• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

StuBurns

Banned
Heavy said:
If this is true Crytek should think about sacking their PR team because it makes no sense not to announce before release that "DX11 will be out about a week after launch" instead of letting all this negativity brew about it being DX9.
Actually it makes perfect sense.

Wait for all the comparisons, so the PC version seems in terms of content comparable, if you announced DX11 was coming people would have waited.

scoobs

Fuck yes dx11 support coming, can NOT wait. Hoping they get the SLI shit fixed, bothers me to no end that I can't use both my cards :(

StuBurns said:
Actually it makes perfect sense.

Wait for all the comparisons, so the PC version seems in terms of content comparable, if you announced DX11 was coming people would have waited.
You're right, I didn't think of it like that. Another reason they might have done this was to show that the console versions weren't vastly inferior to the PC version to the naked eye, so maybe get more PS3 and 360 sales that way.

JoeBoy101

MrTroubleMaker said:
I hope the nano catalyst bug gets fixed soon. I stopped playing because of it, and it so hard to stop, I want to play some more.

I'm using the bug and threats of a patch soon to tweak my graphics to right where I am want them. Gives me a excuse to play already covered levels.

MaximumPC said:
Crysis 2 has been taking quite a bit of heat around the web for a perceived lack of PC polish, and while much of this criticism is unjustified, the release of a new patch tomorrow should help bridge the gap for offended enthusiasts. According to a German website (and now confirmed by Crytek), DirectX 11 support is being patched in as of tomorrow, along with a new “Advanced Graphics menu” for those who like to tweak the special effects for maximum performance.

Crysis 2 did a pretty amazing job of showing us what is still possible in DirectX9, but lets face it, if your GPU supports tessellation, you’re probably an enthusiast who isn’t known for being particularly reasonable about your demands, and that’s why we love you!

What the fuck is this trolling bullshit. Its unreasonable to expect a game to have a touted feature upon release of said game? Much of the criticism is unjustified? Some, sure, but have the balls to make a case and not take potshots from the cheapseats at your fucking demographic.

Xanathus

Hmmm, I just started a Post-Human Warrior difficulty run. Guess I'll wait till the DX11 patch comes before continuing. On a sidenote, even on the hardest difficulty the human enemies are just as useless against stealth mode.

scitek

It's confirmed? Fuck. Yes. I can't wait to put my 6950 to use.

So, this'll happen on Germany time, right? That's like, what, 6 hours ahead of EST?

pakkit

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
What the fuck is this trolling bullshit. Its unreasonable to expect a game to have a touted feature upon release of said game? Much of the criticism is unjustified? Some, sure, but have the balls to make a case and not take potshots from the cheapseats at your fucking demographic.
Games journalism...keeping the video game publishers happy matter more than the consumers.

zlatko

Banned
Xanathus said:
Hmmm, I just started a Post-Human Warrior difficulty run. Guess I'll wait till the DX11 patch comes before continuing. On a sidenote, even on the hardest difficulty the human enemies are just as useless against stealth mode.

I completed the game on the hardest difficulty and died only a handful of times throughout the entire game. It's piss easy. I'd say it's less challenging than a Call of Duty on normal. The only semi hard part was taking out the big MGS4 Gecko rip off aliens in the subway terminal.

So I asked earlier today but got no replies:

Can anyone give me a quick summary of WTF the story was about in this game? I completed it and it went entirely over my head.
Wtf happened with Prophet? Is he dead? Did he become the suit? What was Gould even in the game for? Did Alacatraz actually die at the start and the suit kept him alive to do Prophet's task?
A ton more confuses me, but let's just start with that I guess.

Kevin

All of these DX11 patch tomorrow stories all spawned from a translation from a questionable source while Crytek's own tweets suggest the patch maybe a long ways off yet. I am nearly certain there won't be a DX11 patch released later today.

maomaoIYP

Beat it yesterday on the 360. While the visuals are pretty, the FPS isn't anywhere optimal. Not to mention I couldn't understand the story one single bit. I guess it only makes sense if you've played the first game?

Tried the MP a little. Man, what a laggy mess.

JoeBoy101

pakkit said:
Games journalism...keeping the video game publishers happy matter more than the consumers.

1qq3cn.gif

saunderez

maomaoIYP said:
Not to mention I couldn't understand the story one single bit. I guess it only makes sense if you've played the first game?
There wasn't that much to understand and I haven't played the first game.

Prophet is infected by the alien plague so when he finds Alcatraz he puts him into the suit and kills himself to stop the Ceph from getting control of it. Eventually its found out that this particular suit can interface with the alien DNA and through the help of various people (Gould, Hargraeves) this ability is used to wipe out the aliens by contaminating the Spear.

The only weird bit is it seems Prophet (or at least his conciousness) was alive in the suit all along.

FStop7 said:
So what will DX11 add to the table?

Tessellation
Real Multi core support Quad core to 8 core ( Performance benefits, rendering on CPU side, Physics, also audio.
Compute shading

The multi core support should make it possible to run this game at a consistent high frame-rate. What are the chances this patch will be released at midnight?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You guys need to dig through those articles to find the original sources.

The "DX11 patch tomorrow" news came from an obscure German website that did not have an official word from Crytek. They were speculating/rumour mongering.

The only word Crytek has given is from that Twitter post where they confirmed that a DX11 patch was in the works and told PC gamers to be patient.

I'm 99% sure Crytek has not confirmed a DX11 patch for tomorrow.

lantus

I am really starting to dislike the multiplayer now, it was fun at first, but now with all the bugs and really unbalanced mechanics, it's just starting to turn me off completely. Maybe if they fixed the bajillion bugs, and by some miracle locked down a smoother fps, I might get back into. PS3 version BTW.

kamspy

I just want the damn Nano Catalyst fixed. It hardly ever works for me. Always stuck at zero and reseting the collected points.

lantus said:
I am really starting to dislike the multiplayer now, it was fun at first, but now with all the bugs and really unbalanced mechanics, it's just starting to turn me off completely. Maybe if they fixed the bajillion bugs, and by some miracle locked down a smoother fps, I might get back into. PS3 version BTW.
When you say unbalanced mechanics what do you mean? I find the game is pretty much spot on balance wise. It helps that there is a relatively limited selection of weapons and that most deaths/kills are a result of suit powers that everyone can use equally.

zlatko

Banned
lantus said:

I'm on 360. What issues are you exactly having?

My problems are the fairly obvious ones:

1) Some of the shittiest hosting ever on a console game. Constantly in games where only host has 4 bars and everyone is on 1 or 2 bars. Leads to seeing kill cams with Wanted curve bullets hitting you to get kills.

2) Spawning on a good chunk of the maps are dog shit. It's even more apparent on free for all, but even on team based play I've had numerous times where I spawn and move a few feet forward as it picks the same spawn point for an enemy right behind me. :/

3) Weapon balance doesn't seem to be quite there. Scar is just really good when compared to say a Grendel.

4) I hate that the best modules for the suit are on the third slot. Like 4-5 great options are all on that, while the other two slots only have 1-2 worthwhile options. When will developers stop including dog shit choices if they go with a perk system? I'd rather have a smaller amount of all useful choices then a big amount with only a few good ones to pick from.

5) I hate that your suit naturally loses 50% energy if you decide to climb up anything. It should be set at 25%.

6) On the crash site game type it always spawns you on the opposite side of where the crash site is. This would be fine if the maps weren't huge and people couldn't just camp anywhere. My journey to get back to the site to claim it/help my team is damn near impossible most of the time even when I try to cloak my way there.

7) The autoaim is through the roof. I honestly wish it was off for everyone in multiplayer.

8) I keep feeling like I'm trying to play catch up to the people who are higher level. They have better tools at their disposal against me from what their suits can do to the weapons they can use against me. A level 1 player just isn't on even ground against level 30+ people.

9) A lot of the maps seem just too big for 6v6 on consoles. Sanctuary being a good example.

I think that covers my complaints.

Lingitiz

Stripper13 said:
When you say unbalanced mechanics what do you mean? I find the game is pretty much spot on balance wise. It helps that there is a relatively limited selection of weapons and that most deaths/kills are a result of suit powers that everyone can use equally.
The weapons and powers are fine so far, although the secondary guns seem way too underpowered. I think the main things that need to be fixed are the headshot/hit detection and matchmaking issues which are probably the main source of lag. It wouldn't hurt if they would take out or fix the extremely buggy killcam as well.

Hit detection is bit ridiculous though. Just got headshotted through a brick wall.

zlatko said:
8) I keep feeling like I'm trying to play catch up to the people who are higher level. They have better tools at their disposal against me from what their suits can do to the weapons they can use against me. A level 1 player just isn't on even ground against level 30+ people.
I'm at level 25 and so far the only higher level perk i use is energy transfer. While it helps a bit its not really overpowering to lower levels. Many of the default perks are still the best.

j-wood

I haven't experienced any connection issues on the 360 version. The only thing I've hit is once or twice it taking a little bit to find people to get into a match but after that it's been smooth.

zlatko

Banned
Lingitiz said:
The weapons and powers are fine so far, although the secondary guns seem way too underpowered. I think the main things that need to be fixed are the headshot/hit detection and matchmaking issues which are probably the main source of lag. It wouldn't hurt if they would take out or fix the extremely buggy killcam as well.

Hit detection is bit ridiculous though. Just got headshotted through a brick wall.

I'm at level 25 and so far the only higher level perk i use is energy transfer. While it helps a bit its not really overpowering to lower levels. Many of the default perks are still the best.

Really? You think having the ability to see people glow red through your scope isn't a distinct advantage? Energy transfer like you said is also a big helper. I think the ability to carry two primary weapons is also a big help or being able to fire your gun faster.

The higher on perks definitely will swing fights in your favor when compared to a level 1 players loadout options.

Lingitiz

zlatko said:
Really? You think having the ability to see people glow red through your scope isn't a distinct advantage? Energy transfer like you said is also a big helper. I think the ability to carry two primary weapons is also a big help or being able to fire your gun faster.

The higher on perks definitely will swing fights in your favor when compared to a level 1 players loadout options.
The scope highlight isn't a huge deal because it doesn't work on cloaked players but i understand where you are coming from. I can imagine a new player being destroyed because they don't understand how to combine the powers together, combined with higher level players having better perks. I just think that the higher level powers aren't impossible to overcome as the default perks are still very strong and the Scar is probably the best weapon in the game.

Anyone elses' gun and suit module unlocks NEVER save? Also does anyone else notice that the mouse sensitivity when using an assault scope is extremely high when compared to just aiming through a red DOT sight? It's almost unusable to me unless I switch my DPI on the fly with one of my DPI buttons on my mouse, which is annoying.

G_Berry

Banned
OG_Original Gamer said:
Tessellation
Real Multi core support Quad core to 8 core ( Performance benefits, rendering on CPU side, Physics, also audio.
Compute shading

The multi core support should make it possible to run this game at a consistent high frame-rate. What are the chances this patch will be released at midnight?

You think there will be benefits for DX10 users with mutli GPU / CPU setups?

I have a 295 DX10 card however I'm rolling with a Phenom Hex core.....

pakkit

Banned
Finished Single Player on 360, it was awesome. Probably jumping back in tomorrow with a Super Soldier run.

AI is the biggest weakness in the singleplayer. Definitely disappointing, especially since they promised the best AI in videogaming.

Even still, this is my favorite playing FPS in recent memory. Crytek nailed a lot of elements of the gameplay, now if they could open up the environments more and make their AI systems actually work, Crysis 3 could be something absolutely incredible.

It sucks that, at least for now, the PC version is the weakest (unless you're console tweaking). The game definitely seems to have been a bit rushed, and PC gamers ended up with a buggier product, likely since PC patching is still easier than console patching.

It does make this post-leak quote seem a little sillier though, "People are like 'It's 40/45 days before launch, Crysis is leaked' but that build was already from the middle of January. With 250 people working on a project, thousands of bugs get fixed in a heartbeat. So that version is like a really ugly version that we don't want anyone to see... All this stuff starts going up in pieces and even if someone downloads it and plays it themselves they might make a bad decision based on the fact that there are so many bugs in it. 'Oh, there are so many bugs in the game I wanted to play. It's so buggy, I'm not gonna buy it now"

G_Berry said:
You think there will be benefits for DX10 users with mutli GPU / CPU setups?

I have a 295 DX10 card however I'm rolling with a Phenom Hex core.....

Not sure, considering DX11 multi-core support may be 11 exclusive. It all depends on what Crytek does, I think C2 has both DX9 and DX10 features.

Finished it on Supersoldier this weekend. Great game, although it became Cloak: the Game for me. That shit is too powerful and breaks the game later on.

I'm going to go back to the SP later on and try some of those NanosuitNinja shenanigans.

adelante

bill.cosby said:
And it managed to be lengthy without feeling very padded.
THIS! The whole game is essentially broken up into chunks of areas that varies a lot in scale and complexity that's actually conducive to both stealth and full-on assault (man i love being able jump high and traverse over obstacles easily like some super parkour maniac), with very VERY few narrow corridors thrown in between. Oh and those epic set pieces! Cant wait to for my second playthrough on SuperSoldier =D

adelante

StevePharma said:
Finished it on Supersoldier this weekend. Great game, although it became Cloak: the Game for me. That shit is too powerful and breaks the game later on.
Yeah you could easily make your way from one objective point to another using stealth but I dont feel they need to make it less powerful (your suit is supposed to be a very advanced piece of equipment afterall) I just wished they'd introduce some incentives for going guns ablazing. I realized from the first couple levels that going undetected was gonna be an easy option so I made it a point to always alert the enemies of my presence and quickly clear an area from different vantage points, forcing them to rush from cover to cover. Gives me an awesome adrenaline rush playing like this =D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I only used cloak sparingly, much like the first game, and any game where I'm given an option. I much prefer to Rambo/Vanquish my way through levels like a crazy cunt. It's so satisfying to peg soldiers across the map, fire while high jumping and sliding, and ripping those mounted guns off and using them to become UNSTOPPABLE.

EatChildren said:
I only used cloak sparingly, much like the first game, and any game where I'm given an option. I much prefer to Rambo/Vanquish my way through levels like a crazy cunt. It's so satisfying to peg soldiers across the map, fire while high jumping and sliding, and ripping those mounted guns off and using them to become UNSTOPPABLE.
This is exactly how I played the game too, I hate stealth elements outside of games like MGS or Splinter Cell.

CozMick

Banned
Just finished beating the shit out of the
Pinger(?)
in
Times Square

Wow! the visuals are breathtaking, some the best I've ever seen,

The difference between multi and single player is actually quite jarring now.

Also apart from the added bonuses of PC configs and resolutions I see virtually no difference between those gifs and the PS3/360 version in motion, textures, effects, lighting are all spot on, shame about the framerate though, but not as bad as gaffers are making it out to be.

scently

CozMick said:
Pinger(?)
in
Times Square

Also apart from the added bonuses of PC configs and resolutions I see virtually no difference between those gifs and the PS3/360 version in motion, textures, effects, lighting are all spot on, shame about the framerate though, but not as bad as gaffers are making it out to be.

But you were among those gaffers.

strata8

CozMick said:
Pinger(?)
in
Times Square

I could've sworn you posted negative impressions a few pages back :p

CozMick

Banned
NotTarts said:
I could've sworn you posted negative impressions a few pages back :p

The first couple of missions and the AI are still dog shit but everything else single player related is surprisingly really good. It's one of those games that gets better the more you play.

The multi player however is kind of a mixed bag, I've played it for hours and hours but can't understand why.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
the polarity of opinions in this thread is absolutely bizarre.... just all kinds of complaints that others haven't had at all.

gears 2 online is flat out broken, gears 1 was one of my fave shoooters ever so thats a huge deal for me. but crysis 2 is the best online experience I've had this gen (from the hour I've played across multiple sessions)

strata8

kaizoku said:
the polarity of opinions in this thread is absolutely bizarre.... just all kinds of complaints that others haven't had at all.

gears 2 online is flat out broken, gears 1 was one of my fave shoooters ever so thats a huge deal for me. but crysis 2 is the best online experience I've had this gen (from the hour I've played across multiple sessions)
Depends on what region you're in, I'm guessing.

Top Bottom