• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

hteng

Banned
Alextended said:
Ok so it was the r_motionblur=0 command that made closeup explosions and the like spread black void for me. Set it to at least 1 people, 0 will fuck with your game.

Unless there's another setting that counters that, idk.

And unless you just wanna show off screens I guess.

lol glad im not the only one thats experiencing it, it was pretty annoying to blind yourself for a good 2 seconds and dying because you fell down some ledge.

This is definitely up there in the "stupid fucking shit" pile. I'd also put down the slow and clumsy weapon swapping, which feels nowhere near as smooth as Crysis. The amount of times I've had the game fail to swap a weapon or switch back and forth between the two is rediculous.

fucking this, it was pretty horrible in the demo and i wished it was not in the SP. Maybe they wanted to encourage you to use the attached sub-weapons since those switch rather fast, but fuck, the reload takes forever, you can't just switch, shoot the grenade, switch back and spray, instead, you had to switch, shoot grenade, wait for it to reload, then switch back, it's very cumbersome.

5569908546_86ef0bde2e_o.jpg

^^^ That's an interesting area and shows how open ended some of the game areas are. You can either jump across the rooftops, or drop down to the street below and engage in fights across the whole area or floor by floor through some of the buildings. My only gripe is this is one place that can see a TON of reinforcements.

bhlaab

rabhw said:
I just ran into the most infuriating bug ever.

Because this game is a buggy piece of shit to begin with regarding multi-GPU setups, I've had to close / reopen the game on a number of occasions to get it to stop flickering.

This time however, when I closed my game and reopened it and chose "Resume game", I've now been taken back 1 checkpoint earlier than the previous time I loaded it. I was confused, so I quit and clicked "Resume game" again...it took me back ANOTHER checkpoint. I had to go out, so I closed my game knowing what would likely happen.

I just got home now, loaded my game up and clicked "Resume game", and yet again, the game loads me back yet another checkpoint. So now I've lost probably 1.5 - 2 hours of progress, what the fuck kind of bug is that?

*smh*

The game makes a save with each checkpoint

Go to Campaign > Load (not replay) and you should see a list of every checkpoint.

Ogs said:
I've read like 5 posts in this thread about how the strength throw was gimped and that you couldn't throw barrels and soldiers really far like the original. So much misinformation about this game. By the way, is there a timing to this? I notice when you hold fire to charge up the throw there's a sound byte that plays and has a high point... does throwing at that high point send them farther?

rabhw

bhlaab said:
The game makes a save with each checkpoint

Go to Campaign > Load (not replay) and you should see a list of every checkpoint.

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I just checked and the "latest" save in that menu loads the same one that the "Resume game" one does. It's like the game systematically deleted or corrupted 4 of my saves...

Heavy said:
I've read like 5 posts in this thread about how the strength throw was gimped and that you couldn't throw barrels and soldiers really far like the original.
Yup there is misinformation alright. Because you are wrong. Because its true you can't.

Edit: At least on non strength throws. The effectiveness of throwing objects in combat is greatly reduced compared to Crysis.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Igor Antunov said:
Crysis 2 Textures Are 1/2 Size of Crysis 1

http://vghq.net/2011/03/28/crysis-2-textures-are-12-size-of-crysis-1-proof/

Doesn't come as a surprise. In many places they used identical texture but downgraded.
That may be, but the textures look good for the most part and the scenes tend to feature more texture variety than the original game at any single point.

Still, it's an acceptable trade-off for consoles, but they should have included the higher resolution textures for PC owners.

While playing Crysis 1, though, you'll notice plenty of lower resolution textures all over the place as well.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The textures thing is madness. At the hardocp forums, there were a few pages where people were acting like textures were the only thing important to a games visuals. That was when that guy said that Half-Life 2 looks better than this lol

hteng

Banned
Heavy said:
I've read like 5 posts in this thread about how the strength throw was gimped and that you couldn't throw barrels and soldiers really far like the original. So much misinformation about this game. By the way, is there a timing to this? I notice when you hold fire to charge up the throw there's a sound byte that plays and has a high point... does throwing at that high point send them farther?

throwing kinda slow, you grab someone, and you have to wait a full 2-3 second before you can actually throw them, it's annoying because you find yourself mashing the F button tryin to throw someone at something, most of the time it doesn't work as you want it. And all throws seems to one hit kill stuff, regardless of how much strength you applied.

objects can be thrown instantly though.

Heavy said:
In the original I could have picked up and thrown at least three different enemies and/or objects in the time and energy it takes to pick up and throw that one guy.

MrTroubleMaker said:
How are you getting that third person / fly cam shot? thanks

When I started playing the Steam version, the first thing I did was bang in some familiar console commands only to find out they didn't work. The second thing I did was say a very loud, "Fuck that," and the third thing was to march over to Usenet and download the beta which has all the developer commands intact. So I've been playing one and using the other to take pretty pictures. Hopefully Crytek will patch the devmode back in before the DX11 patch hits. Doubt it, though.

Blizzard

Banned
TheOctagon said:
When I started playing the Steam version, the first thing I did was bang in some familiar console commands only to find out they didn't work. The second thing I did was say a very loud, "Fuck that," and the third thing was to march over to Usenet and download the beta which has all the developer commands intact. So I've been playing one and using the other to take pretty pictures. Hopefully Crytek will patch the devmode back in before the DX11 patch hits. Doubt it, though.
Was it ever confirmed if that was actually a beta, or just an internal dev build that someone leaked?

Probably an internal build. I was happy to take the moral high ground over it until precisely five minutes after the Steam version unlocked. That sure changed in a hurry.

TheOctagon said:
:( Yeah, I wish the full console commands were in too, I want to mess around with the game, not just play it. I was hoping you were using some secret sauce or something to get the retail game to do that. Thanks, and I hope they add them back in, don't know why they would remove them.

Zeliard

Heavy said:

I think if you try to throw enemies when you have little or no energy left, they only go a short distance. I've definitely had it happen to me a few times.

It can end up looking a little silly because they still die even if they only go a tiny distance. Not sure why. In Crysis 1, if you threw them only a couple feet, they would start to get back up.

Lostconfused said:
Yup there is misinformation alright. Because you are wrong. Because its true you can't.

Edit: At least on non strength throws. The effectiveness of throwing objects in combat is greatly reduced compared to Crysis.
Obviously I was talking about strength throws (that's what it says in my post). Point is you can still do them, regardless of it taking a couple extra seconds. How many times are you going to do them in a firefight anyway...

G_Berry said:
This is how I play Crysis. I don't just cloak through each section like most nubs.
You can play without ever using cloak and still be a nub. Doesn't mean a thing.

Heavy said:
Obviously I was talking about strength throws (that's what it says in my post). Point is you can still do them, regardless of it taking a couple extra seconds. How many times are you going to do them in a firefight anyway...
Only once in Crysis because you can disable two or more enemies with a single throw.

Never in Crysis 2 because it would be stupid and a waste.

hteng

Banned
Heavy said:

the delay is discouraging us from playin how we like it in crysis 1, i want to grab the next person beside me and hurl them into a bunch of guys like a bowling balls and blow them to pieces using my grenade launcher, it makes the game diverse and fun and responsive, also, you can still shoot (just can't reload) while holding someone hostage. in crysis 2, you can't shoot at all.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Big Rig said:
I wish there was a new game plus when I beat the game. I'd like to utilize all those nano catalysts I "extracted".

You automatically keep all of it, though I was able to max out on the first play anyway. The stealth upgrade is insane.

nib95

Banned
Ok, so with no DX11 patch immanent, I think I'll start this game on PC tomorrow. can you guys link me to the advanced settings mods/apps that have been released?

Using a GTX 570 SC here.

hteng said:
the delay is discouraging us from playin how we like it in crysis 1, i want to grab the next person beside me and hurl them into a bunch of guys like a bowling balls and blow them to pieces using my grenade launcher, it makes the game diverse and fun and responsive, also, you can still shoot (just can't reload) while holding someone hostage. in crysis 2, you can't shoot at all.
Yeah, I wasn't saying it's not gimped. Just that you can still strength throw barrels and soldiers and whatever else. Personally, I rarely ever used it to throw dudes in Crysis 1, but I used it for barrels from time to time.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Lostconfused said:
You can play without ever using cloak and still be a nub. Doesn't mean a thing.

Only once in Crysis because you can disable two or more enemies with a single throw.

Never in Crysis 2 because it would be stupid and a waste.
Stupid, maybe. A waste? Never. You can do some really hilarious stuff with that mechanic if you're creative.

Heavy said:

you can't throw them very far at the beginning. overall the throw distance is less than part 1.

nib95 said:
Ok, so with no DX11 patch immanent, I think I'll start this game on PC tomorrow. can you guys link me to the advanced settings mods/apps that have been released?

Using a GTX 570 SC here.
Just use the settings in the OP.

Kind of a noob question, but how do you make gifs? I have used FRAPS to capture gameplay before, do I just import the file into something like Premiere Pro and export it as a .gif or something?

knitoe

Is there a way fix for the collecting catalyst bug? I started a new campaign with previous unlocks / uogrades, but it's still showing 0 catalyst points.

MisterAnderson said:
Kind of a noob question, but how do you make gifs? I have used FRAPS to capture gameplay before, do I just import the file into something like Premiere Pro and export it as a .gif or something?
I spent a good deal of time trying to find the best programs for this. Someone recommended VirtualDub and that worked. Load up a video in it, click File -> Export -> Animated GIF.

I still can't fix the FRAPS gamma recording issue... all the videos I take are much darker than what it looks like because of some gamma thing.

knitoe said:
Is there a way fix for the collecting catalyst bug? I started a new campaign with previous unlocks / uogrades, but it's still showing 0 catalyst points.

Not that I'm aware of. Which really sucks because for like 4 days now I've been holding off the single player waiting for a fix. I'm at a really good part too :/

Zeliard

I quite enjoy the stealth here but it still does that silly thing in stealth some games do where an enemy will cry out in pain because you stabbed him in the neck, and his buddy standing three feet away facing the other direction will be completely oblivious.

Also, the aliens are a lot more fun to fight this time around than the humans. Crytek will hopefully one day make a game where every enemy is fun to fight. :p

My favorite encounters though are generally the ones where they mix them up. I like taking out distracted aliens/CELL soldiers who are busy fighting each other. I'm also generally a sucker in games for enemies fighting each other. I've enjoyed that since Doom.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I quite enjoy the stealth here but it still does that silly thing in stealth some games do where an enemy will cry out in pain because you stabbed him in the neck, and his buddy standing three feet away facing the other direction will be completely oblivious.
Yeah, that is silly, but it's more fun than if everyone always noticed your actions.

Finding the right balance is something few stealth games get right. The enemies responsiveness needs to vary depending on the situation.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'd like a mod where they replace cloak with some other combat oriented power (maybe proper speed), or none at all if that's too hard, and rebalances enemy placement so that stealth is actually possible almost anywhere without cloaking if you are really careful, checking the patrol routes etc. I think that will be more fun and make you feel you work for the silent and clean results while if you're seen/heard you'll most likely have a good fight on your hands that you can't escape with the magic cloak. Although for balance reasons perhaps enemies should forget about you somewhat quicker. But not so quick that they don't check the wall you just hid behind of course. It should be possible to flee until things quiet down again, just hard. Oh, I just remembered, no mod tools for us this time. Fuuuuu Crytek! At least release the level editor...

What always annoyed me in Crysis 1 (not sure if it happens in 2 or not) is when you'd shoot someone in the head from like, behind or something, and they'd cry out in pain. They should be dead instantly (more than likely) yet every head shot would result in a loud yell.

Zeliard

dark10x said:
Yeah, that is silly, but it's more fun than if everyone always noticed your actions.

Finding the right balance is something few stealth games get right. The enemies responsiveness needs to vary depending on the situation.

I think the best thing to do is to always have kills/knockouts in stealth be silent. After all, if you're trying to be as inconspicuous as possible, you ideally want to limit the amount of screaming/yelling the guy you're dispatching does.

The game also already has a noise mechanic programmed in, where enemies will notice you if you're too loud in various ways (including footsteps) and in their vicinity. The neck-breaking stealth kill makes a little more sense.

Heavy said:
I spent a good deal of time trying to find the best programs for this. Someone recommended VirtualDub and that worked. Load up a video in it, click File -> Export -> Animated GIF.

I still can't fix the FRAPS gamma recording issue... all the videos I take are much darker than what it looks like because of some gamma thing.

When I export the video it is a .gif file that won't let me open it. Says that it appears to be damaged, corrupted, or is too large. The way I tried to make it smaller was applying the "resize" filter in VirtualDub. Is there a better way?

strata8

MisterAnderson said:
When I export the video it is a .gif file that won't let me open it. Says that it appears to be damaged, corrupted, or is too large. The way I tried to make it smaller was applying the "resize" filter in VirtualDub. Is there a better way?
I use VirtualDub to resize and export to a raw AVI, then I open up that AVI with Animation Shop 3 to compress/optimise/dither it to a GIF file.

Zeliard said:
Or you'll stealth kill an enemy with nobody nearby, and an enemy across the map will somehow figure out that you killed him.

I'm having a visual issue with the 360 version of C2 that's driving me crazy. I'm seeing what appears to be wavy lines or noise in the background, as if there's some interference going on somewhere. I've checked my TV connections, switched TVs, switched HDMI cables, etc., yet the problem remains. No other games that I play on the system exhibit this problem. It's really bugging me, as it detracts from the graphical quality, and it's really noticeable on the darker levels, of which there's several towards the end of the game. Now I can't unsee it; has anyone experienced this?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Or you'll stealth kill an enemy with nobody nearby, and an enemy across the map will somehow figure out that you killed him.
Well enemies communicate via radio, if someone dies others will ask to report etc. Or just realise he's dead right away. I think it's just a scripted response to a death to make stealth harder. It just happens whenever you kill someone but they hide it under the guise of supposed missed reports.

Nekrono

NotTarts said:

Actually you're right, they probably didn't have any, at least for the PC
port.

Earlier today I picked up a SCAR and it said on the ammo count 0/-145 lol, apparently I was 145 bullets negative somehow. WTF Crytek!?

Top Bottom