• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Red

RoboPlato said:
Don't let that video fool you, that encounter is one of the best I've ever played in a game. There are tons of options, lots of space, and it looks gorgeous.
But is the alien AI that brain dead? I don't care at all about those other facts if it's no fun to play.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Crunched said:
But is the alien AI that brain dead? I don't care at all about those other facts if it's no fun to play.
Sometimes it seems to glitch out and get really stupid. It happens more often with the human enemies. Most of the time it's fine. I've never have had a problem with the AI in that encounter.

Red

RoboPlato said:
Sometimes it seems to glitch out and get really stupid. It happens more often with the human enemies. Most of the time it's fine. I've never have had a problem with the AI in that encounter.
Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed I don't run into any serious bugs.

Numpt3

I remember reading earlier in the thread that someone encountered a bug on the 360 version where you load a save then the game crashes when you press 'A' to resume.

Well it's just happened to me, had to restart the chapter :/

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
There are some breakable trees in C2, but most aren't. Still, I don't think they'd be so easy to mow down anyway. That's most likely a design choice than a physics limitation. Also, concetre buildings weren't destroyable in Crysis so showing the destruction of small huts compared to the urban buildings in Crysis 2 isn't a good comparison. I'm pretty sure there are lots of unbreakable objects in Crysis as well, although most make more sense than random crates as in Crysis 2 I guess. It also didn't show details like the way lots of concrete cover in Crysis 2 breaks apart where it's shot. But yeah most of it isn't really physics differences, just game design differences. Linear scripted shooter that has to guide you down paths rather than let you destroy everything and make your own paths like the Crysis sandbox (whose later levels are also rather confined and limited too). They could probably import the Crysis levels in Crysis 2's engine version and the physics would be as functional as in the original. The engine can do it, the game doesn't.

VaLiancY

So how is everyone enjoying the multiplayer? I admit I wrote this portion of the game of from the demo because it took a good portion of stuff from CoD but it has its own identity with the nanosuit mechanics. It makes the game a little bit more twitchy yet resourceful because of the energy bar. I really hope it has some legs in the future.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Just finished the single player campaign, it was a lot better than I expected and I'll go as far as to say it was the best FPS single player campaign since HL2 IMO. The only thing that breaks this game is the AI, awful doesn't even cut it but even with that I enjoyed all 19 parts very very much.

172843BB60862C1886BC7E25D621212966FD3A57

Fucking nanopoints bug won't let me get my fully upgraded nanosuit :(

Zomba13

So after finishing the game I decided to mess about with the config to make the game look better/more fancy. I think I was playing at max with no motion blur, no msaa and 1 on edgeAA and it played great and looked great. Decided to mess about adding on Motion Blur and MSAa (even though it makes things a little blurry) and no edge AA.
Looks great (a bit blurry but not as bad as I remember it being in the multiplayer beta) and runs just about the same but with a bit lower fps. Also, decided to put 3D on to see how much of an fps drop I'd get. Answer was none. I am honestly shocked at that. I don't really believe it. Fraps is reporting roughly the same FPS in and out of stereo 3D. The 3D doesn't seem too great though, things further back don't seem as deep, probably because of the MSAA or motion blur.

[Nintex]

I tried the .cfg from the OP and it looks great but it's a bit too much for my system(HD5850/Core i7) and it ran better using the 'default' extreme setting. What should/could I tweak from the .cfg to improve performance without losing too much graphical quality?

TeTr1C

VaLiancY said:
So how is everyone enjoying the multiplayer? I admit I wrote this portion of the game of from the demo because it took a good portion of stuff from CoD but it has its own identity with the nanosuit mechanics. It makes the game a little bit more twitchy yet resourceful because of the energy bar. I really hope it has some legs in the future.

So I've put about ten hours into the multiplayer on PS3 so far.

I don't think I've ever played a match where everyone has a green connection bar. So far it's mostly been a pretty laggy mess. I can't be the only one to feel this way. A lot of the time, the kill cam doesn't even make sense. It's hard to tell whether the framerate drops or lag is causing it to be so slow.

I wish it ran like it does in the videos showing the suit module upgrades. Haha.

Wazzim

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I tried the .cfg from the OP and it looks great but it's a bit too much for my system(HD5850/Core i7) and it ran better using the 'default' extreme setting. What should/could I tweak from the .cfg to improve performance without losing too much graphical quality?
Disabling all the motion blur will give you a good boost.

Animator

VaLiancY said:

Probably one of my top three favorite mp games. The suit mechanics add so much to the game. And the maps are all fucking awesome.

[Nintex]

Wazzim said:
Disabling all the motion blur will give you a good boost.
I think the default settings had more blur than the cfg in the OP but it's still worth trying out I guess. What setting handles AA?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You can't disable all motion blur (r_motionblur=0) without graphical glitches. Explosions, taking a lot of damage, and anything else that uses excessive motion blur to convey an effect will spread black void if you do that. At most you can lower the quality and disable camera movement motion blur with that shutterspeed setting thing.

xion4360

verbatimo said:
I don't know if this has been linked.

Crysis vs Crysis 2 Physix Comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRxGxOAx0Q&hd=1

I know the physics are better in the original for obvious reasons, but at the same time he is being rather selective.. There are trees that you can shoot down in Crysis 2, the smaller ones, and why doesnt he try to shoot down other trees in warhead? like the ones that arent the coconut palm trees. all In all, Crysis 2 is a multiplatform game and is very impressive for what it does on consoles, all this destructibility stuff isnt that important.

grendelrt

xion4360 said:
I know the physics are better in the original for obvious reasons, but at the same time he is being rather selective.. There are trees that you can shoot down in Crysis 2, the smaller ones, and why doesnt he try to shoot down other trees in warhead? like the ones that arent the coconut palm trees. all In all, Crysis 2 is a multiplatform game and is very impressive for what it does on consoles, all this destructibility stuff isnt that important.

Theres a lot more to it than just trees. You could blow off car parts, they flew in the air when blown up, you could even shoot the tire out and cause the car to skid out of control. The spindle is another example, it gets blow around instead of being glued in place. The huts arent in new your city, so you cant really look at that example. Theres lots of little things, the only time it bugs me is shown in the video, if i shoot a stacking of card board boxes with a missile launcher I would think they would be destructible. Even in KZ3 I found lots of things destructible that i didnt expect to be. Its not game breaking, but annoying after playing Crysis 1 4 years ago and it having all of it.

Cdammen

I'm at the
floating island part
and I'm blown away by the lightning and post-processing. It's a really beautiful game. I'm playing it at 1080p on very high (gives me more stable framerate) with v-sync on and mouse smoothing off. What's the difference between very high and extreme? It looks almost exactly the same except for motion blur and AA.

kitch9

Banned
Zomba13 said:
So after finishing the game I decided to mess about with the config to make the game look better/more fancy. I think I was playing at max with no motion blur, no msaa and 1 on edgeAA and it played great and looked great. Decided to mess about adding on Motion Blur and MSAa (even though it makes things a little blurry) and no edge AA.
Looks great (a bit blurry but not as bad as I remember it being in the multiplayer beta) and runs just about the same but with a bit lower fps. Also, decided to put 3D on to see how much of an fps drop I'd get. Answer was none. I am honestly shocked at that. I don't really believe it. Fraps is reporting roughly the same FPS in and out of stereo 3D. The 3D doesn't seem too great though, things further back don't seem as deep, probably because of the MSAA or motion blur.

r_StereoDevice=3
r_StereoMode=2
r_StereoOutput=0
r_StereoEyeDist=0.05
r_StereoScreenDist=0.15
r_StereoHudScreenDist = 1.8

Stick that in your cfg and tell me what you think..... Lots of 3d depth, and the hud floats out of the screen.... Slight artifacts at side of screen though.

Nekrono

verbatimo said:
I don't know if this has been linked.

Crysis vs Crysis 2 Physix Comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRxGxOAx0Q&hd=1
Lol Crysis 2 physics are almost non existent.

I'm glad someone made that video so people can understand that Crysis 2 performance didn't come without sacrifices. The game technically and graphically isn't all THAT great.

Iztli said:
Lol I just saw this video and I can say it's pretty accurate, stupid/buggy AI and extremely weak enemies.

People saying otherwise may have gotten lucky or they play style is helping the difficulty.

Also in case you didn't know you can grab enemies (aliens too) and just throw them even without strength and they die lol, it looks so retarded with aliens.

Seriously this game isn't hard, other factors make it somewhat difficult at specific times/situations.

Binabik15

Nekrono said:
Lol Crysis 2 physics are almost non existent.

I'm glad someone made that video so people can understand that Crysis 2 performance didn't come without sacrifices and isn't all that great.

The explosions in Crysis 2 aren´t all that hot, or is that just a bad vid? Crysis had beautiful ones and Just Cause 2 which I played today has also really nice ones.

Nekrono

Binabik15 said:
The explosions in Crysis 2 aren´t all that hot, or is that just a bad vid? Crysis had beautiful ones and Just Cause 2 which I played today has also really nice ones.

Crysis 1 explosion are far better and more realistic imo. Crysis 2 ones just look pretty because of the particle effect they added in them.

The physics thing is blown out of proportion. Yeah, Crysis 1 had more destructibility, but there are still a lot of objects that can be tossed around in Crysis 2, and I don't know what people expect, bringing down Manhattan skyscrapers and blowing through concrete walls just like in Crysis 1? Or, no, those were small huts stacked together with loose fitting pieces...

And the trees thing that's always brought up really irks me. You can blow through some of the smaller trees in Crysis 2, and sure, you can't break down most of them, but in Crysis 1, as soon as you get off the road and beach with those nice spindly palm trees, aside from a few saplings, you can't break down any "real" trees in that jungle either. You could easily make a 10 minute Crysis 1 video chronicling all the trees you can't shoot down =P

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sax Russel said:
The physics thing is blown out of proportion. Yeah, Crysis 1 had more destructibility, but there are still a lot of objects that can be tossed around in Crysis 2, and I don't know what people expect, bringing down Manhattan skyscrapers and blowing through concrete walls just like in Crysis 1? Or, no, those were small huts stacked together with loose fitting pieces...

And the trees thing that's always brought up really irks me. You can blow through some of the smaller trees in Crysis 2, and sure, you can't break down most of them, but in Crysis 1, as soon as you get off the road and beach with those nice spindly palm trees, aside from a few saplings, you can't break down any "real" trees in that jungle either. You could easily make a 10 minute Crysis 1 video chronicling all the trees you can't shoot down =P
I expect, say, a car exploding while being lodged under a lowered gate to damage the gate. Personally.

Y2Kev said:
I expect, say, a car exploding while being lodged under a lowered gate to damage the gate. Personally.

Sure. And things like flags and police tape being impervious bugged me, too. I admitted Crysis 1 did it better, and I'm not saying Crysis 2 didn't compromise, but from some of the comments in here you'd think everything in the game was bolted together and immovable.

Y2Kev

sleepykyo said:
Outside of Red Faction which franchise has that?
I don't need real-time deformation or anything, I just want it to blow up. Or at least look like I just blew something else up next to it (turn it black or something).

Crysis 1 had basically what I meant. If I blow a tank up and the tank is inside the hut...it's kewl.

I know cities aren't full of huts like Crysis was, but a few bustops etc etc to make the battlefield more dynamic really would have helped it in terms of destructability. You never get that satisfaction that you did in the original game when you leave an area that has been utterly destroyed by a gunfight.

Y2Kev

The sheer amount of crap that can blow up on any random NYC city street is as great as any list in a forest. I mean, don't some of you live in cities? Bus stops, signage, garbage, patio furniture, awnings, doorways, stands, storefronts, etc.

I don't have unrealistic expectations though, so I get it. But there's tons of stuff that could be tossed around.

Nekrono

See You Next Wednesday said:
LOL
Selective comparisons?
crysis2_helicopteranem.gif

Some of the physics in C2 blows away everything else.
Like the bridge scene in the later part of the game is more impressive than anything I seen in Crysis 1.

LOL that's more like an event, a 'script' if you will, it's not really 'real-time'. That scene, the bridge, etc, all those are pre-baked physics and terrain alterations and deformation, etc.

It's kinda like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=531f_mOFrr4#t=2m50s

If Crysis 2 really had physics like the ones in your gif then why doesn't it maintain them throughout the whole game?

The "I'm mad just because it's not PC exclusive defense force" is even stronger.

Crysis 2 is a better playing & better looking game over the first, get over it.
You know when people say physics they mean real time physics and not scripted events right? I assume you are ignoring that on purpose so you can somehow pretend to defend this game.

And I would be glad to get over when Crysis 2 becomes more fun to play than Crysis.

LOL
Selective comparisons?

Like the bridge scene in the later part of the game is more impressive than anything I seen in Crysis 1.

You know that's scripted right? You can redo that scene 200 times and everything will play out exactly the same.

If we bring scripted moments into this

Fucking HALF LIFE EP 2!!

EDIT: Damn I'm slow
and high fucking five to Nekrono

Nekrono

Crysis 2 is a better playing & better looking game over the first, get over it.

After just being proven wrong, this statement holds no veracity.

Now you should get over Crysis 2 and stop claiming it's better looking and has better game play than the first.

If that is your personal opinion that's fine, but the way you're saying it, it's sounds more like a statement.

Y2Kev

Hey, why don't you all stop acting like babies? kthnx

The posted GIF might as well be entirely scripted. It might even be. The road deformations definitely are.

Sh1ner

LOL
Selective comparisons?

Not really those are scripted sequences, the heli always crashes in the same place, same with the bridge, its pre computed. The vid author is comparing real time user initiated physx and within the environment.

Sethos

Banned
Am I the only one struggling to get through this one? I can barely play the game for an hour before I'm bored. In Crysis, the scenarios you encountered always seemed new and special, the environments changed a lot throughout the game and the 'whoa' factor also kept you going. Here, it feels so much more cramped, the environments stay the same except the day / night cycle as you progress, the encounters are completely the same throughout; few lil' guys, big guy, bigger guy and then the big ass robot mah-thingy with a lot of neatly placed rocket launchers all over the place in a little arena - Rinse and repeat ( Add a heap of soldiers in there ).

The completely rubbish AI isn't helping much. The amount of times I've been able to walk up behind a guy or a ceph in combat and he / it's just looking into a wall ... Eugh. Plus the story is rubbish, I just gave up caring a long time ago. The game has some impressive events and some stunning scenes but that's about it, everything else is just a grind.

Then again, I'm getting bored of most games these days =/

Cdammen said:
I'm at the
floating island part
and I'm blown away by the lightning and post-processing. It's a really beautiful game. I'm playing it at 1080p on very high (gives me more stable framerate) with v-sync on and mouse smoothing off. What's the difference between very high and extreme? It looks almost exactly the same except for motion blur and AA.

Much better shadows (less visible transitions, better filtering, more shadow casting lights) and much less popin are the two most obvious differences. Most other shaders and effects are all ran at higher precision as well.

Top Bottom