• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Just beat the game in one sitting. What a ride, It took me about 9 1/2 hours. It was my first play-through, I played on Post Human Warrior difficulty.

Spoiler-Free Impressions:

Stealthed my way through about 40% of the game, after the first level i ignored the visor for tactical pathfinding 95% of the time since I didn't like having my hand held. Probably spent 1/2 of the game killing with the M60 once I found it. Only really got stuck once, spent about 1.5 hours on a certain encounter, had trouble finding the ammo dumps and getting lucky during that fight...

Graphically it was impressive, the lighting especially. Well optimized. And a great story imo. Nice and action packed. It didn't end when it started to get good, and it kept on going and throwing more action at you without tiring you out, It's a shame Crytek dropped the ball with just about every other aspect of this game's PC version.

Tom Penny

Cuban Legend said:
Just beat the game in one sitting. What a ride, It took me about 9 1/2 hours. It was my first play-through, I played on Post Human Warrior difficulty.

Spoiler-Free Impressions:

Stealthed my way through about 40% of the game, after the first level i ignored the visor for tactical pathfinding 95% of the time since I didn't like having my hand held. Probably spent 1/2 of the game killing with the M60 once I found it. Only really got stuck once, spent about 1.5 hours on a certain encounter, had trouble finding the ammo dumps and getting lucky during that fight...

Graphically it was impressive, the lighting especially. Well optimized. And a great story imo. Nice and action packed. It didn't end when it started to get good, and it kept on going and throwing more action at you without tiring you out, It's a shame Crytek dropped the ball with just about every other aspect of this game's PC version.

What the heck is tactical path finding? Do you press a button when the visor is up or something?

derFeef

DenogginizerOS said:
How do you play on post-human warrior on the first playthrough on PC? It is locked for me.
It is not locked, but you can not raise the difficulty during the campaign. You have to restart the mission and then choose post-human.

Are the CELL soldiers retarded or what? Sometimes they stand there (sometimes they freeze into this weird pose) while their buddies get shot right next to them and I'm playing on the hardest difficulty.

Crysis 2 is one of those games where I don't mind dying because the action is so damn fun. I'm at the
Hargreaves building
, can anyone tell me how far through the game I am?

hteng

Banned
MrCompletely said:
Crysis 2 is one of those games where I don't mind dying because the action is so damn fun. I'm at the
Hargreaves building
, can anyone tell me how far through the game I am?

middle

IronRinn

Finished it last night and really enjoyed the hell out of it. Took a chance as I didn't particularly care for Crysis and Crysis: Warhead, both of which I spent most of my time kind of lost and both of which remain in my memory as large swaths of tree textures. The story suffers from being half-told but from a game-play perspective it's up there as one of my favorite FPS. The way your character moves, the streamlined abilities, and a nice, long campaign made it a blast to play. Might jack up the difficulty all the way and go through it again.

The Extractor said:
Are the CELL soldiers retarded or what? Sometimes they stand there (sometimes they freeze into this weird pose) while their buddies get shot right next to them and I'm playing on the hardest difficulty.

Yea the AI is really shitty in the game with lot of obvious random bugs. Soldiers just freeze up randomly, charge past you, jump right into your line of sight, take cover on the wrong side of objects, fall off ledges, run in circles. Very buggy all around.

McLovin

I think that overall C2 is a better game then the first one. TBH I thought C1's single player wasn't as good and I tried 2 matches online and didn't like it at all. Single player in C2 is awesome and very long compared to other shooters, and the MP is a blast when your not lagging. I think the visuals did take a hit and I played the original Crysis on a 8800 gt.

BattleMonkey said:
Yea the AI is really shitty in the game with lot of obvious random bugs. Soldiers just freeze up randomly, charge past you, jump right into your line of sight, take cover on the wrong side of objects, fall off ledges, run in circles. Very buggy all around.

AI wasn't amazing in the first game either :/ But I only had like 4-5 instances the whole game where I noticed AI doing something strange.

McLovin said:
AI wasn't amazing in the first game either :/ But I only had like 4-5 instances the whole game where I noticed AI doing something strange.

AI on higher difficulities in C1 are rocket scientists compared to C2 at any difficulty. The AI even when it isn't doing retarded things, is just really shitty in C2. It's the one thing that really bugs me about the game which I have been enjoying, but the AI is really piss poor and some of the worst in a long time for such a quality game. The AI was also harder to get around in general in C1, C2 AI is apparently blind

3u73t.gif

I would love to talk about multiplayer, but I still cannot even log in so have a screenshot instead. I actually like Crytek's AA without the edge filter:

crysis22011-03-2914-19e8rk.jpg

pakkit

Banned
I think Free Radical's input helped the SP, some of the multiplayer maps are my favorite single player moments too.

Too bad they completely forgot about making sure the MP works well.

McLovin said:
"Grenade out!"

*see soldier toss grenade at his feet, then blow up*

Dennis

Banned
Its almost a shame to have these great graphics in a fast paced and frantic shooter game.

Nothing would be more epic than a new urban Shadworun RPG using CryEngine 3.

DennisK4 said:
Its almost a shame to have these great graphics in a fast paced and frantic shooter game.

Nothing would be more epic than a new urban Shadworun RPG using CryEngine 3.
I want their "Kingdom"-stuff to be a vast open-world RPG. If it is, bricks will be shat.

Dennis

Banned
CryptiK said:
Just finished the game then. I spoke to soon on how shitty the SP will be
I was also very worried about the SP after playing the MP demo but my fears turned out to be unfounded.

Edit: I just saw you edit. Of course this is a Crysis game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
RPS turning into Destructoid PC, yay. Trollol your audience for hits, it's good for you!

How about writing a rational article discussing that side of the game/community/pc gaming itself instead of a shallow piece mocking its few perhaps extreme examples? Or just, not writing anything? People who feel their platform that the game is available on isn't used as well as it could be should be able to express that without such condescending responses. It's not like someone raged at Notch or some other indie for not having better visuals and technology. I mean, Battlefield 3 will be multiplatform also but they are taking advantage of the PC in ways like having larger maps with many more people in (rather than sticking a couple extra people in the same maps tuned for smaller numbers). Debated design decisions aside, they're at least trying something there. Crytek didn't. And I liked the game if you read previous comments, so don't go there.
derFeef said:
Uhm, no. They made it pretty obvious and over the top.
No what? Yes, it's over the top, that's the point, it's obviously nonsense, as if that's all the people that argue against Crysis 2 have to say. They wanted to address the issues raised by many PC gamers but they do it in a stupid way choosing to mock the most sensational over the top statements in this manner instead of rationally look at the situation and address it properly or instead of just not talking about it at all. That's very Jim Sterling/Destructoid like, sadly.

big_z

finished the game tonight on pc. cant believe how good it looks maxed out and how well it ran considering my pc is 3 years old. the in game stuff looks better than most developers CG cutscenes. really amazing work. crytek really showed how much untapped potential developers dont use on pc but at the same time it makes me a bit sad that they didnt have a setting that pushed current cards.

overall i thought the game was very good. i was worried about the setting but they did a great job at making it fun and the stuff that goes down is incredible. despite crysis 2 being better in many ways i think the first game was more fun. i like hunting koreans in the jungle and there was a sense of discovery thats missing in this one.

my main complaints for this game are:
-ai is broken a lot of the time. the first game wasnt this bad so i dont understand what went wrong
-story is shit and you constantly feel like your out of the loop.
-enemy variety sucks. what happened to the aliens from the first game?
-suit perks are badly balanced. there needed to be an enemy to counter act the cloaking because late into the game you can run and jump your way past everything.
-the last level while amazing in design is horrible to play. it's designed for large fights but i killed less than 10 aliens thanks to the cloaking and broken ai. no last boss was a disappointment as well.
-destructibility is far reduced compared to the last game. probably due to console limitations but i wish more shit would break.
-the way levels are split by loading. i wish the game was continuous but im guessing a console restriction.

RoboPlato said:
That looks really nice. Does disabling the Edge Filter also disable the ghosting from TAA?

I'm not sure if that's what controls it, but I just booted up the game to check and I don't have any ghosting.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DeadRockstar said:
I'm not sure if that's what controls it, but I just booted up the game to check and I don't have any ghosting.
The ghosting is really annoying in the PS3 version but not as bad as Reach, thankfully. This is going to be one of the first games I buy on PC once I get a gaming rig and I want to play it through without doing too many tweaks to keep the developers intent but I definitely don't want that ghosting.

JoeBoy101

Sn4ke_911 said:

Official forums are never something to go by with regards to fan outrage, but....

And yesterday was Tiago Sousa, Crytek Principal R & D Graphics Programmer, announced via Twitter that is working on a DirectX 11 patch. Funny: just a few hours of entry to the short message service has been deleted. Whether this means that Crytek the DirectX 11 mode may want to offer as paid DLC or not even released? Unclear.

Their speculation aside, the deletion of that twitter message fills me with foreboding.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BotoxAgent said:
I need help.

How do you flank that giant alien mech thingy to get to its weak spot? He keeps rotating and I can't get a clear shot.
Cloak and keep some distance so that it's EMP wave won't take out your energy.

BotoxAgent said:
I need help.

How do you flank that giant alien mech thingy to get to its weak spot? He keeps rotating and I can't get a clear shot.
cloak away from it, so that it can't do the emp thing and fire at the big red ball on its back.

The Big Rig said:
I am totally outraged at those two incredibly similar pixelated images.

Yea, what is that comparison supposed to show? One is dark, one is light, they are equally pixelated. The first one has less contrast between pixels because its so dark.

JoeBoy101 said:
Their speculation aside, the deletion of that twitter message fills me with foreboding.
The only thing that message confirmed is that they are just now starting to tool around with Dx11 implementation, so whatever happens it's a long ways off.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MickeyKnox said:
The only thing that message confirmed is that they are just now starting to tool around with Dx11 implementation, so whatever happens it's a long ways off.
I'm thinking they removed it since people started to speculate that the DX11 patch was coming out the next day and they don't want to comment on it this early.

Ogs said:
Heh...I do that all the time. It just makes sense, lol. Works on some Cephs too.

Re-posting this from my earlier comment:

"I'm having a visual issue with the 360 version of C2 that's driving me crazy. I'm seeing what appears to be wavy lines or noise in the background, as if there's some interference going on somewhere. I've checked my TV connections, switched TVs, switched HDMI cables, etc., yet the problem remains. No other games that I play on the system exhibit this problem. It's really bugging me, as it detracts from the graphical quality, and it's really noticeable on the darker levels, of which there's several towards the end of the game. Now I can't unsee it; has anyone experienced this?"

Sadly I must be the only one experiencing this. Pissing me off to no end; have no idea what it could be besides the game itself.

BotoxAgent said:
Thanks! I guess I was doing it too close.
Is this that encounter near the middle of the game? That was tough. There's a little corner to the left of the diner/store you come out of with a dumpster that you can take cover at if it gets too crazy. Also throw C4s at him easy by getting on top of the train tracks.

Top Bottom