• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Heavy said:
There's CLEARLY a deep literary meaning to the wondrous tale of Crysis 2 that even Dostoyevsky would be envious of. We just haven't found it yet.

I'm on my third playthrough, and I can't stop cringing long enough during the dialogue scenes to figure out what's going on. This has to be the worst scripted AAA game I've played in as long as I can remember. I just ignore/skip through it to the action!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PaddyOCanager said:
I'm on my third playthrough, and I can't stop cringing long enough during the dialogue scenes to figure out what's going on. This has to be the worst scripted AAA game I've played in as long as I can remember. I just ignore/skip through it to the action!
It's just such a shame as the simple tale of the original was fairly well told and engaging.

The cutscene direction in Crysis 2 is also pretty outstanding. I love the first person cinematic sequences they crafted. It's just a shame they lead nowhere.

Oh god, the multiplayer is so broken. It took ages to find a match, and when it did it usually wasn't filled up and laggy as hell. Seems Reach will have to fulfill my multiplayer fix.

And the dialog is actually one of the highlights of Crysis 2's campaign for me. The story is a complete clusterfuck, and those intermission loading screen/cutscenes are a horrible thing that should've stayed in the Modern Warfare franchise.

I also wish the in-game cutscenes were skippable. It's not a problem for me anymore now that I have all the SP achievements, but having to sit through that entire opening section of "Masks Off" so I could get a speeding ticket at the end :)lol) was annoying as shit.

spicy cho

I have to admit, though I may like the art direction and environments of the first game more, Crysis 2 looks pretty fantastic aside from the odd texture and I get 50-70fps no matter how much crazy shit is happening. Quite an amazing feat.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow, I just noticed that I have the third highest number of posts in this thread. I haven't participated this much in an OT ever. I guess I kind of just got blindsided with how great this game is. I was one of the people that was really worried about the PS3 version before launch and only got the game since I was intrigued and only had to pay $10 since I had gift cards. I wound up getting the most engrossing FPS since Ep.2 and Bioshock. I'm not a big MP guy so it was nice to play a single player focused shooter and have it last more than one or two sittings.

stuminus3

So I'm about half-way through and I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised.

I'm also amazed at how well the game performs cranked all the way up to the Extreme setting at 1600x900 with my HD5770, considering how good it looks.

Well played, Crytek.

CriginsMcJuggs said:
Im considering getting this, but I need to know how it runs and of course the demo didnt work for me. My specs are:

4870 1gb
Core 2 Duo 6850
1 gig of ram
EDIT:4 gigs ram

And I would be playing at 1680x1050

Will I be able to get at least medium settings with C2?

You'll get a mostly locked 30fps at extreme settings actually, no need to turn anything down.

My GTX 260 manages the same at 1080p and the game isn't very demanding on the CPU.

------------------------

Few tips to get the best clarity out of Crysis 2:

Force AF through your drivers, the ingame solution appears to be variable even when set to 16x. Even setting 12xAF through my drivers looked noticably better than 16xAF through my autoexec.cfg.

Set all these lines in the config file:

r_PostMSAA=2
r_UseEdgeAA=0
r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV = 0

You'll get absolutely no additional blurring with these settings but antialiasing quality will still be very good.

I noticed a few people were leaving out the last setting while complaining that postMSAA was causing detail destroying blur, well there's your explanation. Extreme settings on Nvidia hardware enables FXAA, which, while eliminating almost all traces of aliasing (of all varieties) it does add a slight overall blur to the image.

Apart from an ever so slightly increased FOV and a 30fps cap, I don't force any other config options over and above the default extreme settings and its very rare the the game ever drops frames. Nothing I've ever played on this system looks remotely comparable.

kamspy

brain_stew said:
You'll get a mostly locked 30fps at extreme settings actually, no need to turn anything down.

Set all these lines in the config file:

r_PostMSAA=2
r_UseEdgeAA=0

Gonna give these a shot. All other configs have been subpar to vanilla extreme. Let's see if these keep the perfect AA intact.

dark10x said:
It's just such a shame as the simple tale of the original was fairly well told and engaging.

The cutscene direction in Crysis 2 is also pretty outstanding. I love the first person cinematic sequences they crafted. It's just a shame they lead nowhere.

I can't agree with this more. I loved the story in the original, for what it was. That game had such a great sense of atmosphere and the story complemented it. The mystery of the island, the KPA's role, your objectives, and the aliens' arrival slowly unfolded to this massive climax.

I remember the first act of the game, seeing mountain looming in the distance (like 3km away). It was slowly breaking apart, sending tremors throughout the island. It was a constant foreboding element, you just knew bad things were going to happen.

In C2 the presentation and gameplay is outstanding. It's just missing the other elements I loved in the original.

Dennis

Banned
Autoexec.cfg:

sys_spec_shading=3
sys_spec_gameeffects=3
sys_spec_objectdetail=3
sys_spec_particles=3
sys_spec_physics=3
sys_spec_postprocessing=3
sys_spec_shadows=2
sys_spec_sound=3
sys_spec_texture=3
sys_spec_water=3
g_skipIntro=0
cl_fov=70
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=70
i_mouse_accel=0
i_mouse_accel_max=100
i_mouse_smooth=0
r_motionblur=0
g_radialBlur=0
cl_zoomToggle=0
r_UseEdgeAA=0
r_TexMaxAnisotropy=16
r_PostMSAA=2
cl_crouchtoggle=1
r_ColorGrading=1
r_SSAO=1
r_VSync=0
r_MotionBlurShutterSpeed=1
e_shadows=1
g_enableInitialLoginScreen=0
r_HDRBloomMul=1
r_HDRBrightLevel=1
r_multithreaded=1
r_ShadersDX11=1
r_ShadersDX9=0
r_driver=dx10

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ok so it was the r_motionblur=0 command that made closeup explosions and the like spread black void for me. Set it to at least 1 people, 0 will fuck with your game.

Unless there's another setting that counters that, idk.

And unless you just wanna show off screens I guess.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
Textures are of a lower resolution, no enemy variety, less detail on them.
To be fair, Crysis 1 didn't have a lot of enemy variety, either. You had the soldiers, the supersoldiers, the naked aliens, the aliens and the Hunter.

Crysis 2 has soldiers, grunt aliens, boss aliens, tank aliens, Pingers and those ninja-aliens.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
Textures are of a lower resolution, no enemy variety, less detail on them.

Textures are a lower resolution sure and there's probably lower geometry counts in some scenes (although the near complete elimination of popin at extreme settings probably put the counts much closer than you'd think) but the lighting and postprocessing is genuinely a complete generation ahead of the original game, yet performance is almost doubled.

There's nothing technically impressive about high resolution textures.

Grisby

So I just finished. I'll post some overall impressions later. It was an enjoyable ride and a long one. Damn, that was a meaty campaign.

Questions: I take it my dog tags and collectibles all carry over for a second playthrough? Also, I assume if I choose resume game it'll just take me to my last checkpoint? If I want a new game plus I have to select a new campaign?

I ask because some games are so finicky with this and its a bit hard to understand.

DennisK4 said:
Autoexec.cfg:

sys_spec_shading=3
sys_spec_gameeffects=3
sys_spec_objectdetail=3
sys_spec_particles=3
sys_spec_physics=3
sys_spec_postprocessing=3
sys_spec_shadows=2
sys_spec_sound=3
sys_spec_texture=3
sys_spec_water=3
g_skipIntro=0
cl_fov=70
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=70
i_mouse_accel=0
i_mouse_accel_max=100
i_mouse_smooth=0
r_motionblur=0
g_radialBlur=0
cl_zoomToggle=0
r_UseEdgeAA=0
r_TexMaxAnisotropy=16
r_PostMSAA=2
cl_crouchtoggle=1
r_ColorGrading=1
r_SSAO=1
r_VSync=0
r_MotionBlurShutterSpeed=1
e_shadows=1
g_enableInitialLoginScreen=0
r_HDRBloomMul=1
r_HDRBrightLevel=1
r_multithreaded=1
r_ShadersDX11=1
r_ShadersDX9=0
r_driver=dx10

Eww, shadows at 2?

Screw that, you lose a lot of the beauty of the night scenes where literally dozens of dynamic lights are casting shadows.

Dennis

Banned
brain_stew said:
Eww, shadows at 2?

Screw that, you lose a lot of the beauty of the night scenes where literally dozens of dynamic lights are casting shadows.
The shadows are too diffuse on High/3.

I haven't gotten to the night scenes yet so I can't comment on that but I hugely prefer the look of Medium/2 in daylight.

jackdoe

PaddyOCanager said:
I can't agree with this more. I loved the story in the original, for what it was. That game had such a great sense of atmosphere and the story complemented it. The mystery of the island, the KPA's role, your objectives, and the aliens' arrival slowly unfolded to this massive climax.

I remember the first act of the game, seeing mountain looming in the distance (like 3km away). It was slowly breaking apart, sending tremors throughout the island. It was a constant foreboding element, you just knew bad things were going to happen.

In C2 the presentation and gameplay is outstanding. It's just missing the other elements I loved in the original.
I completely agree. I feel like the game definitely needed a final boss to tie everything together. I remember the final level of Crysis, where the techie talked about the mini-nuke and you KNEW that you were about to use that weapon on some epic boss.

Foliorum Viridum said:
What would you suggest to have shadows at then?

Default extreme of course, or "3"

Nebula over at B3D is digging deeper into the game files, which allows you to alter a lot of the commands which are ignored when set through an autoexec.cfg. If you don't like the soft shadowing, this should allow you to remove it while not diminishing the number of shadow casting lights in the scene.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
evil solrac v3.0 said:
definitely no MSAA looks best.

Exactly, except for the jaggies.

Looking at the shots again, the difference between that line of code and not isn't as huge as I'd like. Textures still have a very noticable blur and loss in clarity the moment MSAA is turned on. The writing on the gun, the texture on the post in front, and all the little details.

No idea why. My experience with AA has never produced something like this, and folk like Dennis as well as others dont seem to be getting it. MSAA is reducing my texture clarity, and I DO NOT WANT.

I personally have liked edgeAA = 3 with postMSAA = 1. I'll try turning that edge filter off though, wasn't aware of that command. And I'm pretty sure everyone is getting that slight blur quality when using postMSAA, man. I know I do, but I prefer it to jaggies. PostMSAA is what causes the vaseline effect at least from my experience with messing with the configs. EdgeAA isn't the culprit of the blurriness.

Is there anyway to force MSAA through nvidia drivers yet?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
MAXIMUM BADASS

It's definitely better than the first game. Encounters are more varied, require more tactics/ There are more obvious ways to use environment, stealth is finally viable.

Visuals are outstanding and it runs veeeery good. More polygons, better textures and we'll have Samaritan level of graphics fidelity. And it's fucking DX9. As it runs at 60 fps most of the time I think I'll be able to play it at 30 fps in DX11 on my supersoldier run.

Crytek delivered. I didn't expect it after their demo.

Dennis

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
I personally have liked edgeAA = 3 with postMSAA = 1. I'll try turning that edge filter off though, wasn't aware of that command. And I'm pretty sure everyone is getting that slight blur quality when using postMSAA, man. I know I do, but I prefer it to jaggies. PostMSAA is what causes the vaseline effect at least from my experience with messing with the configs. EdgeAA isn't the culprit of the blurriness.

Is there anyway to force MSAA through nvidia drivers yet?
My latest screens in this thread are with 4xMSAA and they aren't really blurry.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Well just like the other games, crysis 2 really made me want the game to come to a frigging end in the final part game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
brain_stew said:
Textures are a lower resolution sure and there's probably lower geometry counts in some scenes (although the near complete elimination of popin at extreme settings probably put the counts much closer than you'd think) but the lighting and postprocessing is genuinely a complete generation ahead of the original game, yet performance is almost doubled.

There's nothing technically impressive about high resolution textures.

THIS. I'm not looking into textures and count pixels, but lighting is noticeable even if you're in the center of heavy firefight action.

I also like their AA solution, although many people here hate it.

I wonder what DX11 patch will do.

Stitch

Gold Member
subversus said:
require more tactics

uhh i haven't really noticed it. i mean cloak, following them, stealth kill works all the time...

sneaking into a camp in crysis 1 was harder. and more fun.

jackdoe

Stitch said:
uhh i haven't really noticed it. i mean cloak, following them, stealth kill works all the time...

sneaking into a camp in crysis 1 was harder. and more fun.
It is definitely easier against human enemies since shooting with your silenced pistol only drains 10% of energy when cloaked rather than all of your energy. It becomes too easy against human enemies.

EatChildren

DennisK4 said:
AI has issues.

*Throw grenade at soldiers feet*

"Whats this, a stone? I guess I'll just ignore it!"

*ka-boom*

Try sniping entire areas of aliens, none of which respond to any of the shots or gunfire.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DennisK4 said:
AI has issues.

*Throw grenade at soldiers feet*

"Whats this, a stone? I guess I'll just ignore it!"

*ka-boom*
I haven't seen that one. Whenever I see a grenade danger indicator though I know that someone probably just blew themselves up.

So, not sure if its been posted, but it appears they may have fixed the kill cam on 360...you actually see yourself die when you're supposed to now. And the last few games have had excellent connections. Was there already a patch?

jackdoe

EatChildren said:
Try sniping entire areas of aliens, none of which respond to any of the shots or gunfire.
The Sniper Rifle made alien encounters a joke. When I dropped it on the second to last level for the Gauss Rifle, I realized I made a mistake.

Top Bottom