• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah it looked better than CoD but it was still uglyyyy.

It made me cynical Crytek would have the SP visuals more polished, but I was completely wrong. It's like night and day.

How much did you play the multiplayer? Some of the maps actually look great. Pier 17 and Skyline are not two of them. Try lighthouse, sanctuary, parking deck for example; I think they all look great.

XPE

Any one else think the 1st part of the game was its weakest point it just seems to take forever to get going.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
How much did you play the multiplayer? Some of the maps actually look great. Pier 17 and Skyline are not two of them. Try lighthouse, sanctuary, parking deck for example; I think they all look great.
None of those maps were in the demo, which is what he meant. Only Poop 17 and Shitline were there.

Im considering getting this, but I need to know how it runs and of course the demo didnt work for me. My specs are:

4870 1gb
Core 2 Duo 6850
1 gig of ram
EDIT:4 gigs ram

And I would be playing at 1680x1050

Will I be able to get at least medium settings with C2?

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Well so far I only have the demo to go by, but the difference in graphical quality between those two MP maps the (good) SP images posted in this thread is huge.

It's alright though cos I have no interest in the MP side of Crysis.

Railer

Picked it up for PS3 today and really enjoy it so far. Didn't play that far in single player though, i kinda jumped on the multi-player. Gonna play through the single player this weekend.

While i really enjoy it so far, the biggest issue for me with the multi-player so far is the size of the maps. A few games I've played i just can't find enemies for the longest time. Maybe I'm just unlucky and getting into games with not that many players. However when i find dudes to shoot i really enjoy it.

jett

D-Member
CriginsMcJuggs said:
Im considering getting this, but I need to know how it runs and of course the demo didnt work for me. My specs are:

4870 1gb
Core 2 Duo 6850
1 gig of ram

edit: 4GB then? Game will run fine.

CriginsMcJuggs said:

4870 1gb
Core 2 Duo 6850
1 gig of ram

I have a 4870 and it runs fine on very high, you'll probably need more ram though (the cheapest and easiest part of the PC to upgrade, so count yourself lucky).

Lemonz

sn00zer said:
Where's the Direct X 11 shots? Thought the patch came out today

http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=15962

Cry-Tom said:
No patch was ever confirmed, I have no idea why this website even posted such information. This thread is locked just the same as the others for trying to spread inaccurate information. When there are any big announcements regarding Crysis 2 they will be posted on MyCrysis, if you read something about a patch for example, but don't see it on MyCrysis.com, then it isn't genuine.

Dennis

Banned
CriginsMcJuggs said:

4870 1gb
Core 2 Duo 6850
1 gig of ram

You may even be able to max out the settings depending on how important high fps is for you.

It will run fine for you.

AMAZING PERFORMANCE.

This is the biggest accomplishment in graphical programming in a long time. I can't believe how good it looks with decent framerates even on my old GPUs.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Well so far I only have the demo to go by, but the difference in graphical quality between those two MP maps the (good) SP images posted in this thread is huge.

It's alright though cos I have no interest in the MP side of Crysis.

Well I would hope graphics isn't the only thing stopping you from playing multiplayer. I like make things go boom and people go splat.

MrTroubleMaker said:
It's not out. I hope it's a huge patch with hi-res textures.

Its not going to happen today, Crytek isn't taking it lightly, the patch will probably be huge. With A.I tweaks, fixes for on-line gaming, and the obvious DX11 graphics and perofrmance features.

derFeef said:
He is not going to max it and have a smooth experience, but medium/custom seetings for sure.
He'll max it and have a smooth experience, the game is about as graphically demanding as you'd expect from a linear shooter, that is to say, not very.

derFeef

MickeyKnox said:
He'll max it and have a smooth experience, the game is about as graphically demanding as you'd expect from a linear shooter, that is to say, not very.
With smooth experience I am talking about a constant 60fps. Maybe he can lock it at 30, but it will dip for sure.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Well I would hope graphics isn't the only thing stopping you from playing multiplayer. I like make things go boom and people go splat.
Nah, I didn't think it played that well as an MP game, really.

If I want a good MP fps I'll play Counter-Strike or Modern Warfare 2, or wait for BF3.

MickeyKnox said:
It's not that linear. Many of the environments are huge with tons of shit going down on screen and a crazy amount of geometry. It's just incredibly well optimized. Clearly Crytek made optimization their first priority when making this game so the "$2000 PC to run Crysis" meme could be put to rest. Like Dennis said, this has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in gaming programming in a long time.

DennisK4 said:
Huge difference, yeah. Its weird.

1) have you enabled any kind of motion blur and radial blur etc.? I have all that shit off.

2) any conflicts with graphic card drivers also enabled? Turn off AA in driver.

3) ATI or Nvidia? I am using an ATI card. I am actually not using the latest Catalyst driver.

In other words, you are not only using MSAA4x;)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
MickeyKnox said:
Do you actually have a system similar to his and have you finished the game? I've got an E8500 and a GTX285. I'm on Win7 64bit with pretty much anything unneeded disabled, including fancy Windows themes and processes. It runs like shit in many instances on max and even lower settings @ 720p, even with attempts for custom configs like turning physics and other things low/off. Some levels are smoother, and multiplayer is mostly smooth, but to claim the majority of the single player is would be bs.

Unless barely keeping up with a 30fps rate is now considered smooth...

Dennis

Banned
derFeef said:
With smooth experience I am talking about a constant 60fps. Maybe he can lock it at 30, but it will dip for sure.
Nobody really needs anything above 30 fps.

Once you hit that 25 fps, its time to use more AA!

Alextended said:
Do you actually have a system similar to his and have you finished the game? I've got an E8500 and a GTX285. I'm on Win7 64bit with pretty much anything unneeded disabled, including fancy Windows themes and processes. It runs like shit in many instances on max and even lower settings @ 720p, even with attempts for custom configs like turning physics and other things low/off. Some levels are smoother, and multiplayer is mostly smooth, but to claim the majority of the single player is would be bs.
Question: Does disabling Aero before playing even do anything?

Heavy said:
It's not that linear. Many of the environments are huge with tons of shit going down on screen and a crazy amount of geometry. It's just incredibly well optimized. Clearly Crytek made optimization their first priority when making this game so the "$2000 PC to run Crysis" meme could be put to rest. Like Dennis said, this has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in gaming programming in a long time.
1. Yes it is
2. No they're not
3. Skimping on quality =/= incredibly optimized

MRORANGE

anyone else feel that certain elements of the game were just completely unfinished or just skipped over due to a rushed schedule?

example pic: ladder - I thought I could climb this and use this to get to the top like in Crysis 1 :|

Iod39.jpg

asdasdsa

Alexios

Heavy said:
Question: Does disabling Aero before playing even do anything?
Nope. I just keep everything I don't need off anyway, not just for this game. I'm OCD like that...

@above, that's not unfinished, they just made a pretty limited environment and littered it with invisible walls and other ways to not let you go where they don't want you to.

sleepykyo

DennisK4 said:

I've got to save that Professor Finch sarcasm detector image, seeing as mine is definitely broken.

Alexios

Some people play games to have fun with their gameplay, not by posting pretty screenshots >_>

sleepykyo said:
I've got to save that Professor Finch sarcasm detector image, seeing as mine is definitely broken.
Its Dennis. There is absolutely no sarcasm in that post. Although I wouldn't play this game at all if it wasn't running at a solid 60 fps.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DennisK4 said:
Huge difference, yeah. Its weird.

1) have you enabled any kind of motion blur and radial blur etc.? I have all that shit off.

2) any conflicts with graphic card drivers also enabled? Turn off AA in driver.

3) ATI or Nvidia? I am using an ATI card. I am actually not using the latest Catalyst driver.

1) Yes. Just tried them off and compared a shot, and it looks the same as the other with MSAA. MSAA is causing all the bluring.

2) I dont think so. The control panel states that all AA related settings are application controlled. Nothing is being forced.

3) nVidia.

This is pissing me off. I either have to deal with jaggy hell, or a noticable loss in image clarity. MSAA smooths the image, but also blurs the textures.

The game looks good either way of course, but just taking it for a spin with MSAA turned off shows a noticable increase in texture clarity, even with the jaggies ruining everything else.

Does anybody with a bit more technical knowledge know why this is happening?

MickeyKnox said:
1. Yes it is
2. No they're not
3. Skimping on quality =/= incredibly optimized
You were the guy that said the campaign was as linear and corridor-ish as Killzone 2's. I honestly can't take your opinions seriously because you exaggerate so much and clearly have a slanted opinion. I'm the same way but at least I criticize the game a bunch as well and try to come off more reasonable and fair.

And it's obvious there's a ton more geometry on screen with Crysis 2 than Crysis 1. Packed city landscapes and architecture with tons of objects littered all over the place >>> open terrain with copy/pasted trees + several wooden shacks.

MRORANGE said:
anyone else feel that certain elements of the game were just completely unfinished or just skipped over due to a rushed schedule?

example pic: ladder - I thought I could climb this and use this to get to the top like in Crysis 1 :|

Iod39.jpg

asdasdsa

The FPS probably would have dropped to single digits, once you made it to the top.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
MRORANGE said:

http://i.imgur.com/Iod39.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]

yeah, I tried to do that same thing.

I've also hit a few invisible walls which just made me stop and shake my head.

Wazzim

Banned
DennisK4 said:

lol

But seriously, games like Crysis need to be played on the highest settings that allow a 30+FPS experience. Everything above 30 as minimum framerate is good.
Besides, with C2, you can turn off the blur and see your performance jump 20fps with better (imo) visuals.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Wazzim said:
lol

But seriously, games like Crysis need to be played on the highest settings that allow a 30+FPS experience. Everything above 30 as minimum framerate is good.
Besides, with C2, you can turn off the blur and see your performance jump 20fps with better (imo) visuals.
I agree. But only in single player. Multi needs to be 60+ with no vsync.

StuBurns

Banned
Heavy said:
There's CLEARLY a deep literary meaning to the wondrous tale of Crysis 2 that even Dostoyevsky would be envious of. We just haven't found it yet.
The story is clearly an allegory for game writing composition, the suit itself taking the role of the story, Alcatraz is Richard Morgan and Prophet is Cevat Yerli.

Top Bottom