• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Majanew

Banned
Gotta love all of the nitpicking. The 360 is running Crysis much better than I thought it would. No shit it isn't going to look as good as the PC version, but it's Crysis running on 2005 hardware with ~512MB RAM.

S1kkZ said:
no it didnt. i am talking about the beta mp demo, not the closed alpha demo from last year.
I'm pretty sure there have been two mp demos released on the 360 this year. The first was plagued with an insane issue where if you had a wireless net connection, you couldn't connect properly. They later released a second version of the demo. Not only could you actually connect & play (what an achievement!) but the slight control lag from the first was gone, and the iq looked slightly less blurry. Performance was also rock solid, much better than the PS3 demo.

It'll be real interesting to see final comparison between the retail releases.

Nizz

zorbsie said:
I got the 360 version. Looks like there is no online code. Weird, I thought all EA games had one. Maybe it's part of the LE download code.
I thought I remembered Crytek mentioning they weren't going with the whole EA online pass thing? Maybe that's why there's no code?

blazinglazers said:
I'm pretty sure there have been two mp demos released on the 360 this year. The first was plagued with an insane issue where if you had a wireless net connection, you couldn't connect properly. They later released a second version of the demo. Not only could you actually connect & play (what an achievement!) but the slight control lag from the first was gone, and the iq looked slightly less blurry. Performance was also rock solid, much better than the PS3 demo.

It'll be real interesting to see final comparison between the retail releases.

There has been two on 360, the iq is less blurry however the performance wasnt rock solid at all on either demo but seemed to run smoother than it did on ps3 without a doubt.

TUROK

pixelbox said:
Your the type that believes any and everything you see/hear without researching it, aren't you? And FYI, Originally Posted by NotTarts-"Looks great. No GI, though." Can you see the GI in this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8730SR1POk ? Do you need a high rez capture to see it? LOL
Holy hell, are you seriously comparing a tech demo running on a high-end PC to compressed captures of a console game? Honestly?

I'm just reserving judgement until I actually have the game in my hands. Also, considering global illumination is a blanket term for a group of effects, it is ridiculously stupid to say that Crysis 2 simply lacks it. Maybe the console versions have no radiosity, but do have IBL or photon mapping.

pixelbox said:
Your the type that believes any and everything you see/hear without researching it, aren't you? And FYI, Originally Posted by NotTarts-"Looks great. No GI, though." Can you see the GI in this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8730SR1POk ? Do you need a high rez capture to see it? LOL
The fact that you're comparing such VASTLY DIFFERENT GI technologies in such a simplistic way shows really well your grasp on 3D graphics technology.

For starters, one requires precomputation, the other does not.

TUROK said:
Maybe the console versions have no radiosity, but do have IBL or photon mapping.
Yes, from the videos posted, it's undeniably that the console versions do support IBL (to great effect).

pixelbox

You know full well what my point was. Even if you reduce the image quality it still is still visible. Crytec showed off their version of GI which it had radiosity, this version does not and it's obvious, TUROK.

As for Metroid-Squadron, you're just throwing out terms you got from B3D. Ohhhh, the internetz. edit: Will not discuss anything tech-like with people that don't know what they're talking about.

Lol I've been missing out on all the fun. I'm actually considering adding my first person on my ignore list. If Khronikos believes that Resistance 2 and Halo Reach look better than this, then I'm fairly certain that I'm not interested in anything he would ever have to say, ever. Maybe he just needs to get his eyes checked though, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

But yeah, hype +1 (PC). Funny how so many people were shitting on the game because of the multiplayer demo. Not that I blame them since it's all we had to go by (Why Crytek released the inferior mulitiplayer demo to a single player demo is beyond me...). I'm still bitter about the lack of graphics options on the PC side of things and lack of DX11, though.

Edit:
Lingitiz said:
Don't know if this has been posted already but here's a match on Parking Deck:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L83gV5KD6M

The loading screen for the PC demo (for me) didn't have the wireframe city moving like that... weird.

pixelbox said:
As for Metroid-Squadron, you're just throwing out terms you got from B3D. Ohhhh, the internetz. I'm outta here.
So you're trying to disqualify me because you couldn't understand the argument. Classic rhetoric in action. I've yet to see another game that uses ambient specular lighting.

pixelbox

MisterAnderson said:
Lol I've been missing out on all the fun. I'm actually considering adding my first person on my ignore list. If Khronikos believes that Resistance 2 and Halo Reach look better than this, then I'm fairly certain that I'm not interested in anything he would ever have to say, ever. Maybe he just needs to get his eyes checked though, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

But yeah, hype +1 (PC). Funny how so many people were shitting on the game because of the multiplayer demo. Not that I blame them since it's all we had to go by (Why Crytek released the inferior mulitiplayer demo to a single player demo is beyond me...). I'm still bitter about the lack of graphics options on the PC side of things and lack of DX11, though.
Nah R2 saving grace was the water tech. H:R saving grace what the L.O.D. engine/full buffer particle system and even then the whole package was lack-luster.

pixelbox

Metroid-Squadron said:
So you're trying to disqualify me because you couldn't understand the argument. Classic rhetoric in action. I've yet to see another game that uses ambient specular lighting.
What is there to understand, you don't know what you're talking about. Yes the game looks great, but there were many cutbacks just like any other console game. If you can appreciate C2 then you can appreciate KZ2,3. You downplay those games as if 300+ people that created the phye engine somehow missed the features C2 "has" in it. I've proven my point rather you want to be a sarcastic ass about it or not. You have yet used anything to prove your points and true is, no one know what they're doing, but one can make an educated guess that if the shit has not been presented before on console by some of the most talented devs in the industry then it's probably not possible in current form. Just because you when to a couple tech site does not make you a developer.

Mrbob

Damn that 360 footage looks fine. I'm thinking about buying Crysis 2 on 360 now, and if the game sucks I can sell it. Then I'll buy it again on PC on the cheap during a Steam sale when all the sexy mods start hitting.

pixelbox said:
What is there to understand, you don't know what you're talking about. Yes the game looks great, but there were many cutbacks just like any other console game. If you can appreciate C2 then you can appreciate KZ2,3. You downplay those games as if 300+ people that created the phye engine somehow missed the features C2 "has" in it. I've proven my point rather you want to be a sarcastic ass about it or not.
Exactly when did I downplay KZ2/3? You're now making stuff up.

pixelbox said:
You have yet used anything to prove your points and true is, no one know what they're doing, but one can make an educated guess that if the shit has not been presented before on console by some of the most talented devs in the industry then it's probably not possible in current form. Just because you when to a couple tech site does not make you a developer.
Here's CryEngine 3's documentation
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=53052&page=43

That, coupled with videos we're getting right now shows perfectly well that you're wrong. Simple as that.

The argument that just because somebody hasn't done it before makes it impossible is ridiculous and stupid.

kitch9

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Confirmed by the first PC review.

It's spectacular how Crytek have managed to make me, a massive Crysis fan who played the first through 3 times completely not want the sequel.....

I'm properly fucked off with the complete middle finger they've flicked at their existing fan base.

Just caught up and read the last 6 or 7 pages. Holy crap, that was awesome hahaha.

* Khronikos' gems
* LiquidMetal14 doing everything possible to downplay the console version's graphics so people don't put it on par with Sony exclusives
* Pixelbox's incoherent babble and constant misspelling of "Crytec"
* Norml posting a screen cap of the Youtube video and declaring it definitive proof of whatever his opinion was

It's a shame I don't own any consoles and can't really participate in these riveting debates. (Thank god for PC gaming)

iam220 said:
Wow, 360 version you say? This looks about as good, if not better than what crysis 1 looks on my 4850. Quite the achievement for a 360 IMO. If I get that quality and framerates on said 4850 I'd be very happy.

This is without a doubt the best looking, most technically impressive console game I've seen. Well done crytek, now just release dx11 and allow custom configs to please the people with the high end rigs.

Funny, doesnt look as impressive as the crysis I played on my dell laptop... Looks pretty damn good though. Definitely doesnt look like the most impressive console game I have seen though... I think uncharted 3 looks quite a lot more impressive

Anyway, I will pick this up on the pc...funny though, that at the end of the day it doesnt look any better than its predecessor.

Mrbob

x3sphere said:
Have someone with a UK account gift you it on Steam, comes out to like $49 USD.

Oh nice. I might have to try to get in touch with a UK Steam'er.

D2D has 20 percent off shooters right now so it would be 47.96. I have a tough time justifying the expense of spending 60 bucks on a pc game.

Edit: Amazon offering a gift card on the PC version of Crysis 2? This is close to being a first they normally aren't offered on multi plat games! Close to a done deal for me now.

The best deal for the PC version I've found is $56.99 @ Amazon + a $10 gift card = $46.99 shipped (no tax, free shipping) if you ever intend on using Amazon for games again. I think I'm gonna go with that.

Mrbob said:
Oh nice. I might have to try to get in touch with a UK Steam'er.

D2D has 20 percent off shooters right now so it would e 47.96. I have a tough time justifying the expense of spending 60 bucks on a pc game.
Oh wow... hmm.

Boxed copy for $56.99 + $10 credit

or

47.96 (is there tax for D2D?) as a digital download

What do you think?

A couple of screenshots from a Beyond3D member (dragonelite):

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/1778/photob8e267ffafbaf6619e.jpg
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9113/photo13349a68ca1a6214a1.jpg
photo2fcd5205c0938ab0ed.jpg

Gotta love the lighting/reflections.

Mrbob

Heavy said:
The best deal for the PC version I've found is $56.99 @ Amazon + a $10 gift card = $46.99 shipped (no tax, free shipping) if you ever intend on using Amazon for games again. I think I'm gonna go with that.

Oh wow... hmm.

Boxed copy for $56.99 + $10 credit

or

47.96 (is there tax for D2D?) as a digital download

What do you think?

I'm debating this currently myself. I think I'm going to go the amazon route since I get triple points with my amazon visa!

pixelbox

Heavy said:
Just caught up and read the last 6 or 7 pages. Holy crap, that was awesome hahaha.

* Khronikos' gems
* LiquidMetal14 doing everything possible to downplay the console version's graphics so people don't put it on par with Sony exclusives
* Pixelbox's incoherent babble and constant misspelling of "Crytec"
* Norml posting a screen cap of the Youtube video and declaring it definitive proof of whatever his opinion was

It's a shame I don't own any consoles and can't really participate in these riveting debates. (Thank god for PC gaming)
What's incoherent about "Crytek's" ablity to stretching the truth about their engine. That's all i was really saying. If you don't have anything to add the STFU.

Mrbob said:
I'm debating this currently myself. I think I'm going to go the amazon route since I get triple points with my amazon visa!
I think I'm with you on that. Kinda want a boxed copy. The last game I got boxed was Starcraft II and it was pretty nice. Free release day delivery if you have Prime too

iam220

nelsonroyale said:
Funny, doesnt look as impressive as the crysis I played on my dell laptop... Looks pretty damn good though.

That doesn't say much. What kind of laptop do you have and what were your fps?

adelante

pixelbox said:
What is there to understand, you don't know what you're talking about. Yes the game looks great, but there were many cutbacks just like any other console game. If you can appreciate C2 then you can appreciate KZ2,3. You downplay those games as if 300+ people that created the phye engine somehow missed the features C2 "has" in it. I've proven my point rather you want to be a sarcastic ass about it or not. You have yet used anything to prove your points and true is, no one know what they're doing, but one can make an educated guess that if the shit has not been presented before on console by some of the most talented devs in the industry then it's probably not possible in current form. Just because you when to a couple tech site does not make you a developer.
I gotta say, its been a joy seeing how quickly you would just flatout dismiss an opinion, though in most cases I don't really understand where you're getting at with your retorts... but that's probably cos I'm no expert (well for starters i don't have an "ultimate eye" for these things). Also doesn't help that the points you brought (like attributing other posters' "knowledge" of tech to time spent on other forums) could easily apply to you. I'm really curious... are you a developer yourself?

pixelbox said:
What's incoherent about "Crytek's" ablity to stretching the truth about their engine.
i do not understand what you have written here. that sentance is incoherant. i do not honestly know what you are trying to say.

Mrbob

Heavy said:
I think I'm with you on that. Kinda want a boxed copy. The last game I got boxed was Starcraft II and it was pretty nice. Free release day delivery if you have Prime too

Yeah I have prime so it helped tip the scale in the favor of amazon. Just ordered a copy and will throw the 10 dollar coupon code on Portal 2 when I get it.

pixelbox

Metroid-Squadron said:
Exactly when did I downplay KZ2/3? You're now making stuff up.

Here's CryEngine 3's documentation
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=53052&page=43

That, coupled with videos we're getting right now shows perfectly well that you're wrong. Simple as that.

The argument that just because somebody hasn't done it before makes it impossible is ridiculous and stupid.
None of the info in the pdf is just statements on what they said would be in their engine. Take a look at this:http://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/spubased-deferred-shading-in-battlefield-3-for-playstation-3

They gave step by step directions on how their effects were created. That's what I was talking about. But the point is we don't know what's going on as of yet and I will reserve judgement until it is released.

Has there been any mention of what features the dx11 client will have? i'm guessing tesselation is a no brainer.

Nvidia alone supposedly spent over 2 million on a marketing splurge and its inclusion in the meant to be played program. I also imagine AMD and intel dropped a shitload of cash to get it optimised on their hardware also. i can't imagine any of them are happy over a patch delay.

pixelbox said:
What's incoherent about "Crytek's" ablity to stretching the truth about their engine. That's all i was really saying. If you don't have anything to add the STFU.
What is there to add? Both Metroid-Squadron and TUROK have responded to your posts with factual evidence and you've replied with incoherent babble about the engine and "Crytec [sic]".

Zenith

Banned
Khronikos said:
No, you see, right there, you should be modded...How am I looking the fool?...Everything I have stated is basically truth no matter how much the fanboys cringe.

sweet Jesus. Joke character?

Mrbob

I know Crysis 2 isn't as open as the original Crysis, but if you were a fan of the original I don't know how you can't be psyched watching those game play videos. The areas are more confined but they still seem dense in the number of options you have. There are multiple attack points to take on each situation. I'm already looking forward to multiple play times through the campaign attacking each area differently.

I'm going to be Batman in my first play through going to cloak and attack from above.

pixelbox

plagiarize said:
i do not understand what you have written here. that sentance is incoherant. i do not honestly know what you are trying to say.
I'll entertain you post. I'm in a rush and i'm trying to cram shit. Basically, my point is that Crytek is an unproven console developer with no prior experience of developing on either console. They have made some bold claims about their engine without anyone acturally looking into them. So my question is how can a PC exclusive developer that's been around for about 10 years beat out developers dedicated to a specific platform, let alone, many fixed platforms at their first go?

pixelbox said:
None of the info in the pdf is just statements on what they said would be in their engine. Take a look at this:http://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/spubased-deferred-shading-in-battlefield-3-for-playstation-3

They gave step by step directions on how their effects were created. That's what I was talking about. But the point is we don't know what's going on as of yet and I will reserve judgement until it is released.
Here you go, slides about the specifics of their GI technique (and other things):

http://www.crytek.com/cryengine/presentations

Miggytronz

pixelbox said:
I'll entertain you post. I'm in a rush and i'm trying to cram shit. Basically, my point is that Crytek is an unproven console developer with no prior experience of developing on either console. They have made some bold claims about their engine without anyone acturally looking into them. So my question is how can a PC exclusive developer that's been around for about 10 years beat out developers dedicated to a specific platform, let alone, many fixed platforms at their first go?

I dunno but come tuesday we'll find out wont we because so far the XBOX version looks pretty damn good. IMO looks better than many other FPS's for XBOX.

We can leave PS3 out of this, because that demo was.....yeah i dont wanna talk about it. Hopefully the retail release is not the demo.

pixelbox

Heavy said:
What is there to add? Both Metroid-Squadron and TUROK have responded to your posts with factual evidence and you've replied with incoherent babble about the engine and "Crytec [sic]".
Where was this "factual evidence"? Honestly? Going back a couple pages you'll find that those "crappy captures (compressed + gamma issues)" are not a good source to use to prove any point. We'll see when the game is in hand.

Mrbob said:
I know Crysis 2 isn't as open as the original Crysis, but if you were a fan of the original I don't know how you can't be psyched watching those game play videos. The areas are more confined but they still seem dense in the number of options you have. There are multiple attack points to take on each situation. I'm already looking forward to multiple play times through the campaign attacking each area differently.

I'm going to be Batman in my first play through going to cloak and attack from above.

Hmmm, I am excited for the game, but nothing shown so far indicates that this is actually advanced from crysis. The setting is different and the game seems more stream lined, but nothing seems more impressive than the original. I think the 360 version looks good. I have a laptop which can run the pc version, but I was actually thinking about picking it up on ps3 since my monitor for that is larger. Since it looks pretty crap on ps3, I certainly won't be going that route.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
that screenshot is bananas. Aliasing might be an issue though, any news at all on what Crytek have planned?

Top Bottom