• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

TheExodu5

Banned
lowrider007 said:
I tried this on my secondary system, C2D 2.6, 9800gt, 4gb and I really wasn't happy with the performance @ 1680x1050, even when I dropped it down to 720p it still didn't feel very smooth.

I'd honestly go the console version with those specs.

You have FRAPS numbers? It should perform well over 30fps at 720p with those specs. People with 8800GT have been saying ~45fps+ on Gamer setting.

Red

Kinspiracy said:
Torchlight on XBLA chugs on certain occasions. Doesn't make the game bad overall and doesn't lessen how I feel about the game's graphics. I just got Crysis 2 and quite frankly was expecting the framerate to be a nightmare based on certain posts here, but it's not bad at all. And then I remembered that many here are overly harsh and omigod-the-sky-is-falling dramatic. The posts about the story being shit were definitely not overstated, though. Wow you spend all that time making the best looking game on the planet and there's no money left over to pay even a halfway decent writer?
2-3 frames a second isn't a chug. It's a slide show. It is quite literally unplayable.

traveler said:
Got a C2D 3.0 processor, 8800GTX, and 4GB of RAM. I assume this is going to look/perform better on my PC than my PS3?

Yes. If only because of the higher resolution, improved draw distance, and better particle FX / lighting and AA.

Basically everything. It's now that consoles are showing their age and while they are still fine for developing kick ass games that look fantastic, graphically they can't compete with PC's even from a few years back.

Crunched said:
2-3 frames a second isn't a chug. It's a slide show. It is quite literally unplayable.

Yep, makes the game unplayable for those 2 or 3 seconds. Doesn't do a damned thing to change how I feel about the game though since it happens so rarely. And to be fair to the Torchlight dev, they acknowledged the issue and have a fix being readied for it.

DennisK4 said:
Not only is Crysis 2 the best looking game ever made, the performance is ridiculous.

I can't believe I am getting 30 fps at 2560 x 1600 with all settings at maximum with those visuals.....and this with a 2 year old graphics card.

Truly stunning accomplishment by CryTek. I hope CryEngine 3 gets sold a lot so that we get some different types of game RPGs etc. out of this engine.
Dumb question but how are you measuring your framerate? Is there a specific console command to do so? Thanks

Red

Kinspiracy said:
Yep, makes the game unplayable for those 2 or 3 seconds. Doesn't do a damned thing to change how I feel about the game though since it happens so rarely. And to be fair to the Torchlight dev, they acknowledged the issue and have a fix being readied for it.
I can't imagine why Torchlight would run that poorly on XBLA outside of a stutter surrounding load times, which is very different from the performance issues than Crysis 2 has. I'm not going to say you're wrong for enjoying either one, but I'm having a hard time connecting the two points.

fushi

So maybe I didn't pay attention or something, buuuuut... is there a way to see the complete map of your current level? Tab and M don't do nothing. :)

Grisby

Just wanted to drop in and say the game keeps impressing. What online modes is everyone finding to offer the most XP?

The music is really good too. Crytek seemed to knock everything out of the park. Well, except the story but at least its not intrusive or anything with super long cutscenes.

SapientWolf said:
It's mostly noticeable on the tops of objects. And the only other alternative is the blur. It's the kind of thing that makes me wish that PC monitors had unsharpen filters like HDTVs.

Crytek's postMSAA doesn't produce any blur at all and does a very good job anti-aliasing the scene while barely affecting performance.

Be sure to have:

r_PostMSAA=2
r_UseEdgeAA=0
r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV = 0

all in your autoexec.cfg file.

No idea why you'd want to use the uniform blur that negative "sharpness" settings produce, even the basic edgeAA algorithms are much smarter than that.

Oh and another tip. The ingame AF seems to be variable, the config file only sets the maximum value used, it doesn't uniformly apply it. So be sure to apply 12x/16x AF from your drivers in order to keep all textures sharp.

Crunched said:
I can't imagine why Torchlight would run that poorly on XBLA outside of a stutter surrounding load times, which is very different from the performance issues than Crysis 2 has. I'm not going to say you're wrong for enjoying either one, but I'm having a hard time connecting the two points.

The point is a framerate hiccup here and there isn't going to make me go apeshit and hate on a game. In the case of Crysis 2 the drops are rare, and when they occur it doesn't affect gameplay. In Torchlight they occur in the extra dungeon when tons of mobs and bosses are grouped up and I AOE. It mostly definitely does affect gameplay, but I look past it because its so rare. Runic blames it on particle effects etc and said they're addressing it. Reading posts here I was worried that Crysis 2 on my 360 was going to be plagued by framerate issues. I'm pleasantly surprised to find that the issue was completely overblown.

I was quite frankly expecting the framerate to be as bad as Mass Effect 1's.

Finished this a couple of hours ago and really did enjoy it, missed some of the really open bits from Crysis and Warhead, but the suit powers seemed a lot more flexible now that it somewhat evened out.

2 pieces of advice for people coming in to this:
  1. Just play it and decide if it's how you want your Crysis as you do rather than upfront, it really isn't as bad as I believed it would be losing the jungle (not that I don't miss it, especially the constrained vehicle sections)
  2. r_multithreaded=1 is a huge help for framerates, made my minimum approx. 45 from 20 on this config at 1680*1050
Code:
sys_spec_shading=2
sys_spec_gameeffects=2
sys_spec_objectdetail=2
sys_spec_particles=2
sys_spec_physics=2
sys_spec_postprocessing=2
sys_spec_shadows=2
sys_spec_sound=2
sys_spec_texture=2
sys_spec_water=2
g_skipIntro=1
cl_fov=72
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=72
i_mouse_accel=0
i_mouse_accel_max=100
i_mouse_smooth=0
r_motionblur=1
g_radialBlur=1
cl_zoomToggle=1
r_UseEdgeAA=2
r_TexMaxAnisotropy=4
r_PostMSAA=1
cl_crouchtoggle=1
r_ColorGrading=1
r_SSAO=1
r_VSync=0
r_MotionBlurShutterSpeed=65
e_shadows=1
g_enableInitialLoginScreen=0
r_HDRBloomMul=0
r_HDRBrightLevel=0
r_MultiThreaded=1
175 pics I took as I progressed (spoilers and in reverse order):

http://steamcommunity.com/id/darkflight/screenshots/?tab=&showdate=1&filter=app_99830

Kinspiracy said:
Oh god no. You're that rabid PS3 fanboy from the IGN Boards. I can't escape you.
Bahaha that made me lol

Nekrono said:
Hey guys, just found out of another config tool program, this one seems much more complete and with more options. This guy seems to have more experience as well. He has been working on this since the demo and v5 is out for the retail game.

Link

Download.

Credit goes to RJayW.
Only difference I see between the two is that this one has "volumetric effects" as an option...

Darkflight said:
r_multithreaded=1 is a huge help for framerates, made my minimum approx. 45 from 20 on this config at 1680*1050
Really? How come no one else has mentioned this... gonna try it now

bill.cosby

Neo Member
Really truly enjoyed the game. Surprised me because i was initially very disappointed with the DX9 only thing, the removal of open ended gameplay.

The game ended up looking fine despite some odd decisions here and there (flat bullet casing textures, wtf?). I just found the gameplay to be fun. The shooting was much improved and felt far better than the first Crysis imo. The suit implementation ended up being much better, allowing for free form tackling of situations more so than I thought it would.

Story was throwaway, but decent enough to keep the player moving. And it managed to be lengthy without feeling very padded. Surprised to say this is my opinion, but this is Crytek's best game thus far.

I've finished one playthrough on the 360 and am going through a second time on Veteran - and I'm not seeing any framerate issues some are talking about - nothing moreso than other games. Reach has more framerate issues than Crysis 2.

The only issues I run into are occasional pop-in and some bad AI.

Having 100s of dynamic lights in the scene and having them all able to cast shadows (only with PC extreme settings) is just jaw dropping. No other real time lighting/shadowing system comes close.

Red

Kinspiracy said:
The point is a framerate hiccup here and there isn't going to make me go apeshit and hate on a game. In the case of Crysis 2 the drops are rare, and when they occur it doesn't affect gameplay. In Torchlight they occur in the extra dungeon when tons of mobs and bosses are grouped up and I AOE. It mostly definitely does affect gameplay, but I look past it because its so rare. Runic blames it on particle effects etc and said they're addressing it. Reading posts here I was worried that Crysis 2 on my 360 was going to be plagued by framerate issues. I'm pleasantly surprised to find that the issue was completely overblown.

I was quite frankly expecting the framerate to be as bad as Mass Effect 1's.
That's fair enough, but it's my assumption that the frame rates issues are exactly as bad as many here are explaining, but that you don't mind it. I'm going to guess you're primarily a console gamer, in which case the frame rate isn't really anything out of the ordinary except under very intense firefights.

I do agree on X Box Mass Effect being the leading big-name benchmark for terrible performance, though, haha.

ZeroRay

NullPointer said:
I've finished one playthrough on the 360 and am going through a second time on Veteran - and I'm not seeing any framerate issues some are talking about - nothing moreso than other games. Reach has more framerate issues than Crysis 2.

The framerate was horrible early on in the game to the point where I was annoyed.

It improves tremendously though, right when the game starts getting good in fact.

Blizzard

Banned
Lostconfused said:
I want my speed mode and throw back.
You can still pick up things and hold the button to throw them further, right? I guess the furthest throw distance is significantly less than the previous games, however?

Jaw_Drop_x2.jpg

That bridge collapse :eek:

Heavy said:
Bahaha that made me lol

Only difference I see between the two is that this one has "volumetric effects" as an option...

Really? How come no one else has mentioned this... gonna try it now
I played 3 hours then got the 'melee not working' bug, so quit to fix it, noticed someone mention that cvar (forget where) applied it and loaded back up to find fraps sitting there with '60' which it hadn't done at any point up to there, whole experience was incredibly smooth afterwards.

Running on a i7 920 clocked to 3.3Ghz and a stock 5870, load times are nice and short on an SSD to boot, shame they didn't make them seamless by hiding them behind the videos.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ZeroRay said:
The framerate was horrible early on in the game to the point where I was annoyed.

It improves tremendously though, right when the game starts getting good in fact.
Yeah, it's the same on PS3. Kind of odd that there's a lack of optimization early on, especially since there's a lot less going on in those chapters.

scently

NullPointer said:

My sentiments exactly.

Dennis

Banned
4xMSAA at 2560x1600 looks like this. SLI and CrossFire have to be disabled or there will be flickering probems wth 4xMSAA.

Red

SapientWolf said:
Throw is still there. The speed is fine, it just looks slower. All you have to do is turn up the FOV for sprint.
Unless single player has changed from the multi demo, I'm positive speed has been greatly reduced.

Man, gotta say...

Got to Hargreave's building, in the lobby where the security desk is. The view outside the window, with the water going up like 20 feet of the glass with a view of outside and underwater with all that debris: holy fuck.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Winterblink said:
Man, gotta say...

Got to Hargreave's building, in the lobby where the security desk is. The view outside the window, with the water going up like 20 feet of the glass with a view of outside and underwater with all that debris: holy fuck.
Yeah, that was an amazing view. It's also really different than the usual views of destruction that you usually get in games.

I finally realized what bothers me so much about the AI.

Unlike the original, enemies react to what you do, not what they see you do. This may not seem like much, but it makes playing in alternative ways much more annoying. HUGE downgrade.

Example: in the original, if you took out 3 soldiers quickly by shooting them with a silencer then the alarm or the awareness bar would never go up. In C2, if you kill en enemy in the head from behind, with a silencer, with no one around, the alarm will go up.
If you kill an enemy, even if no one sees you, they will radio-in saying that you killed someone anyways.

Also, I was fully cloaked and somehow an enemy 40 feet away managed to see me.

Just checking as i haven't been able to play all weekend. Has the MP been fixed yet.
Not sure if it was just AUS servers, but i couldn't get into any of them on thursday they were all just sitting there full and not starting. Update on this would be appreciated.

pakkit

Banned
I think the biggest surprise regarding this game is how solid the artwork is. I've always thought of Crytek as a technically sound developer, but their enemy and set designs haven't impressed me nearly as much as Crysis 2 has (and I'm in the home stretch). Even if the graphics aren't the next-gen fap fest you had hoped for, Crytek definitely was able to create some impressive environments to explore.

A few to highlight (spoilers, obviously):
The night time stage with the flares and explosives soaring over your head, the partially destroyed hotel building, Hargreave's building, and, of course, floating Central Park

Nizz

RoboPlato said:
Yeah, it's the same on PS3. Kind of odd that there's a lack of optimization early on, especially since there's a lot less going on in those chapters.
I noticed this as well. The framerate seems to hold up better in the later areas. The game's still plenty playable but I do wish it was a locked 30fps 99.99% of the time.

What sensitivities are you guys on PS3/360 playing at? It seems like there's a slight acceleration in the right stick. I'm playing at 90% so that as soon as I hit the stick to turn it's instant.

squicken

Wonderful game. Amazing. So much butt hurt and whining around this game. It definitely reminds me of the best bits of Halo, where you are given a huge open area and can tackle it as you please.

The exception being the vehicles, as Bungie are really the only developers who understand how to make vehicle sections fun.

But Jesus wtf at the story? Is it even there? Where were the guys from the first game? It seemed like every time that scientist was going to give some exposition he got cut off. I'm guessing the email conversations I was supposed to collect contained all the narrative, which is a really stupid way to do things. Just let the "lol videogame stories" crowd have skippable cutscenes.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Crunched said:
Unless single player has changed from the multi demo, I'm positive speed has been greatly reduced.
There was a whole debate about this issue during the beta. Some guy found that the absolute speed was the same but someone else said that it didn't matter because it looked so much slower.

Red

Igor Antunov said:
Console gamers....
Huh? Halo does give you some massive areas to explore. It's the very least of "corridor shooters" on consoles.

SapientWolf said:
There was a whole debate about this issue during the beta. Some guy found that the absolute speed was the same but someone else said that it didn't matter because it looked so much slower.
Perhaps I'm wrong then. I compared them myself with equal FOVs and C2 seemed far slower. Nothing empirical though.

Gvaz

Banned
Heavy said:
That's a pretty good description of a weak protagonist if I've ever heard one. At least we could relate with Gordon.

So far for me, Hargreave is the most interesting character. Love his voice actor and writing.
Have you never played Half Life? it's exactly the freaking same.

RoboPlato said:
Hahaha. Yeah, he's definitely taking it slow. I can't wait to see his night shots.
God yes. This game looks much better at dusk and night. But screenshots may not convey how impressive a lit New York city intersection looks in the middle of a firefight, or the subtle effects on your visor of looking at spouting jets of flame. Daytime looked good to great, but night time made my jaw drop.

SapientWolf said:

The "test" methodology from the video was pretty dodgy iirc. The timer for Crysis 1 shit was stopped only after the movement animation had stopped (even though he had no forward momentum and had already closed the distance), whereas in C2 it was stopped as soon as they hit the wall. There was a big fight in the comments section about it.

Loam

Really enjoyed single player but I have to say I wish Crysis' multiplayer didn't try so hard to be a COD clone. Between being able to turn invisible, increase armor, and do crazy stuff like fling cars and ground pound enemies it really had the potential to be something special. Instead everything just seems to fall kind of flat. You have this crazy super suit that gives you all these awesome powers, yet I feel like I'm never able to use any of them to their full potential because I die in such a low number of hits.

Armor mode is probably the best example of this. You greatly sacrifice mobility and turn into a giant glowing shoot me sign for the ability to shrug off some damage, yet I barely notice the effect at all. I can drop out of cloak directly in front of someone already armored up and drop them before they even have a chance to react. It also makes me wonder why you would even bother to unlock or use the weapons/attachments like the electrostatic pellet gun or gauss option that sacrifice damage for the ability to drain energy when normal bullets accomplish the same task.

I honestly think multiplayer would be much better off if you had a significantly increased health pool. They turned Crysis into COD without giving you any of the survivability options that it had such as prone or lean. Granted I see tons of people enjoying it so maybe I'm missing something.

Top Bottom