• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

This is going to come as a shock :)P) but I agree with him. For me, Crysis 2 >>>>>> Crysis 1 in terms of fun factor. It took me like 9 months to beat Crysis 1 when I first bought it because I kept putting it off due to lack of motivation and boredom, yet I'm completely hooked on the sequel and playing it every day since release. There's just a lot more action and less downtime. NYC feels packed with shit to do and bitches to kill.

Ogs said:
VirtualDub

Thanks, great program. The GIF quality takes a huge hit but I guess that's to be expected.

jackdoe

Heavy said:
This is going to come as a shock :)P) but I agree with him. For me, Crysis 2 >>>>>> Crysis 1 in terms of fun factor. It took me like 9 months to beat Crysis 1 when I first bought it because I kept putting it off due to lack of motivation and boredom, yet I'm completely hooked on the sequel and playing it every day since release. There's just a lot more action and less downtime. NYC feels packed with shit to do and bitches to kill.
If Crysis 2 had a better end game, then I would no doubt think it the better game for campaign. BUT
the lack of an epic encounter at the end of the game (four stupid "elite" units that got stuck on geometry and posed no threat does not count) kind of disappointed me. Crysis 1 had a great end, where you took out a large boss with a mini nuke on the deck of a carrier in the rain. I figured Crysis 2 would try to one up that somehow. Instead we got stuck with the "jump into the tower and get rewarded with a poorly encoded FMV sequence". Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed Crysis 2, but the endgame pales in comparison to Crysis 1's.

Nekrono

People easily come to this thread posting how Crysis 2 is much better than the first one, especially when it comes to performance but they don't seem to take into account the scale of both games, even the biggest levels in Crysis 2 don't compare to Crysis 1 in which you could see miles and miles of terrain and reachable areas filled with vegetation, etc.

Just remember how the alien ship level ran in the first game, most people got 30+ fps if not 60.

Crysis 2 does look pretty but it suffers from vaseline filter, not so sharp textures, over the top motion blur, pure post-processing effects, etc, like Killzone for example, even though they are great and pretty i couldn't really say they are pushing the boundries (something the first Crysis did).

hteng

Banned
MrTroubleMaker said:
I hope the nano catalyst bug gets fixed soon. I stopped playing because of it, and it so hard to stop, I want to play some more.

yea it sucks but in no way will it affect your gameplay, you can still beat it with the basic perks like armor, speed enhance. Stealth enhance makes the game becomes easy mode lol.
deflection perk sucks, regen perk is good.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
It's one thing to say Crysis 2 is better. It's another to say that Crysis 1 had no fun to be found.
No need to put words in my mouth. I didn't say there was "no fun to be found" or anything resembling that. It's one of my favorite games of all time, but I think the sequel is a lot more FUN to play.

I enjoyed the game, but not as much as Crysis vanilla. Of some note is the absence of any kind atmosphere in the sequel, which the jungles of the original provided in spades. Give it 6 months, and most will agree the sequel just doesnt have the magic and pizazz of the original.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I finished crysis over a dozen times, and as awesome as I think this game is I can't see myself doing the same here.

Trickster

Nekrono said:
You were obviously playing it the wrong way then.

Especially since the combat is more fun and rewarding than Crysis 2.

Is this the game where we say the other person is wrong because he has a different oppinion? Because I can play that game as well if we are.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
http://i54.tinypic.com/jrs38m.jpg

Not really, just my honest oppinion.

-GOUKI- said:
Crysis levels > Crysis 2 levels.

Crysis 2 levels are great, gone is the leveldesign from Crysis 1, which basically boiled down to huuuge jungle level full of nothing but a lot of trees and some camps spread throughout it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
luka said:
I finished crysis over a dozen times, and as awesome as I think this game is I can't see myself doing the same here.
Crysis 2 is a well-done linear science-fiction shooter, but it lacks the "sandbox" feel of the original, which is why i don't see myself replaying it as much as i did with crysis 1.

You were obviously playing it the wrong way then.

Especially since the combat is more fun and rewarding than Crysis 2.
To be fair i can easily see how someone could prefer crysis 2 over crysis 1 and vice versa, there's really no wrong opinion in that case, except for crysis 1 being a "boring" game.:p

hteng

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
Does this game ever become good? I'm on the fifth last level.

uhh if you aren't enjoying it now, then i don't see how you will enjoy it later.
gameplay is pretty much fixed from the first 2 hours onwards, get to an area, scan, wreck havoc.

the aren't many enemy variety imo, theres only 3 types of human enemies and 5 types of alien enemies, of which 2 of them are just enhanced versions of existing aliens.

Nekrono

Trickster said:
Is this the game where we say the other person is wrong because he has a different oppinion? Because I can play that game as well if we are.

No, is this the game were you say a game isn't fun just because you didn't play it correctly/have fun with it?

You are certainly in the minority with an argument like that, Crysis 1 is FAR from not being a fun game.

Trickster

Nekrono said:
No, is this the game were you say a game isn't fun just because you didn't play it correctly/have fun with it?

You are certainly in the minority with an argument like that, Crysis 1 is FAR from not being a fun game.

Oh that's why you got mad? Will you be happy if I add "imo" to my post?

hteng said:
uhh if you aren't enjoying it now, then i don't see how you will enjoy it later.
gameplay is pretty much fixed from the first 2 hours onwards, get to an area, scan, wreck havoc.

the aren't many enemy variety imo, theres only 3 types of human enemies and 5 types of alien enemies, of which 2 of them are just enhanced versions of existing aliens.

I'm genuinely curious as to whether there are people are on here who hate Resistance 2 yet love Crysis 2's campaigns as those two extremes seem to be the consensus on GAF. I find the two to be similar except Crysis trades in the interesting weaponry for turning invisible. All I really see is a bunch of crap AI, odd design decisions, terrible checkpointing, a story that makes no sense whatsoever, and extremely indecisive player cues. The one thing which I feel the game really has going for it (the stealth) is has been gimped heavily in this game and the stealth kills are the most inconsistent prompts I've seen in a game in a while.

The graphics are fairly decent though.

And the "Tactical Options Available" has to be the dumbest shit I've seen in a game this year. I really need to put my gun away so the game can tell me that I can snipe enemies from afar, or that bridge with the broken guard-rail at a reachable height is climbable via a ledge grab? I can understand if they made it for babies, but they practically force it down my throat and it was almost mandatory in one part.

scitek

c2lights1ynic.gif

c2lights29nh0.gif

Heavy said:
No need to put words in my mouth. I didn't say there was "no fun to be found" or anything resembling that. It's one of my favorite games of all time, but I think the sequel is a lot more FUN to play.

You said you agreed with him, and he said that Crysis 1 wasn't fun. ;)

Not sure how this is going to work as this is my first time using Dropbox.com but here's a 73 mb gif lmao: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24569460/12.gif

scitek said:
YESSSSS! That's what I was talking about earlier. You have won the GIF wars, my friend.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
You said you agreed with him, and he said that Crysis 1 wasn't fun. ;)
Well, I didn't mean it like that, my apologies for the confusion.

jackdoe

TouchMyBox said:
The one thing which I feel the game really has going for it (the stealth) is has been gimped heavily in this game and the stealth kills are the most inconsistent prompts I've seen in a game in a while.
I completely agree with this. Also, CryTek should have added more than two animations for the stealth kills.

Nekrono

Trickster said:
Oh that's why you got mad? Will you be happy if I add "imo" to my post?
Lol i'm not mad, but your argument wouldn't have gotten so many responses like it did if you had it phrased correctly :p

That's like me going into the WoW thread and saying it's not fun, I know the game is fun and a lot of people play it/like it but it's just not fun for me.

scitek said:
On what? PC?

Yeah. I guess it looks pretty good maxed out, whatever. It does have a faked 3D mode though which has horrible artifacting (borders around the screen that are filled by stretching out the last row of pixels and an outline around my gun where everything is at the wrong depth. It looks bad if I look at it, but it is nice to play a game in 3D (faked or not) at 60fps.

Trickster

Nekrono said:
Lol i'm not mad, but your argument wouldn't have gotten so many responses like it did if you had it phrased correctly :p

That's like me going into the WoW thread and saying it's not fun, I know the game is fun and a lot of people play it/like it but it's just not fun for me.

That's fair enough I guess. Honestly I wasn't trying to cause a reaction, just wanted to express that I felt Crysis 2 is a huge improvement over the original.

Heavy said:
lol the actual GIF or the ridic size of it?

Mainly the size. Is it supposed to be fluid or look like 7-8 screenshots btw? :p

yanhero

So guys, what video card should I get? I want an Nvidia one for 3d vision. I was thinking either 460x2 or 570, or is there something else thats a better deal?

Edit: Woops, meant to post this in the PC thread, but this thread will do too, I'm getting it for Crysis 2 anyway.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Are there any Crysis 1 mods (yet) that make the suit work like the one in Crysis 2? I think the controls in 2 are much more fun. The only thing I would change is to make hold Q/E lean left/right and something like double tap Q/E armor/stealth... Everything else is great in 2. If they could mod the stealth kills in 1 too, it would be even sweeter...

Nekrono

Trickster said:
That's fair enough I guess. Honestly I wasn't trying to cause a reaction, just wanted to express that I felt Crysis 2 is a huge improvement over the original.

That's fine, a lot of people are providing the same feedback, but then again a lot of people are not and still agree the first one is better. Crysis 2 is definitely not a bad game though.

At this point I guess the overall feedback from everyone would be around 50-50.

Alextended said:
Are there any Crysis 1 mods (yet) that make the suit work like the one in Crysis 2? I think the controls in 2 are much more fun. The only thing I would change is to make hold Q/E lean left/right and something like double tap Q/E armor/stealth... Everything else is great in 2. If they could mod the stealth kills in 1 too, it would be even sweeter...

I know for a fact that you can use shortcuts for the suit in the original, but they probably require some tweaking to choose the keybinds I think, I really don't know as i always used the mouse wheel :p.

yanhero said:
So guys, what video card should I get? I want an Nvidia one for 3d vision. I was thinking either 460x2 or 570, or is there something else thats a better deal?

You can really go wrong with either. I have a suspicion that 3D vision is better with SLI (though it wouldn't make a difference in crysis 2 in its current state, as real 3D rendering might be patched in at a later date) but I have no proof to back that up. I personally prefer single card solutions though.

TouchMyBox said:
Chrome (which seems to always had problems rendering GIFs in one way or another) hates your gif.
100 glorious uncompressed 1080P Crysis 2 screens put together in a single animation? Like Chrome ever had a chance muahaha :p

Dreohboy

Lafiel said:
To be fair i can easily see how someone could prefer crysis 2 over crysis 1 and vice versa, there's really no wrong opinion in that case, except for crysis 1 being a "boring" game.:p

+1

But, if a person doesn't enjoy "sandbox" type games I can also very easily see how that person could find the original Crysis boring.

jackdoe said:
I completely agree with this. Also, CryTek should have added more than two animations for the stealth kills.
On this - I'm loving the stealth in this game. I think out of the scores of enemies I have stealth killed I have only ever whiffed with an accidental melee a handful of times, it never gets boring though - I just love watching the aliens go limp as you pull the knife from the skull. Meanwhile - I've just noticed that I can fire single fire mode silenced bullets for instant headshots, I feel like the fucking predator when clearing out the substation while doing that with a laser sight scar.

Does the silenced shot without breaking cloak work in MP?

Also I have just gotten the syringe in SP - how far am I through the game? Everytime I think it's going to end, something fuck awesome happens and I'm more and more impressed by how 'meaty' the campaign is.

I'll echo the sentiment that the story is all over the place. The concept is great, NY being destroyed is so well done it puts apocalypse movies to shame, and the whole idea of playing as the suit is well done. However I tend to have no idea why I am following orders from certain people, why my character is doing many things, and overall - what the overarching invasion is all about. It's a credit to Crytek then, that I am still enjoying the campaign so much.

Also, the Ceph sound awesome. They almost sound like Decepticons from the Transformers movies, just really well done and scary.

aeolist

Banned
It's more fun when you limit yourself to specific weapons.

I played for a while with sniper rifle + hammer only, that was fun.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I put some time into the multiplayer tonight and I'm enjoying it more than I expected to. It's not great but it's solid.

felipepl said:
According to Maximum PC it's been confirmed by Crytek.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/cr...ced_graphics_settings”_being_patched_tomorrow
Crysis 2 has been taking quite a bit of heat around the web for a perceived lack of PC polish, and while much of this criticism is unjustified, the release of a new patch tomorrow should help bridge the gap for offended enthusiasts. According to a German website (and now confirmed by Crytek), DirectX 11 support is being patched in as of tomorrow, along with a new “Advanced Graphics menu” for those who like to tweak the special effects for maximum performance.

Crysis 2 did a pretty amazing job of showing us what is still possible in DirectX9, but lets face it, if your GPU supports tessellation, you’re probably an enthusiast who isn’t known for being particularly reasonable about your demands, and that’s why we love you!

If you were looking for a DirectX 11 killer app this just might be it. You can call it a console port if you like, but this latest update will ensure Crysis 2 will be making PC’s across the globe groan for years to come.

Peterthumpa

I hope that DX11 is able to bring performance improvements with the same image quality, not the opposite. Sure, with tessellation and more turned on, I expect a slower framerate, but I think that this time we can have the better looking game ever launched until now without making it kill the best system out there for nothing.

If this is true Crytek should think about sacking their PR team because it makes no sense not to announce before release that "DX11 will be out about a week after launch" instead of letting all this negativity brew about it being DX9.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
felipepl said:
I hope that DX11 is able to bring performance improvements with the same image quality, not the opposite. Sure, with tessellation and more turned on, I expect a slower framerate, but I think that this time we can have the better looking game ever launched until now without making it kill the best system out there for nothing.
When has it ever? The first thing I do when I'm having performance issues is add -d3dx9 to the shortcut commands.

Top Bottom