• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Mrbob

LaserBuddha said:
I'd like the free copy of Crysis 1 from the EA store, but I'm assuming that I can't activate 1 or 2 on Steam? If so, I'll just have to go with the Steam version.

Nope. You'll be able to activate it on the EA Download Manager which is basically a carbon copy of Steam now.

sTaTIx

Always-honest said:
well, game looks good. would be weird to say that it doesn't.
Is the stuttering I'm experiencing with that video just me, or is it the game's framerate issues?

If that video is indicative of the framerate of the game itself, then it really, really doesn't look like Crytek values a smooth framerate very much. Doesn't bode well for how the rest of the game runs if the first level stutters like that.

MisterAnderson said:
Lol I've been missing out on all the fun. I'm actually considering adding my first person on my ignore list. If Khronikos believes that Resistance 2 and Halo Reach look better than this, then I'm fairly certain that I'm not interested in anything he would ever have to say, ever. Maybe he just needs to get his eyes checked though, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

I think R2 looks a lot better than the PS3 demo of Crysis 2, 720p and rock solid 30fps > sub 30fps sub HD shit. It's nice to have a lot of details and defered lighting, but if the IQ is crap, it looks like shit anyway.

sTaTIx said:
Is the stuttering I'm experiencing with that video just me, or is it the game's framerate issues?

If that video is indicative of the framerate of the game itself, then it really, really doesn't look like Crytek values a smooth framerate very much. Doesn't bode well for how the rest of the game runs if the first level stutters like that.
wanted to ask the same thing. especially in the second part.

Hey guys. I'd like to thank whoever said that 'this new batch of juniors are rude' or something along these lines, thanks to you I went to check my college email and I had my account activated.

With this said, I'm definately not here to argue.

I just got my hands on a legit PC copy (on 10 legit copies actually, if you really want to know how you can ask), I'm wondering if anyone would like screenshots of the singleplayer, or if I should even post them here considering the game isn't officially out? I won't be recording videos with Fraps as I want to game at 60fps, but I wouldn't mind taking some screens to put some minds on this thread at rest. I intend to move through the entire campaign this weekend. I'm actually beyond the levels that have been shown on Youtube today already. So hum yeah... just let me know and I'll upload a few.

Mrbob said:
Nope. You'll be able to activate it on the EA Download Manager which is basically a carbon copy of Steam now.

Sorry, I'm confused. I can activate it on Steam via the EA Download Manager? Or are you just saying that the EA Download Manager is the only activation method, which is walled off from Steam?

Zen

Banned
Alright, I guess the PS3 MP demo was a big misdirection; the SP looks tons better (hopefully the retail MP will be as well).

scently

Always-honest said:
wanted to ask the same thing. especially in the second part.

I think its from youtube as he was still uploading the clip, he just added the 720p feed which wasn't there when i posted the link. Or it could be the capture device.

EDIT: Somebody who has played this section has confirmed that the stuttering is not from the game.

S1kkZ

the new 360 video and the ps3 video show the same area btw (its a little later in the ps3 video). ps3 version runs much smoother.

Mrbob

LaserBuddha said:
Sorry, I'm confused. I can activate it on Steam via the EA Download Manager? Or are you just saying that the EA Download Manager is the only activation method, which is walled off from Steam?

The latter. For the retail copy EA Download Manager is the only activation method.

jintek

Banned
I played a bit of this on my roommates' 360 today. And I have to say...this is among if not the best looking 360 game I've ever played. And what they seem to be doing under-the-hood w/ the engine is crazy.

ymmv

Banned
CozMick said:

I don't see anything wrong with that game. Looks very good actually. The image quality is a bit soft, but what else can you expect from a heavily compressed Youtube video?

BTW It's funny to see how everyone was shitting on this game for the past couple of days (and the OP certainly did his part in creating the OT) but with the current batch of videos suddenly the tide is turning.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
-bakalhau- said:
I just got my hands on a legit PC copy (on 10 legit copies actually, if you really want to know how you can ask), I'm wondering if anyone would like screenshots of the singleplayer, or if I should even post them here considering the game isn't officially out? I won't be recording videos with Fraps as I want to game at 60fps, but I wouldn't mind taking some screens to put some minds on this thread at rest. I intend to move through the entire campaign this weekend. I'm actually beyond the levels that have been shown on Youtube today already. So hum yeah... just let me know and I'll upload a few.

You'll probably have to "prove" that you're legit before you do it, but I'd definitely like to see some direct shots from the PC single player.

please do, upload a ton and thumbnail them in a post

CozMick

Banned
S1kkZ said:
the new 360 video and the ps3 video show the same area btw (its a little later in the ps3 video). ps3 version runs much smoother.

I wanted to say this but didn't want to stir the hive :p

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
-bakalhau- said:
Hey guys. I'd like to thank whoever said that 'this new batch of juniors are rude' or something along these lines, thanks to you I went to check my college email and I had my account activated.

Show us the options and stuff. The stuff PC GAF wants to see.

ymmv said:
I don't see anything wrong with that game. Looks very good actually. The image quality is a bit soft, but what else can you expect from a heavily compressed Youtube video?
We can derive that from the 360 footage as well so I didn't see anyone jump on folks for saying how good the 360 version looks. The artifacts and clarity are not the best to gauge on these YT vids though.

sTaTIx

-bakalhau- said:

Please tell us what you're running in terms of your PC. Also if you could let us know if the ini files are indeed encrypted. Also what are the settings they offer. Thanks!

Zen

Banned
S1kkZ said:

Noticed this as well, but what I really came to post was this:

Man Dr Gould is doing his best Otacon impersonation (same voice actor?).

I think I'll play this game pretending that your ultimate objective is to find and destroy (bio) Metal Gear. ;)

S1kkZ

scently said:
Well you don't have to as the stuttering is from the capture card and not from the game.
i think so too. the other sp video runs much better and the other sp videos (gamespot) also had a much better framerate. lets wait and see.

kinggroin

Banned
Not to stir anything up (heh), but is it me, or does this new footage show the PS3 running the game better than the 360 build? I saw the video just now, and I must say, it's really up there as far as best looking console title. The lighting especially is fantastic.

scently said:

2qantlh.gif

x3sphere

-bakalhau- said:

I'd be surprised if you're able to run it right now, nearly all EA games that have come out in recent memory had a release date check. I'd assume Crysis 2 would be the same. But if you can then yeah, please post screens.

~Kinggi~

Banned
sTaTIx said:
The same scene appears to run a significantly smoother on the PS3. I don't notice the same framerate inconsistencies as I do on the Xbox 360-version clip. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part as a PS3 loyalist, but I think it's an accurate observation in this case.

360: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF67XFXq_ys
PS3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svKUhYXZoHI
Could be video framerate encoding. If you watch the little menu body scan sequence video toward the end of the 360 video you can see choppy movement in the display. So unless the game is chugging when displaying menu and video graphics (and not the game engine like during a pause screen) then it could be encoding issues.

I'd love for one of the main comparison websites to give us something this weekend so i can make a decision.

woober

I only watched the first 3 minutes of both the ps3 and 360 videos (which showed the same thing almost) and I have to say the game looks great. It's not as bad as people are making it out to be (graphically speaking).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
bj00rn_ said:
Looking at the latest 360 and PS3 footage I have to say the game looks fantastic for a console shooter.
Considering the nature of developing for 2 consoles, yes, absolutely.

lol, I just got a shipping confirmation from EA store, apparently I preordered the PS3 version almost a year ago, but I honestly have no interest in the game right now. Oh well, it's only $42 ( there was a 25% off deal I think).

~Kinggi~ said:
Could be video framerate encoding. If you watch the little menu body scan sequence video toward the end of the 360 video you can see choppy movement in the display. So unless the game is chugging when displaying menu and video graphics (and not the game engine like during a pause screen) then it could be encoding issues.

I'd love for one of the main comparison websites to give us something this weekend so i can make a decision.

The framerate on the 360 version at GDC was smooth.

Just saw the xbox360 youtube video and i have to say its not among the best looking games in consoles.

It is the best looking console game, period.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Wow 4:30 at that ps3 gameplay look at the helicopter shadow on the building at the left

1 FPS !!

Dunno if it's like that on the 360 version too or a random glitch

Khronikos

Banned
MMaRsu said:
It's pretty obvious that Khronikos01 or something is serious, foreign, and pretty dumb but serious.

I'm really starting to learn to disregard these comments. I am not even going to get worked up over them. Pretty dumb. I have been playing games for 20 years there chief and I have a bachelor's in English. You have some mighty words. I doubt you have anything to back any of that garbage up. I am an American, I live in Minnesota, and I am very entitled to critique this game. I find some members here to be superficial, egotistic for the base reason they are full members (come on dude this isn't a hierarchy and you really have no clue as to who I am), or because they simply think and feel they are elite for being here all of which are preposterous in reality. Anyway, what I have said about this game remains true.

And as for the Resistance 2 quote, you people surely know how to take things out of context and really put your spin on them. I alluded to Resistance as just a game that looked decent for what I thought was 60FPS from my limited time playing it. It is 30FPS and I corrected myself after seeing a post that said it might be. When you compare Crysis with the full 720p resolution with 2xAA NO there is no way Resistance looks better in really anyway. But that is simply not the case. R2 runs 30FPS like just about no other FPS and does this with a very decent engine for how OLD it is. Crysis on PS3 runs as we have noted before, like crap with very questionable IQ all around. Even the PC diehards are questioning the bizarre changes Crytek have made. The 360 and PS3 versions seem to trade off their own poisons. Again, R2 was just shoved in there.

The games I mentioned were KZ2, KZ3, BF2, and Halo Reach which doesn't get nearly enough credit for what it does right. As for sound I did miss MoH as someone was nice enough to add in another discussion. So it'd be great if you stopped using R2 like I was this huge R2 fan and couldn't resist putting my favorite game in here. I don't like the game that much and have barely played it. I thought all Ins. games ran at 60 FPS. The R&C series is ALL 60FPS and those I have played.

I came here to get away from the N4G like barrage of comments that insist everyone is wrong everyone is right fuck you fuck me blow it all up goodbye. So I am not going to comment on this game any longer after this unless in the other thread where opinions seem much different but I did feel the need to comment on the crowd hanging in the back giving me rude comments based on their own self seeing privilege to judge and direct the opinion of someone's personality to others while that person is not around.

Really, it's kind of odd seeing this here. I am not sure how old some of you are but I am thinking teenagers for sure and that is just fine. I know most of GAF and its mods can handle healthy criticism even when its harsh. I'll leave it at that. But please, the junior designation means nothing and will never mean anything about my intelligence, my persona, career, etc. So stop pretending you live in some Neogaf kingdom where you rank high and others low because it's a weak facade and it makes you look kind of peevish and insecure about your own intelligence and posting manner. Anyway, I hope you enjoy Crysis 2 I have nothing against the game I have issues with the developers.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
sTaTIx said:
The same scene appears to run a significantly smoother on the PS3. I don't notice the same framerate inconsistencies as I do on the Xbox 360-version clip. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part as a PS3 loyalist, but I think it's an accurate observation in this case.

360: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF67XFXq_ys
PS3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svKUhYXZoHI
I think that's just a video compression issue but these videos do show that the game looks very similar between platforms (aside from gamma/contrast differences) and that the PS3 version does look smooth, which is all I was hoping for.

strata8

RoboPlato said:
I think that's just a video compression issue but these videos do show that the game looks very similar between platforms (aside from gamma/contrast differences) and that the PS3 version does look smooth, which is all I was hoping for.
Yep,
the frame rate is a lot smoother on my capture than on youtube, but the frame rate does cut a little when you reach a checkpoint.

JB1981

S1kkZ said:
man i was just thinking the same thing and the MP demo was such garbage. Different teams? WTF!

I thought Crysis 2 was a game that was going to be released on multi-platforms, I didn't know it was a "code" or a "statement" to cause butthurt gamers to make threads that create PC vs Console wars.

How could the OP can be acknowledged as an OT of a game?

Shitty job OP, DO NOT keep up the bad work.

Top Bottom