• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Dennis

Banned
Omiee said:
hey i took your advice and downloaded that program ( no time yesterday ) what did you tell me to do with edge aa again so its clear?
and should FSAA be enabled?
Edge-AA should be disabled.

You can try enabling 4xMSAA and see if you like it. Otherwise disable that too.

FSAA? I am using version 1.5 of that program so there is no FSAA option.

Lets ask GAF. What does FSAA offer? Is it that or MSAA? Does it add vaseline?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh lordy at the HL2 comparisons.

As for the sense of progression, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. As Stallion said, there are some weird jumps between locations. One level ends with you going underneath a church, and the next level begins with you near the top of a skyscraper.

The sense of progressions works better within the levels themselves, in my opinion. You feel like you're covering a good deal of distance across a variety of locations. From stage to stage, not so much.

DennisK4 said:
Crysis 2 is an early contender for GOTY for me personally, and quite frankly it should be on any credible games publication/sites list as well.

I think it will be. For me personally Bulletstorm will edge it out, if just for scratching an inch that has long been neglected.

DennisK4 said:

1.6 has FSAA. You can have it with MSAA. I didn't notice any vaseline added, but I'll have to give it a better look.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i didn't mean to open up the HALF-LIFE can of worms. i just like very few fpses generally speaking, and i love the aesthetic of CRYSIS 2. i guess i'm just looking for opinions of people who don't normally play a lot of these sort of games who are enjoying it before taking the plunge.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
beelzebozo said:
i didn't mean to open up the HALF-LIFE can of worms. i just like very few fpses generally speaking, and i love the aesthetic of CRYSIS 2. i guess i'm just looking for opinions of people who don't normally play a lot of these sort of games who are enjoying it before taking the plunge.
It's actually been a ridiculously civil discussion so I don't think you need to apologize. I think it is a very interesting comparison.

StuBurns

Banned
HL2 is a very natural comparison, few shooters make an effort to provide distinct partitions in play like those two games do. Even something like BioShock which appears to put the focus the environment and exploration really doesn't host any real periods of pure travel.

The MP has taken MW and cloned it wholeheartedly, but in terms of the campaign, I'd say they've taken more cues from HL2 than anything.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
beelzebozo said:

Crysis 2 succeeds in crafting it's own identity and style, while encompassing the sense that the developers actually gave a shit about what they were doing. The campaign is long, the level design is good, it's different to the original Crysis but there are also some improvements in some areas, the combat is satisfying, and the pacing is quite impressive. It doesn't feel like 'another FPS', even if a couple of levels dip in quality.

It's the kind of game you cant go "Oh it's like XXX". Crysis 2 is Crysis 2, unlike most other games on the market, and for that reason is worth looking into in my opinion.

I dont think it holds a candle to Half-Life 2, and it's not without flaws. The tutorial drags for far too long. There's a few dud levels that reel the game back into generic territory, though they dont last long. The story is shit. The AI can be hillariously stupid, and there are a few bugs.

But the art and graphics are gorgeous, the city is a joy to behold and traverse, and the combat rarely, if ever, becomes tedious or boring. It's just fun.

EDIT: What do you use to capture your shots Dennis, and what format do they save in? I'm using the free version of FRAPS, and the bmp format it saves in makes it look so ugly.

Omiee

DennisK4 said:
Edge-AA should be disabled.

You can try enabling 4xMSAA and see if you like it. Otherwise disable that too.

so i disabled edge aa and it looks pretty sharp to me now thanks. What settings are you using with field of view etc
should i leave it at 50 or crank it up.

EatChildren

BattleMonkey said:
I'm definitely one of the only ones who didn't think HL2 was that special.

There's quite a few people who dont think Half-Life 2 is all that special, and there is a special level of headcrab infested hell reserved for the lot of ya.

derFeef

So far the only time it felt like Half-Life (2) was the first chopper encounter.

EatChildren said:
There's quite a few people who dont think Half-Life 2 is all that special, and there is a special level of headcrab infested hell reserved for the lot of ya.
Well said, sir.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
BattleMonkey said:
I'm definitely one of the only ones who didn't think HL2 was that special.

Same here. Tried it numerous times and just couldn't get into it. It didn't grab me the same way as HL1 did.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
EatChildren said:
It's all poison headcrabs too. They never kill you, just constantly infuriate you.

Kevin said:
I agree, after all the negativity surrounding this title, I "Almost" skipped it. However I ended up making the purchase and Crysis 2 resides as one of the best first person shooters I have played and I've played pretty much them all. Still excited for the DX11 tech though and I hope it adds some big graphics improvements but as the game stands now, it's still pretty epic.
Yeah, I'd say it's a good game with great moments. Stupid story, shoddy AI, and glitches hold it back from true greatness.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
EatChildren said:
It's the kind of game you cant go "Oh it's like XXX". Crysis 2 is Crysis 2, unlike most other games on the market, and for that reason is worth looking into in my opinion.

i totally understand and value this! but i also think there are games that rely more on moment-to-moment mechanics and less on the situations and world events that are trademarks of HL, for example. in other words, much as i value a shooter in which it feels good to shoot things and there are lots of ways to tackle a situation, ultimately i want to feel like a game takes me interesting places and shows me interesting things. i prefer the KING KONG game to any COD or HALO game, for example. i relent that this is probably NOT a better game, but it gives me more of what i want. you know what i mean?

i guess i'm trying to discern if it's more HALO or HALF-LIFE, to be completely reductive.

StuBurns

Banned
I think HL2 excelled as an adventure game more than a shooter, what makes it so special was anything but the combat for me, it's hard to compare that to anything other than maybe BioShock in that regard.

Randy

Some Dutch language to be found too in Crysis 2. Pretty rare!

1zocgw0.jpg

Dennis

Banned
Omiee said:
so i disabled edge aa and it looks pretty sharp to me now thanks. What settings are you using with field of view etc
should i leave it at 50 or crank it up.
The field of view values should be 70.

EatChildren said:
EDIT: What do you use to capture your shots Dennis, and what format do they save in? I'm using the free version of FRAPS, and the bmp format it saves in makes it look so ugly.
Capture as BMP with FRAPS then convert to maxmum quality JPG in Photoshop.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
StuBurns said:
I think HL2 excelled as an adventure game more than a shooter, what makes it so special was anything but the combat for me, it's hard to compare that to anything other than maybe BioShock in that regard.

this is exactly what i'm angling toward.

EatChildren

beelzebozo said:
i totally understand and value this! but i also think there are games that rely more on moment-to-moment mechanics and less on the situations and world events that are trademarks of HL, for example. in other words, much as i value a shooter in which it feels good to shoot things and there are lots of ways to tackle a situation, ultimately i want to feel like a game takes me interesting places and shows me interesting things. i prefer the KING KONG game to any COD or HALO game, for example. i relent that this is probably NOT a better game, but it gives me more of what i want. you know what i mean?

i guess i'm trying to discern if it's more HALO or HALF-LIFE, to be completely reductive.

I think Stu's statement that Crysis 2 falls in the middle of Halo and Half-Life is pretty accurate then. Much of Crysis 2 does feel like 'moment-to-moment' battles and set pieces, travelling from one to the other to experience the next open area or next powerful enemy.

That being said, the actual progression through individual stages is more like Half-Life, as a single stage can see you travel through a pretty diverse series of locations and art. A level set on roof tops will, for example, not just take place on a roof top. you'll also travel through crumbling buildings, as well as a roof top greenhouse.

For what it's worth I dont really like Halo, so I think there's enough Half-Life in world identity and progression for me to like in Crysis 2. However, the gameplay and encounter design definitely has more in common with the former. At times it does feel very 'set piece' like and wee bit arteficial, unlike Half-Life 2, which seamlessly blends world design and encounters together in a way I'd describe as 'organic'.

Omiee

DennisK4 said:
The field of view values should be 70.

thanks, woow the game realy looks good now, im amazed my 6950 can handle this so well. I guess there was no need to buy a second one.

Enosh

D4Danger said:
heh, I kinda laughed at the "join the corps" bilboard, god damned games acting like recruiting tools ^^

oh and to the debate, crysis 2>HL2, then again in my eyes every shooter is better than HL2, I love shooters, but i just couldn't finish HL2 it was that bad to me

might give it another try, but every time I think of the god damned sewer vehicle section or that dune buggy bullshit my head starts to hurt

EatChildren

DennisK4 said:

crysis22011-03-2902-275rqn.jpg

My pictures suck.

JoeBoy101

Kevin said:
Sadly it's not happening today. The developers tweeted something about 16 months to play around with DX11 development for Crysis 2 PC. :(

That's incorrect. Looks like they were referring to milliseconds (ms) per frame. Probably not today, but hardly 16 months off.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, now this thread is making me want a gaming PC. I was going to buy a plasma/surround sound system and wait until next year for a PC but between these screens and BF3 I'm seriously considering changing that order.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Kevin said:
^ In this case I hope I'm wrong because 16 months would be a hell of a wait. :p
I know they were referring to milliseconds but if they meant months then I guess we know when Crysis 3 is coming. :lol

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Enosh said:
heh, I kinda laughed at the "join the corps" bilboard, god damned games acting like recruiting tools ^^

oh and to the debate, crysis 2>HL2, then again in my eyes every shooter is better than HL2, I love shooters, but i just couldn't finish HL2 it was that bad to me

might give it another try, but every time I think of the god damned sewer vehicle section or that dune buggy bullshit my head starts to hurt

don't remind me

first time I played HL2 i didn't take the buggy and actually walked the sewer system until I got to the point where you have to make a big jump. I had to start the game again because you can't go back.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RoboPlato said:
Man, now this thread is making me want a gaming PC. I was going to buy a plasma/surround sound system and wait until next year for a PC but between these screens and BF3 I'm seriously considering changing that order.
Buy them all, it's worth it. I picked up as Panasonic G25 Plasma last year just to hook up to my PC in my room and sweet Jesus it is divine.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Stallion Free said:
Buy them all, it's worth it. I picked up as Panasonic G25 Plasma last year just to hook up to my PC in my room and sweet Jesus it is divine.
I'm probably going to get an ST30 and a surround sound system this year since I do a lot of console gaming and watch a lot of Blu-rays then get a gaming PC next year and hook it up to the TV.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RoboPlato said:
I'm probably going to get an ST30 and a surround sound system this year since I do a lot of console gaming and watch a lot of Blu-rays then get a gaming PC next year and hook it up to the TV.
Hopefully by then C2 will have a DX11 patch out lol.

eshwaaz

EatChildren said:
Crysis 2 succeeds in crafting it's own identity and style, while encompassing the sense that the developers actually gave a shit about what they were doing. The campaign is long, the level design is good, it's different to the original Crysis but there are also some improvements in some areas, the combat is satisfying, and the pacing is quite impressive. It doesn't feel like 'another FPS', even if a couple of levels dip in quality.

I dont think it holds a candle to Half-Life 2, and it's not without flaws. The tutorial drags for far too long. There's a few dud levels that reel the game back into generic territory, though they dont last long. The story is shit. The AI can be hillariously stupid, and there are a few bugs.

But the art and graphics are gorgeous, the city is a joy to behold and traverse, and the combat rarely, if ever, becomes tedious or boring. It's just fun.
Great post; totally agree. There are certainly flaws and some aspects that I find disappointing, but this is still the most fun I've had with a FPS in a long time.

Insertia

beelzebozo said:

Buy it.

The sense that it isn't all about combat and taking the environment in context is something C2 and HL2 have in common. Crysis 2 is the first FPS to pull me in since HL2.

The best way I can explain it is, C2 has more meat to it.

Dennis

Banned
EatChildren said:
My pictures suck.
Yeah...it is really vaseliney. Do you use Edge-AA?

Most of the Crysis 2 screenshots, not all, that people post have that vaseline look and I don't know if its because people prefer that look or what it is.

Until I got the game myself, I was very discouraged with the graphics saw in the screenshots.

I am not sure why a lot of the screenshots have such awful IQ.

Dilly

Banned
The way the environment and New York changes throughout the game is fantastic though.

Crytek really did a great job on that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Insertia said:
Buy it.

The sense that it isn't all about combat and taking the environment in context is something C2 and HL2 have in common. Crysis 2 is the first FPS to pull me in since HL2.

The best way I can explain it is, C2 has more meat to it.
I agree. The quiet moments and atmosphere in this are fantastic and I think they'll appeal to a lot of Half-Life fans. I do play a lot of FPS but this one has pulled me in more than any since Bioshock. The view of the destruction is different than other games and you get to see the actual civilian rescue operations instead of just the military side of things. You really feel like you have a reason to fight. I've also been to NYC quite a few times and the setting actually feels like NYC instead of a generic game city. There are tons of little details to take in and, of course, the combat options are awesome.

Top Bottom