• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Class_A_Ninja said:
Sorry to bring this to the thread, but I have no demos to go by.

PC:
CPU: 2.4 C2duo E6600
Ram: 4 gigs
GPU: GTX 480 1 gig.

Or Xbox 360 (or PS3...)

I actually bought warhead cheap so I guess I can see how that runs on my PC if it would be any gauge. My processor burned me on Black Ops PC, and I don't know if my heart can take it any more.

PC, dont get burnt by the Black Ops cluster fuck that it is, C2 runs like an absolute beast on the PC and runs far better than Black Ops ever did on my system (and probably ever will).

Edit - Also, anyone know whats with console commands ? Cant get any of the oldies to work.... is it restricted ?

jackdoe

Class_A_Ninja said:
Sorry to bring this to the thread, but I have no demos to go by.

PC:
CPU: 2.4 C2duo E6600
Ram: 4 gigs
GPU: GTX 480 1 gig.
As a comparison, I have a E8400 C2Duo with a GTX 460 and am running it on extreme settings at 1680 x 1050 at 35 to 55 fps. The fact of the matter is that even on the lowest setting, the PC version still outstrips the console versions.

Heavy said:
Wow, the weirdest thing just happened. I loaded up Crysis 2 then alt-tabbed to read the thread and those pics looked way darker than I remembered. Sure enough, exited out of the game and they're back to normal. Any idea?

If you go mess with your brightness settings, it changes your entire desktop. I only noticed because I dual monitor.

Kind of weird, gamma is some system setting and not just the game. At least, on my nVidia card (you never know, it might be a driver thing?).

Does anyone else see a ton of flickering on distant blurry buildings? I think it's the lighting and DOF, because it goes in and out when I ADS at the far distance. I noticed it on the part where I'm running around on rooftops in the daytime...like before dead man walking or whatever that chapter is named. It's like it's simulating blown out high noon, but it's pretty distracting.

jackdoe said:
As a comparison, I have a E8400 C2Duo with a GTX 460 and am running it on extreme settings at 1680 x 1050 at 35 to 55 fps. The fact of the matter is that even on the lowest setting, the PC version still outstrips the console versions.

Whoops, I meant GTX 460. But that is a good reference point for me.

also:
brain_stew said:
You should never have bought that 480 without some sort of plan to upgrade your CPU (a cheap second hand Q6600 will do just fine once OCed), you're crippling that thing. If you can afford to buy the most expensive GPU you could buy at the time then surely $100-$200 spent on the CPU can be justified?

Yeah, I bought it because I figured I could squeeze what I could out of my current PC and pass the GPU onto the next comp I built. The plan was to upgrade this spring, but I went with a 3DS instead. I'm probably looking at upgrading the motherboard and CPU for Skyrim.

Dennis

Banned
Class_A_Ninja said:
Whoops, I meant GTX 460. But that is a good reference point for me.
Yeah, you are definitely looking at 30 fps with all max settings at 1680x1050, so way beyond the consoles.

Red

Mmmm yeah I'm liking that gif much better than the pics on the last page. Detail doesn't suddenly drop off in the shadows there and there're no glaring flares.

hteng

Banned
im playin on my ASUS G73JW and it performs very well. I can play at 1920 x 1080 on Advanced settings with framerates around 30-40ish, the one thing i don't like about advanced settings are the pop ups, they are very obvious and another bug where sometimes my screen goes completely black when an explosion occurs closeby (anyone have this issue? i dont experience it in hardcore settings).

On hardcore settings i have to drag the resolution down to 1333x768, but i can get the occasional 60 fps when im indoors.

itsnervedamage said:
If you go mess with your brightness settings, it changes your entire desktop. I only noticed because I dual monitor.

Kind of weird, gamma is some system setting and not just the game. At least, on my nVidia card (you never know, it might be a driver thing?).
Yeah, it is weird. Any idea on how to fix it? Should I just up the gamma in the desktop much higher before taking the vid or what...

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
holy shit those gifs are huuuge.

I wondered why my browser locked up just then.

can't you just provide the link instead? it's a bit much

Dennis

Banned
Omiee said:
Are you kidding me? Looking at some of your screens in the screenshot thread you would think you have 2 480's or something.
So i should be able to get the same graphics as you get with my 2x 6950 when i eventually get crossfire to work =(
Yes.

You must make sure to turn off Edge-AA if you want to have the same look as my screenshots.

CrossFire doesn't seem to work properly with 4xMSAA.

I've tried a few tricks to get rid of the Crossfire flickering issue, to no avail. So far, I've just used my one 5770, and it's fine, but I bought the other one for a reason. The game runs great with them both on, but I feel like I'm going to have a seizure when I play.

Patiently waiting for a patch.

Nekrono

Omiee said:
Are you kidding me? Looking at some of your screens in the screenshot thread you would think you have 2 480's or something.
So i should be able to get the same graphics as you get with my 2x 6950 when i eventually get crossfire to work =(

Dude you can get the same graphics with a single 6950.

Nekrono

Omiee said:
i dont know though, maybe because i havent tried the extra settings.
but his gif's for some reason look better.

Actually you can get the same graphics and better perfomance as well.

2560.png

Mind you that is from the 'beta', now the game runs better. Those are 'Extreme' settings as well.

If you want that clarity turn off MSAA by adding this line to your config r_PostMSAA=0.

Omiee

Nekrono said:
Actually you can get the same graphics and perfromance as well.

2560.png

Mind you that is from the 'beta', now the game runs better. Those are 'Extreme' settings.

If you want that clarity turn off MSAA by adding this line to your config r_PostMSAA=0.

thanks man will do, see if it looks better.

*sigh* I'm sick of trying to adjust LODs in this game to no avail. Nothing changes, ever. I found the pop in to be really distracting at Very High, so I copied the LOD settings from a config posted a few pages back and that seemed to remove much of the pop in while still giving me better framerate than Extreme settings. However I'm not getting 60fps all the time, so I've been trying to adjust settings, but nothing happens in-game.

I've tried to change these:

Code:
e_ViewDistMin = 20
e_ViewDistRatio = 200
e_ViewDistRatioCustom = 200
e_ViewDistRatioDetail = 200
e_ViewDistRatioLights = 100
e_ViewDistRatioVegetation = 200
r_DetailDistance=10
e_TerrainLodRatio=0.1

Nothing changes. It doesn't matter if it's 1 or 1000. I don't understand. I've also put

Code:
sys_spec=4
sys_spec_ObjectDetail = 4

To make sure the game isn't overriding anything. The console isn't returning any errors. Please someone help me out here.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
D4Danger said:
holy shit those gifs are huuuge.

I wondered why my browser locked up just then.

can't you just provide the link instead? it's a bit much
Your computer might not be fast enough to run the Crysis 2 thread.

Dennis

Banned
Edge-AA has to be disabled for clarity.

Ridiculous that Crysis 2 doesn't come with an in-game option to turn that hideous vaseline filter off.

You know dumbing-down have gone to far when they don't trust you to make a decision between aliasing and clarity.

Xanathus

SapientWolf said:
Your computer might not be fast enough to run the Crysis 2 thread.
Post your Crysis 2 thread config settings and screenshots of the thread so we know how good it looks on your rig.

Keyser Soze said:
I always use this for GIFs

It's AVI to GIF only though
http://download.cnet.com/Video-AVI-to-GIF-JPEG-Converter/3000-2194_4-10379741.html

edit - ..oops, thats not 100% free (watermark on trial version). I had it so long I forgot
I feel like I'm searching for the Holy Grail. Everything I download requires the full paid version to do critical things like save it to your hard drive or no watermark. I'm determined to slay this beast before the night is done!

Heavy said:
I feel like I'm searching for the Holy Grail. Everything I download requires the full paid version to do critical things like save it to your hard drive or no watermark. I'm determined to slay this beast before the night is done!

VirtualDub

Nekrono

Alienshogun said:
The single player was good, but the MP in this game just isn't fun.

Yup, it will get old and forgotten soon.

For some reason i had more fun with it in the demo, now it's incredibly boring.

Trickster

Playing through Crysis 2 really makes in painfully obvious how poorly optimized Crysis 1 was. Crysis 2 both runs much, much better and it also looks much better.

But most of all, it's actually fun, something the first Crysis wasn't. Job well done, Crytek.

Nekrono

Trickster said:
Playing through Crysis 2 really makes in painfully obvious how poorly optimized Crysis 1 was. Crysis 2 both runs much, much better and it also looks much better.

But most of all, it's actually fun, something the first Crysis wasn't. Job well done, Crytek.
You were obviously playing it the wrong way then.

Especially since the combat is more fun and rewarding than Crysis 2.

jackdoe

Trickster said:
I have to disagree. I'm replaying Crysis 1 now that I beat Crysis 2, and it is extremely fun.

Trickster said:

PC elitists are gonna grill you for that and complain it runs better only because it's multiplatform and was designed for consoles!!!

And I also didn't like the first Crysis.

-GOUKI-

Trickster said:

Crysis levels > Crysis 2 levels.

Not a bad thing off course but its obvious that the scale of the game coupled with the vegatation was the reason for the high hardware demands. On interior levels in Crysis i'll easilly get 60fps. Once you step outside, its a different story.

Top Bottom