• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

DKo5 said:
Tweet from Tiago Sousa, Principle R&D Graphics Programmer from Crytek

http://twitter.com/#!/CRYTEK_TIAGO/status/52034965503873024

Cooking some great DX11 tech bits for C2 fans, be patient guys. All I can say, is that we have 16 ms or more to have fun with pc hardware...
16 ms? That can't be months, right?

EA will have Crysis 3 will be out by then!

EDIT: Thank god it's not. I know some people who abbreviate months as ms. There goes my joke, though.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
DaBuddaDa said:
I don't quite understand what that is supposed to mean..?

It means they have a lot of time each frame to do more GPU work. Coders speak in terms of how much something "costs" in milliseconds to render a frame. 16ms is substantial.

DaBuddaDa

DKo5 said:
It means they have a lot of time each frame to do more GPU work. Coders speak in terms of how much something "costs" in milliseconds to render a frame. 16ms is substantial.
Ah ok, yeah I've heard that before, makes sense. Thanks.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The mutliplayer for this game is a lot of fun when it works. It's a got a lot of smelly CoD clone going about it, but it 'feels' really good when you're jumping about, cloaking, hitting armor, sliding, and playing like a crazy.

One thing though that almost kills it for me is the slow movement when reloading. It really, really bothers me and in my opinion feels totally out of place in a game with characters wearing super suits, jumping high, and going invinsible. I think it would be so much better if reloading had no impact on speed, giving players extra mobility in battle.

DKo5 said:
Does this mean DX11 might be really well optimized like the full game and that the features won't be a massive hit on framerate? Or am I reading your post wrong

Technosteve said:
anyone buy game off amazon download? i'm the fence on buying game
It's $52.22 + a $15 gift card, by far the best deal. I'd go for it. Who knows how long the credit will be there. I bought the retail box off Amazon with no probs.

Heavy said:
Does this mean DX11 might be really well optimized like the full game and that the features won't be a massive hit on framerate? Or am I reading your post wrong

It would be nice for once to use DX11 and not have to play at 30 fps or less.

Mr Cola said:
Is this game broken online? Spent half hour and i cant join any servers, either through server browser or quick match

Still can't get online with my mycrysis or gamespy login so yes.

So I hope the patch fixes this.

The tweet from the Crytek graphics guy said they're "cooking" things up, and to be patient. That doesn't really scream tomorrow to me.

(ohgod I want it to be but I can't get my hopes up)

pakkit

Banned
EatChildren said:
One thing though that almost kills it for me is the slow movement when reloading. It really, really bothers me and in my opinion feels totally out of place in a game with characters wearing super suits, jumping high, and going invinsible. I think it would be so much better if reloading had no impact on speed, giving players extra mobility in battle.
I disagree, it makes reloading a disadvantage and means you need to time your reloads or manage your clip so you can't go full Rambo.

StuBurns

Banned
Sax Russel said:
The tweet from the Crytek graphics guy said they're "cooking" things up, and to be patient. That doesn't really scream tomorrow to me.

(ohgod I want it to be but I can't get my hopes up)
They could just be changing the menus and putting the DX11 renderer in and add the additional effects at a later date.

DSN2K

just finished it....my word story is AWFUL lol

solid game, certainly enjoyed parts, I'd say majority of those moments were fighting the aliens instead of CELL.

Graphics certainly havent WOW'ed me like Crysis 1 did but its pretty enough.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
pakkit said:
I disagree, it makes reloading a disadvantage and means you need to time your reloads or manage your clip so you can't go full Rambo.

Yeah, I know, it just kills the buzz for me a bit. I really burnt the whole stop-and-pop genre out with Call of Duty 4, and its little things like that which turn me off Crysis 2. I really like games that flow at a wild, fast pace.

Unsurprisingly, this is also how I play the campaign.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Good times to be a gamer.

After playing Killzone 3, i thought that was it as far as graphics on consoles go. But seeing it on a PS3, crysis 2 i mean, i was surprised because it actually looks quite unexpectedly great. But now i'm playing it on my PC, and all i can say is woow...

This game looks and plays phenomenal. It's hard to go past the amazing visuals sometimes, because playing this at 1080p on my sweet ass new monitor, on hardcore mode is a sight to behold. This thing is wonderful on the eyes. But yeah, the game does play quite brilliant.

Binabik15

spicy cho said:
Is anyone getting a black screen every few minutes, and having their video drivers crash?

At least one thing they kept from Crysis
´s final leven in DX10, well, except for the DX10
!

PS: I´m weak, I was planning to "boycott" the game until DX11 hits, but I need another game for a 5 off 50 code on zavvi. MAXIMUM PURCHASE.

Rengoku

Man, I hope this game gets much better, I just got to the part after you meet up with Gould. So far, I'm having a hard time enjoying this game, maybe its just me, but it just feels like a chore trying to get through each level. Also the bullshit with these enemies spawning right behind me needs to stop! Sometimes I'll be 2-3 kills away from clearing out the area, and all of a sudden 3 more soldiers spawn in the room behind me, that I just cleared out! If they're gona do infinite spawn enemies, at least have them come from logical points on the map. So many times I'll just say fuck it, and go stealth the rest of the way.

Dreohboy

kaizoku said:
Will this eventually stop being about tech and SP and start being about more in depth multiplayer discussion?

I'm loving the MP, maps, flow, no lag, lots of different styles and loadouts. Wanna try and really get into it like I did with MW2. Not feeling the love in this thread though!

They took out aim assist on PC. Nuked multiplayer for me.

iNvid02

^^ im keeping that bookmarked, any news on DX11? i've got plenty of other stuff to keep me occupied, only wanna play this maxed out.

EatChildren

iNvidious01 said:
^^ im keeping that bookmarked, any news on DX11? i've got plenty of other stuff to keep me occupied, only wanna play this maxed out.

See at the top of the thread. Crytek dev posted to be patient, but that they are working on it.

PjotrStroganov said:
Still can't get online with my mycrysis or gamespy login so yes.

So I hope the patch fixes this.
Try this one on for size.

I figured, maybe I should delete my account and start over. I did that through the website, and then tried to create a new account in the game. It claimed the username didn't exist. Huh.

Went to MyCrysis.com and tried to log on, and it wouldn't let me. Then I clicked on the forums and voila, I was logged in by the site. Whut.

The whole MyCrysis site still has the beta tag in the title graphic, but my god this is just downright fucking broken.

Dreohboy

DKo5 said:
Tweet from Tiago Sousa, Principle R&D Graphics Programmer from Crytek

http://twitter.com/#!/CRYTEK_TIAGO/status/52034965503873024

Cooking some great DX11 tech bits for C2 fans, be patient guys. All I can say, is that we have 16 ms or more to have fun with pc hardware...

SHIT!!!!!!!!!!

Well...

I completed "Dead Man Walking" yesterday...but I'm going to stop going any further in the SP campaign.

Performance on 4870 has been fine, but I think I'm going to hold off for 4 weeks before I continue that part of the game.

Hopefully I'll be able to afford a GTX 560 ti.

I want to see this baby with better glasses than a 4870.

Dreohboy

NaM said:
Fuck yeah!
I'm only playing multiplayer right now and I'm getting addicted to it. I'll play SP when the DX11 patch is out :D (only played about 2 hours)

Amen brotha.

Gave Crytek my money, but I'm going through the story with better graphics than I've got right now.

Put 4 hours into single player with 3D turned on, wow I wish I woulda gave it a chance earlier, this is easily the best looking 3D game out. (360 version). Blows killzone out of the water in my opinion. Its much easier on the eyes and easier to play. I also used my headphone to play this and wow ive been playing this game wrong since I purchased it last week, the sound is amazing

Hesemonni

Banned
For some reason playing Crysis 2 makes me wanna replay Halo Reach...

Anyway, I'm currently in chapter 14 playing on Veteran. At times the game feels a bit too easy and only during some of the bigger firefights have I died multiple times. Should've opted for Supersoldier difficulty.

Anyway, what's the best strategy to bring down Heavies? I usually snipe their helmets of from afar and finish 'em after that. Also, those 300 nanocyte red eyes I sneak up from behind and stealth kill their asses.

neoism

downloaded 1.6 still get the same bullshit. :( WHAT THE FUCK. the only version that works is 1.2

16hm2ol.jpg

jett

D-Member
Outtrigger888 said:
Put 4 hours into single player with 3D turned on, wow I wish I woulda gave it a chance earlier, this is easily the best looking 3D game out. (360 version). Blows killzone out of the water in my opinion. Its much easier on the eyes and easier to play. I also used my headphone to play this and wow ive been playing this game wrong since I purchased it last week, the sound is amazing

That's funny considering it's barely stereoscopic at all.

derFeef said:
That simply sets the sys_spec_ options to "4" instead of "3" - really curious if that does anything, but I doubt it.
Yeah, I don't think it does anything.

Quick question:

the 1.6 tool config program said:
HDR Level and Bloom Level's default value were both 1. 0 will turn them off.
Motion Blur's default value is 1. You can set it one higher with some noticeable effects.
So to turn on HDR and Bloom I should set it to 1.0? it's default in the program to 0

And the following are default settings in the program:
Radial Blur checkmarked
FSAA checkmarked
Edge AA: Lapace Edge AA (should I go to the second one, Edge AA?)
MSAA: Disabled
Motion blur: Camera and object

What are the recommended settings here?

scently

jett said:
That's funny considering it's barely stereoscopic at all.

I don't get people's obsession with stereoscopy, so long at it achieves the needed result and is impressive, that really is all that matters AFAIMC.

I just read on somethingawful that Crysis 2 can already render in DX10 or DX11 if enabled through a config file.

I believe I have found how to enable DirectX10 (that or I'm having massive placebo when using this):

In autoexec.cfg add the following lines:

r_ShadersDX11=1
r_ShadersDX9=0
r_driver=dx10

--

I don't have a DX11 card, which is why I specified the dx10 path.
Shadows look a bit different now (hard to explain), I'm getting a DOF effect that was not present before, SSAO seems noticeably better, frame-rates have gone up significantly.
The only side-effect is that if I stand too close to objects I sometimes clip&see through them, but this might be because I changed my FOV to 80.

Has anyone here tried this?

Top Bottom