• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

The story is all kinds of retarded. Oh well. I'll bet whatever expansion this game receives will be based on
Chino, since he disappears at the beginning and reappears at the midpoint

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
God reading this story discussion is just cementing my opinion on how fucking stupid they made it. Game would have gotten a boost from a solid 8.5 to a 9.0 in my grade book if they had just dropped Nomad + Psycho (optional co-op) into NYC and been like OH SHIT them aliens are spreading! Also N Korea combined with S Korea LOLOLOL to attack us while we are weak from the alien attack.

And then Nomad and Psycho would lay down the fucking law.

Stallion Free said:
God reading this story discussion is just cementing my opinion on how fucking stupid they made it.
Yup its absolutely retarded. Worst part though is how much of it is simply not mentioned or ignored in the game.

Stallion Free said:
God reading this story discussion is just cementing my opinion on how fucking stupid they made it. Game would have gotten a boost from a solid 8.5 to a 9.0 in my grade book if they had just dropped Nomad + Psycho (optional co-op) into NYC and been like OH SHIT them aliens are spreading! Also N Korea combined with S Korea LOLOLOL to attack us while we are weak from the alien attack.

Yeah some of it is really stupid. I do like the Hargrave character and voice though. Not finished with the game yet, so he might get ruined by the end I guess.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Yeah some of it is really stupid. I do like the Hargrave character and voice though. Not finished with the game yet, so he might get ruined by the end I guess.
Yeah, I did enjoy this voice actor a lot. But I mean they could have switched his role to Nomad's long lost father or something.

...yeah I could definitely imagine him using the word "son" a lot and it would just sound right.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I liked the plot twists
(I mean the who's good who's bad who's actually good but is being bad stuff, not the lol he's not even a real person bit)
. The rest wasn't good.

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, I did enjoy this voice actor a lot. But I mean they could have switched his role to Nomad's long lost father or something.

The VA and his dialogue mesh really well I find.
There's one point where you get a flashback to Lingshan or whatever and he's talking to Prophet, giving him instructions or whatever. I thought those lines were really well written and acted. Like hargrave is out of touch with the human condition, but understands it on an intillectual level - "do what you can to help your squad survive, that's a desire I can understand. I commend it even". Or whatever he says. His character gives of a sort oF Ozymandias vibe of trying to save the world, even if he has to drag it kicking and screaming and get his hands dirty along the way.

Mysterious nanosuit stuff is kind of weird though. I definitely don't like the direction they went with making it go from "cool exoskeleton" to almost venom-like symbiosis stuff.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I missed the flashlights. Weird they didn't have any dark sections that required them. The shadowing tech is still in there and you can see it if you pick up lamps that are dropped here and there including the very first indoor area.

pakkit

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Mysterious nanosuit stuff is kind of weird though. I definitely don't like the direction they went with making it go from "cool exoskeleton" to almost venom-like symbiosis stuff.[/spoiler]
Wasn't that kind of written into the first Crysis though? Prophet's character is the one that learns alien technology and seems to have a vast understanding of their functions, so it makes sense that his suit would bind to alien material.

But who cares? I, for one, am thrilled that they pushed the story back. Outside of Hargreaves and Prophet, none of the characters seemed even remotely interesting.

Alextended said:
I missed the flashlights. Weird they didn't have any dark sections that required them. The shadowing tech is still in there and you can see it if you pick up lamps that are dropped here and there including the very first indoor area.
Your visor negates the use of flashlights.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Mysterious nanosuit stuff is kind of weird though. I definitely don't like the direction they went with making it go from "cool exoskeleton" to almost venom-like symbiosis stuff.[/spoiler]
Its probably even more extreme than that. The suit is supposedly replaces his brain and body. His body parts have been reprocess into other things and his brain is now a part of the computer or AI of the suit. Presumably there isn't a real human body inside the suit anymore. Just nerve endings and goo.
pakkit said:
Wasn't that kind of written into the first Crysis though? Prophet's character is the one that learns alien technology and seems to have a vast understanding of their functions, so it makes sense that his suit would bind to alien material.
Depends on how you look at it. He manages to somehow reverse engineer the crazy alien gun and for some reason he has to go back to the island. But its never really explained how or why.

I liked how it became
a venom like symbiosis now, it's all good in my books... though the suit powers probably could have used a bit more integration / fancy powers that you gain from alien technology IMO. But, I'm not a Crysis die hard (I played through C1 and CW) and I don't believe it was the perfect formula I got bored in some bits. I like this formula MUCH MUCH more, its all around better, more action packed, and I just loved the whole area set up and each time I would die I would try a different tactic and take things from a different direction.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ogs said:
Anyone miss dual-wield ?

You and Nomad an item now ?
Nah I didn't miss dual wield that much because I hardly used it in Crysis 1. I will say dual silenced/laser-sighted pistols was badass back in the day though.

And yes, I am upset that the main character from C1 isn't even so much as name dropped. It makes all my fan fics feel meaningless.

I did miss flashlights because I felt like that whole subway ruins level would have had sexual atmosphere with a proper flashlight. I think if I had the option I would have used a flashlight in C2 more than I did in C1 (though the caves in Warhead... *fap fap fap*).

pakkit said:

Err, Prophet encountering the aliens has nothing to do with the fact that they consciously decided to make the nanosuit some wierd evolving lifeform that incorporates alien DNA, fuzes with dead bodies and all sorts of other wierd shit in number 2. In Crysis, the nanosuit was just a fancy exoskeleton that you wore and it gave you superpowers.

Nah I didn't miss dual wield that much because I hardly used it in Crysis 1. I will say dual silenced/laser-sighted pistols was badass back in the day though.

Dual Wield in Crysis pissed me off because if you picked up a second pistol / smg you COULD NOT drop it again. It meant you couldn't pick up enemy pistols for ammo, otherwise you would be forced to dual wield.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Stallion Free said:

And yes, I am upset that the main character from C1 isn't even so much as name dropped. It makes all my fan fics feel meaningless.
He's name dropped in a multiplayer trophy :trollface

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Eugh. Multiplayer is doing everything possible to prevent me from playing. Nearly every single person in most of the games I've played has been pinging at 300+. On top of that, just like CoD4 any objective focused match is full of dickheads pissing around trying to maximise their KD ratio, and I feel like I'm the only goddamn person trying to play.

I really love all the suit powers and the 'feel', but I'm having heavy CoD4 flashbacks. As I said earlier, I burnt that and the entire stop-and-pop genre out. I dont really have any interest going back.

I cant see this lasting long.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Err, Prophet encountering the aliens has nothing to do with the fact that they consciously decided to make the nanosuit some wierd evolving lifeform that incorporates alien DNA, fuzes with dead bodies and all sorts of other wierd shit in number 2. In Crysis, the nanosuit was just a fancy exoskeleton that you wore and it gave you superpowers.
According to what I read in the book the suit IS alien. Hargreave just reverse engineered the whole thing. I really should finish the book.

Dennis

Banned
I honestly don't understand the story bitching.

The first Crysis had a pretty straightforward cliché alien invasion story that was just an excuse for some sci fi shooting.

I didn't much care about story then and I still don't. Its serviceable and thats fine.

Though I do agree that they should have continued with the old cast (Psycho!) rather then new boring dude Alcatraz.

Stallion Free said:

Yes, definitely. If they'd left the suit as something kick ass soldiers use to become super-soldiers and then let Nomad and Psycho go Tango and Cash on NYC I would probably have loved it.

I'm not saying games shouldn't attempt to do deeper things with story, but I think in this case going ridiculous awesome instead of just ridiculous would have been better.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Dual Wield in Crysis pissed me off because if you picked up a second pistol / smg you COULD NOT drop it again. It meant you couldn't pick up enemy pistols for ammo, otherwise you would be forced to dual wield.
Or you know, you could just hit J to drop the 2nd pistol/smg

JB1981

DennisK4 said:

The first Crysis had a pretty straightforward cliché alien invasion story that was just an excuse for some sci fi shooting.

I didn't much care about story then and I still don't. Its serviceable and thats fine.

Though I do agree that they should have continued with the old cast (Psycho!) rather then new boring dude Alcatraz.

The story seems pretty incomprehensible to me but the gameplay keeps me coming back. I honestly couldn't really tell you what is going on. I feel like I'm playing a first person MGS at times. There is a major disconnectedness in transitions between new areas of the game too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DennisK4 said:

Pretty much how I feel. I dont see the point in completely ditching Nomad and Psycho, but Crysis' story was full of cliché characters and themes to begin with, and ended on an even worse cliff hanger.

I dont play Crysis for some character odyssey. I play Crysis so I can kick cars at people.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DennisK4 said:
I don't think I have every enjoyed dual-wielding guns in any game ever.
Same here. It looks cool but it pretty much sucks in execution and always feels awkward and makes me more vulnerable.

EatChildren said:
Eugh. Multiplayer is doing everything possible to prevent me from playing. Nearly every single person in most of the games I've played has been pinging at 300+. On top of that, just like CoD4 any objective focused match is full of dickheads pissing around trying to maximise their KD ratio, and I feel like I'm the only goddamn person trying to play.

I really love all the suit powers and the 'feel', but I'm having heavy CoD4 flashbacks. As I said earlier, I burnt that and the entire stop-and-pop genre out. I dont really have any interest going back.

I cant see this lasting long.

This is kinda disappointing to hear; I'm loving the multiplayer but could see how this could break it for some with the consistent lag issues.

Personally, I'd go as far as to say that this is my favorite online multiplayer experience as far as actual gameplay. The combat feels fluid, the weapons feel great, the progression is good, the maps are awesome. However, even though my connection works, it is by no means perfect and can be grating to the experience as a whole.

All I can say is keep an eye on it. Hopefully they'll fix these shilly problems.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
IIRC you can drop weapons by hitting J and it would let you drop just one of the pistols/SMGs.

edit: whoops, didn't see above reply

Broman1978 said:
Anyone else experience a frustating Hit-box /lag in Multiplayer? (Xbox 360)
To many times now it seems that I die from 1-2 shots but it takes 1-2 seconds of shooting from my guns to take somebody out! Also in Kill-cam it seems I miss alot bullets from my weapons but when I shoot them it looks to me my bullets hit them!

Most frustating moments was when I came up close behind a dude and I blasted him with my shotgun in his back, He just turned around and killed me with, 1-2 shoots! In kill-cam my shots was fired beside him, just barley "hurted" him!

But still I think Multiplayer is good fun and with some fixes I think it will be great! :)

yup. netcode is trash and will eventually kill C2 dead unless there are improvements. i can't tell you how many times i'll be shooting directly at an enemy only to have them turn and kill me. after which i'll watch the killcam and see that i was shooting far to the left or right of them.

shit is so bad it makes such similar issues with black ops look like nothing in comparison.

Miggytronz

WickedLaharl said:
yup. netcode is trash and will eventually kill C2 dead unless there are improvements. i can't tell you how many times i'll be shooting directly at an enemy only to have them turn and kill me. after which i'll watch the killcam and see that i was shooting far to the left or right of them.

shit is so bad it makes such similar issues with black ops look like nothing in comparison.

BOLDED - I can stand that shit.

Grisby

Well, I can't fire my rockets anymore. I beat the level black out or whatever it was called and couldn't use my rockets during one encounter. Now, I can't use them, :(

Like, it says I have a full cache but it won't reload a new rocket or anything. I even tried to pick up more but alas it says I am full.

I can't wait to get to the ending and see what all this blacked out text is about :D With the twist(s) and stuff. I lovvvvve twists in games and especially movies. Not enough twists in games, tbh. *cue m night shayamalan pic* lol

lowrider007 said:
I tweeted Nathan Camarillo yesterday about the nanocatalyst glitches, he said that he wasn't aware that there was a problem, he asked what platform the issue was on, is problem happening on all versions?, anyway I told him just to google 'crysis 2 nanocatalyst', hopefully he will look into it.
That's unbelievable. They are SO out of touch with the community. How can a bug like this, which was present in the leaked beta 2 months ago, go completely unnoticed by Crytek and their Q&A team?

Anyway! I have some gameplay questions if anyone wants to answer:

1. Is it me or does Air Stomp fkng suck in SP? The hit range seems small and you lose all your energy, full to zero. Waste of 4k.

2. What exactly is Air Friction? Haven't bought that one yet. From the preview vid it looks like a gliding mechanic when you jump?

3. Is hit Armor Deflection any good, better than Nano Recharge? I bought NR. Deflection is like 12k. How impervious to bullet fire are you?

4. Does the cloak tracker do anything else besides detect cloaked enemies? 16k just for that seems like a lot.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
EatChildren said:
I dont play Crysis for some character odyssey. I play Crysis so I can kick cars at people.
For the characters in C1, developing the ability to kick a car would have been enough material to construct a character odyssey.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
WickedLaharl said:

Happened to me many times, but I usually have 200ms of delay so no complaints here. I'm kinda used to by now.

Miggytronz

Grisby said:
Well, I can't fire my rockets anymore. I beat the level black out or whatever it was called and couldn't use my rockets during one encounter. Now, I can't use them, :(

Like, it says I have a full cache but it won't reload a new rocket or anything. I even tried to pick up more but alas it says I am full.

Happened to me when i had to fight one of those large Mech things.

Grisby

Mikasangelos said:
Happened to me when i had to fight one of those large Mech things.

Yeah, but now I haven't been able to fire them at all. Maybe when I get back to playing today it will right itself. Really, thats the only glitch I've run into and I think I'm near the end.

EatChildren

AllIsOneIsNone said:
This is kinda disappointing to hear; I'm loving the multiplayer but could see how this could break it for some with the consistent lag issues.

Personally, I'd go as far as to say that this is my favorite online multiplayer experience as far as actual gameplay. The combat feels fluid, the weapons feel great, the progression is good, the maps are awesome. However, even though my connection works, it is by no means perfect and can be grating to the experience as a whole.

All I can say is keep an eye on it. Hopefully they'll fix these shilly problems.

I dont know if it's something they can fix, other than servers being populated by people across the globe or people with horrendous net speeds. It's abysmal, and I haven't played a game like this in a long time. I literally cannot join any server that isn't composed almost entirely of 300+ pinging shit stains. Nearly ever killcam I get makes no sense.

I also, as stated earlier in the thread, really fucking hate the slow movements when reloading. I understand its a balance thing, but it slows the gameplay down tremendously in my opinion. As said, I burnt out slow, shitty gameplay with CoD4 and I dont really have any interest in doing it again, at least not until BF3 comes out at the end of the year.

Back to TF2 for me. As it is the high pingers have ruined any fun I would be having.

Iztli

AD1512DCA0D94A0E87CA84D47D823ECEAEA16CD3

Gvaz said:
Any kind of NPD information is flawed because they don't count DD. I bought crysis 1&2 on EA Store. Steam has had tons of sales, and they don't release sales figures. There are other stores that sell it via DD too.

Crysis has sold more than 3 million retail copies, and if I had to guess, I'd say about 2 million bought it via DD. That's just the first game. So no, it was hugely successful on the PC.

Cmon guys, crysis is a console priority game now.

EatChildren said:
I dont know if it's something they can fix, other than servers being populated by people across the globe or people with horrendous net speeds. It's abysmal, and I haven't played a game like this in a long time. I literally cannot join any server that isn't composed almost entirely of 300+ pinging shit stains. Nearly ever killcam I get makes no sense.

I also, as stated earlier in the thread, really fucking hate the slow movements when reloading. I understand its a balance thing, but it slows the gameplay down tremendously in my opinion. As said, I burnt out slow, shitty gameplay with CoD4 and I dont really have any interest in doing it again, at least not until BF3 comes out at the end of the year.

Back to TF2 for me. As it is the high pingers have ruined any fun I would be having.
Don't leave, dude! So the PC dedicated servers are this bad or are you playing on console?

NIN90

24 hours later and I'm still failing to apply this fucking patch to this fucking goddamn game. Seriously, why didn't they just add the option to manually select the path?
How can they develop such technically advanced games and yet fail so hard at such a simple thing?

EatChildren

Heavy said:
Don't leave, dude! So the PC dedicated servers are this bad or are you playing on console?

PC. The stability on my end is rock solid. I get really great net performance. The problem is everyone else. One of the server I joined someone joked that everyone other than him and I must be from China, because everyone else was pinging at over 300. There's a whole bunch of Australian dedicated servers which are running a wide variety of gameplay modes and modifiers, which is really fantastic, but I cant go a single match without having to deal with an insane amount of laggers. Only a couple of matches of TDM ago the entire red team was pinging well over 300, some into 400.

This was the last match I played.

crysis22011-03-2901-31ujlc.jpg

It's so bad.

So I finished the game and I'm not sure if I got to the plot twist or not, none of the game was coherent other than the part where I aim at dudes faces and click the left mouse button.
What was that whole "they call me prophet" thing at the end all about? Prophet is still alive? He lives within the suit? He's taking control of Alcatrez? Whaaaaat...

Stallion Free said:
For the characters in C1, developing the ability to kick a car would have been enough material to construct a character odyssey.
Psh in Cryis you punched cars. Like a man. Kicking is for sissies.

Enosh

EatChildren said:
PC. The stability on my end is rock solid. I get really great net performance. The problem is everyone else. One of the server I joined someone joked that everyone other than him and I must be from China, because everyone else was pinging at over 300. There's a whole bunch of Australian dedicated servers which are running a wide variety of gameplay modes and modifiers, which is really fantastic, but I cant go a single match without having to deal with an insane amount of laggers. Only a couple of matches of TDM ago the entire red team was pinging well over 300, some into 400.

This was the last match I played.

http://www.abload.de/img/crysis22011-03-2901-31ujlc.jpg[img]

It's so bad.[/QUOTE]
well can't blame the game for people being stupid and going to 300 ping servers ^^

Stallion Free said:

I don't know why they didn't do this. It would have kept the story simple and to the point. It would have been cool to see Helena Rosenthal, too. Meh.

WickedLaharl said:
yup. netcode is trash and will eventually kill C2 dead unless there are improvements.
There are some great things about this game, but at the same time, there are so many things that require fixing which leads me to believe that Crytek will just blow the whole thing off. I mean, they don't even have their shit together on MyCrysis.

Top Bottom