• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I got that bug once, had to change weapon type even though it was my weapon of choice until then, lol. There was no way to get it back to normal at the time.

With all this config talk, I have to say that I still prefer the vanilla High setting - nothing has come close to providing the same balance of detail and performance. It's the only one that can make it feel like a 60fps game to me. If I knew the exact config that this setting used, maybe I could go from there.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
High? The lowest? Don't you find the pop in of objects jarring? I wish I could have them not show at all and I wouldn't mind having that setting, lol... I find it jarring on the middle setting too... Why don't they think to make lower settings like that instead? Just not render random clutter objects at all, and for bigger objects use the more distant lod even up close instead of make them switch to high detail right in your face... I wish someone found commands for such things...

I don't really notice the pop-in that much. The only time it was really obvious was when I could see two Cell troops in the distance, started shooting at them and nothing happened, only to realise they were behind a barrier which hadn't loaded yet. To me, if it means maintaining a high framerate and still looking pretty damn fantastic, i'll bear with it. I can't even see that big of a difference between High and Extreme anyway.

dark10x said:
It's just such a shame as the simple tale of the original was fairly well told and engaging.

The cutscene direction in Crysis 2 is also pretty outstanding. I love the first person cinematic sequences they crafted. It's just a shame they lead nowhere.

So yeah, finished it this morning and holy shit, I had to go to wiki to reread what i just played through!
I think the actual story itself is pretty good, especially towards the end. It's delivery though is just so completely off! They hold too much from your POV that alot of the time (at least for me) the sense of purpose/struggle was completely lost during the encounters. I was merely blowing PMCs one moment and squiddies the next...I'm pretty disappointed in that regard and am actually considering reading Crysis Legion on my iPOD just to, I dunno, have a bit more cohesion/closure. POV cinematic were amazing though...

Visually it's up there with Killzone for me as THE best looking game, fucking period.

Oh I did have a huge grin on my face though when
Alcatraz says "They call me Prophet"
(^___^)

Well, after thinking that the campaign had become just a bit too bogged down in its own mechanics/sandbox ideology, the game has done a complete 180 and become a fucking joy to play.

Specifically,
the segment by nightfall wherein you have to traverse a bridge inundated with Ceph and the military in order to re-trigger a set of explosives.
That was one of the most epic sections that I think I've played in any FPS game. Ever. The music, the gun play, the flow of the mechanics... It all just sang and at the end of it, I realised that for the first time in a VERY long time, I was engrossed.

Crytek have done an amazing job with weapon feedback and sound. There's nothing like power-sliding towards a Jelly and shotgunning him off of his feet.

I'm seriously impressed. And boy, is it lengthy. Kudos, Crytek, for delivering what is easily shaping up to be the best FPS campaign in a long time.

woober

RoboPlato said:
Dennis, your screens are amazing. Only Battlefield 3 on PC is going to give this a run for it's money visually this year. Please tell me you're just replaying stuff for screens and that's not actually how far you are into the game. You've got like 10+ hours left if that's the case.

This is what I'm thinking. If Battlefield 3 is DX10 and DX11 only, I can't imagine the performance they will get out of current video cards. And every time I see a building collapse in Crysis 2... I try to imagine that happening dynamically in BF3. O.O

jett

D-Member
I'm gonna have to try a run without using stealth, you're crazy overpowered in this game even in Post-Human. If I was one of those CELL soldiers I'd probably run for my life. :p

Grisby

Well, I suck at the MP. That or I just had a really rough night. I mean its cool when I can pull in 15 kills or so but damn at the guys getting 28.

Also, xp is earned very slowly I feel compared to other games like AssBro or Reach. Which were the last two games I played MP hardcore.

Peterthumpa

Just reached the first stage where the night sets in
(after the stage which ends with Alcatraz mounted on a mini gun on a Humvee)

Am I too far from the end? I don't want it to end =(

G_Berry

Banned
Grisby said:
Well, I suck at the MP. That or I just had a really rough night. I mean its cool when I can pull in 15 kills or so but damn at the guys getting 28.

Also, xp is earned very slowly I feel compared to other games like AssBro or Reach. Which were the last two games I played MP hardcore.

It's even worse when you loose the unlocks you have gained :(

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
jett said:
I'm gonna have to try a run without using stealth, you're crazy overpowered in this game even in Post-Human. If I was one of those CELL soldiers I'd probably run for my life. :p

I was thinking "Why is anyone still even fighting me" towards the end lol

woober said:
This is what I'm thinking. If Battlefield 3 is DX10 and DX11 only, I can't imagine the performance they will get out of current video cards. And every time I see a building collapse in Crysis 2... I try to imagine that happening dynamically in BF3. O.O

I think its more directly connected to multi-core processors of today.

Zeliard

Is there any general agreement that the game starts off slow for the first few chapters? I don't think it really starts becoming that engaging till the aliens start showing up more, which is around when nighttime first drops.

I am enjoying it more than I thought I would be, though. The aliens are cool. They've got the mobility of those things at the end of Uncharted 2, but without them being awful bullet sponges that you were always much better off killing with their own weapon. And I love that energy zapper thing they do when they're on the hunt. Makes for more interesting energy management and positioning.

I also find that my love of freedom of movement is still satiated despite the far greater amount of corridors, because there's generally much more vertical space. There's a lot less space to move around on the ground but it's offset to an extent by the amount of vertical movement at your use due to the buildings. A mix of the two would be ideal for Maximum Freedom and hopefully Crytek heads in that direction for Crysis 3.

I've been doing more platforming than I expected to and it's fun and responsive - the ledge grabbing and long jumping mechanics were pretty slick additions. The slide as well. When I'm not stealthing around I can practically play this game like it's Bulletstorm.

Zeliard said:
Is there any general agreement that the game starts off slow for the first few chapters? I don't think it really starts becoming that engaging till the aliens start showing up more, which is around when nighttime first drops.

I am enjoying it more than I thought I would be, though. The aliens are cool. They've got the mobility of those Bigfoot things at the end of Uncharted 2, but without them being awful bullet sponges that you were always much better off killing with their own weapon. And I love that energy zapper thing they do when they're on the hunt. Makes for more interesting energy management and positioning.

I also find that my love of freedom of movement is still satiated despite the far greater amount of corridors, because there's generally much more vertical space. There's a lot less space to move around on the ground but it's offset to an extent by the amount of vertical movement at your use due to the buildings. A mix of the two would be ideal for Maximum Freedom and hopefully Crytek heads in that direction for Crysis 3.

I've been doing more platforming than I expected to and it's fun and responsive - the ledge grabbing and long jumping mechanics were pretty slick additions. The slide as well. When I'm not stealthing around I can practically play this game like it's Bulletstorm.

Hugely agree with this. It definitely picks up with the introduction of nighttime encounters, both visually and in terms of gameplay. I left the campaign for a couple of days, came back to it and everything just clicked; this was a little bit before night dropped, but it was still insanely fun and it hasn't really let up yet.

kamspy

welp. I still like vanilla Extreme. Get a good 30-45 fps. The TAA is a win in my book. But my book can't afford 16xMSAA at 1920x1080, so I'll take the trade offs.

jackdoe

Tom Penny said:
The SP was a solid 8-8.5 for me. Started too slow and too many A.I. glitches and catalyst glitches to go any higher than that.
I concur. Also, the lack of an explosive finale hurt it as well.

Zeliard said:

I am enjoying it more than I thought I would be, though. The aliens are cool. They've got the mobility of those things at the end of Uncharted 2, but without them being awful bullet sponges that you were always much better off killing with their own weapon. And I love that energy zapper thing they do when they're on the hunt. Makes for more interesting energy management and positioning.

Yeah, the first few were really slow. For me it started getting awesome at Chapter 4 Lab Rat. You start off looking at this huge area with soldiers on watch all over... was so fun to stealthily take them all out without being detected. And then the encounter with Gould was great. And then Wall Street right after was a lot of fun to traverse around, then it's been non-stop god-tier since.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Let's settle this silly throwing dudes distance debate once and for all.

24jos.gif

crysis-strength-toss-o.gif

It's damn near identical.

MisterAnderson said:
What always annoyed me in Crysis 1 (not sure if it happens in 2 or not) is when you'd shoot someone in the head from like, behind or something, and they'd cry out in pain. They should be dead instantly (more than likely) yet every head shot would result in a loud yell.
Did you patch your game?

*Helmets will never deflect shots when the player hits them while using weapon sights.

Sinatar said:

http://www.abload.de/img/24jos.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/2238295/crysis-strength-toss-o.gif[IMG]

It's damn near identical.[/QUOTE]
Only difference is look at the energy amounts used in both.

scitek

I need to review this but I can't stop playing it long enough to get any work done lol

Going through with all of my suit powers upgraded is like a whole other experience.

aeolist

Banned
Sinatar said:

[IM G]http://www.abload.de/img/24jos.gif[/IMG]

[IM G]http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/2238295/crysis-strength-toss-o.gif[/IMG]

It's damn near identical.
For me the problem in this game is the lag. There's a lag returning to hip fire from ADS, lag before you can strength jump, lag switching weapons, lag before you can throw someone, lag before you can throw a grenade (thanks to whatever idiot decided an instant grenade throw button was unnecessary).

It's just not as smooth as Crysis 1 gameplay. And while switching to armor/stealth is streamlined I never really has a problem with the radial menu in the first game and overall the tradeoff is not worth it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
aeolist said:
It's just not as smooth as Crysis 1 gameplay. And while switching to armor/stealth is streamlined I never really has a problem with the radial menu in the first game and overall the tradeoff is not worth it.

There is no doubt about that, I was just addressing the throw specifically.

The lack of a dedicated speed mode is a real killer for me, no faster run, no faster reloads and no faster weapon prep for the big guns. Having strength more automated doesn't bother me too much as the big things are covered elsewhere. Recoil reduction happens in armor mode now and melee attacks, throws and jumps are of course automated. You do lose the super long range grenade tosses though.

jintek

Banned
Just finished this on PC again, highest possible settings, highest difficulty. Def better than my 360 experience but I must say I expected a lot more from the campaign. My 480 finally got some real use for once, although I still think Metro has prettier indoor evironments...

I also really don't like the fact they've auto'd all the suit features except for armor/cloak...it's lame. Speed being auto'd is a deal breaker, and I'd much rather mix and match/stack the features. I was also hoping for substantial upgrades to the suit itself that really change the strategical nature... Maybe Crysis 3.

maomaoIYP

Papercuts said:
Is it just me or does the music for the MP lobby randomly get LOUD AS FUCK?

It seems to be a due to 2 copies of the same music track being played at the same time, because I've gotten it to glitch and they played out of sync, and also have gotten 2 different music tracks playing at the same time.

scitek

Exuro said:
I'm assuming its the .gif quality that making the throwing ragdoll effects look so terrible in Crysis 2?

No, not really. They're pretty shit to begin with. If you charge it long enough, the throw will go straight up first, then forward. That's why he hit the fucking bridge above before careening into the water.

scitek said:
No, not really. They're pretty shit to begin with. If you charge it long enough, the throw will go straight up first, then forward. That's why he hit the fucking bridge above before careening into the water.
At least it looks hilarious!

zlatko

Banned
scitek said:
These can probably be used as responses to some stupid fucking comment or something at some point in the future.

dumbfuck2mbz.gif

gettindown085k.gif

thrownk6z.gif

The second one is Rolling on the Floor Laughing.

The third is STFU and GTFO!

Add those captions for gold. :)

G_Berry

Banned
scitek said:
These can probably be used as responses to some stupid fucking comment or something at some point in the future.

dumbfuck2mbz.gif

gettindown085k.gif

thrownk6z.gif

LOL! I was listening to Gimmie Shelter by the Stones while looking at the gifs.

Epic!

Exuro

scitek said:
I can "kind of" understand him hitting the bridge with that reaction but the gif sinatar shows has the guy increase dramatically in rotational speed halfway through. Looks ridiculous. Both of them look pretty bad though. Was hoping it was the .gifs cutting out frames or something.

On second(more like 20th) inspection it looks like the enemy is also hitting something above him. Either way, looks bad man.

NotTarts said:
Someone please tell me why you can still find Far Cry data files in the Crysis 2 .pak files.

I think they still base the ultra low spec options on CryEngine 1. I always remember Crysis on low/medium looking a lot like Far Cry.

NotTarts said:
Want to know why there are so many hackers in Crysis 2? Crytek forgot to implement any form of anti-cheat at all :p

http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=67744

No hash checks, nothing. Modify any data file and it will be accepted by the server without question.
That's just horrible. How the hell did they not notice this? I feel like I've asked that question one too many times in this thread. If this isn't fixed, the entire MP mode is fucked. I won't even play it. Fuck this shit.

MP is Crytek UK (Free Radical), right? I thought they were supposed to have a quality multi-player pedigree. Should've known better than to trust the Haze guys. Even so, how did no one at Crytek Germany or whatever it's called not notice this?

SapientWolf said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/SapientWolf/crysisandfarcry.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

Apart from some better lighting in Crysis, I don't think i'm too far off.

Also wtf, Crytek - you done goofed the entirety of the PC version.

Top Bottom