• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Dennis

Banned
Can anyone tell me how far in the game I am?

I have just started on the Semper Fi or Die mission which seems to be Mission 10.

Dennis

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
You still have a long way to go. 19 missions in total.
Hot damn I am only half way through? Feels like I have been playing forever...

Kudos to CryTek for bucking the trend and making a very long SP shooter game.

highrider

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Can anyone tell me how far in the game I am?

I have just started on the Semper Fi or Die mission which seems to be Mission 10.

i guess about 60 percent complete. the last levels really ratchet up the challenge though so i probably spent about half of my playtime on that section.

Casp0r

Banned
DennisK4 said:

Crysis 2 is considered long to you?

... wow ... this is a sad sad day ...

How is a 12+ hour game not long?

Most FPS these days are half that.

I'd actually say Crysis 2 is maybe too long. A level or two less would've been the sweet spot.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Casp0r said:

I think it depends how you play, is definitely a longer fps than most this gen, remember your completion timer doesn't include deaths/retry's, I easily spent 14 hours on the campaign and I was playing pretty casually.

V_Arnold

Casp0r said:

Hello, son. Let me introduce you to the future of where you came from. Welcome in 2011. Here, games are no longer needlessly long, artificially lengthened, boring experiences. Games nowadays - when you choose to play with the right ones -, while does not last as long as old ones, they are much, much more better looking and also much more enjoyable overall.

Welcome to the present.

Cant believe I have to say this. Crysis 2 really IS long, dunno where the hell could someone come to say it is not. 1992? 94? Spending days getting lost in Doom 1? THAT is real content right there...

burgerdog

Casp0r said:

Yeah, okay, because FPS have always been 40 hours long. If Crysis 2 went over 12 hours it would have probably overstayed its welcome.

DennisK4 said:

How you haven't buckled down and beat this already is baffling to me considering how much you like it. I beat it in one sitting on Post-Human the first time.

And I'm already halfway through my no-hud posthuman playthrough and I'm at a faster pace than my first playthrough. Feels amazing btw with the OP's player movement cvars and with motionblur off it's like the game's graphics can finally look smooth in action instead of a huge blur.

highrider

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
How you haven't buckled down and beat this already is baffling to me considering how much you like it.

not everybody has the time ( or desire ) to camp out on their pc or console for the better part of a day, no matter how good the game is. i game after work for a few hours a night so it took me more than a week to beat c2. part of me also enjoys taking my time on a really good game.

highrider

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
7.5 hours on my first run of Posthuman Warrior.

gaah. i see this type of thing where people beat games in such a drastically shorter time than i do and on a higher difficulty. i didn't die much and i played on normal.. this is why i like the more casual gamers on my friends list.. to them i'm the uber gamer dude.

The last 5 years or so i've only really played console games, so experiencing Crysis 2 maxed out on pc with headphones totally rocked my face. I can't even begin to explain how good this shit was, i havent been so immersed in a game since i was a kid.

It wasn't like I was rushing, although the last level I killed about 5 aliens (there's this one door that won't open until you kill some) and just cloaked past the rest. Those towers you stick your hand in or whatever, the aliens just ignore you while you do it as long as you are cloaked when you initiate it.

I'm not sure if the in-game timer factors in reloads or not, because the game did feel a lot longer than 7.5 hours. That's just the time it gave me when I went to replay a level and it's all PLAY TIME: 7 HOUR 35 MINUTES or whatever.

Arcipello

DennisK4 said:

its a LONG ass game... and some of the best visuals are yet to come:D

KKRT00 said:
No its not, I've seen screen with debug mode on with 6m+ polygons [with shadows].

Why people keep forgeting about games like Stalker, Metro, Cryostasis, Total War Napoleon/Shogun 2, Arma 2?

Crysis 1 is demanding mostly because lack of optimizations, not because was 4 years ahead of its time.

And btw, people really think that artists create textures in low resolution? Crytek has high res textures, but they released PC version on 1x DVD like on consoles, thats why textures are mostly identical.
Good points.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why people keep forgeting about games like Stalker, Metro, Cryostasis, Total War Napoleon/Shogun 2, Arma 2?
Only Metro 2033 has a shot at the top. The rest of those games look nowhere near as good as Crysis 1 or 2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dark10x said:
Only Metro 2033 has a shot at the top. The rest of those games look nowhere near as good as Crysis 1 or 2.
I would argue that sea battles in stormy weather in the recent Total War games are easily up there with Crysis. They look fucking insanely good.

Metro 2033 is severely hurt by it's art which blows for the most part.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Stallion Free said:
Metro 2033 is severely hurt by it's art which blows for the most part.

I can't understand how art can blow if like 70% of the game is set in the real locations or something resembling the real locations closely. It's the real locations you don't like then, not art.

nib95

Banned
subversus said:
I can't understand how art can blow if like 70% of the game is set in the real locations or something resembling the real locations closely. It's the real locations you don't like then, not art.

But that's just it. It doesn't look real. Not even close. therein lies the problem.

teepo

subversus said:

why can i literally be standing in the same general location as most photographers, yet my photos don't become as iconic or as well composed as others?

nib95

Banned
subversus said:
I live in Moscow and it looked pretty real to me.

It's a good depiction of it yea, but not even close to actually looking photo real. You can tell from a mile off even from a 2d screenshot it's a video game. Which is why good art has to come in to play to make up for the lack of advancements in other areas.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
subversus said:
Character design.

Heavy said:
To expect high-res textures everywhere is asking way too much. It's like asking for them in GTA4 or something.
Hold on a second there... GTA4 texture work is untouchable, it definitly justifies that big budged and surpasses Crysis 2 in variety and in some cases quality. Texture work of interiors is astonishing.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
4. CEPH have been here all along... what an interesting plot point that has never been in any game before it..
Well, i don't care about plot in a FPS, but point #4 is from the first game.
MickeyKnox said:
There's less geometry in any gven level of C2 compared to the original, confirmable via the leaked editor.
Yes, but most of that geometry number is inflated by vegetation density. Take it for whatever that means.

[Nintex]

I gotta say I'm starting to love and like this game more and more. At first I played all COD like running around shooting stuff. Then I did the Mirror's Edge dance with sliding, jumping and climbing. I recently moved on to Duke Nukem style blowing aliens up with huge guns and ripping their heads while trashing the place. Soon after I discovered the silencers + stealth and I was infiltrating some sort of facility Perfect Dark style. Crysis 2 is like a whole bunch of stuff I like rolled into a single explosion of pure awesomeness. And it feels like it goes on forever which is great too.

[Nintex] said:
I gotta say I'm starting to love and like this game more and more. At first I played all COD like running around shooting stuff. Then I did the Mirror's Edge dance with sliding, jumping and climbing. I recently moved on to Duke Nukem style blowing aliens up with huge guns and ripping their heads while trashing the place. Soon after I discovered the silencers + stealth and I was infiltrating some sort of facility Perfect Dark style. Crysis 2 is like a whole bunch of stuff I like rolled into a single explosion of pure awesomeness. And it feels like it goes on forever which is great too.
Exactly how I played. My playstyle would change from level to level. There's so much variety in the gameplay. There is no other franchise like this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone catch that Youtube video showing the first level of Crysis 1 running on PS3?

Someone hacked it into the game somehow. It looks pretty messed up (lighting, shading, and other glitches) and there are no enemies or prefabs, but it works. Foliage is properly interactive even. With so much data missing I'm surprised it loads at all.

Don't know if I should link to it as he is using a modded PS3 to run it.

KKRT00

dark10x said:
The rest of those games look nowhere near as good as Crysis 1 or 2.
How do You define it? By art? Because every of those games do something Crysis dont: Massive scale, tessellation, volumetric lighting, physic based particles etc. and they also has most of Crysis features

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dark10x said:
Anyone catch that Youtube video showing the first level of Crysis 1 running on PS3?

Someone hacked it into the game somehow. It looks pretty messed up (lighting, shading, and other glitches) and there are no enemies or prefabs, but it works. Foliage is properly interactive even. With so much data missing I'm surprised it loads at all.

If they release the editor it will be interesting to see how fast the first half of Crysis 1 is ported/remade. I think that would be an enjoyable experience.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Stallion Free said:
Character design.

um, I have to agree.

nib95 said:
It's a good depiction of it yea, but not even close to actually looking photo real. You can tell from a mile off even from a 2d screenshot it's a video game. Which is why good art has to come in to play to make up for the lack of advancements in other areas.

I thought art is all about "depiction". Environments were great, characters could have a better work, but they were ok to me.

Miggytronz

RoboPlato said:
It's totally fine. I've been playing on PS3 and it looks great and I'm having a blast.

x2

Im going through with my 2nd playthrough on Super Soldier and its tough yet very very enjoyable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
dark10x said:

I'm pretty sure you can link to videos of hacks. I'm really curious to see this.

Grisby

Took me a long ass time. Felt like a journey. Love those type of games.

Definitely one of the longest FPS's to come out with in the past year. However, I could see you finishing it quicker if you didn't search for collectibles or stealthed through most of the fights.

Refreshment.01 said:
Hold on a second there... GTA4 texture work is untouchable, it definitly justifies that big budged and surpasses Crysis 2 in variety and in some cases quality. Texture work of interiors is astonishing.

GTA4 has nice sharp textures on PC, but it is pretty much all flat and lifeless once you get close, there is no texturing or geometry to anything. It looks nice from a distant but up close it looks awful.

Top Bottom