never had use for stuff like throwing objects or doing a car kick.

And yeah, some kind of co-op would be ace. Doesn't have to be the campaign, but a side mode - maybe randomized objectives or attack and defend on some multiplayer maps versus AI. That'd add legs to the game and give single player gamers a reason to be interested in the seemingly eventual map packs.

My 2 cents any way. Love the game and yeah, Crytek deserves some kudos for deftly threading the needle between PC and the consoles in terms of gameplay and level design.

Edit: one more tidbit. Would love if the consoles had an option to map power kicks/stealth kills to a button rather than clicking or charging with the right-stick.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
NotTarts said:
Crytek Budapest is working on Kingdoms, AFAIK.
Right, but they're leading development in the sense that Crytek Frankfurt lead development on Crysis 2, but other Crytek studios still helped out with the engine, art assets, and most notably the multiplayer.

Jay Shadow said:
You have to pick up a weapon that has that attachment on it and then you have permanent access to it.
Ahhh. Thanks. I guess I figured once I found a silencer to a weapon, I could use a silencer with any weapon. But I guess I have to find a silenced model of that particular weapon to unlock it. Good to know.

Dennis

Banned
Nirolak said:
Actually, Crytek's new structure involves them rolling their extra staff onto the next major project when one finishes up.

Presumably extra staff are moving onto Kingdoms now while Crysis 3 and whatever Crytek London is making are prototyped.

There's also that MMO they're making in Kiev which will likely need more people soon.
So four games in the works?

Crysis 2: Warhead

Kingdoms

CryTek London game: TimeSplitters?

CryTek Kiev: Warface? or is that a different studio?

I am not sure if that means its Frankfurt working on the next Crysis game or what but I find it hard to believe they would pass up at that easy money with a quick sequel.

Dennis

Banned
Stealth is overpowered for Normal difficulty but on the higher settings stealth is pretty mandatory or you just die too frequently.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DennisK4 said:
So four games in the works?

Crysis 2: Warhead

Kingdoms

CryTek London game: TimeSplitters?

CryTek Kiev: Warface? or is that a different studio?

I am not sure if that means its Frankfurt working on the next Crysis game or what but I find it hard to believe they would pass up at that easy money with a quick sequel.
They have seven studios total, but only six of them make video games, with the other one making government contract/private sector simulators.

The studios are:

Studio Frankfurt (305 Employees): Crysis 2

Studio Budapest (75 Employees): Kingdoms (They were the studio that made Warhead before)

Studio Nottingham (80 Employees): Free Radical, they just made Crysis 2's multiplayer and are presumably making Timesplitters based on that recent interview.

Studio Seoul (20 Employees): Warface

Studio Kiev (80 Employees): Rumored to be making an MMO.

Studio Sofia (50 Employees): It's really unclear what they do, but whatever it is has been in development since 2008.

The reason I think they might pass up a quick sequel though is because that's a lot harder to sell on consoles, which are now a major focus for them, so just jumping in and releasing a full sequel in two years makes a bit more sense.

NullPointer said:
Edit: one more tidbit. Would love if the consoles had an option to map power kicks/stealth kills to a button rather than clicking or charging with the right-stick.

Just change the button layout to "Alternative." Melee becomes press-and-hold B instead of the RS (which is clicked to crouch). Word of caution though: using the second-stage zoom on the sniper automatically makes you crouch since it's on the RS. It can be rather annoying.

V_Arnold

Nirolak said:
The reason I think they might pass up a quick sequel though is because that's a lot harder to sell on consoles, which are now a major focus for them, so just jumping in and releasing a full sequel in two years makes a bit more sense.

I am not sure about this. Left 4 Dead -> L4D2 comes to mind, and it sold a lot better. (And it was still awesome, no matter how quick the sequel was).
Given that Crysis 2 is successful enough, they could easily cash in a second time - but I agree that they should and they might focus on polishing better for consoles (includin further optimization) and creating an even better final package to build a very strong brand on consoles.

Dennis

Banned
So they are making two MMOs?

Warface and some currently unknown MMO....?

OK, seems a little weird to be given how the tough it is to make a profitable hardcore AAA MMO.

On the surface its hard to pin a sequel/spinn-off on a studio then if Frankfurt aren't just rolling right into production this time around.

If I recall, Warhead sold well and so represents just about the easiest way to make money with an AAA franchise. I will be surprised if we don't see Crysis 2: Warpaint or whatever.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DennisK4 said:
So they are making two MMOs?

Warface and some currently unknown MMO....?

OK, seems a little weird to be given how the tough it is to make a profitable hardcore AAA MMO.

On the surface its hard to pin a sequel/spinn-off on a studio then if Frankfurt aren't just rolling right into production this time around.
As a correction to my previous post, they have seven studios.

Gamasutra said:
Gamasutra: I'm curious what has allowed Crytek to grow so quickly. You said earlier you have six studios. You have only released, I think, three games in some ten years. What is driving that growth?

CY: Part of it is that we have a very good secretive engine business. We have some other contracts going on as well for some other non-game industries. From that perspective, it's been a good, privileged position to be able to do that and also work on our own IPs.

Working with a partner like EA also brings in funds. Our most recent game is signed up with Microsoft as well, which helps us bring in finances to develop technology and awesome games.

Gamasutra: So you actually do a fair amount of engine licensing? There aren't as many press releases as there are for, say, Unreal.

CY: Yes, especially with CryEngine 3. Since March, we've been doing very well with that.

Gamasutra: What kind of non-game stuff do you do?

CY: There is a whole industry in serious games, and we have a lot of contracts going on from gas and oil companies, General Electric, all the way to SOCOM. We have a lot of military companies working with our technology, in fact.

Gamasutra: So you provide simulation and training software?

CY: Technologies, simulations, contract work, whatever they need and whatever they want. We have a studio for serious game development. That studio is a subsidiary of Crytek, but it's not called Crytek. It's studio number seven -- so secret I didn't even mention it! [laughs]

Gamasutra: Does it seem overwhelming to have seven studios at this point, again, especially given your output level?

CY: Every studio has its own head of production and studio management. We grew our infrastructure first before we grew with the game development itself. Obviously, it's a challenge to maintain quality everywhere, but it's effectively my day-to-day job to make sure that happens.

Also, we focus on one game at a time. Right now Crysis 2 is the focus, and after that another game. We have a lot of games in the pipe, but we don't talk about them right now.
Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6147/the_bleeding_edge_cevat_yerli_on_.php?page=3

As a note though, Warface isn't so much an MMO as it is a deathmatch shooter made for the Korean market.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Just change the button layout to "Alternative." Melee becomes press-and-hold B instead of the RS (which is clicked to crouch). Word of caution though: using the second-stage zoom on the sniper automatically makes you crouch since it's on the RS. It can be rather annoying.
Thanks, I completely missed the "Button Layout" option. Guess I also missed this "second stage" sniper zoom too.

Hell, I got about 75% through the game before I figured out how to select the rocket launcher. I figured that I was tossing the thing away when I switched weapons (like you do with mounted MGs). Felt like a huge dumbass once I found them accumulating in the weapon select menu. :)

Sethos

Banned
Nirolak said:
They make simulators, not games. :p

So does Bohemia Interactive, their engine is also being licensed, sold and tailor fitted for military organisations http://www.bisimulations.com/ but that didn't stop them from making a game :p I'd just like a proper 'sandbox' military game without all the bugs ... I'm just dreaming here :(

EDIT: There's even Cultural Awareness Training ... and a demo!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
DennisK4 said:
Any debate about level-size compared to the first game aside, this game is the best Single-player FPS experience of any recent game. Long game too.

Great stuff and quite challenging on Post-human difficulty.

CryTek have done a damn fine job creating a game that is workable within the constraints demanded by being on the consoles while still crafting a SP gameplay experience well above the likes of CoD, MoH etc. on PC.

Hoping for a Warhead style spin-off or fast work on Crysis 3. I'l bet my ass they already have a studio like the one in Budapest working on reusing the assets for a quick follow-up game. I'l buy.

QFT

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Will this eventually stop being about tech and SP and start being about more in depth multiplayer discussion?

I'm loving the MP, maps, flow, no lag, lots of different styles and loadouts. Wanna try and really get into it like I did with MW2. Not feeling the love in this thread though!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
kaizoku said:
Will this eventually stop being about tech and SP and start being about more in depth multiplayer discussion?

Why would we stop talking about a major component of the game?

nib95

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Any debate about level-size compared to the first game aside, this game is the best Single-player FPS experience of any recent game. Long game too.

Great stuff and quite challenging on Post-human difficulty.

CryTek have done a damn fine job creating a game that is workable within the constraints demanded by being on the consoles while still crafting a SP gameplay experience well above the likes of CoD, MoH etc. on PC.

Hoping for a Warhead style spin-off or fast work on Crysis 3. I'l bet my ass they already have a studio like the one in Budapest working on reusing the assets for a quick follow-up game. I'l buy.

How is that remotely true? Workable within constraints would be not to try and up the graphics ante in place of a stable frame rate. I think they did the opposite, and pushed for better visuals with un-workable or un-optimised constraints.

Sethos

Banned
kaizoku said:

Could be because the MP, right now, is a broken pile of wank and people would rather get through SP.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
God the AI in this game spots you way too easily, sometimes it feels likes they've got eyes in the back of their head, your in area with a bunch of enemies, pop out of cover or clock for a second and not only everyone in the immediate vicinity home in on you like a super magnet but even enemies the size of a pixel miles away are on you also.

Also I've had my gun just disappear on me on numerous occasions which is annoying, common bug I take it?

j-wood

kaizoku said:

I'm loving the MP, maps, flow, no lag, lots of different styles and loadouts. Wanna try and really get into it like I did with MW2. Not feeling the love in this thread though!

I second this. It cannot be stated enough how awesome I think the multiplayer is.

I love the unlock system and using the nanosuit in multiplayer is just badass.

One of my favorite features is how you actually have to pick up the dog tags in order to earn your killstreak. That simple feature adds balance to the awfulness it is in the COD series. It adds even more challenge to it.

Elixist

kaizoku said:

I enjoy the multi too its great, although I think stealth should drain the same if your moving or standing still in multi, campers gonna camp and now they can do it with plenty of invisible.

vazel

Banned
lowrider007 said:
God the AI in this game spots you way too easily, sometimes it feels likes they've got eyes in the back of their head, your in area with a bunch of enemies, pop out of cover or clock for a second and not only everyone in the immediate vicinity home in on you like a super magnet but even enemies the size of a pixel miles away are on you also.

Also I've had my gun just disappear on my on numerous occasions which is annoying.
Yea I've noticed that too. If you want to uncloak you have to make sure to hug a wall that way the AI won't trigger.

j-wood said:
I second this. It cannot be stated enough how awesome I think the multiplayer is.

I love the unlock system and using the nanosuit in multiplayer is just badass.

One of my favorite features is how you actually have to pick up the dog tags in order to earn your killstreak. That simple feature adds balance to the awfulness it is in the COD series. It adds even more challenge to it.

Also in love with it, regardless of how well I play good/bad what ever it's always extremely fun, when you have a group of people who actually move together across the map... feels so good.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
For some reason I'm kinda wanting to buy this game (PS3) now...

ColonialRaptor said:
So I just did time square - anyone who's finished it could you give me an idea of how far I am through?
I think you have about three or four missions to go.

I finished Supersoldier difficulty yesterday in about five hours. It took me ten hours on Soldier the first time through. :lol

Enosh

question
does anyone know when all the skill assesments unlock in MP? I am at 20 and the support bonus, markmen etc are still locked

also I am somehow lacking a class unlock from the first 5 classes avalible, so I don't have the sniper class unlocked, not a big deal, but still strange...

Casp0r

Banned
Strange I've seen no one mention the cover system this game has ... it's kind of good, doesn't work on everything but it works quite well.

Casp0r said:
Strange I've seen no one mention the cover system this game has ... it's kind of good, doesn't work on everything but it works quite well.

I dislike the context sensitive stuff in this game. It's to inconsistent. Whether it is cover or kicking a car, it just doesn't feel like I have complete control.

I don't get the fuss about Stealth mode in MP. When I played a couple of matches I mostly used the Armor mode, because it made more sense to me. That plus a LMG and you're set to kick asses and take names.

The only problem I have with the MP is that it's a tad laggy.

j-wood

Patrick Bateman said:
I don't get the fuss about Stealth mode in MP. When I played a couple of matches I mostly used the Armor mode, because it made more sense to me. That plus a LMG and you're set to kick asses and take names.

The only problem I have with the MP is that it's a tad laggy.

Agreed. I also don't think stealth is THAT overpowered. If you are in stealth mode and running, it's pretty easy to see an outline.

GABDEG

Patrick Bateman said:
Is it still the same pistol?
Yeah, I'm 100% sure that I used the Hammer or whatever with the silencer in the subway level, but now when I pick it up, the option to select it is greyed out.

DoomGyver

I really hope they support this multiplayer, when it works right it is really fun. Host migration has never worked for me, bad host selection, and it needs some netcode improvements. The ranking feels right, unlocking stuff feels right (not too long) and the guns are pretty good. I absolutely love the multiple levels of the maps, you're always looking up or down. Great detail in them as well, even if there is some pop-in problems.

A little polish on the MP side would go a long way with this game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well I restarted the game on the hardest difficulty and it's so fun to go against a bunch of marines in nice open areas with lots of cover etc, even though it's easy to die on that difficulty. Although the pathfinding isn't great, they barely ever enter indoor areas in some places so it's almost always safe for you to take cover and recharge there, while in others they're better scripted so they do go indoors, use stairs to get on rooftops, etc. The game really should have had some sort of solo/online arena/invasion modes to go with it, it just doesn't feel like a complete package as it is. Please release the mapping/mod tools Crytek so that people can make that stuff by themselves.

GABDEG said:
Yeah, I'm 100% sure that I used the Hammer or whatever with the silencer in the subway level, but now when I pick it up, the option to select it is greyed out.
Same here. Pistol upgrades won't unlock for me.

I haven't found the Gauss attachment yet, come to think of it.

Top Bottom