• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Last Hope said:
I just want to know, what will PC gamers cling on to now? I think almost all the big name PC developers have "sold out." Sure Blizzard is a big name but they do not make FPS nor do they make games that require a top of the line PC to play.

BF3 looks to be made for the PC but Dice is far from a PC exclusive developer. By my count, all big name FPS developers have "sold out."

And sold out they did. Who wouldn't want to put their resources where the money is?

PC gamers must want tax incentives for PC developers.

i23td46uiq.jpg

Sethos

Banned
iNvidious01 said:
wait so who is actually disappointed with crysis 2

I must confess myself disappointed. Story was rubbish, graphically we barely moved and gameplay wise it feels like a step back. All that could be acceptable had the multiplayer been solid but that's a big clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Nekrono

iNvidious01 said:

I am, well kinda.

Am I disappointed with it as a stand alone game? Hell no, I think it's a good game.

Am I disappointed with it as the sequel of Crysis and being made by Crytek and being called Crysis 2? Yes, definitely.

Red

Nekrono said:
I am, well kinda.

Am I disappointed with it as a stand alone game? Hell no, I think it's a good game.

Am I disappointed with it as the sequel of Crysis and being made by Crytek and being called Crysis 2? Yes, definitely.
Same.

Nekrono said:
I am, well kinda.

I think Crysis 2 is quite good but I totally agree with your assessment.

LQX

Nekrono said:
I am, well kinda.

Some of you really over rate Crysis one. It was not that amazing to discount this as a proper sequel.

iNvid02

so basically for some fans of crysis 1 it never really lived up to it all
i really doubt any non crysis fans are disappointed though

obviously if you've been a fan of something for this long and it set a benchmark back then, it's quite impossible for a sequel to live up to the hype. same thing gonna happen with duke i think

Nekrono

Like i said, Crysis 2 is a good game, if it had a different name with no reference to the Crysis franchise whatsoever I would say it's a fucking ROCKING KICKASS GAME (bugs aside).

BUT...

When you call it Crysis 2 and Crytek is doing it, you compare it with the first one as you should since it's a sequel after all and if needs to be better than the first one in every or most aspects, and that's when i say that Crysis 2 is disappointing since it falls short on many if not most of those aspects.

Right well this is fucked, seems the rain falling from the sky is tied to the POSTMSAA cvar, which is also related to the SLI/xfire flickering issue.

So it seems that until crytek un-fucks the cvars by say I don't know, opening the rest of them up for editing, if you want the rain sprites you have to smear your screen with Vaseline.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MickeyKnox said:
Only if you 're used to seeing life through foggy lenses.
I just can't fathom how you could prefer jaggies. Proper MSAA or SSAA? Killer. No AA like I'm seeing in a lot of shots? Hideous.

dark10x

I'm flattered that you put that much effort into a reply. :p

Seriously, though, if you sit 6ft from a 50" plasma the results are just clean and smooth. Go watch a CG movie on Blu-ray. It isn't jaggy at all. In fact, it's even softer than Crysis 2.

Sethos

Banned
dark10x said:

Seriously, though, if you sit 6ft from a 50" plasma the results are just clean and smooth. Go watch a CG movie on Blu-ray. It isn't jaggy at all. In fact, it's even softer than Crysis 2.

And if you sit right in front of a 24" LCD, it looks like ass.

dark10x said:

response1u7fs.png

dark10x

Sethos said:
And if you sit right in front of a 24" LCD, it looks like ass.
I've been doing that as well. The jaggies are even worse when sitting close to a monitor.

If you have a monitor with a really high pixel density it might look better OR if you are using a CRT, but on a fixed pixel display it's ugly.

MickeyKnox said:
You do realize that, if my eye sight were bad, then I wouldn't be bothered by the jaggies, right? They'd be a whole lot less offensive if I couldn't see them as they are.

As it stands, the image is just too sharp and messy. Foliage in particular is ruined without AA.

markao

iNvidious01 said:
Those that were disappointed prior to release are still disappointed.

Me, I still dislike the hand holding and removed options, but it is still a great game and one of the better games released in the last year.

dark10x

Sethos said:
Not talking jaggies, talking the shitty Vaseline filter.
I'm talking jaggies. The Vaseline filter does look worse up close, but the jaggies are even worse than that. The image becomes a complete mess.

Sethos

Banned
dark10x said:
I'm talking jaggies. The Vaseline filter does look worse up close, but the jaggies are even worse than that. The image becomes a complete mess.

I'll take jaggies over vaseline any day. Usually I don't have to since I have one of those PCs that lets you add AA but if I had to choose ...

Red

Sethos said:
I'll take jaggies over vaseline any day. Usually I don't have to since I have one of those PCs that lets you add AA but if I had to choose ...
Same. Lack of smoothness is made up for by actually being able to see things.

Facism

MickeyKnox said:
Right well this is fucked, seems the rain falling from the sky is tied to the POSTMSAA cvar, which is also related to the SLI/xfire flickering issue.

So it seems that until crytek un-fucks the cvars by say I don't know, opening the rest of them up for editing, if you want the rain sprites you have to smear your screen with Vaseline.

well, that's supremely spaz of them. Thanks for having a look.

SP good, MP bad.

- Great graphics. Not pushed to the limits, but great nonetheless.

- AI = lol

- Story is fun, but a discussion about any FPS story is ridiculous anyway because everyone thinks it would be better if 'x' was done differently. (And it involves aliens people, did you really expect anything decent? Come on.)

- MP launch is one of the worst ever by a rather large (okay, extremely large) studio. Any developer who makes the CD-Key check on the client side deserves to be laughed at. Oh and the zero anti-cheat. Incredible-facepalm.

- MP feels like Call of Duty with MAXIMUM ARMOR.

- Worst netcode I've seen in a while (Up there with ArmA netcode).

Last Hope said:
I just want to know, what will PC gamers cling on to now? I think almost all the big name PC developers have "sold out." Sure Blizzard is a big name but they do not make FPS nor do they make games that require a top of the line PC to play.

BF3 looks to be made for the PC but Dice is far from a PC exclusive developer. By my count, all big name FPS developers have "sold out."

And sold out they did. Who wouldn't want to put their resources where the money is?

PC gamers must want tax incentives for PC developers.
mcnabbffgx.gif

I'm in the Postmsaa=2 group as well. Putting it at zero gives me a grain filter + very, very noticeable jaggies. Putting it at 2 removes the majority of the aliasing and all the grain with barely a sacrifice in sharpness. It's not even close which one is better (for me).

Tom Penny

CartridgeBlower said:
So how hard is Superhuman? Is it worth playing? Completed the game on Veteran and feel like giving it another go.

It doesn't seem much harder since the A.I. are donkeys. I'm playing the PS3 and I have seen less dummies get stuck. Walk into walls etc..Maybe later on it's harder with the aliens at night?

JoeBoy101

Nekrono said:
I am, well kinda.

Same here. Good summation of my thoughts.

MickeyKnox said:

Fantastic.

I agree with you for the most part, but a little touch of blur in this game goes a long way to helping with jaggies. I think a sweet spot definitely exists between minimizing jaggies to minimizing vaseline.

Heavy said:
I'm in the Postmsaa=2 group as well. Putting it at zero gives me a grain filter + very, very noticeable jaggies. Putting it at 2 removes the majority of the aliasing and all the grain with barely a sacrifice in sharpness. It's not even close which one is better (for me).

What about PostMSAA=1? I find it does little blur harm for alot of jaggie help.

Proc

I recently upgraded my PC and loved playing through Crysis 2. It had weak points but overall it was a great experience that I saw to the end. I thought Crysis 2 was worth playing to the end and was much better than I had anticipated.

Top Bottom