• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

-Yeti said:
This is conflicting. The PS3 demo looked and played like poop, yet these videos make it look really good.

What's going on?!?
That's an awesome avatar.

The demo was just a multi-player demo. What we're witnessing in these vids is the glorious single-player campaign.

ZeroRay said:
The Haze guys worked on the multiplayer.
That too, lol.

Khronikos

Banned
Is there any reason to believe that the UK team is using a different engine beyond what is normal for multiplayer. I find that a little hard to believe considering every other game I've played basically looks the same with some improvements here or there. But if it does improve I look forward to Digital Foundry and an article that further explains what everyone is arguing about. Once that comes I think we can all relax at the IQ of this title and look back more objectively. If the single was awesome and technically pleasing I have no problem buying for cheap.

Mrbob

Heavy said:
The day of reckoning is approaching, my friend.

Three more days to go because today's already over. It's also the start of the weekend so Saturday and Sunday don't really count, so basically it's just one day (Monday) till Crysis 2 arrives on our doorsteps. Like 20 minutes when you think about it.

Time to bow to the masters again. I need one of those "My Body is Ready!" gifs at my disposal.

leng jai said:
The PS3 footage is gorgeous...what the fuck is going on?!?

Crytek happened!

MMaRsu

Khronikos said:
I can't help but snicker at your internetz banter that makes you out to be some kind of special. Facepalm. Mmk there Mr. Bieber. This stuff is beyond hilarious and it continues with these personal diatribes. This one from Kydd BlaZe lol. Keep on I guess....

How about we rearrange your sentence to make you look somewhat sophisticated. 'I can't help but be annoyed by the fact that whatever he says seems to be negative about the game.' That's all you really need there Chiefton. Nobody gives a fuck that you don't like my posts. A wall of text is considered a fucking paragraph for those of us who know how to read.

Trying too hard. Really? Where do you people get all this bullshit lingo. Grow up. Some of us are educated and going into our thirties and we don't give a fuck about junior or senior or what have you except that there are rules with new members not melting down or being warned or whatever. And who says I haven't got 3 accounts on GAF? As if you'd have any fucking clue.

Listen dude, what the fuck is wrong with you? All posts I'VE seen from you are mostly ridiculous.

Now you're insulting good people like Kydd Blaze?

SMH

I don't actually own the game (yet, got it pre-ordered). Long story short, I'm staff at a LAN Party which has EA as partner, so if we host a LAN Party the weekend before a big game comes out, we usually get it the Thursday or Friday before to use as either showoff or in actual tournaments during the weekend. I got to play FIFA10 PC and NFS Shift days before too, for example. EA also gives some games as prizes for their own games' tournaments (but mostly games that are already one year old), no Crysis 2 as prize for any platform.

The settings menus are the same as far as I can tell, same presets, nothing new. Not sure if day 1 patch is gonna change any of that, there's a chance, given the feedback, that they'll actually include something more in there. Hopefully they do.

Notes: SPOILERS MAYBE. This is the PC version with 360 controller. They're downsized a bit, from 1680x1050 (this isn't high-res picture thread so I'm trying to keep them small). Specs are Nvidia GTX285 OC, Core i7 920 @ 2.8Ghz, 3GB RAM @ 1333Mhz. Running Hardcore at said resolution, 30-60fps. 60fps all the time at Advanced (and the only difference it some pop in).

This game looks stunning.

crysis21.png

crysis22.png

crysis23.png

crysis24.png

crysis25.png

crysis26.png

crysis27.png

crysis28.png

Khronikos

Banned
The night time stuff indeed looks very good. A change of pace from the ultra bright KZ3 that is for sure. I might as well get a PC as I don't think I will be satisfied with anything else. Those screens look nice as they always do on the high end.

Kydd BlaZe

Khronikos said:
I can't help but snicker at your internetz banter that makes you out to be some kind of special. Facepalm. Mmk there Mr. Bieber. This stuff is beyond hilarious and it continues with these personal diatribes. This one from Kydd BlaZe lol. Keep on I guess....

How about we rearrange your sentence to make you look somewhat sophisticated. 'I can't help but be annoyed by the fact that whatever he says seems to be negative about the game.' That's all you really need there Chiefton. Nobody gives a fuck that you don't like my posts. A wall of text is considered a fucking paragraph for those of us who know how to read.

Trying too hard. Really? Where do you people get all this bullshit lingo. Grow up. Some of us are educated and going into our thirties and we don't give a fuck about junior or senior or what have you except that there are rules with new members not melting down or being warned or whatever. And who says I haven't got 3 accounts on GAF? As if you'd have any fucking clue.

See...this is the shit i'm talking about right here.

You sound like a pretentious douchebag crying for attention with your lame ass, overwrought retorts. Calm the fuck down, buddy.

EDIT: Just saw the PC screenshots. Man, sometimes I really wish I was a PC gamer :/

Yes, yes, glorious single player footage. Even PS3 version is actually looking hot!

Now this is the Crysis I yearned for, none of that multiplayer mess.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I love the shift in tone this thread has taken over the last few pages. Crytek should really have released an SP demo, a lot more positivity would have come out of it.

RoboPlato said:
I love the shift in tone this thread has taken over the last few pages. Crytek should really have released an SP demo, a lot more positivity would have come out of it.

The decision not to was mind-boggling.

Kydd BlaZe

RoboPlato said:
Indeed.

The multiplayer and singleplayer portions of the game are being handled by different teams and it really shows. The sad thing is that Crytek seem intent on pushing the multiplayer as the game's major selling point, and it's doing nothing but backfiring for them.

iam220

-bakalhau- said:

yuck. Very unflattering. That config better be un-encrypted. Tmporal aa does not lend itself to screenshots. Amongst other things.

Do you have af enabled? Or is that the blur that's making everything look like crap in the near distance?

Khronikos

Banned
Kydd BlaZe said:
See...this is the shit i'm talking about right here.

You sound like a pretentious douchebag crying for attention with your lame ass, overwrought retorts. Calm the fuck down, buddy.

EDIT: Just saw the PC screenshots. Man, sometimes I really wish I was a PC gamer :/

Well, that was better than facepalm. It's not really pretentious though and no I don't want any attention it's the opposite. I don't take much time to write out these little paragraphs nor am I going to change the way I sound to suit people other than to obey the faqs and mods. I know the go around here. I have no real problem with you.

My problem is that criticism is not being accessed very objectively, at least in the case of the PS3 game. Some of my comments are being taken way out of context so I have to respond to some of those things.

In the other thread there are PLENTY of more horrid and depreciatory comments than I have ever made about this game. The two threads really are quite different and that is fine. As I said I am going to wait for Digital Foundry but every time I pop into a high res thread with PC shots I have to kick myself. I need another year before I drop on a new PC tho.

I will also say that after the multi demo I cannot get that shit out of my head it looked so bad. I never liked the comparisons with Crytek and how they ran their mouths and even disparaged some of the devs they clearly have yet to match. Single Player may turn out different but it's only a part of the game for 60 dollars, a small part imo.

Mrbob

Khronikos said:
I will also say that after the multi demo I cannot get that shit out of my head it looked so bad. I never liked the comparisons with Crytek and how they ran their mouths and even disparaged some of the devs they clearly have yet to match. Single Player may turn out different but it's only a part of the game for 60 dollars, a small part imo.

Disagree. The campaign of the original Crysis was one of the best I've played.

Dat youtube!

You've got to laugh at the turnaround that might take place here - this game is definitely a contender for best console fps graphics regardless of system, and possibly best graphics period. I mean what's the bar with console fps, Metro 2033 / Halo Reach on 360 and the Killzone twins on PS3? Crytek might just deliver on those boastful claims after all...

More importantly, I'm excited because the gameplay here looks fun! Sandbox combat with superpowers?

F yes.

x3sphere

Khronikos said:

For me, single player is the only reason I'm buying this. Couldn't care less about multi really.

jackdoe

blazinglazers said:
Dat youtube!

You've got to laugh at the turnaround that might take place here - this game is definitely a contender for best console fps graphics regardless of system, and possibly best graphics period. I mean what's the bar with console fps, Metro 2033 / Halo Reach on 360 and the Killzone twins on PS3? Crytek might just deliver on those boastful claims after all...
Let's be fair. That MP demo was one of the worst pieces of gameplay I've ever had the displeasure of trying. It's no wonder it turned people off. SP is a definite improvement over anything the MP offered.

RoboPlato said:

With the way gaming is going these days, trying to force itself to be more social and forcing multiplayer modes into everything, it wasn't too surprising. But really, it was probably a good idea they did that too considering the amount of bugs and crashes the console versions went through. Better to identify and fix them all now than on launch.

Wow, they may have actually done it. PC version looks slick, console versions look damned good too. Environments do look a lot more claustrophobic than in Crysis but the flexibility of the combat seems to be mostly intact. I also liked the alien tentacle-dreads for some reason. Slimy.

If there's a DX11 patch early I'm back on board.

Hardly anyone cared about Crysis 1 MP, it was pretty much barren servers and rarely talked about. The SP was the star. If you are looking at Crysis for a MP shooter, you will probably end up disappointed even from the demo impressions which don't seem like much of an improvement.

Peterthumpa

So where's everybody saying that the PC version would suck and blah blah blah?
I'll forgive you all if you post a Crysis 2 retail box with a big smile and a note written "owned".

nah, jut kidding, but now I think everybody believes in Crytek again

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Crysis has always been SP oriented. I am impressed on the PC side if this is not even with DX11.

Gonna probably re-preorder if this holds up.

Kydd BlaZe

Khronikos said:
In the other thread there are PLENTY of more horrid and depreciatory comments than I have ever made about this game. The two threads really are quite different and that is fine. As I said I am going to wait for Digital Foundry but every time I pop into a high res thread with PC shots I have to kick myself. I need another year before I drop on a new PC tho.

I'm fairly certain that you have seen the recent singleplayer videos posted in this thread, as well as in the other thread. The PS3 version looks just fine. I do, however agree with you that the multiplayer demo was less than desireable. In fact, I was ready to write the game off myself until I came across these recent videos. As it has been stated before, the singleplayer and multiplayer portions of the game are handled by two different teams and the difference is almost night and day. I'm not sure how you feel about said videos, but I am thoroughly impresssed and maintain the opinion that Crysis 2 is without a doubt one of the best looking console games around.

jackdoe

On another note, I spent my $60 on the wrong EA game. Crysis 2's SP vids have me more excited than the thirteen hours I've put into Dragon Age 2. Damnit.

felipepl said:
So where's everybody saying that the PC version would suck and blah blah blah?
I'll forgive you all if you post a Crysis 2 retail box with a big smile and a note written "owned".

nah, jut kidding, but now I think everybody believes in Crytek again

Pfft as if any self-respecting PC gamer buys retail =D

WTF!!

I don't remember ever pre-ordering this game... but apparently I did 11 months ago, and it shipped today.

Oh well, for $43.65 after tax and shipping, I won't complain. I probably saw a deal on slickdeals and pre-ordered on a whim.

I was probably drunk.

2i0d5sh.png

If the ini files are not encrypted count me back in as day 1. I am happy to admit ownage believe me. I REALLY want this game to be great and if the files needed to customize it are accessible I'm jumping in.

So, these videos of Singleplayer are making me really consider buying this game. I just have one question though.

Which version (besides PC) would be the best option? I would at least like to dabble in the Multiplayer if it somehow gets better.

Mrbob

-Yeti said:
So, these videos of Singleplayer are making me really consider buying this game. I just have one question though.

Which version (besides PC) would be the best option? I would at least like to dabble in the Multiplayer if it somehow gets better.

PS3 multi player looks busted, so if this is a factor it would be:

PC > 360 > PS3

jackdoe said:
Let's be fair. That MP demo was one of the worst pieces of gameplay I've ever had the displeasure of trying. It's no wonder it turned people off. SP is a definite improvement over anything the MP offered.
I understand that the GAF hate machine went into overdrive and that our PC betters have some super legit grievances, but I thought the multi (once it would actually let me connect on 360) was pretty great. It felt like COD and Reach had a baby, a slightly soft but gorgeous looking baby with badass powers and nice anti-camping incentives.

I'm excited man, I'm hot-jammin' over here!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
LovingSteam said:
If the ini files are not encrypted count me back in as day 1. I am happy to admit ownage believe me. I REALLY want this game to be great and if the files needed to customize it are accessible I'm jumping in.
Someone absolutely needs to look into that. It's looking better of course. They should never have hid this away. More direct PC footages!

Top Bottom