• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So without trawling through the pages, has there been a fix yet for the loss in texture clarity when using 4xMSAA?

G_Berry

Banned
WTF is this really being discussed? There is no way that any of the blur used in ANY PS3 game matches the quality of the Crysis 2 implementation.

It looks likes fucking CG! It's being output on my PC in 1080p and at well over 60fps!!!

(Unless we're talking about the PS3 Crysis 2 blur? which I haven't seen for myself.)

If not, then serious fucking drugs are being taken.

kitch9

Banned
CcrooK said:
Man. That scene was intense and so much fun. Soon as those lights went out I was like, "This shit it about to get real!"

Yeah, I was stealthed with Nanovision on and as soon as I let a shot off the lights went out with no power to turn anything back on. Shit myself.

Loved that bit....

Man

G_Berry said:
WTF is this really being discussed? There is no way that any of the blur used in ANY PS3 game matches the quality of the Crysis 2 implementation.

It looks likes fucking CG! It's being output on my PC in 1080p and at well over 60fps!!!

(Unless we're talking about the PS3 Crysis 2 blur? which I haven't seen for myself.)
If not, then serious fucking drugs are being taken.
I haven't played Crysis 2 yet and I have no clue what blur technique it uses but I believe there is hardware precedence for PS3 blur capabilities. Kinda like the PS2 gpu bus being faster than the one in the PS3 making bc close to impossible etc (older but exotic hardware which excels at specific purposes). KZ2 has fullscreen per-pixel motion blur (every pixel has it's own velocity/vector) for everything running on the Cell spu's.

Cdammen

Can someone please tell me how far I am into the game?

I've just been hit by a tsunami wave and am not fighting my way through some alien baddies with the help of some AI buddies.

I love fighting the new aliens but I really dislike not having quick save, I've had more awesome firefights in Crysis when I had the option to save before I put a crazy battle plan into play. Now I'm just way too cautious... and the "respawning/pod drops" out of fucking nowhere piss me off. Sometimes I just run or sneak through an area because I know that dispatching enemies might be a waste of ammo.

scitek

Animator said:
This gif is awesome. Are there other gifs showing some nighttime stuff, I havent seen any so far.

c2lights1ynic.gif

c2lights29nh0.gif

c2lights3d72b.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Crytek's lighting engine is out of this world. It's dynamics smoke everything else on the market. Environments look so fucking amazing.

derFeef

Anyone else having problems switching to 1080p? My native resolution is 1920x1200 but Crysis 2 still runs at this res when set to 1080p.

Just beat the game a third time on Post-Human. I ended up just speed-stealthing through the entire last level in like 10 minutes. The endgame is so poor, it really sours an otherwise great experience. The firefights during the mid-game are sweet, the early-game and late-game environments just aren't as fun to play in imo.

It inspired me to boot up Crysis OG again and after finding a sweet config I'm having a blast. I started using suit hotkeys for the first time, and surprisingly it can be played closer to C2 than I thought.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished the game on veteran just then. Took me around 12-13 hours or so. (think most of that was spent dying over and over at the start of the game.:p)

Overall pretty satisfied with the campaign, in a way it comes off as a poor sequel to crysis, but on it's own merits - it's a pretty awesome big-budget AAA shooter, for one it actually has a good length, the gameplay (while lacking the sandbox feel of the original game) still retains the awesome core gameplay of the original, and last of all, crytek finally managed to make a game where the aliens are more fun to fight than the humans.:p

Also compared to most big budget "AAA" games I've played recently, i didn't find myself getting tired of the game half-way through, which is a plus!

Biggest problem with the game is it doesn't feel like it will have as much lasting appeal as the original crysis did, especially since even in the more open levels, there seems to be less opportunities to play around with.

When they make Crysis 3 - I'm hoping they go back to the sandbox open-ended design of the original game with it's huge levels while mixing it up with the scripted linear design of crysis 2 with the aliens and better AI for the human enemies, also bring back the agile feel of the original nanosuit with speed mode and the all the additions the nanosuit from crysis 2 bought to the table, that would be the perfect "crysis" game for me, but sadly they are unlikely to go in that direction.

Just beat the game a third time on Post-Human. I ended up just speed-stealthing through the entire last level in like 10 minutes. The endgame is so poor, it really sours an otherwise great experience. The firefights during the mid-game are sweet, the early-game and late-game environments just aren't as fun to play in imo.
Ah i haft to disagree with that i found some of the later levels starting with the
prism
to be some of the most fun levels in the game. I did hate the very end of the last level, mostly because the
stealth aliens
were really unfun to fight and i struggled with the QTE shit for some reason.

scitek

EatChildren said:
Crytek's lighting engine is out of this world. It's dynamics smoke everything else on the market. Environments look so fucking amazing.

I could sit in that parking garage and watch muzzle flashes and explosions for hours.

scitek

Lafiel said:
Finished the game on veteran just then. Took me around 12-13 hours or so. (think most of that was spent dying over and over at the start of the game.:p)

Overall pretty satisfied with the campaign, in a way it comes off as a poor sequel to crysis, but on it's own merits - it's a pretty awesome big-budget AAA shooter, for one it actually has a good length, the gameplay (while lacking the sandbox feel of the original game) still retains the awesome core gameplay of the original, and last of all, crytek finally managed to make a game where the aliens are more fun to fight than the humans.:p

Also compared to most big budget "AAA" games I've played recently, i didn't find myself getting tired of the game half-way through, which is a plus!

Biggest problem with the game is it doesn't feel like it will have as much lasting appeal as the original crysis did, especially since even in the more open levels, there seems to be less opportunities to play around with.

When they make Crysis 3 - I'm hoping they go back to the sandbox open-ended design of the original game with it's huge levels while mixing it up with the scripted linear design of crysis 2 with the aliens and better AI for the human enemies, also bring back the agile feel of the original nanosuit with speed mode and the all the additions the nanosuit from crysis 2 bought to the table, that would be the perfect "crysis" game for me, but sadly they are unlikely to go in that direction.

You know, I've only played all of Crysis once. I continually boot up and play the first third or so of the game, but the stuff with the aliens just isn't that fun to me. Contrast that with Crysis 2, and I've already replayed every level in the game more than once, and on varying difficulties. C2's replayable as hell to me.

EatChildren

scitek said:
You know, I've only played all of Crysis once. I continually boot up and play the first third or so of the game, but the stuff with the aliens just isn't that fun to me. Contrast that with Crysis 2, and I've already replayed every level in the game more than once, and on varying difficulties. C2's replayable as hell to me.

Same for how I feel. I did enjoy Crysis, but Assault and Onslaught were they only levels I replayed (quite a lot, at that), because I thought they were the only ones that really delivered on what I wanted from Crysis.

Crysis 2, on the other hand, I find most of the levels very replayable thanks to how dynamic the action is. There's a few duds there that I dont like replaying, but most of them are great.

And as you said, the aliens are great this time around. I actually prefer fighting them to the humans, and the bigger levels with them are my favourite in the game. The level where your gifs are from is my favourite level in the game. It's so fantastic.

kitch9

Banned
Stealth enhance, nano recharge and a silenced pistol seems to break the AI in this game.

You can pop heads in front of other enemies and they do nothing. They shout "man down" and then carry on as normal so you can just pop their head.

Just complete the first few missions in under an hour where it took me 3-4 hours on a lower difficulty first time.....

strata8

EatChildren said:
Same for how I feel. I did enjoy Crysis, but Assault and Onslaught were they only levels I replayed (quite a lot, at that), because I thought they were the only ones that really delivered on what I wanted from Crysis.

Crysis 2, on the other hand, I find most of the levels very replayable thanks to how dynamic the action is. There's a few duds there that I dont like replaying, but most of them are great.

And as you said, the aliens are great this time around. I actually prefer fighting them to the humans, and the bigger levels with them are my favourite in the game. The level where your gifs are from is my favourite level in the game. It's so fantastic.
I just spent ages messing around with the physics on Contact :p

Why the hell aren't my online stats saving???

Is this happening to everyone else? I'm stuck at level 9 then I play a few and level up then back to level 9 again.....

Rotsu

Neo Member
Anyone agrees with me that they need to nerf the cloak in multiplayer? The game would be A LOT more fun if it has more dog fights in groups instead of this stealthy bullshit tactics that are being abused.

Dennis

Banned
EatChildren said:
So without trawling through the pages, has there been a fix yet for the loss in texture clarity when using 4xMSAA?
No.

But I am not sure why everyone is blaming MSAA for the blur. Even with this on my screenshots look nice and sharp to me.

I guess I can see somewhat sharper textures without MSAA but it sure does it make it more jaggy.

Kyaw

Is there any good AA techniques that you can force through GPU control panel that isnt performance crippling like Sparse Grid Super Sampling AA? Supersampling works fine but it loses sharpness of the overall image quality but it does looks very neat and clean and normal MSAA through Nvidia inspector doesnt work for me. :L

Yeah, I'm using 4xMSAA without the NV filter or edge AA and I'm not noticing much blur at all.

I am forcing AFx16 in Nvidia Inspector though, because the in-game setting is a bit variable.

Dennis

Banned
Kyaw said:
Is there any good AA techniques that you can force through GPU control panel that isnt performance crippling like Sparse Grid Super Sampling AA? Supersampling works fine but it loses sharpness of the overall image quality but it does looks very neat and clean and normal MSAA through Nvidia inspector doesnt work for me. :L
Suersamping shouldn't reduce the sharpness of the image if you have applied the correct Negative LOD correction. Probably -0.5 to -1.5 depending on the amount of SGSSAA applied.

Does anyone have a config optimised for a hd4870 (or gtx260) 512MB card?

I've messed with a lot of the settings but I can't even tell if they are being applied or not (using the console).
Do I have to reload the map every time I change something?

I remember shadows being a lot better in the beta (dynamic shadows from all those fluorescent light tubes sitting around and the blue uv spots) if I set it to sys_spec_full 4 , can't seem to get it that way anymore.

Changing settings other than post processing doesn't seem to do much to my framerate either for some reason.

JoeBoy101

Tried using PostMSAA=2 but I just can't get by the blurriness. Even though it does a great job with the jaggies, I'd rather take them than the blurriness or the flickering.

EatChildren

DennisK4 said:
No.

But I am not sure why everyone is blaming MSAA for the blur. Even with this on my screenshots look nice and sharp to me.

I guess I can see somewhat sharper textures without MSAA but it sure does it make it more jaggy.

I blame MSAA because it only happens when I turn MSAA on, so I dont know how it could be anything else. It's not bad. It's not like having the edge AA on and the other crap that produces the vaseline filter. That's removed, but there's still a reduction in texture clarity.

I'm a stickler for crisp textures over nearly anything else. I wish I could turn on AA without it impacting texture quality in the slightest.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
derFeef said:
Anyone else having problems switching to 1080p? My native resolution is 1920x1200 but Crysis 2 still runs at this res when set to 1080p.

Why wouldn't you want to run your monitor at its native resolution?

Kyaw

DennisK4 said:
Suersamping shouldn't reduce the sharpness of the image if you have applied the correct Negative LOD correction. Probably -0.5 to -1.5 depending on the amount of SGSSAA applied.

Well, i used 2x2Supersampling and it's not as sharp as the PostMSAA=2 but it definitely doesnt have vaseline blur. I dunno what LOD correction to use, will experiment.

Tried using Sparse Grid Super sampling and that shit was extremely taxing on the GPU. (4xSGSSAA = 9 fps)

JoeBoy101

Kyaw said:
Well, i used 2x2Supersampling and it's not as sharp as the PostMSAA=2 but it definitely doesnt have vaseline blur. I dunno what LOD correction to use, will experiment.

Tried using Sparse Grid Super sampling and that shit was extremely taxing on the GPU. (4xSGSSAA = 9 fps)

I had somewhat playable FPS going with 2xSGSSAA and 2xAA in Inspector. I wanted to keep it a smooth 60 though, so dropped it.

Kyaw

What GPU do you have? I have a single 480SE and it runs PostMSAA=2 with around 60-80 with 100fps cap. It would make everything so much easier if i can just boot up the game directly into the level to test different AA levels...

Dyno

I've been really enjoying this title. I play the single-player one evening and then the next I play multi-player. I'm getting killed quite a bit in multi but I've been in some sweet firefights and have managed to get up to Level 10.

Just a very nice, well-rounded package thus far.

JoeBoy101

Kyaw said:
What GPU do you have? I have a single 480SE and it runs PostMSAA=2 with around 60-80 with 100fps cap. It would make everything so much easier if i can just boot up the game directly into the level to test different AA levels...

I'm running a 570, so not sure what your results be. But I didn't have playable with 4XSSG either. Just a suggestion. I'm running sans AA of anykind because I don't like the blur and am spoiled on 60fps.

Kyaw

Oh yeah right, i read that as 4xSGSSAA for some reason... o_O
2x is around 30 fps. Definitely need that fluid framerate to play this game properly.

I'm not understanding the talk about MSAA causing some horrible blur. Here's how it looks for me, sorry about the file sizes but it's max quality so the textures are clear as possible:

PostMSAA=2

postmsaaonhegg.jpg

PostMSAA=0

postmsaaoffdhgw.jpg

You're right that there's a difference, but it's so negligible I'm not even sure how you noticed it while playing. Seriously, force 16x AF in Nvidia Inspector.

pahamrick

After seeing all the nice pictures of Crysis 2 I couldn't resist anymore and went and picked it up, and of course ran into the nasty flicker bug. Installed the new Caps profile and used Radeon Pro to force the Fear crossfire profile. Here's what I noticed:

Using the Fear profile and custom graphic options with an autoexec.cfg file results in severe graphic distortion with flicker.

Deleting the autoexec.cfg file and using default Extreme graphic settings with the Fear profile works perfect. No flickering, no graphics distortion and a solid 60fps at all times with vsync enabled. Figure I'll go through the settings file a bit later and hopefully find the exact setting(s) that is causing the distortion.

JB1981 said:
I feel like this is the most expensive game I've ever played. Seriously, what was the budget on this game

Unlikely, the game while impressive didn't waste big money on high profile voice actors, music, and marketing. Games like Call of Duty and GTA cost fortunes largely due to so many external factors and waste. The Hans Zimmer soundtrack is probably one of the bigger expenses spent on the game, though it's also not likely as expensive as high profile licensed tracks from major bands.

JoeBoy101

DeadRockstar said:
I'm not understanding the talk about MSAA causing some horrible blur. Here's how it looks for me, sorry about the file sizes but it's max quality so the textures are clear as possible:

PostMSAA=2

PostMSAA=0

You're right that there's a difference, but it's so negligible I'm not even sure how you noticed it while playing. Seriously, force 16x AF in Nvidia Inspector.

I've been using the Config program linked here from CryMod and the difference between 2X and none is significant. Plus, it causes flickering in some of the textures. I got 16xAF through the config, but I'll try forcing it through Inspector instead.

scitek

JoeBoy101 said:
I've been using the Config program linked here from CryMod and the difference between 2X and none is significant. Plus, it causes flickering in some of the textures. I got 16xAF through the config, but I'll try forcing it through Inspector instead.

brain_stew said earlier that the command for 16x AF is apparently variable, so it changes between like 2x and 16x on the fly depending on the situation (the PS3 version of the game does this, as well). He recommended you force 16x through your drivers instead.

Vitet

No way...this game has infinite respawns... ¬¬
axl28j.png

I like to move freely after killing everyone dammit. This is just absurd!

Vitet said:

Majority of the game doesn't have infinite respawns, there are only a handful of spots that do. Theres several places that have multiple waves of enemies if you decide to stand and fight, but not infinite.

raphier

Banned
Vitet said:
axl28j.png

I like to move freely after killing everyone dammit. This is just aburd!
There're pile of bodies, we should go DURRRDURRDURUR*dead* /repeat

BattleMonkey said:
Majority of the game doesn't have infinite respawns, there are only a handful of spots that do. Theres several places that have multiple waves of enemies if you decide to stand and fight, but not infinite.
AI should know better than go straight to the line of fire. that could help with spawns.

Vitet

BattleMonkey said:

I'm enjoying this game a lot, but I hate this kind of cheap gameplays...

Ok i'm standing here. Let's see how high I can make that pile of corpses

Vitet said:
I'm enjoying this game a lot, but I hate this kind of cheap gameplays...

Ok i'm standing here. Let's see how high I can make that pile of corpses

You hate it, then perhaps you should just move on forward and get away from an infinite spawn point. Why waste time sitting in a spot of the game you hate?

Vitet

BattleMonkey said:
You hate it, then perhaps you should just move on forward and get away from an infinite spawn point. Why waste time sitting in a spot of the game you hate?

NEVER!

actually a moron killed me, so i restarted and go through that zone fast. And when I was about 5m from the goal... my game crashed. Too many death counts for today it seems :lol

Top Bottom