• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

OG_Original Gamer said:
Crysis 2, I believe you have to play it more than once and on higher difficulty to really enjoy it. First time I played and completed the campaign, difficulty was set to normal or soldier. Now the private military soldiers actually run for cover. (not related to difficulty)Some trees can be shot down, but not all of them, It probably depends on the weapon. The Scar really puts the subwoofer to good use, the shotgun as well.
I love the loud sound of the Grendel. Really fun AR to use... shoots in 3 bullet bursts and has madddd stopping power. The sound effects and design in this game are second to none.

StuBurns

Banned
RoboPlato said:
That's really shitty that you got stuck with that glitch. They were kind of cool to fight.
You get to feel like most of the CELL guys feel when they know you're cloaked around them. I think it was pretty funny that they actually included a suit upgrade just for those four guys since they're the only cloaked enemies in the game.
But you still have nanovision, and unlike enemies, you can see the cloaking effect very easily with the naked eye.

However, when you see one of those enemies earlier on, I'm convinced they cut an interesting hunting section that I really want to see.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
StuBurns said:
But you still have nanovision, and unlike enemies, you can see the cloaking effect very easily with the naked eye.

However, when you see one of those enemies earlier on, I'm convinced they cut an interesting hunting section that I really want to see.
I thought the same thing when I saw them earlier on. I think you see them a couple times. Would have been cool to see what they had planned for them.

Miggytronz

RoboPlato said:
I'm think Prophet was controlling you the whole time. His consciousness was in the suit and Alcatraz was essentially dead, just a catalyst for the suit to function. Once it absorbed enough Ceph DNA the suit, Alcatraz, and Prophet became one. I think that Alcatraz couldn't talk because he wasn't in control at all, Prophet was. It was only once Prophet's consciousness took over that he could speak.

makes perfect sense. so
Alcatraz was a Zombie essentially. I had that mindset the whole time, the ending just mind fucked me

LowParry

Yopis said:
So what's the word Gaf is the mp holding up. Leaving in 1 hour to grab something.

I've enjoyed it a lot. You can have your own sort of play style with MP. Cloak it up or run and gun. Only thing that's really dumb is the modes of play you have to unlock as you rank up.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mikasangelos said:
makes perfect sense. so
Alcatraz was a Zombie essentially. I had that mindset the whole time, the ending just mind fucked me
Yep. It also makes this the only game that has a reason for a mute protagonist.

eso76

Heavy said:
Good god almighty at "Unsafe Haven", chapter 12 I believe. This might have been one of the greatest levels of anything I've ever played. Gameplay was fun and Crytek set a new benchmark for visuals, unbelievable. I could watch those big blue energy mortar rounds firing across the map dynamically light the entire environment over and over till my eyes bleed.

yeah, that's the best part of the game. Unsafe Haven, the chapter after that, and the one after.
Although, yeah, by the end you really fight too many
pingers

RoboPlato said:
That's really shitty that you got stuck with that glitch. They were kind of cool to fight.
You get to feel like most of the CELL guys feel when they know you're cloaked around them. I think it was pretty funny that they actually included a suit upgrade just for those four guys since they're the only cloaked enemies in the game.
Maybe not?

There are a few levels in the game where you get a peek at a cloked squid, who seems to be tracking you. You'll see the guy decloak and cloak right before the end of some levels. Any ideas on what thats supposed to be about? I remember seeing one just as you enter the tunnel in the church, and just before city hall.

It kindof reminds me of the cloaked elites you can seek out and kill in Reach legendary. They only appear on the map for a short while but if you can manage to kill them they drop datapads that delve into some of the backstory. But after beating Crysis 2 I have no idea why these guys show up from time to time - but it'd be nice if there was a way to get some use out of that nano upgrade outside of the very last moments of the game.

edit: beaten like a Cell trooper stuck on a magazine rack.

nib95

Banned
StuBurns said:
There must be a lot of console games you find unacceptable then.

Not really, of the recent games I've played on consoles, KZ3, COD Blops (360), Uncharted 2 and GT5. None of them as far as I could tell have the same sort of frame rate woes (except Warzone in KZ3 multiplayer, I tend to stick to Gureilla Warfare). Anyway, not trying to suggest Crysis 2 consoles is un-playable or anything, just highlighting the fact thatI don't think Crytek did a "damn fine" job porting this to consoles.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just had another crazy thought about the implications of the ending. Just a theory that builds off of my earlier one.
I guess you basically play the game as Prophet guiding Alcatraz's actions from inside the suit. The times when you have to defibrillate are times when Alcatraz wouldn't have been able to do anything at all. Prophet had to have triggered that since it wasn't an automated suit system. The player was Prophet the whole time Alcatraz was in the suit. Prophet was essentially playing a videogame.

markao

For people with nVidia cards and some FPS to spare, SGSSAA - 0x000012C1

More info at PCGamesHardware.de forum (German)

sgssaajb9o.jpg

jackdoe

RoboPlato said:
Just had another crazy thought about the implications of the ending. Just a theory that builds off of my earlier one.
I guess you basically play the game as Prophet guiding Alcatraz's actions from inside the suit. The times when you have to defibrillate are times when Alcatraz wouldn't have been able to do anything at all. Prophet had to have triggered that since it wasn't an automated suit system. The player was Prophet the whole time Alcatraz was in the suit. Prophet was essentially playing a videogame.
Well, yeah, the AI was Prophet. Same VA. That's why you don't get the option of a female suit voice and why the AI started saying "Get up marine".

Miggytronz

NullPointer said:
Maybe not?

There are a few levels in the game where you get a peek at a cloked squid, who seems to be tracking you. You'll see the guy decloak and cloak right before the end of some levels. Any ideas on what thats supposed to be about? I remember seeing one just as you enter the tunnel in the church, and just before city hall.

It kindof reminds me of the cloaked elites you can seek out and kill in Reach legendary. They only appear on the map for a short while but if you can manage to kill them they drop datapads that delve into some of the backstory. But after beating Crysis 2 I have no idea why these guys show up from time to time - but it'd be nice if there was a way to get some use out of that nano upgrade outside of the very last moments of the game.

edit: beaten like a Cell trooper stuck on a magazine rack.

I can say that there were a few instances where i saw those
cloaked
aliens.

StuBurns

Banned
nib95 said:
Not really, of the recent games I've played on consoles, KZ3, COD Blops (360), Uncharted 2 and GT5. None of them as far as I could tell have the same sort of frame rate woes (except Warzone in KZ3 multiplayer, I tend to stick to Gureilla Warfare). Anyway, not trying to suggest Crysis 2 consoles is un-playable or anything, just highlighting the fact thatI don't think Crytek did a "damn fine" job porting this to consoles.
KZ3 doesn't maintain 30fps, and KZ2 was even further from it, GT5 is very inconsistent.

Crysis 2 isn't perfect by any stretch, but I think it's by far the most technically impressive cross platform game released so far. When you think of what this game required, the developers had to build a cutting edge multiplatform engine that blows away UE3 and had to make their first console game, and they did both exceptionally well, I'm pretty stunned with the results.

I don't think it's the best looking console game, but it's very close, and as a game it destroys 98% of console shooters ever made.

Yopis

CcrooK said:
I've enjoyed it a lot. You can have your own sort of play style with MP. Cloak it up or run and gun. Only thing that's really dumb is the modes of play you have to unlock as you rank up.

Thanks

Arcipello

im getting some CRAZY shadow popping now that im onto the section where its dark and raining.... its VERY VERY distracting and i dont recall seeing it until now.... im using the autoexec config in the OP....however im not sure if its working considering i have to switch to "Extreme" every single time i run the game, default is high.... so have i got the autoexe.cfg in the right place? i.e the main folder?

Heavy said:
I love the loud sound of the Grendel. Really fun AR to use... shoots in 3 bullet bursts and has madddd stopping power. The sound effects and design in this game are second to none.

Definitely, my subwoofer is a 12" MTX SW2 and cam't get enough of the bass vibrating my chest. Sound design reminds me of Iron Man 2, it does a real good job of hitting each speaker channel.

Tried using Radeon Pro with multi-sampling enabled and what a difference it made, dropped the resolution though to maintain a nice framerate. 1776x1060, IIRC.

RoboPlato said:
This reminds me, I really dig the idea of the
Dead Man Walking in relation to the suit. Both Prophet and Alcatraz got so worn down from internal injuries that they couldnt really survive without the suit filling in the gaps for their splintered bones, and providing stability through all the suit systems. The relationship between the suit and the wearer inverts itself, starting as a force multiplier over a soldier, and in time absorbing the nervous system of that soldier and overcoming the limitations of the human flesh. Throw in the ideas of genetic memories and AI symbiosis of previous suit wearers (very reminiscent of Warhammer 40K here) and you get a pretty interesting take on the whole super soldier archetype. So the soldier at the end is not really Prophet or Alcatraz, but some medley of both, a blended AI over a broken hybrid body (Kindof project 2501-ish). I'm actually intrigued to see where they take this.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
NullPointer said:
This reminds me, I really dig the idea of the
Dead Man Walking in relation to the suit. Both prophet and Alcatraz got so worn down from internal injuries that they couldnt really survive without the suit filling in the gaps for their splintered bones, and providing stability through all the suit systems. The relationship between the suit and the wearer inverts itself, starting as a force multiplier over a soldier, and in time absorbing the nervous system of that soldier and overcoming the limitations of the human flesh. Throw in the ideas of genetic memories and AI symbiosis of previous suit wearers (very reminiscent of Warhammer 40K here) and you get a pretty interesting take on the whole super soldier archetype. So the soldier at the end if not really prophet or alcatraz, but some medley of both, a blended AI over a broken hybrid body (Kindof project 2501-ish). I'm actually intrigued to see where they take this.
I totally agree with you. The ending seemed kind of weird at first but thinking about the implications of it are really interesting and make sense for the science they've set up.

Dennis

Banned
Maximum clarity by turning off AA completely. ATI card.

For nVidia users with very perhaps a dual GPU setup this

markao said:
For people with nVidia cards and some FPS to spare, SGSSAA - 0x000012C1

More info at PCGamesHardware.de forum (German)

sgssaajb9o.jpg

may be an option.

Remember to correct the LOD to avoid blurriness if you use SGSSAA:

- 2x SGSSAA: -0,5
- 4x SGSSAA: -1,0
- 8x SGSSAA: -1,5

are the negative LOD correction values to use. Remember also to disable MSAA and Edge-AA in the autoexec.cfg file.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Just finished PS3 version on normal diffculty and I enjoyed this quite a bit. Was nothing mind blowing, but a solid shooter that is nice to look at.

Crysis 2 is certainly a mix of a lot of games. The main guy felt like Master Chief with super powers definitely with those admiring marines around. Similar fight areas sometimes too, bigsmall fighting. Then there is that destroyed city beauty, with an alien race destroying mankind in a city from many games (Halo, Resistance, Gears). The
floating island scene near the end
felt like
God of War.
. Some nice movie and other references were to be found. 1.2 gigawatts danger message.
Heavy Rain L1/R1 combined with MGS4 crawl scenes.
Kinda nice.

The checkpoint system seemed to be working ok on some parts, and punishive on others. Especially not nice when the game bugs out and you die because of that.

Weapons were good overall, but as usual, the nice ones have no ammo and you end up using the suckier ones. (One single bug had me shooting silenced machine gun shots from my hand. Another had me shooting without a gun).

I did get a bit bored of the firefights towards the ends, and the plot made no sense whatsoever. You just run around and unknown characters are angry at you. Why, who is that, what? I did not play Crysis 1 though, so that might explain it. Explain if you can.

The performance on PS3 was good in my book. The only real slowdown that I noticed was when the enemy
mecha
was shooting these light balls inside
the city hall
into a corner. Framerate went into single digit area, but only occured once and for 5 seconds.

Solid, but a bit unpolished. 8/10 from me.

DennisK4 said:
For nVidia users with very perhaps a dual GPU setup this

Ummm, what? ;)

StuBurns

Banned
Mikasangelos said:
You guys think we'll see a Crysis 2 sequel in say 2 years or Fall next year?
I think two years is a good guess, then a year later Crysis 1 should launch on the next-gen systems, then given a little more time for Crysis 4. Something like that would be nice.

DieH@rd

Banned
NullPointer said:
LOL. I was completely transfixed by the detail that goes into those barriers, and it was one of the first little details that got me to stop in my tracks and stare for a while. I thought I was the only one ;P

Same here, i stopped to look at them in the middle of the firefight. :D

I kinda hope they just start working on Crysis 3 and have it out in 2013 rather than make an expansion. Doubt they'd be able to do both and have C3 out in 2 years, I dunno.

StuBurns

Banned
Has there been a single long lead stand alone console expansion that's been big?

Maybe they'll do a Crysis 2.5, but it'd still be $60.

scitek

DennisK4 said:
Maximum clarity by turning off AA completely. ATI card.

Wait, where's the maximum jaggies? I know you resize, but still... Can you force AA through the drivers with RadeonPro yet?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Tom Penny said:
Multiplayer is a disgrace how bad it is.
How is it bad? My experience has been the most flawless of any game this gen, granted I've only played an hour but that's quite substantial for MP.

I'm on 360 UK, what's are you on if you're having problems?

You know, maybe since the thread has taken a turn for the positive (mostly), maybe its time for a different thread title? In the spirit, I nominate:

Crysis 2 |OT| of I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude.
Crysis 2 |OT| of What the fuck is this? Obviously you're not a golfer.
Crysis 2 |OT| of Where's the fucking money Lebowski?
Crysis 2 |OT| of Nothing is fucked here, Dude. Come on, you're being very un-Dude.
Crysis 2 |OT| of Shut the fuck up, Donny.
Crysis 2 |OT| of Donny, shut the f- when do we play?
Crysis 2 |OT| of Look, nothing is fucked, here, man.
Crysis 2 |OT| Does the Prophet shit in the woods?
Crysis 2 |OT| His life is in your hands, Dude.

Lostconfused said:
Halo 3: ODST
Ding Ding Ding.

nib95

Banned
StuBurns said:
KZ3 doesn't maintain 30fps, and KZ2 was even further from it, GT5 is very inconsistent.

Crysis 2 isn't perfect by any stretch, but I think it's by far the most technically impressive cross platform game released so far. When you think of what this game required, the developers had to build a cutting edge multiplatform engine that blows away UE3 and had to make their first console game, and they did both exceptionally well, I'm pretty stunned with the results.

I don't think it's the best looking console game, but it's very close, and as a game it destroys 98% of console shooters ever made.

KZ3 is near enough the 30fps mark in the campaign, often even in heavy fire fights. This not counting 3D mode or multiplayer mind (which both commonly have frame rate woes, either not as bad or on par with Crysis 2 console's regular Sp campaign performance). GT5's inconsistent but still generally above the 30fps mark. It might drop below 60fps, but in both cases, it's still a LOT better than constantly dropping in nearly every proper firefight and at worst dropping to 14fps in more intense ones as it does in Crysis 2. However you slice it, that is not technically impressive. Not when you have a sub-HD resolution, poor AA implementation, lack of texture filtering, inconsistent textures and fairly average to sub-standard AI. No sorry, a great lighting engine is not enough to excuse all the rest. Talking purely consoles here mind. Not PC.

Lingitiz

kaizoku said:
How is it bad? My experience has been the most flawless of any game this gen, granted I've only played an hour but that's quite substantial for MP.

I'm on 360 UK, what's are you on if you're having problems?
360 mp seems to be holding up pretty well so far, although i've been hearing is that the pc side is having a bunch of issues. On 360 I think it has potential to be big if a few bugs and glitches are sorted out.

Also btw if anyone wants to squad up send me an invite. GT: Geflat0

scently

nib95 said:
KZ3 is near enough the 30fps mark in the campaign, often even in heavy fire fights. This not counting 3D mode or multiplayer mind (which both commonly have frame rate woes, either not as bad or on par with Crysis 2 console's regular Sp campaign performance). GT5's inconsistent but still generally above the 30fps mark. It might drop below 60fps, but in both cases, it's still a LOT better than constantly dropping in nearly every proper firefight and at worst dropping to 14fps in more intense ones as it does in Crysis 2. However you slice it, that is not technically impressive. Not when you have a sub-HD resolution, poor AA implementation, lack of texture filtering, inconsistent textures and fairly average to sub-standard AI. No sorry, a great lighting engine is not enough to excuse all the rest. Talking purely consoles here mind. Not PC.

We get it, it is the worst looking game on consoles and comes nowhere near the holy order that is UC2,GOW3,KZ2,3 and whatever the hell else you want to put on that list. You can sleep easy. Now can we move along?

Top Bottom