• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

MRORANGE said:
anyone else feel that certain elements of the game were just completely unfinished or just skipped over due to a rushed schedule?

example pic: ladder - I thought I could climb this and use this to get to the top like in Crysis 1 :|

http://i.imgur.com/Iod39.jpg[IMG]

[URL="asdasdsa"][/URL][/QUOTE]
See, that's the kind of stuff I was looking forward to in this game. Actual exploration of the damn city... at least confined to neighborhoods or something. The levels in Crysis 1 were easily the size of most Manhattan neighborhoods, if not larger. If the game remained PC exclusive, I'd think it can be argued that a game like that would've been possible.

Instead, we got glorified corridor shooting with brief moments that have gameplay options.

Max

I am not Max
Alextended said:
Ok so it was the r_motionblur=0 command that made closeup explosions and the like spread black void for me. Set it to at least 1 people, 0 will fuck with your game.

Unless there's another setting that counters that, idk.

And unless you just wanna show off screens I guess.
The blur is the main thing I wanted to disable, but this problem ruins the game :(

Revolutionary said:
See, that's the kind of stuff I was looking forward to in this game. Actual exploration of the damn city... at least confined to neighborhoods or something. The levels in Crysis 1 were easily the size of most Manhattan neighborhoods, if not larger. If the game remained PC exclusive, I'd think it can be argued that a game like that would've been possible.

Instead, we got glorified corridor shooting with brief moments that have gameplay options.
Me too. I was expecting to jump from rooftop-to-rooftop with strength mode and sniper rifle in hand, then go stealthily through the streets on my next playthrough. :(

jackdoe

Lostconfused said:
nano recharge and advanced cloak do kind of make the whole game trivial.
The silenced pistol and the fact that all human enemies can be killed by a headshot make the first third of the game easy as hell, regardless of difficulty.

Dennis

Banned
*pick up exploding barrel with plan to throw among soliders and then shoot*

*unseen soldier shoots at you from 3000 miles away, hits barrel*

*ka-boom*

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
NIN90 said:
I like the random grenade throws some of soldiers perform.
They just....throw them mostly at their own feet.
This is the only game where a grenade danger indicator is a good sign. It means some CELL guy and a bunch of his buddies are about to blow up.

jackdoe said:
The silenced pistol and the fact that all human enemies can be killed by a headshot make the first third of the game easy as hell, regardless of difficulty.
Not as easy as just walking past all of them.

RoboPlato said:
This is the only game where a grenade danger indicator is a good sign. It means some CELL guy and a bunch of his buddies are about to blow up.
lol. so true.

And I have to agree that stealth makes the game far easier than it could be, and removes some (or all, depending) of the tension. For my next playthrough I'm going to focus on tuning for Armor + Aerial + Melee, basically a Crackdown build. Hopefully that's viable :)

I gotta say, one of the biggest WTF decisions/changes from Crysis 1 was to take away a dedicated grenade throw button. Especially since they went to the effort to make 2 bindings for "selecting" a grenade. 'G' and tapping '1' twice. Who in their right mind thinks that it's a change for the better to go from being able to just throw a grenade with a hotkey, to taking us back 10 years to have to select the grenade with a hotkey and then throw it? Especially given that this is a sequel to a game that used the former method.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MisterAnderson said:
I gotta say, one of the biggest WTF decisions/changes from Crysis 1 was to take away a dedicated grenade throw button. Especially since they went to the effort to make 2 bindings for "selecting" a grenade. 'G' and tapping '1' twice. Who in their right mind thinks that it's a change for the better to go from being able to just throw a grenade with a hotkey, to taking us back 10 years to have to select the grenade with a hotkey and then throw it? Especially given that this is a sequel to a game that used the former method.

This is definitely up there in the "stupid fucking shit" pile. I'd also put down the slow and clumsy weapon swapping, which feels nowhere near as smooth as Crysis. The amount of times I've had the game fail to swap a weapon or switch back and forth between the two is rediculous.

is someone having a weird graphical glitch where for instance if you blow up a grenade the screen goes totally black and then the image stays that way for a second or two? it's kinda annoying :)

jackdoe

MisterAnderson said:
They ran out of buttons on the controller for a dedicated grenade throw. And I am being completely serious with this answer.

bee

i've tried to like the game in single player i really have but i can't bring myself to play it any further, it just feels like a chore and this is coming from someone who can't even remember how many times i finished the 1st one and warhead and i even played most of the community maps

most disappointing game i've played in years :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yo brain_stew, techn wizard guy, any idea why I'm still seeing texture clarity reduction when using MSAA, even with that extra line you suggested?

I have no idea what could be causing it.

JambiBum

Papercuts said:
Is it just me or does the music for the MP lobby randomly get LOUD AS FUCK?
Definitely isn't just you. It is a hell of a lot worse using my A40s. Had to turn down the music volume to 30 in order just to hear my friends talk. Friends have the same issue with it too. It's like the mixing wasn't done correctly.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
kazuma_pt said:
is someone having a weird graphical glitch where for instance if you blow up a grenade the screen goes totally black and then the image stays that way for a second or two? it's kinda annoying :)
Here you go.
Alextended said:
Ok so it was the r_motionblur=0 command that made closeup explosions and the like spread black void for me. Set it to at least 1 people, 0 will fuck with your game.

Unless there's another setting that counters that, idk.

And unless you just wanna show off screens I guess.
Unless you haven't used such commands and therefor have a different issue.

I should also add that r_motionblur=1 looks awful and wrong if most of the rest of your settings are "extreme" so you might just wanna remove that line altogether.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The netcode/Lamespy of Crysis 2 is awful. I have seen the same problem on both PC and console of not killing someone after unloading a whole clip into their back only to have them turn around and kill me. So annoying.

Ogs said:
1 of the load screens just told me i can use strength mode to steady my aim while aiming down the sights .....

Is this a mistake or is there a way ?
There is another one that I missed for a long time too. Tap "punch" to toggle the zoom level on the sniper rifle.

EatChildren said:
Yo brain_stew, techn wizard guy, any idea why I'm still seeing texture clarity reduction when using MSAA, even with that extra line you suggested?

I have no idea what could be causing it.
PostMSAA needs to be off completely, that r_FSAA line Dennis is throwing around is an inactive cvar and does exactly shit all.

use edgaa 3 and brute force morphological AA through radeonPRO

Crysis 2 Textures Are 1/2 Size of Crysis 1
Basically, the majority of all textures in Crysis 2 are half the resolution quality of those in Crysis 1. Crytek downgraded the textures significantly in order to be on consoles.

I’ve been modding Crysis 2 by unpacking and decrypting the files and did a little comparison. I took the same textures from Crysis 1 and put them into Crysis 2 to see if there was actually a difference in quality.

The–Architect continued:

If you dont believe me, you can mod the game yourself.

PS: The sequel not only has 1/2 the resolution of texture size from the first, but it also borrows many identical textures from the original. This explains why the comparison was so easy to do. All I had to do was look for the same file names in the Crysis 2 and Crysis 1 texture/detail directories, and then copy the original into the squeal.

What a disappointment. Looks like there is a lot of work to do to bring this game up to the originals standards.
http://vghq.net/2011/03/28/crysis-2-textures-are-12-size-of-crysis-1-proof/

Doesn't come as a surprise. In many places they used identical texture but downgraded.

Crysis 2:
Crysis-2-Texture.jpg

Crysis 1:
Crysis-2-Texture-2.jpg

ceski

Neo Member
kazuma_pt said:

Don't touch r_MotionBlur.

Use r_MotionBlurShutterSpeed=0 if you want to disable motion blur when looking around without breaking motion blur with sliding, exploding grenades, etc.

Did kind of notice the texture thing in 1 part, the bit just after the bridge has collapsed, the wet mud texture on the floor i think was straight out of Crysis Warhead (commonly used in screenshots) and looked considerably low-res compared.

Alextended said:
Here you go.Unless you haven't used such commands and therefor have a different issue.

I should also add that r_motionblur=1 looks awful and wrong if most of the rest of your settings are "extreme" so you might just wanna remove that line altogether.

thanks a lot man, that really helped :)

Wow some of those features I didn't even know were there (eg. zoom.)

But MP seems to have an issue with saving my progress, I'm playing ranked games and sometimes it just won't save my progress, if I get disconnected I can kinda understand but when I choose to leave the game it should be saving my progress.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MP has really clicked for me today. I'm level 10 now on PS3 and I'm having a much better time than I expected. It feels weird at first but once I got into it
and realized that the sensitivity is different, not carried over from single player, and fixed it
it got much better. If anyone wants to add me on PSN: RoboPlato

EDIT:^ Those .gifs are NICE

Speaking of sensivity, I'm still trumping kb/m players on MP. Sensivity = 20 did the trick for me. at default (30) I couldn't even play. Of course, it also means this game is a lot more than just shooting accurately. Using the suit to your advantage is really important. Went 15-0 on Wall Street.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
-bakalhau- said:
Speaking of sensivity, I'm still trumping kb/m players on MP. Sensivity = 20 did the trick for me. at default (30) I couldn't even play. Of course, it also means this game is a lot more than just shooting accurately. Using the suit to your advantage is really important. Went 15-0 on Wall Street.
I had to crank it to 85 in MP and 100 in SP to be able to play. Playing with Move in KZ3 has ruined usual dual-analogue sensitivity settings for me. It was a sudden change too. I never raised sensitivity before in anything and if I did things were unplayable.

rabhw

I just ran into the most infuriating bug ever.

Because this game is a buggy piece of shit to begin with regarding multi-GPU setups, I've had to close / reopen the game on a number of occasions to get it to stop flickering.

This time however, when I closed my game and reopened it and chose "Resume game", I've now been taken back 1 checkpoint earlier than the previous time I loaded it. I was confused, so I quit and clicked "Resume game" again...it took me back ANOTHER checkpoint. I had to go out, so I closed my game knowing what would likely happen.

I just got home now, loaded my game up and clicked "Resume game", and yet again, the game loads me back yet another checkpoint. So now I've lost probably 1.5 - 2 hours of progress, what the fuck kind of bug is that?

*smh*

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
-bakalhau- said:
Hardcore professional twitch FPS players will buy massive mousepads and set the sensitivity as low as possible.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
SapientWolf said:
Hardcore professional twitch FPS players will buy massive mousepads and set the sensitivity as low as possible.
What? All the "pro" players I've seen (I'm so not one of them) have sensitivity so high you barely see any movement while they do their 360 spins headshotting everyone.

Btw how do you know you play against kb/m players anyway? Lots of people use a controller nowadays. And if you met people like me, well, I'm hardly an example of the scheme's play potential, lol. I still like it more than dual analog though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Alextended said:
What? All the "pro" players I've seen (I'm so not one of them) have sensitivity so high you barely see any movement while they do their 360 spins headshotting everyone.

Btw how do you know you play against kb/m players anyway? Lots of people use a controller nowadays. And if you met people like me, well, I'm hardly an example of the scheme's play potential, lol. I still like it more than dual analog though.
By twitch I meant the Quake 3 pros. I didn't know you were rocking dual analog but those guys would drop the sensitivity because they had to be able to hit extremely small and fast moving targets. This was before iron sights and red dot scopes.

I game on a 12 x 10 chunk of teflon coated metal so I can drop the sens a bit and still do fast spins. It helps.

Top Bottom