• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Red

Heavy said:
The AI is a complete joke in Crysis 2. There's no doubt about that. Just so many shitty glitches... it amazes me the game was shipped like this. Who are their Q&A testers? Any one of us could have played it for them one time through and pointed out these horrendous bugs and these testers probably played it 20 times each. It's ridiculous. Occasionally you see some nice stuff with the aliens... flanking, jumping from ledge to ledge, taking cover, running away, but more often than not you see them running into walls, spinning around in circles, standing there doing nothing. I can't wait till the mod community puts out some AI fixes.

Crysis 1 isn't much better, if at all. Crytek just doesn't give a shit.
In Crysis 1 it was generally a good idea to shoot the last guy in a patrol first, so the soldiers in front of him wouldn't detect you. In Crysis 2, it doesn't matter. They probably won't react either way.

Crysis had good AI. Nothing exceptional, but solid. Crysis 2 is a mess. It would be fine if there were occasional problems, but it's like half or more of all enemies just don't react when you kill their buddies. They just stand there. Or they'll yell out "Prophet's here!" and scratch their asses or something.

I promised you a video a while back of funky alien AI. Still owe that to you. I went through a few levels where I was fighting humans only, so I didn't get a chance to capture any instances. Sometime over the weekend I'll try getting it, but really is it necessary? There have been other examples posted in this thread of exactly what I'm talking about.
kamspy said:
So who can list off a number of better FPS campaigns?
In recent years? I'd say Halo Reach and Crysis 1 both have it beat. Most of us here aren't saying it's bad, just that it's not as good as it could've should've would've been.

RoboPlato said:
The nanocatalyst glitch and the fact that it forgets attachments are also really bad. I love the game but they really need to fix some things.
And apparently they were present in the beta which leaked a couple months before release.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Heavy said:
And apparently they were present in the beta which leaked a couple months before release.
:/

Even if it leaked they could have looked at some of the glitches that were in it and made sure they were fixed. Crytek makes good and beautiful games but they really need to stop being so cocky and take a look at some of the smaller issues.

kamspy

Smokey said:
Anyword on when DX11 is supposed to hit?

If it does come out, I expect the most prolific thing will be horrible performance.

Crunched said:
In recent years? I'd say Halo Reach and Crysis 1 both have it beat. Most of us here aren't saying it's bad, just that it's not as good as it could've should've would've been.

Well that's some rarefied air. I would think we'd celebrate a game that is mentioned with games like that. But come on, you really think Reach is better? It's even more linear and far less combat options. I love me some Reach, but it's not a better campaign then C2. Probably the only FPS with better A.I. though.

Red

kamspy said:
Well that's some rarefied air. I would think we'd celebrate a game that is mentioned with games like that. But come on, you really think Reach is better? It's even more linear and far less combat options. I love me some Reach, but it's not a better campaign then C2. Probably the only FPS with better A.I. though.
Yeah, I think Reach is better. It might be my favorite FPS campaign of all time. The value of most FPSs for me comes through their combat, and Reach has the best, and exactly because of the strength you mention: the excellent AI. It puts all other games to shame. This is also one of the biggest reasons I'm disappointed with C2. Its AI fails, in every regard.

On the PC side of things, Crysis is the clear winner for me. It's the opposite of Reach in a lot of ways, and I love playing them both, but I find myself looking forward to replaying missions in Reach more than I do in Crysis.

I'd also say Reach's levels are a lot more open than Crysis 2's. Some of them absolutely demand vehicles to get through because they're so large. It's linear, sure, but less so.

It's tough to quantify the split between Crysis 2 and the games I mentioned. These past few years we've been getting lots of Call of Duty and Call of Duty clones, and I hold those titles in the absolute highest abhorrence. So there's this huge gap, and yeah Crysis 2 is far ahead of them. But it still trails behind the titles that I've really enjoyed.

It's not that I'm mad or upset about Crysis 2. I'm frustrated. Instead of expanding on the open environments and free flowing tactical options of Crysis 1, it pushes for predetermined tactical routes, going as far as highlighting options for the player on the HUD. It improves on the movement in so many areas, with better gunplay and platforming animations, and yet the player moves much slower and the suit powers are taken less advantage of because the enemy encounters are so haphazard and unsatisfying. It could have been so good, yet is rendered merely good by its design.

I won't argue that it's a bad game, but dammit I wanted more.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
kamspy said:
I think the A.I. is great. Is it breakable? Sure. But how long is the list with better FPS A.I.?
One thing I was thinking about lately is how few FPS have good AI. I still don't think I've played any with better AI than the original FEAR.

Red

kamspy said:
I think the A.I. is great. Is it breakable? Sure. But how long is the list with better FPS A.I.?
I don't think it's excused just because it's content to stand just outside of the shit pile. I'd say FEAR, the Halo series, and Crysis 1 all have better AI. Can't think of anything else, but that's because I can't think of another FPS that has enemies who possess anything remotely resembling intelligence. Crysis 2 at least has creatures that seem to be slightly aware they have roles to play. They are like two steps away from the right on The Evolution of Man; they see these things called grenades. "What is this?" they think. Silly monkeys.

Haven't played much of it, but STALKER seemed to have solid AI as well.

Red

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
- Elements inside the map you are trying to load which are unique to Crysis 1 and use coding (AI, flowgraphs, cutscenes, prefabs, etc) crash the game on PS3, remove all of them in Sandbox 2 till you are only left with static objects (terrain, vegetation, roads, rivers, spawn points, forbidden areas etc)
Ah, that explains it. Putting AI in would have made the game unplayable on PS3.

This is really cool.

demolitio

Smokey said:
Anyword on when DX11 is supposed to hit?
No one knows so it's best to not think about it and try to be surprised when we hear news of it. But I expect the performance to be pretty bad unless they do a great job of implementing it but I don't see that happening.

I've been happy with the performance of DX9 with pretty good graphics after the tweaks so I don't expect DX11 to blow me away or be worth the performance hit.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I played some multiplayer on PC because some lunatic told me it wasn't that bad and the first death I had was by a hacker. Then the next 25 or so were as well. There were about 3 regular deaths sprinkled in there.

What a shitfest. Fuck EA for not going with VAC.

skyfinch

As someone who does not play multiplayer fps very often, can anyone confirm if this is lag? I unload an entire clip into someone, but they are able to kill me with one or two hits. It happens every time I play. Then in the killcam, I notice that every one of my shots missed. Is this lag or do I suck that bad at this game?

skyfinch said:
As someone who does not play multiplayer fps very often, can anyone confirm if this is lag? I unload an entire clip into someone, but they are able to kill me with one or two hits. It happens every time I play. Then in the killcam, I notice that every one of my shots missed. Is this lag or do I suck that bad at this game?
It's the dialup era netcode and hit detection.

Nekrono

NotTarts said:
For anyone interested, here's an analysis of Warhead's AI:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhivQYxCzxw

Not sure if it's better or worse since I haven't played C2.

I stopped watching when i heard them speak in english, maybe he should have played in Delta to really evaluate the A.I.

Although i will say that whatever bad points he could have made about it, i'm 100% sure Crysis 2 has not only worst but they happen waaaay more often than in Crysis.

MickeyKnox said:
Cool hack, but good GOD it's the ultimate proof of how gimped the suit is and how much smaller the levels in the sequel are

Yep, and still people fight this so hard trying to say the opposite it's so funny.

Instead of actually posting and debating this with them and trying to have them realize the truth i'm having a better time just laughing out their posts lol.

I think the smaller but denser maps in C2 are probably a contributing factor to why the A.I. isn't as good. The C1 A.I. wasn't amazing in tight spaces either.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ok, so level files are less protected on PS3 than on PC? I guess extracting them to use with Sandbox 3 editor won't be a problem lol.

Of course you won't see such mods at Crymod but who cares, there will be another site or torrent files available.

MickeyKnox said:
Cool hack, but good GOD it's the ultimate proof of how gimped the suit is and how much smaller the levels in the sequel are

I still remember videos about how Crysis 2 speed more was "the same speed" as C1. Lol. That video has you running sooooooooo slowly when sprinting.

skyfinch said:

yeah that's lag. C2 has horrible netcode and after tonight i think i'm done playing MP.

there's no reason to play this shit when there are plenty of other MP games i can fill the void with.

a shame since i like the game mechanics.

strata8

I honestly don't like the lighting choices that Crytek make.

This took me like 15 minutes to do in CE2 Sandbox:
CrysisTOD1.jpg

CrysisTOD2.jpg

CrysisTOD4.jpg

CrysisTOD5.jpg

CrysisTOD6.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer low-contrast, HDR-image-like lighting over the really overblown lighting that everyone seems to be aiming for.

NotTarts said:

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer low-contrast, HDR-image-like lighting over the really overblown lighting that everyone seems to be aiming for.
nice TOD

Nekrono

NotTarts said:

*Crysis screenshots*

Me too, Crysis 2 lighting is pretty and cool but they overdid it imo, it's too freaking much. Crysis approach is far better and much more impressive, why? Because it's way more realistic and subtle.

It has the right amount of awesome, just perfect.

Why they didn't take the same approach with Crysis 2 baffles me.

subversus

Nekrono said:
Me too, Crysis 2 lighting is pretty and cool but they overdid it imo, it's too freaking much. Crysis approach is far better and much more impressive, why? Because it's way more realistic and subtle.

It has the right amount of awesome, just perfect.

Why they didn't take the same approach with Crysis 2 baffles me.

I don't know I prefer Crysis 2 lighting because it's "overblown". I don't care about "realism" but I see your point. Crysis 2 is supposed to be more cinematic experience than Crysis 1, so I guess that has influenced some of their decisions about lighting.

Erasus

I am impressed that this runs in 1080p on my AMD Radeon 4830 :O

About 30fps in combat aswell.
I like it so far, still pretty open lvls imo. Just after
where you get the armour
I took different routes when I plyed it over. You can just drop down, go around to the right or to the left there is one guy and a tunnel leading around. Pretty good lvl design so far.

Nekrono

subversus said:
I don't know I prefer Crysis 2 lighting because it's "overblown". I don't care about "realism" but I see your point. Crysis 2 is supposed to be more cinematic experience than Crysis 1, so I guess that has influenced some of their decisions about lighting.

Yep, that sounds about right, Crysis 2 seems to try so hard to deliver a Hollywood Blockbuster experience like some movies and just blow you away with cool effects, "awesome" scenes with all kinds of shit flying around, etc, that is just too much and ends up being cheesy and kinda lame just for trying too hard (IMO).

I think it's a good game that looks good and in consoles it's definitely breaking boundries on what can still be done in them without sacrificing performance too much.

I just think the game could have been much better in every aspect, and there are some obvious decisions and approaches they had to make just to 'appeal' a broader audience (and get more sales obviously) that i just wish they wouldn't have made but w/e we can't get all that we want.

JoeBoy101

Having finally beaten the game last night, I have to say, the second half of the game is leaps and bounds better than the first half. Its an even bigger disconnect between than the one between 1st and 2nd for the original Crysis. All those nighttime levels are simply brilliant and I like the structure (so to speak) of the last one.

But yeah, ending was ridiculous and the
making of the suit into a character, in effect Prophet,
is stupid. I really hated how Nomad and Psycho are just ignored from the first game.

Q8D3vil

crysis 2 + 3d vision + custom configure + little more brightness = fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

only real downer is that the rain effect is not there when i use sli :(

Zomba13

Q8D3vil said:
crysis 2 + 3d vision + custom configure + little more brightness = fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

only real downer is that the rain effect is not there when i use sli :(
+ No HUD (Do eeeet).
Only bad part is that the 3D seems a bit shallow even at 100%, much shallower than in other FPSs imo. Still awwwwwwwsome though.

vazel

Banned
skyfinch said:
A shame the game has bad netcode. Running around with the feline is just what I want in an online FPS. I love running and gunning around the map with the mobility the feline gives you.

kinggroin

Banned
Crunched said:
A bit tangential, but I grew up in Astoria and spent a lot of time in Brooklyn and Queens. GTA IV gives the player areas reminiscent of those boroughs, places that typically get neglected by ambitious titles going for the wow effect of Manhattan. It's got a place in my heart for that, and I often found myself getting nostalgic walking or driving through the streets.

Can't argue with that. I'd say Liberty City in GTAIV was crafted with a lot of respect though. The whole thing wasn't one big joke, as funny as parts of it may have been.

C2 though, yeah. Man... it's just not anything at all like New York. The closest we get to a grounded reality is the cathedral, everything else is basically copy and pasted filler.

Astoria huh?

*wipes tear away

I miss being home.

I also agree that gtaiv captures the essence of the more intimate pars of the city, better than any game before it. Walking past Coney Island with the sun setting..... brings back a flood of good memories for me.

Crysis 2 on the other hand is more like when you visit another city in another state, and see parts of it that make you say, "Hey, this place looks kinda like that place back home" except that, you ARE back home.

Rotsu

Neo Member
Am i the only one who really hating the cloak ability in multiplayer? People are abusing and camping with it.

subversus

ACE 1991 said:
Starting my first play through tonight, what difficulty level should I play it on? How easy is normal?

it's easy.

Start on the next difficulty level and bring it down if you feel it's too hard.

NotTarts said:

*images*

Completely agree with you. Having the ability to tone down the HDR and bloom in the C2 config is nice, but it'd be even better if developers didn't approach lighting that way in the first place. Realistic, natural lighting looks beautiful to me but I guess it's not flashy enough to impress the average consumer. Just look at how awesome people thought crazy lens flare was for the longest time.

Nekrono said:
Yep, and still people fight this so hard trying to say the opposite it's so funny.

Instead of actually posting and debating this with them and trying to have them realize the truth i'm having a better time just laughing out their posts lol.
How's your dog doing, bro? I hear Crysis 2 ran over it four or five times the other day.

Top Bottom