• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Grisby said:
Took me a long ass time. Felt like a journey. Love those type of games.

Definitely one of the longest FPS's to come out with in the past year. However, I could see you finishing it quicker if you didn't search for collectibles or stealthed through most of the fights.
Yeah, on my Supersoldier run I've been stealthing through most of it and it goes by really quickly. My first playthrough was about 12 hours and felt awesome. Stealth is kind of overpowered to the point where you can basically skip sections of the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
subversus said:
um, I have to agree.

I thought art is all about "depiction". Environments were great, characters could have a better work, but they were ok to me.
The environments look great, but character models look so bad that they are severe immersion killers for me. I try not to look at the faces, but goddamn.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Stallion Free said:
The environments look great, but character models look so bad that they are severe immersion killers for me. I try not to look at the faces, but goddamn.
I thought the facial and movement animation of humans was a bit lacking but the actual faces and characters looked good. What bothered you about them?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RoboPlato said:
I thought the facial and movement animation of humans was a bit lacking but the actual faces and characters looked good. What bothered you about them?
They all look terrible? I mean atrocious. A good generation behind the modeling of everything else in the game which means they stick out like a sore thumb.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
KKRT00 said:
How do You define it? By art? Because every of those games do something Crysis dont: Massive scale, tessellation, volumetric lighting, physic based particles etc. and they also has most of Crysis features
For me it's the mix of technology and art. I feel that Crytek simply nailed it by delivering competitive technology with fantastic art direction.

It's not really fair to compare the strategy games, but STALKER and Cryostasis both exhibit very uneven visuals across the board. STALKER-CoP may feature some DX11 options, but even with tessellation, it's models end up looking a whole lot worse than those in Crysis 1 and 2.

We have DX11 with tessellation
stalker1.jpg

How about Cryostasis?
cryostasis2010090602170.jpg

Here we have DX9 without
crysis22011031612050078.jpg

STALKER can look beautiful, but a lot of the time you are simply left with this kind of thing.

n_i_hud_for_stalker_cop_by_thesmurth-d31fi2s.jpg

ARMA 2 can also look pretty solid and it's doing a whole lot of things, but it just isn't consistent.

arma2_1.jpg

When I say Crysis 1 and 2 look better I'm talking about the package as a whole. The quality of their modelling, the animation, the post processing, the art direction, and the technology powering it all. There are games with advantages in specific areas over the Crysis series, but they fail to deliver such a consistently beautiful experience.

dark10x

Yup, 5-10 years ago 9 hour campaigns were considered way short.
The bar has been lowered a few too many times.
Wait, which campaigns from 5-10 years ago were more than 9 hours?

It certainly wasn't common by any stretch of the imagination.

Stallion Free said:
I didn't think they were bad at all. Certainly not below average for games these days.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dark10x said:
For me it's the mix of technology and art. I feel that Crytek simply nailed it by delivering competitive technology with fantastic art direction.

It's not really fair to compare the strategy games, but STALKER and Cryostasis both exhibit very uneven visuals across the board. STALKER-CoP may feature some DX11 options, but even with tessellation, it's models end up looking a whole lot worse than those in Crysis 1 and 2.
But but but but Total War nails the mix of tech and art. Those games are astonishing. Too bad there are so many shit screens of the latest on in the screenshot thread.

dark10x said:
Anyone catch that Youtube video showing the first level of Crysis 1 running on PS3?

Someone hacked it into the game somehow. It looks pretty messed up (lighting, shading, and other glitches) and there are no enemies or prefabs, but it works. Foliage is properly interactive even. With so much data missing I'm surprised it loads at all.

Don't know if I should link to it as he is using a modded PS3 to run it.

Hey, i´m pretty curious about this

KKRT00

@dark10x
I wasnt talking about Crysis 2, only about Crysis 1 and character models dont define how game looks.

Crysis 1 has awful LOD changes [warhead too], lack of anizo because of POM, and many bad textures.

And bad screenshots dont show games, just like this ones dont show how Crysis 1 really looks:
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj161/Wulfen1/Crysis2010-03-1801-48-41-73.jpg?t=1301794861
http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/video/sapphire/hd4870x2_2GB/Images/Crysisx8.jpg
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/5231/villagevanillati5.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj161/Wulfen1/Untitled-1-2.jpg?t=1301795066

Sorry for C2 comparison, but those arent my screens.

End of OT. There are games that reached Crysis 1 quality and games that surpassed it.

Dennis

Banned
I don't know whats happening but someone mentioned STALKER: CoP and ARMA 2 so now I am morally and physically compelled to post screenshots of those two games.

BattleMonkey said:
GTA4 has nice sharp textures on PC, but it is pretty much all flat and lifeless once you get close, there is no texturing or geometry to anything. It looks nice from a distant but up close it looks awful.
Doesn't happen with interiror textures, detail is maintained even with close inspection, if its installed on your PC right now check it out.

Sorry but maybe i didn't worded the other post correctly. First, i was comparing GTA4 PC textures to Crysis 2. Second, in texture variety/quality ratio GTA4 is above anything i could think about. Of course there are games with more detailed textures, that i won't deny. Metro 2033 is elite in that respect.

Refreshment.01 said:
Doesn't happen with interiror textures, detail is maintained even with close inspection, if its installed on your PC right now check it out.

Sorry but maybe i didn't worded the other post correctly. First, i was comparing GTA4 PC textures to Crysis 2. Second, in texture variety/quality ratio GTA4 is above anything i could think about. Of course there are games with more detailed textures, that i won't deny. Metro 2033 is elite in that respect.

Again the textures in GTA4 are amazing, but there is no depth at all to them. They are pretty much just tons of flat high resolution images, because the games third person and outward view it is fine. But in a FPS, GTA4 texture work would be laughable. You see a pretty building in GTA4 and then when you get close you find that the doors and such are nothing more than flat wallpaper and it comes off as real odd since it's so high resolution and great looking, but there is no bump mapping, texturing, or depth to any of it.

DennisK4 said:
[http://www.abload.de/img/arma22009-06-2318-47-3kujt.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/xrengine2010-02-1220-0su55.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]
Too bad only minuscule portions of the game have that quality :) More impresive than that, in Stalker, i find the storms at night. Although to correctly convey how incredible the scene looks you need motion. Maybe you should make some GIFs of that.
[QUOTE=BattleMonkey]Again the textures in GTA4 are amazing, but there is no depth at all to them. They are pretty much just tons of flat high resolution images, because the games third person and outward view it is fine. But in a FPS, GTA4 texture work would be laughable. You see a pretty building in GTA4 and then when you get close you find that the doors and such are nothing more than flat wallpaper and it comes off as real odd since it's so high resolution and great looking, but there is no bump mapping, texturing, or depth to any of it.[/QUOTE]
Again that´s what i point you to interiors textures because they retain detail even when looked up close. Exterior ones look kind of flat, yes, because Rockstar refrained to use normals or paralax. But anyway, Rockstar with GTA4 textures has the source material, with some more advanced effects they will look even better.

Also i wasn't sugesting GTA4 textures to be used for a FPS. But giving the genre of the game and the scale of the enviroment it tries to replicate few things compares to it right now. Even it gives a run for its money to other games with less texture variety and with more limited enviroments.

I look forward to the day when all games can look as good as COP does at all times. It's near photorealistic in places - it's a shame that that visual fidelity is only in certain areas and the rest of the game can look less than stellar.

Wondering about in the STALKER games with no HUD is probably the most immersive thing ever. Almost looks like real life at times. More incredibly, I got a solid 60fps too. They so could've squeezed much more in there!

Red

Casp0r said:
Crysis 2 is considered long to you?

... wow ... this is a sad sad day ...
He's playing with the HUD off. I'm doing the same. I've put 9 hours into it and I've just started level 7. When the HUD's off, a lot more time is spent looking for objectives, and you naturally have to take the game slower to look for tactical options and keep a constant eye on enemies through the binoculars. Honestly I can't imagine playing any other way, it improves the game tenfold. Reminds me of Assassin's Creed, which is likewise vastly improved without the HUD.

Post human + no HUD is like a whole new game, and I'm really glad I chose to this on my first play through.

dark10x

Crunched said:
He's playing with the HUD off. I'm doing the same. I've put 9 hours into it and I've just started level 7. When the HUD's off, a lot more time is spent looking for objectives, and you naturally have to take the game slower to look for tactical options and keep a constant eye on enemies through the binoculars. Honestly I can't imagine playing any other way, it improves the game tenfold. Reminds me of Assassin's Creed, which is likewise vastly improved without the HUD.

Post human + no HUD is like a whole new game, and I'm really glad I chose to this on my first play through.
OK, I've been seeing this mentioned quite a bit and I'm interested in trying.

How does one disable the HUD?

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Is anyone else really enjoying MP but finding it hard to learn the maps? I am really liking the maps, lots variety and really gorgeous but I can't seem to figure out where the hell I am going half the time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Crunched said:

I found AC 1/2 unplayable without the minimap because of how hard it was to find *anything* without pausing and checking the full-size map.

Crysis 2 is excellent without the hud though and actually playable.

markao

DennisK4 said:
Add this line to the autoexec.cfg:

hud_hide = 1

In case you find yourself in an other QTE event, or for those that just want to take screenshots, add this to the autoexec.cfg instead ;)

bind 8 Hud_Hide 1
bind 7 Hud_Hide 0

Red

Stallion Free said:
I found AC 1/2 unplayable without the minimap because of how hard it was to find *anything* without pausing and checking the full-size map.

Crysis 2 is excellent without the hud though and actually playable.
What's nice about the AC series is you can choose exactly what parts of the display to disable. No idea why more games don't follow suit.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Crunched said:
What's nice about the AC series is you can choose exactly what parts of the display to disable. No idea why more games don't follow suit.
Yeah, it would have been nice to have that in Crysis 2 for just the QTEs. The fix above though seems like it will do for now.

dark10x said:

ARMA 2 can also look pretty solid and it's doing a whole lot of things, but it just isn't consistent.

When I say Crysis 1 and 2 look better I'm talking about the package as a whole. The quality of their modelling, the animation, the post processing, the art direction, and the technology powering it all. There are games with advantages in specific areas over the Crysis series, but they fail to deliver such a consistently beautiful experience.
It would also help if you weren't posting shots of arma on some ridiculously low setting.

22C3715552F0BAB066CB14219B4893CA9C1F15B8

Not a Jellyfish said:
Is anyone else really enjoying MP but finding it hard to learn the maps? I am really liking the maps, lots variety and really gorgeous but I can't seem to figure out where the hell I am going half the time.

I've seen you on the halo forums. Give it time, just as easy to learn as halo maps. I've probably played 200 games total and know all 12 maps pretty well at this point. And yes, the multiplayer is awesome!

edit: I don't know if it has the staying power of halo, but if they get the network problems fixed I think it will be pretty close.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oh cool, now we're at the point where we start sharing screens from other games. Lets get some Killzone, Uncharted, Gears, etc here for the console versions too!

This is complete and utter sarcasm.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
AllIsOneIsNone said:
I've seen you on the halo forums. Give it time, just as easy to learn as halo maps. I've probably played 200 games total and know all 12 maps pretty well at this point. And yes, the multiplayer is awesome!

edit: I don't know if it has the staying power of halo, but if they get the network problems fixed I think it will be pretty close.

Feel free to add for some games if your playing on 360. My problem right now is I can't really call anything out. I am at the point where I can easily get to the high vantage points of maps but other than that I can't tell anyone where I am.

RoboPlato said:
Oh cool, now we're at the point where we start sharing screens from other games. Lets get some Killzone, Uncharted, Gears, etc here for the console versions too!

This is complete and utter sarcasm.
Yeah, this page is crazy lol.

MickeyKnox said:
It would also help if you weren't posting shots of arma on some ridiculously low setting.

Even everything maxed, ARMA 2 is a wildly inconsistent visual presentation, and one of the worst optimized games out there.

Not a Jellyfish said:
Feel free to add for some games if your playing on 360. My problem right now is I can't really call anything out. I am at the point where I can easily get to the high vantage points of maps but other than that I can't tell anyone where I am.

Yep, 360; xbl: EsotericDaemon. I need to get a new mic, still definitely down for some matches. Soldiers' voices randomly call out where the enemies are, so learning those locations will help you on that front, and will teach you the widely accepted names of those specific areas.

Crunched said:

My first playthrough was on veteran with the HUD but now I'm playing on post human without the HUD. The only real difference I feel from a gameplay standpoint is that you don't know where your energy or ammo is at. You can still tag enemies with your binoculars without having a direct line of sight on them and they'll forever be tagged on screen as if you had a HUD. Sort of an aside but that allows you to exploit the game's weak AI with steal and sprint to pick people off one by one or avoid encounters entirely. I'm sure if I'd played through it originally with these settings it would be a bit different but I still feel I need to artificially limit myself (even further than turning off the HUD) to enjoy encounters and squeeze some difficulty out of the game. That said, on this playthrough I have been reloading a lot just to run through encounters multiple times and try new things, but knowing I have these crutches in my back pocket (overpowered stealth, armor, binocular tagging) kind of detract from the intensity.

Really hoping we see some mods or configs similar to those in Crysis 1 that tweak the AI or suit mechanics.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Lake Minnetonka said:
My first playthrough was on veteran with the HUD but now I'm playing on post human without the HUD. The only real difference I feel from a gameplay standpoint is that you don't know where your energy or ammo is at. You can still tag enemies with your binoculars without having a direct line of sight on them and they'll forever be tagged on screen as if you had a HUD. Sort of an aside but that allows you to exploit the game's weak AI with steal and sprint to pick people off one by one or avoid encounters entirely. I'm sure if I'd played through it originally with these settings it would be a bit different but I still feel I need to artificially limit myself (even further than turning off the HUD) to enjoy encounters and squeeze some difficulty out of the game. That said, on this playthrough I have been reloading a lot just to run through encounters multiple times and try new things, but knowing I have these crutches in my back pocket (overpowered stealth, armor, binocular tagging) kind of detract from the intensity.

Really hoping we see some mods or configs similar to those in Crysis 1 that tweak the AI or suit mechanics.
Crutches are for lame people.

dark10x

BattleMonkey said:
Even everything maxed, ARMA 2 is a wildly inconsistent visual presentation, and one of the worst optimized games out there.
Pretty much.

Those who responded with pics missed my point completely. I don't think those games look bad at all (they can look great), rather, I find them very inconsistent. STALKER is especially bad in this regard. It can look really incredible in a select few areas, but a lot of what you see is pretty ugly.

Red

Lake Minnetonka said:

See, the difference is you already know where all the objectives are so you know the most efficient routes to complete each mission. Playing without the HUD for a first run through is a much different experience.

I agree about the AI still being easy to exploit, however. In that regard, this game does a little bit too good of a job making you feel like an overpowered badass.

At least it requires you to scout out large areas for weapons and ammo. Binocs are a must with no HUD, I imagine it's quite different when you have those neon octagonals showing you every tactical option.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So if I copy the variables in the OP my screens will look crisp and yummie?

MysticX

well, I finally completed the game on Soldier difficulty :phew: took it´s time though, and I absolutely loved it, I thought the ending was a bit dissapointing, that is specifically the final chapter,
I kept creeping on the thought of a boss fight like in Crysis 1, but we only got those 4 elite creepers which were easy to kill with a jaw

and hey...what´s the idea with DX9? Come on...this is 2011, today Crysis 1 still looks good, and it had DX10, I mean...wtf? if anything, it´s the consolas fault here if we never see a DX11 patch for the game, or Crysis 2 HD
fuck you crappy 360 and PS3

on a side note, this game is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY much easier than Crysis 1, I remember giving up on Crysis 1 and started cheating to finish the damn thing.

MysticX said:
well, I finally completed the game on Soldier difficulty :phew: took it´s time though, and I absolutely loved it, I thought the ending was a bit dissapointing, that is specifically the final chapter,
I kept creeping on the thought of a boss fight like in Crysis 1, but we only got those 4 elite creepers which were easy to kill with a jaw

and hey...what´s the idea with DX9? Come on...this is 2011, today Crysis 1 still looks good, and it had DX10, I mean...wtf? if anything, it´s the consolas fault here if we never see a DX11 patch for the game, or Crysis 2 HD
fuck you crappy 360 and PS3

on a side note, this game is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY much easier than Crysis 1, I remember giving up on Crysis 1 and started cheating to finish the damn thing.

Maybe we're being a little hasty here. In your case it seems the school system should be blamed WAAAAAAAAAAAAY much morzies than video game consoles.

Animator

I like how everybody is trying to shit on crysis 2 because it is not dx11 but throwing up boners at the witcher 2 thread which is also a dx9 game.

Dennis

Banned
Animator said:
I like how everybody is trying to shit on crysis 2 because it is not dx11 but throwing up boners at the witcher 2 thread which is also a dx9 game.
Hardly 'everyone'. Only idiots would deny that Crysis 2 looks stunning.

Maybe some people expected the game to look as ahead of the curve as the first game but that was obviously not going to happen given their new console focus.

Man

DennisK4 said:
I don't know whats happening but someone mentioned STALKER: CoP and ARMA 2 so now I am morally and physically compelled to post screenshots of those two games.

Give that window some awards.

dark10x

Crytek did a whole lot more with DX9 than most other developers have done with DX11.

So I guess this patch did nothing to fix the cheating done on the PC version. Every time I play now there's some fool running around headshotting everyone with his autoaim.

Top Bottom