• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm waiting to see the first person to say they completed the game only using the melee. It's pretty powerful.

The A.I can be funny at times. I saw these two solders walk into each other behind a barrier and were basically stuck to each other and jigging due to the walking animation and physics. It made for a couple a easy kills.

Stitch

Gold Member
crysis22011-03-2820-020mxo.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dennis, your screens are amazing. Only Battlefield 3 on PC is going to give this a run for it's money visually this year. Please tell me you're just replaying stuff for screens and that's not actually how far you are into the game. You've got like 10+ hours left if that's the case.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DennisK4 said:
Yeah...it is really vaseliney. Do you use Edge-AA?

Nope. 4xMSAA. FSAA is on though. I'll try it off.

As far as I'm aware I'm using the exact same setting as you, except running in 1920x1080 instead of your 1923123124x29478r52341.

I'm not sure why I cant get the same kind of screenshot clarity as you. The only reason I can think of is that because your shots are taken at a higher pixel resolution, when downscaled they have more information to work with, and thus look sharper than native 1080p shots.

Dennis

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:
It probably will -- but only because a console version exists.
I still remember the way Crysis got snubbed.

RoboPlato said:
Please tell me you're just replaying stuff for screens and that's not actually how far you are into the game. You've got like 10+ hours left if that's the case.
Crysis 2 is a 30+ hour game for me.

Best value for money in 2011!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
BeeDog said:
The Jackal is the best weapon in the game <3
Man it really is. The thing absolutely FLATTENS those big brute guys in seconds. It's basically my main weapon for the last 1/3rd of the game, along with the grendel.

Lostconfused said:
According to what I read in the book the suit IS alien. Hargreave just reverse engineered the whole thing. I really should finish the book.
This was explained in the game as well.

subversus said:
CALL OF DUTY 4
This is why I stopped visiting GT forever.

No DX11 patch yet I presume? And does anyone else have an insane sensitivity increase when using an assault scope? Aiming down iron sights/red DOT is fine, but if I aim down an assault scope for some reason the sensitivity seems ridiculous. I have to lower my DPI using a special mouse button to make it usable.

See You Next Wednesday said:
Unmodded vanilla Crysis 1 isn't all that killer looking & it seems a few sites agreed.

It's killer looking when compared to COD4 no matter how you cut it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just finished it myself. Definitely a great game overall, but there are weak points throughout that let the experience down.

Still, it's a very long campaign, the gameplay is generally awesome, and the visuals are amazing so I can't level too many complaints.

I'll probably have to jot down some other thoughts once I've thought about it a bit more. At this point, I'm feeling like Crysis 1 and 2 are about on equal footing for me with each having unique advantages. I also feel like Warhead is a couple of quality notches below both of those.

Dennis

Banned
It just occurred to me - Post-human is actually a lot harder than Delta was.

Thats rare these days. Sequel being harder, not easier, than the predecessor. And a console game to boot!

I rather see native shots rather than these downsampled from 1600p to 1080p shots. It's an inaccurate representation of the game when the shots are downsampled, imo. More for the art thread rather than in here.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well, MSAA is clearly the culprit. I've taken two shots you can see below. Both use the exact same settings (turned FSAA off for both), except that the first uses no MSAA, while the second uses 4xMSAA. It's not just applying AA, but also significantly bluring the image. It's really noticable on the nanosuit hand texture, the measurement marks on the iron sights, the steel plate on the ground, and pretty much everywhere else in varying degrees.

msaa0zy6y.jpg

msaa14ym3.jpg

I wonder why it is doing this for me.

VaLiancY said:
So what's everyone's opinion about the MP? I'm really on the fence with this and MP will be the deal breaker.

PC or 360? I can vouch for the awesomeness of the multiplayer on the box. Sounds like there are a lot more problems on pc as far as connections go, though.

VaLiancY said:
So what's everyone's opinion about the MP? I'm really on the fence with this and MP will be the deal breaker.
I've only played a tiny bit + the MP demo but I've been stalking this thread and the general consensus seems to be that the core gameplay is really good and even though it's COD-ish (perks, kill streaks, XP, levels) it does enough to differentiate from that formula thanks to the suit powers and other unique features. The big problem seems to be with the net code... people getting stuck with 11 guys with 300+ pings. A bunch of console lag/net code issues as well. Probably YMMV type of thing but still a major concern.

DennisK4 said:
It just occurred to me - Post-human is actually a lot harder than Delta was.

Thats rare these days. Sequel being harder, not easier, than the predecessor. And a console game to boot!
Really? I am playing it more like a regular shooter and I am having very little trouble with it.

EatChildren said:
Well, MSAA is clearly the culprit. I've taken two shots you can see below. Both use the exact same settings (turned FSAA off for both), except that the first uses no MSAA, while the second uses 4xMSAA. It's not just applying AA, but also significantly bluring the image. It's really noticable on the nanosuit hand texture, the measurement marks on the iron sights, the steel plate on the ground, and pretty much everywhere else in varying degrees.

http://www.abload.de/img/msaa0zy6y.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/msaa14ym3.jpg

Honestly I'd take the slight blur over those way too noticeable jaggies in the first pic.

Dennis

Banned
Heavy said:
I rather see native shots rather than these downsampled from 1600p to 1080p shots. It's an inaccurate representation of the game when the shots are downsampled, imo. More for the art thread rather than in here.
The two latest are 1600p to 1200p shots.

And it makes no difference with the downsampling really, because they are with 4xMSAA also, so there is very, very little aliasing on the originals. And with the very high pixel density of my monitor, the 2560 x 1600 originals with 4xMSAA are almost jaggy-free. I resize them to 1920x1200 mostly to make them more convenient to watch and to reduce file size.

DennisK4 said:
The two latest are 1600p to 1200p shots.

And it makes no difference with the downsampling really, because they are with 4xMSAA also, so there is very, very little aliasing on the originals. And with the very high pixel density of my monitor, the 2560 x 1600 originals with 4xMSAA are almost jaggy-free. I resize them to 1920x1200 mostly to make them more convenient to watch and to reduce file size.
I don't think the 2560x1600 res is the only reason your screens are so sharp. The downsampling clearly has an effect... compare the downsampled shots to the native 1600p. Anyway, most of us in here can view huge pics with no probs :D

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm amazed by how good this game looks. It was utterly ugly in MP.

God damnit, I need my new PC parts to hurry the fuck up.
Multi looked good for how well it ran. I had no problem locking it at 60fps even in heavy action and it still looked better than CoD.

Zenith

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:
Yea, in one trailer he says
'So you can finish what I started over a century ago'.

I can't believe they put out Prophet's final flashback as a trailer before the game released.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Any good tweaks for people who don't want to just set everything as high as it can possibly go on better than top of the line computers? Turning stuff down at random often results in game grippling experiences, like explosions and other similar events overlaying the whole screen with nothing but black...

I basically just want to keep the shadows, textures and objects at high (although getting rid of detail objects altogether - no pop in - would be even better) and everything else I can get rid of, I want it gone. low physics, effects, smoke, etc. But without making it so the visuals break altogether...

SapientWolf said:
Multi looked good for how well it ran. I had no problem locking it at 60fps even in heavy action and it still looked better than CoD.
Yeah it looked better than CoD but it was still uglyyyy.

It made me cynical Crytek would have the SP visuals more polished, but I was completely wrong. It's like night and day.

Dennis

Banned
EatChildren said:

Huge difference, yeah. Its weird.

1) have you enabled any kind of motion blur and radial blur etc.? I have all that shit off.

2) any conflicts with graphic card drivers also enabled? Turn off AA in driver.

3) ATI or Nvidia? I am using an ATI card. I am actually not using the latest Catalyst driver.

Dennis

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah it looked better than CoD but it was still uglyyyy.

It made me cynical Crytek would have the SP visuals more polished, but I was completely wrong. It's like night and day.
MP demo was ugly as fuck. Almost made me give up on the SP.

That Pier something something map has the ugliest lighting known to gaming. Nauseating.

Lurchio

VaLiancY said:

It's really good when it's not lagging but unfortunately that seems rare,without a patch to sort the issues out(host selection seems f*cked) I can't imagine many people will stick with it,shame.360 BTW.

Top Bottom