• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

EatChildren said:
PC. The stability on my end is rock solid. I get really great net performance. The problem is everyone else. One of the server I joined someone joked that everyone other than him and I must be from China, because everyone else was pinging at over 300. There's a whole bunch of Australian dedicated servers which are running a wide variety of gameplay modes and modifiers, which is really fantastic, but I cant go a single match without having to deal with an insane amount of laggers. Only a couple of matches of TDM ago the entire red team was pinging well over 300, some into 400.

This was the last match I played.

crysis22011-03-2901-31ujlc.jpg

It's so bad.

Is it possible for the pings to be fabricated? Because I thought there was some issue with the beta where everyone's connection always looked good to them yet everyone else's always looked shitty. Sounds sketchy to me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DennisK4 said:
Anyone else hate the Feline gun? What a POS.
It's alright, but I usually picked the Scar/Scarab over it and then near the end I used the burst fire assault rifle. I can't remember the name though.

I don't know why they didn't do this. It would have kept the story simple and to the point. It would have been cool to see Helena Rosenthal, too. Meh.
She could have briefed you in the plane at the start of the game that you dive out of sans parachute. Also, her character model looked a lot better than that new chick. The new chick is like paper bag material.

Insertia

This is the most epic single player FPS EVAR. (Half Life 2, sorry)

It just continues to get more and more awesome. On my way to Wall Street.

Jin

Insertia said:

If you think everything that happen before Wall Street was the most epic, you're in for a surprise :)

Stitch said:
too bad that it never really works.

?

A couple of times I'd see a human or alien taking cover behind a car or near it. I go stealth and kick it in their face.

EatChildren said:
PC. The stability on my end is rock solid. I get really great net performance. The problem is everyone else. One of the server I joined someone joked that everyone other than him and I must be from China, because everyone else was pinging at over 300. There's a whole bunch of Australian dedicated servers which are running a wide variety of gameplay modes and modifiers, which is really fantastic, but I cant go a single match without having to deal with an insane amount of laggers. Only a couple of matches of TDM ago the entire red team was pinging well over 300, some into 400.

This was the last match I played.

http://www.abload.de/img/crysis22011-03-2901-31ujlc.jpg

It's so bad.
Damn that sucks

Truant

Mid-game spoilers.

Wait, is the fact that Hargreave (or however it's spelled) is alive a spoiler? Because they showed that shit in the Giant Bomb Quicklook. His daughter said he was dead, or something.

If that's the twist, then I'm disappointed.

StuBurns

Banned
Insertia said:

Like rating sex before you get your pants off, the game hasn't even cleared it's throat to sing yet.

Truant said:
Mid-game spoilers.

Wait, is the fact that Hargreave (or however it's spelled) is alive a spoiler? Because they showed that shit in the Giant Bomb Quicklook. His daughter said he was dead, or something.

Hmm there's more to it than that.

jett said:
Stealth handgun for humans
Shotgun for aliens

There are other weapons in this game? lololol.
The M12 Nova (the SMG that shoots out electricity) would like to have a word with you because it destroyyyyyys close and mid range, just tears shit up. I keep that thing as long as it lets me

Grendel AR does huge damage too. I only just got it though so I have to test it more but I immediately noticed aliens going down quicker

The grenade launcher thing would be better if you didn't basically have to direct hit them =/ I don't think we can detonate the grenades

I'm kinda sad the SCARAB has suddenly disappeared over the last several chapters. Silencer + scarab + red dot sight + semi automatic was a fun combo to stealth around with. All I see now is the SCAR

EDIT- Oh almost forgot to mention the HMG turret. Is there a better and more satisfying mobile turret than this monster? Love the loud booming sound effect and the subtle rumble

JB1981

jett said:
Stealth handgun for humans
Shotgun for aliens

There are other weapons in this game? lololol.

Really? I find the weapons to be amazing all around. I am going to use the pistol more next go round though.

Miggytronz

Truant said:
Mid-game spoilers.

Neuromancer said:
Hmm there's more to it than that.

yeah wait til near the end. YOU WILL SHIT BRICKS.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Booted up some Warhead and realized how much better quick save made the game. Is it even possible someone could mod a quick save feature in?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
StuBurns said:
Like rating sex before you get your pants off, the game hasn't even cleared it's throat to sing yet.

do you agree with that assessment? that's a bold statement. that makes me want to go buy the game post-haste after work instead of sitting around twiddling my thumbs about it. i'm certainly curious but i'm worried it would be too "mechanics-centric" without the guided scenario, pacing, and spectacle to hold my attention. does that make any sense?

when people invoke the name of HALF-LIFE i perk up quick.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ysiadmihi said:
Booted up some Warhead and realized how much better quick save made the game. Is it even possible someone could mod a quick save feature in?
There was a pretty ghetto mod that put quicksaving into Far Cry so I'm sure the community will be able to work something out here. It was really a startling omission after they made such progress in C1.

Hixx

Heavy said:
I'm kinda sad the SCARAB has suddenly disappeared over the last several chapters. Silencer + scarab + red dot sight + semi automatic was a fun combo to stealth around with. All I see now is the SCAR

Yeah this gun basically disappears for like the middle third of the game and its really disappointing BUT it did force me to get involved in combat a bit more & try new weapons out so I didn't mind too much. But for my probable Super Human run having it all the time would have been so handy.

Mikasangelos said:
yeah wait til near the end. YOU WILL SHIT BRICKS.

Funny that 'it' gets spoiled by Strickland before you actually
meet him

One trailer also makes it kind of obvious because of what Hargreave says in it.
something like century of development something, something.

kamspy

beelzebozo said:
do you agree with that assessment? that's a bold statement. that makes me want to go buy the game post-haste after work instead of sitting around twiddling my thumbs about it. i'm certainly curious but i'm worried it would be too "mechanics-centric" without the guided scenario, pacing, and spectacle to hold my attention. does that make any sense?

Best FPS campaign ever.

StuBurns

Banned
beelzebozo said:

I don't agree it's a better campaign than HL2 on PC. I'd say it's probably the best single player shooter on consoles though.

I was just surprised someone would rate it so highly when they've yet to get to what I thought was the good stuff. I think it starts pretty weak.

EDIT: Actually looking at the level list, Rat Lab is before Wall Street, and that's when it gets good for me, level 4.

PjotrStroganov said:
Funny that 'it' gets spoiled by Strickland before you actually
meet him

One trailer also makes it kind of obvious because of what Hargreave says in it.
something like century of development something, something.
Yea, in one trailer he says
'So you can finish what I started over a century ago'.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
StuBurns said:
I don't agree it's a better campaign than HL2 on PC. I'd say it's probably the best single player shooter on consoles though.

I was just surprised someone would rate it so highly when they've yet to get to what I thought was the good stuff. I think it starts pretty slowly.

HALF-LIFE 2 was a console game for me, so the distinction is sort of nonexistent. but if there's any connection whatsoever in terms of pacing, presentation, or experience in general, i'm on this. i tend to forego things like HALO, COD, or anything that is strictly about the strength of its mechanics, angling more toward HL, BIOSHOCK, and fpses of that nature which are very much more about the total experience. note that this is my evaluation of them and far from scientific. but i hope i am communicating effectively here, haha.

scitek

Killed one of the big guys (fuck the names, I don't remember 'em) and he keeled over on the front of a cab while flames were shooting out of it.

c2lights3d72b.gif

JB1981

beelzebozo said:

the gameplay in crysis destroys half life but the writing, storytelling, pacing and overral game direction isn't nearly as good.

StuBurns

Banned
beelzebozo said:
HALF-LIFE 2 was a console game for me, so the distinction is sort of nonexistent. but if there's any connection whatsoever in terms of pacing, presentation, or experience in general, i'm on this. i tend to forego things like HALO, COD, or anything that is strictly about the strength of its mechanics, angling more toward HL, BIOSHOCK, and fpses of that nature which are very much more about the total experience. note that this is my evaluation of them and far from scientific. but i hope i am communicating effectively here, haha.
For me HL2's pacing is hurt quite a bit on console, it's a lot slower for me. But still I think Crysis 2 is some middle ground between HL2 and Halo, you have periods of traversal between combat instances like in HL2, but the instances themselves are more like Halo (or more like Crysis if that's a touchstone for you).

It doesn't have the heart of HL2, it's not as polished, but I think it does a good job of giving you a sense of place and having traveled a great distance.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
It doesn't have the heart of HL2, it's not as polished, but I think it does a good job of giving you a sense of place and having traveled a great distance.
That effect was ruined for me by the random distances traveled between levels. It started off great and then it started making really weird jumps, sometimes for no apparent reason other than to make sure you saw some other landmark.

The sense of place though really is incredible.

EekTheKat

I got a strange
Robocop
vibe from the game at times.
Between the circumstances surrounding Alcatraz and the Nanosuit 2 and Hargreave looking like Dick Jones

Stitch

Gold Member
Hadoken said:
A couple of times I'd see a human or alien taking cover behind a car or near it. I go stealth and kick it in their face.
i did it too and it just pushed them away a bit. i gues the hit detection just sucks :-/

Half-Life 2 definitely has more "heart" like StuBurns said, along with better story-telling, characters and writing for sure. Crysis 2 is a lot more fun to play, though. The gameplay is just better... the gunplay, the suit powers, the upgrades, traversing through the environment, the enemies. I don't know which game I like better overall. Their strong points are like polar opposites to one another.

StuBurns said:
EDIT: Actually looking at the level list, Rat Lab is before Wall Street, and that's when it gets good for me, level 4.
Exactly when it got really good for me (Lab Rat).

scitek said:
Killed one of the big guys (fuck the names, I don't remember 'em) and he keeled over on the front of a cab while flames were shooting out of it.

c2lights3d72b.gif
HOLY CRAP

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Class_A_Ninja said:
Sorry to bring this to the thread, but I have no demos to go by.

PC:
CPU: 2.4 C2duo E6600
Ram: 4 gigs
GPU: GTX 480 1 gig.

Or Xbox 360 (or PS3...)

I actually bought warhead cheap so I guess I can see how that runs on my PC if it would be any gauge. My processor burned me on Black Ops PC, and I don't know if my heart can take it any more.

late to this but it runs great on those specs. You have the same as me by the looks of it but with a better graphics card (GTX260 here)

screens (using the autoexec.cfg in the OP); click for original size

StuBurns

Banned
Stallion Free said:
That effect was ruined for me by the random distances traveled between levels. It started off great and then it started making really weird jumps, sometimes for no apparent reason other than to make sure you saw some other landmark.

The sense of place though really is incredible.
I would agree to a degree, I think it lacks cohesion in terms of the journey, and certainly fails to communicate the motivations for those trips, something HL2 did excellently, but in terms of sheer geometry, I feel like the game spans a colossal distance and the atmosphere is really well done. I think a lot of the time they make decisions just based on how it'll look as appose to what would produce the most consistent experience, but I think because of the long loading screen things it doesn't hurt the experience it would if there was no loading or a single linear path like HL2.

scitek

StuBurns said:
I would agree to a degree, I think it lacks cohesion in terms of the journey, and certainly fails to communicate the motivations for those trips, something HL2 did excellently, but in terms of sheer geometry, I feel like the game spans a colossal distance and the atmosphere is really well done. I think a lot of the time they make decisions just based on how it'll look as appose to what would produce the most consistent experience, but I think because of the long loading screen things it doesn't hurt the experience it would if there was no loading or a single linear path like HL2.

Man, you wanna talk about loading screens hurting the experience, that's where we talk about HL2 in my eyes.

StuBurns

Banned
scitek said:
Man, you wanna talk about loading screens hurting the experience, that's where we talk about HL2 in my eyes.
No doubt, they just throw them up mid area, my point was more that with Crysis 2's loading screens they drown the player in convoluted explanations and 3D maps, remove you completely from the area you just were for thirty seconds, it helps to separate the levels for me. In HL2 the screen dims, you were in the middle of doing something, if Crysis 2 did it like that, and did the strange location jumps it does it'd be more jarring.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is there a way to altogether disable detail objects that pop out a few metres ahead of you in anything but the extreme settings? I'd rather not have them at all rather than have them pop up out of nowhere. I'd like this for the original Crysis too if possible (there they pop up even with max settings). It's just random clutter that doesn't affect gameplay.

Dennis

Banned
Crysis 2 is an early contender for GOTY for me personally, and quite frankly it should be on any credible games publication/sites list as well.

beelzebozo said:

This game is amazing, you should definately get it.

Omiee

DennisK4 said:
Crysis 2 is an early contender for GOTY for me personally, and quite frankly it should be on any credible games publication/sites list as well.

hey i took your advice and downloaded that program ( no time yesterday ) what did you tell me to do with edge aa again so its clear?
and should FSAA be enabled?

jett

D-Member
Half-Life 2 is an infinitely better experience than Crysis 2. C2 is good, but HL2 is simply one of the best games ever made.

Kevin

DennisK4 said:

I agree, after all the negativity surrounding this title, I "Almost" skipped it. However I ended up making the purchase and Crysis 2 resides as one of the best first person shooters I have played and I've played pretty much them all. Still excited for the DX11 tech though and I hope it adds some big graphics improvements but as the game stands now, it's still pretty epic.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
DennisK4 said:

Which is what I said near the beginning of this thread and folks laughed. I think it's awesome. It's definitely got that certain magic about it. It plays like a perfect fps to me. I'm loving every single level.

Omiee

so i downloaded crysis advanced graphics thing and i put everything on extreme but on the lower side of the program it says autoexe.cfg not found. default settings loaded.
whats up with that.

nvm it works now.
so what are some of the best settings to put in that thing, like field of view and AA settings

Top Bottom