• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Nano Catalyst colection should've been like this:

-At level load randomly assign catalyst to some Aliens.
-Use Nano vison to detect alien carrier.
-Catalyst is distributed in a specific part of the body -weak spot-, that randomly varies.
-To get nano points kill the alien by shooting the weak spot and collect the catalyst.

This is cool because its not hard to implement it into the game. Makes upgrading the suit more involving to the player and its an incentive to break stealth at some points.

I hate to say this because I'm something of a born-again-PC gamer and have really taken to to mouse and keyboard controls in general, but I never, truly really felt at home with Crysis 2's controls.

I think on my next playthrough I'm going to try it with a 360 gamepad and see if that improves the experience for me.

RoboPlato said:
Supersoldier is really easy with Stealth Enhance and a Silenced Nova. I just blew through the first 5 chapters without much of a problem at all.
Same here, I'm worried about the pingers though.

Red

LQX said:
I keep seeing some mention the vaseline look. I played the game without messing with the config files and I did not really look all that shiny at all to me. Is this the result of messing with the config files or some people just over playing it?
The "vaseline look" isn't necessarily shine, it's the glaringly obvious blur filter over the entire screen. Makes everything look as if it's being viewed through wax paper. GTAIV looked similar by default.

It's a consequence of the AA solution being used. You sacrifice clarity to get rid of jaggies.

One of the biggest drawbacks to the blur is that it negates depth, causing the image to look very flat. It's like the difference between 35mm film and cell phone video if that makes sense.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Neuromancer said:
Yeah, me too. For some reason the Pinger fight
in Times Square
always gives me a ton of trouble even though a lot of people think that's the easy one. At least I have some good strategies for the other ones.

The Nature Roy said:
I hate to say this because I'm something of a born-again-PC gamer and have really taken to to mouse and keyboard controls in general, but I never, truly really felt at home with Crysis 2's controls.

I think on my next playthrough I'm going to try it with a 360 gamepad and see if that improves the experience for me.
I used mouse & keyboard for the first chapter then switched to a wireless 360 pad and never looked back. Controls flawlessly. The button layout is really nice and with a game like this that requires switching of powers and use of nano vision, binoculars, other shit, it just feels more natural. Movement around the environment is seamless. Also, the rumble is subtle and not overbearing... perfect! The best thing about this platform is that you have a choice. No need to feel ashamed about using a pad.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Neuromancer said:
They are pretty rough on the hardest difficulty. As I didn't realize I was playing it on the hardest difficulty, I found it especially frustrating. Basically, they can kill you nearly instantly without armor and even with armor, you don't have long. You basically have to cloak and hide from it, line up a shot, pull the trigger and then retreat.

Made for some pretty intense battles, but when you had to fight a bunch of standard Ceph before the pinger it could be frustrating when you failed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
dark10x said:
They are pretty rough on the hardest difficulty. As I didn't realize I was playing it on the hardest difficulty, I found it especially frustrating. Basically, they can kill you nearly instantly without armor and even with armor, you don't have long. You basically have to cloak and hide from it, line up a shot, pull the trigger and then retreat.

Made for some pretty intense battles, but when you had to fight a bunch of standard Ceph before the pinger it could be frustrating when you failed.
I'm glad they didn't go crazy with the number of Pingers you fight. Each of the few fights is unique and challenging and if there were any more they would get boring and frustrating.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I bloody hate the spawn system in this game, it makes no sense. I was playing Gate Keeper so its quite early in the game and there's a fight after a rooftop section.

This battle presented a few annoyances for me.

1) I got past the initial alien section first time easily and noticed only 3 or 4 aliens but then got killed and started all the way at the start! Anyway I wanted to take out the 4 aliens quickly to pick up the nano's so I jumped up the scaffolding onto the window ledge where one was. I was then bombarded by infinite aliens spawning out of thin air. I beat like 6 of them to death but they were coming too fast for my energy to recharge and I eventually tried to run and died.

2) there's a little shop on the right. I basically decided I'd had enough of this little fight so hid out in there cloaked. After awhile though it felt like some aliens could sense me and I moved away across the road and guess what, two aliens wandered in there together and stood around as if looking for me. I also noticed some bullet trails inexplicably coming my way whilst I was in there whenever I decloaked to recharge. I was definitely out of sight so it's really annoying that the AI still seemed to detect me inexplicably.

3) no checkpoint after the roof section! WTF! I ran that shitty little route like 10 times.

Three things which were really annoying from a gameplay and 'sandbox' perspective. I don't feel like I was rewarded for any choice I made here and the risk was quite high with a lot of options.

I´m on my third playthrough, this time in supersoldier, and until now, it´s quite simple using the stealth enhancement, but damn, this game is amazingly fun...

Fake edit: Ehw... what´s the reason for my nanocatalyst points to be in a negative value? ಠ_ಠ

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hunter-Zero said:
I´m on my third playthrough, this time in supersoldier, and until now, it´s quite simple using the stealth enhancement, but damn, this game is amazingly fun...

Fake edit: Ehw... what´s the reason for my nanocatalyst points to be in a negative value? ಠ_ಠ
Same here. 3d playthrough, Supersoldier, -28k Nanocatalyst. My suit it maxed out though. It's really weird.

RoboPlato said:
Same here. 3d playthrough, Supersoldier, -28k Nanocatalyst. My suit it maxed out though. It's really weird.
The game can't do above 33,000 points I am pretty sure. So when you get to that much it goes negative. It should start to get closer to 0 the more points you get.

IOnEI Falcon said:
The game can't do above 33,000 points I am pretty sure. So when you get to that much it goes negative. It should start to get closer to 0 the more points you get.
I have over 100,000 on my 360 version, though.

Nizz

Heavy said:
I used mouse & keyboard for the first chapter then switched to a wireless 360 pad and never looked back. Controls flawlessly. The button layout is really nice and with a game like this that requires switching of powers and use of nano vision, binoculars, other shit, it just feels more natural. Movement around the environment is seamless. Also, the rumble is subtle and not overbearing... perfect! The best thing about this platform is that you have a choice. No need to feel ashamed about using a pad.
I was wondering, if you use a pad on PC does the game adjust the sensitivity setting itself to account for playing with a pad?

How can I explain it.... like if you plug in the pad, does it still seem to be "mouse sensitivity" but with a pad attached? Or does deadzone, acceleration adjust once the game senses the controller? Don't know if I explained that well..

oddworld18 said:
How's the 360 multiplayer community for Crysis 2? I enjoyed the beta, limited as it was, but I wouldn't mind giving this a try. Mostly for the SP obviously, but if the MP community isn't a desolate wasteland it'd make it an easy decision to pick this up (as a corollary, is anywhere currently beating Amazon's $10 off the 360 version?)

there's a good number of folks playing but i doubt it will last very long unless they fix the fucking awful netcode.

Blue Ninja said:
I have over 100,000 on my 360 version, though.
Hmm, weird. I might be wrong then. I taking a guess because in multiplayer once you reach 33,000 points it goes negative and slowing evens back out to 0 with the more positive points you earn.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DennisK4 said:
Da fuck is this QTE bullshit?

Now I have to enable HUD like a damn noob...
Yeah, there's a couple of QTEs, although I don't think they're time reliant at all. Once you do each of the couple types you can probably figure out which keys to push since it's the timing and stuff is pretty obvious
when crawling
. The ones that will be annoying are the
defibrillator
ones since those seem to come out of nowhere.

flippeh

Despite some design changes that made first Crysis great, I'm loving this game, especially in eyefinity. It just sucks that hud elements are on the outer edges and the reflex scope reticle is stretched a bit.

eg.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Stallion Free said:
Lol I pointed that out earlier. Almost all of them just use the triggers and I assume left/right-click.

It's mostly left and right click but the defib is spacebar and occasionally you have to grab a ledge with F.

Red

Why does that guy with a soiled bed and a cardboard box blanket have like two tons of military ordinance in his cubby?

Red

Dennis, how do you unlock those textures? They are nearly universally shit on my rig using the autoexec config in the OP.

Examples:
10dxybl.jpg

29oo742.jpg

29mxekp.jpg

What magic are you guys working that makes this trash go away?

Red

Heavy said:
You can find and cherry pick shots of super low-res textures in every single game, dude, especially when you're a millimeter away lol.
Most of the textures are like that though, this isn't cherry picking. I've been taking shots of everything I can get into cover behind. It's my assumption that these objects in particular should have good texture work, since the player spends so much time up against them.

Stuff like this is just embarrassing:

Nekrono

Crunched said:
Most of the textures are like that though, this isn't cherry picking. I've been taking shots of everything I can get into cover behind. It's my assumption that these objects in particular should have good texture work, since the player spends so much time up against them.

Yep, you kinda need to dig in and pay close attention to those few that are high-res and actually sharp-looking and pretty.

DennisK4 does a great job at this. Especially with his downsampling powers.

Heavy said:
You can find and cherry pick shots of super low-res textures in every single game, dude, especially when you're a millimeter away lol.

It's not hard to find the low res textures. They basically put the good textures where they knew players were going to be keeping their eyes and attention at, while they cut alot of the texture quality everywhere else.

Crunched said:

Stuff like this is just embarrassing:
I don't know why people fail to realize just how much texture work is required in this game. It's nothing like Crysis 1. There's so much more geometry, so many more structures and buildings, sooooo many more objects and shit littered all over the place. All this in an enormous 10-12 game with huge levels.

Red

Heavy said:
I don't know why people fail to realize just how much texture work is required in this game. It's nothing like Crysis 1. There's so much more geometry, so many more structures and buildings, sooooo many more objects and shit littered all over the place. All this in an enormous 10-12 game with huge levels.
Yes, but surely there is an expectation of nice looking textures on objects that the player is meant to interact with.

How do you go from "oh it's easy to cherry pick lol" to "look man you're expecting too much"?

It's a great looking game overall, I'm not disputing that. But the textures are generally very poor.

stuminus3

Crunched said:
Yes, but surely there is an expectation of nice looking textures on objects that the player is meant to interact with.
You interact with all the walls you see?

I honestly don't recall ever seeing anything as hideous as those ugly screens in a regular playthough.

Nekrono

Heavy said:

Well you got that right.

And don't be fooled by the geometry or use it as an excuse for poor/low-res textures on a lot of objects.

There's a shit load of geometry in Crysis as well, shit ton of objects too, and the scale... well it's definitely much larger.

Dennis

Banned
Crunched said:
Dennis, how do you unlock those textures? They are nearly universally shit on my rig using the autoexec config in the OP.
Its just the vanilla textures but I obviously try to take screenshots that look good so any ugly textured ones get discarded.

Red

stuminus3 said:
You interact with all the walls you see?

I honestly don't recall ever seeing anything as hideous as those ugly screens in a regular playthough.
See: biohazard barrel, walls while behind cover. I have plenty more as well.

DennisK4 said:
Its just the vanilla textures but I obviously try to take screenshots that look good so any ugly textured ones get discarded.
Gotcha. I wasn't sure if somehow my autoexec was breaking textures, especially comparing them to the shots you've been posting.

Dennis

Banned
Both Crysis and Crysis 2 have some strangely inconsistent texture work. Some textures are very sharp and nice and others are truly atrocious.

Red

DennisK4 said:
Both Crysis and Crysis 2 have some strangely inconsistent texture work. Some textures are very sharp and nice and others are truly atrocious.
It might be because of the new cover system, but I've been noticing the bad stuff a lot more with C2.

Dennis

Banned
Crunched said:
It might be because of the new cover system, but I've been noticing the bad stuff a lot more with C2.
At least the rock textures are a lot better in Crysis 2! They were really bad in the first game...

Top Bottom