• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
dark10x said:
Crytek did a whole lot more with DX9 than most other developers have done with DX11.
That and it performs really well because of it. I can understand PC gamers being annoyed about the lack of graphics options and the fact that the game seems to play better with a controller but DX11 just seems like a "would have been nice" feature.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dennis, you're finally just a few chapters from the most gorgeous and awesome battle in the game. I can't wait to hear your impressions of it and see some screens of it.

Dennis

Banned
Whenever I boot up the game it is with sweaty palms to see if the game had decided to nuke my nanocatalyst account. I lost all of them but then I started earning again and now have 2700.

I want to buy one of those fancy 8000-10000 priced abilities dammit!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DennisK4 said:
Whenever I boot up the game it is with sweaty palms to see if the game had decided to nuke my nanocatalyst account. I lost all of them but then I started earning again and now have 2700.

I want to buy one of those fancy 8000-10000 priced abilities dammit!
I have negative 40k LOL

Thankfully the suit is maxed out already. The thing that really annoys me is that it doesn't save all of my attachments. Most of the ones it forgets I don't care about but the pistol silencer being gone all the time pisses me off.

Arcipello

dennis you are crawling through the game.... honestly, crytek should just add a "photography" mode for the likes of you :p

speaking of which here are a couple a shots i took last week:)

2cym8li.jpg

2eoe1og.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished Supersoldier. It was really easy if you have upgraded stealth and move carefully. I think all of my future playthroughs are going to be on lower difficulties because on Supersoldier it's almost impossible to take them head on and I really like being able to switch between stealth and run and gun.

lantus

RoboPlato said:
Just finished Supersoldier. It was really easy if you have upgraded stealth and move carefully. I think all of my future playthroughs are going to be on lower difficulties because on Supersoldier it's almost impossible to take them head on and I really like being able to switch between stealth and run and gun.

I've noticed this as well, I beat the game once on normal, and am a little over half way through on supersolider. I'm finding it not much more of a challenge, given I do have a maxed out suit, but still the experiences are very similar.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Stitch said:
and it's still more fun than the sequel that isn't really a sequel
I've played Crysis up to the point where you fight the NK leader in the Nanosuit and, at least to that point, it didn't compare at all to the amount of fun I've had with Crysis 2. Once I get a gaming PC I'll give it another shot.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
A glitch that really needs fixing is the goddamn pistol silencer never getting saved.

Crunched said:
Don't think anyone ever said Crysis had great AI.
A ton of people have said great things about Crysis' AI.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Crunched said:
In this thread?
In this thread but more often in others. I've seen a lot of people say that Crysis has some of the best AI ever. I thought the AI in Crysis was pretty good, definitely better than Crysis 2. I enjoyed Crysis 2 more though.

Stitch

Gold Member
i never had fun with crysis 2. i was just happy that i finally completed this turd. everything that i liked about the first one was removed or dumbed down in this game.

the only good thing about the "sequel" is that you can do stealthkills, grab ledges and maybe that you can slide. but i almost never used that. that was more fun in bulletstorm.

but i agree that all crysis games have shitty AI. but i also think that the AI in 2 is actually worse.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Stitch said:
i never had fun with crysis 2. i was just happy that i finally completed this turd. everything that i liked about the first one was removed or dumbed down in this game.

the only good thing about the "sequel" is that you can do stealthkills, grab ledges and maybe that you can slide. but i almost never used that. that was more fun in bulletstorm.

but i agree that all crysis games have shitty AI. but i also think that the AI in 2 is actually worse.
This post actually made me sad. I know it isn't trolling but Crysis 2 is one of my favorite games ever. I know I'm in the minority with that but I actually wish more people could experience it the way I have.

RoboPlato said:
This post actually made me sad. I know it isn't trolling but Crysis 2 is one of my favorite games ever. I know I'm in the minority with that but I actually wish more people could experience it the way I have.

It's not DirectX 11 and people can actually enjoy it on Console now, that's why people don't like it.

It's an otherwise awesome game. One of the best, if not the best, multi platform FPS ever, and it can even stand with some of the greatest FPS ever, too.

Red

Wait, you can slide? Is that something you have to unlock?

Littleberu said:
It's not DirectX 11 and people can actually enjoy it on Console now, that's why people don't like it.
Thanks for the lols.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Crunched said:
Wait, you can slide? Is that something you have to unlock?
Nope, just hold down crouch while sprinting. It's easier to use properly on console if you put melee on a button and crouch on a stick.

Stitch

Gold Member
I don't want to troll, I just loved Crysis 1 and Warhead so much and thought 2 would be an awesome game. But everything about it felt so... well, dumbed down. And it wasn't even a proper sequel.

And now that i have completed it & went back to Crysis 1 (with some custom levels) I'm realizing even more how much i hate Crysis 2 lol.

Meh, I just had to rant a bit. Gonna leave the few people who like this game alone ^^

Littleberu said:

Oh right, you got me. I hate this because it's only DX9 and on consoles. I only play Crysis in Dx9 anyway but yeah, this sucks because i want it to be in DX11!!1one
Well, yeah i think actually being a console-focused game might be one of the reasons why it sucks so much :p :D

Red

Stitch said:
I don't want to troll, I just loved Crysis 1 and Warhead so much and thought 2 would be an awesome game. But everything about it felt so... well, dumbed down. And it wasn't even a proper sequel.

And now that i have completed it & went back to Crysis 1 (with some custom levels) I'm realizing even more how much i hate Crysis 2 lol.

Meh, I just had to rant a bit. Gonna leave the few people who like this game alone ^^
I don't hate Crysis 2, but I'm with you in wishing it followed the formula of the first game. I'm for change, but only when it's forward. Crysis 2 is regressive on many counts, and despite how much the core movement is improved the actual combat situation have taken a step back in many areas. It's also terribly disjointed compared to Crysis 1, episodic and disconnected in level structure.

RoboPlato said:
I've played Crysis up to the point where you fight the NK leader in the Nanosuit and, at least to that point, it didn't compare at all to the amount of fun I've had with Crysis 2. Once I get a gaming PC I'll give it another shot.

that's you. maybe you like linearity.

Red

Stallion Free said:
The second half of Crysis 1 isn't as good as Crysis 2. The first half of Crysis 1 is better than Crysis 2.
I wish we would've got more zero G environments, but done in a way that was more conducive to gameplay. I actually liked the second half of Crysis. I had problems with the floatiness of the aliens and the hivemind AI, but it was still fun to play, and was great to travel through old areas after they'd been frozen. Also was a huge fan of the mission in the gunship. One of my favorites in the game, certainly one of the best-looking, and it was a nice change of pace.

I think back to C1, and there are so many ignored, great moments. Loved the mines, loved the canyon fights at the foot of the mountain, just before the aliens attack. Loved the gunship, as mentioned. The first half of the game is great, great stuff, but it's not like the rest couldn't hold its own.

A lot of people praise Warhead for "ironing out the kinks," and to an extent I agree. But I consider Crysis 1 the superior experience because it isn't as monotonous. It mixes things up, for better or worse, but the experience is textured and varied because of that. It's such a fantastic game.

For the second half, I'd say Exodus and Ascension are both excellent. The presentation of Reckoning is also great, but the mission itself is a bit dull. And the final boss? Well, let's say I've seen better. Really the only missions that don't live up to the rest are Core and Paradise Lost.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
evil solrac v3.0 said:
that's you. maybe you like linearity.
I do, I'll admit it. With a couple exceptions, I usually despise sandbox games. I thought there were just too many empty areas between encounters in Crysis. The jungle was beautiful to look at but it all kind of blended together. I love the atmosphere in Crysis 2. The different areas of NYC felt unique and you really felt like you were in the middle of a disaster area. It just felt like a more dire situation and it compelled me to move through it. I loved seeing the civilians and the rescue operations. Crysis 2 was the perfect example of the direction I hope games take, not huge sandboxes, but still relatively large areas that allow you to explore and improvise through a well thought out linear path so that it doesn't necessarily feel linear. I guess that's why I loved the game so much. No other game has really accomplished that in the same way as this.

RoboPlato said:
I do, I'll admit it. With a couple exceptions, I usually despise sandbox games. I thought there were just too many empty areas between encounters in Crysis. The jungle was beautiful to look at but it all kind of blended together. I love the atmosphere in Crysis 2. The different areas of NYC felt unique and you really felt like you were in the middle of a disaster area. It just felt like a more dire situation and it compelled me to move through it. I loved seeing the civilians and the rescue operations. Crysis 2 was the perfect example of the direction I hope games take, not huge sandboxes, but still relatively large areas that allow you to explore and improvise through a well thought out linear path so that it doesn't necessarily feel linear. I guess that's why I loved the game so much. No other game has really accomplished that in the same way as this.
No words....

Red

RoboPlato said:
One thing I keep forgetting is that C2 is set in NYC. I grew up there, and frankly the game does not accurately represent it at all. It's got none of the personality. I understand that concessions need to be made for game design, but the city here might as well be Generic Metropolis #639.

GTA IV is the game that comes closest to capturing the spirit of NYC. Crysis 2's city pales in comparison. And that would be fine, except it's coming off of Crysis 1. That pretend island had so much more impact on me than the city in C2.

As for your ideas on linearity, I disagree but it's an opinion I can respect. Your preference seems to lean more toward Call of Duty than I'd like, but at least you're making a point to mention improvisation.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Crunched said:
One thing I keep forgetting is that C2 is set in NYC. I grew up there, and frankly the game does not accurately represent it at all. It's got none of the personality. I understand that concessions need to be made for game design, but the city here might as well be Generic Metropolis #639.

GTA IV is the game that comes closest to capturing the spirit of NYC. Crysis 2's city pales in comparison. And that would be fine, except it's coming off of Crysis 1. That pretend island had so much more impact on me than the city in C2.
Eh, even GTA 4 doesn't come close to the feel of walking through NYC.

Stallion Free said:
Liberty City is a satirical echo of NYC, that's why it's called LIBERTY city.

The city levels in C2 look like they were put together by a group of people who were handed a couple of random landmark postcards and couldn't even be bothered to use google street view for reference.

MickeyKnox said:
No words....
What's wrong with his post? I agree with him 100%. Sandbox games are not the be all and end all of gaming. Somewhere in the middle is ideal for my tastes, not fully open-world but also not CODish train tracks.

Red

Stallion Free said:
A bit tangential, but I grew up in Astoria and spent a lot of time in Brooklyn and Queens. GTA IV gives the player areas reminiscent of those boroughs, places that typically get neglected by ambitious titles going for the wow effect of Manhattan. It's got a place in my heart for that, and I often found myself getting nostalgic walking or driving through the streets.

MickeyKnox said:
Liberty City is a satirical echo of NYC, that's why it's called LIBERTY city.

The city levels in C2 look like they were put together by a group of people who were handed a couple of random landmark postcards and couldn't even be bothered to use google street view for reference.
Can't argue with that. I'd say Liberty City in GTAIV was crafted with a lot of respect though. The whole thing wasn't one big joke, as funny as parts of it may have been.

C2 though, yeah. Man... it's just not anything at all like New York. The closest we get to a grounded reality is the cathedral, everything else is basically copy and pasted filler.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Crunched said:
As for your ideas on linearity, I disagree but it's an opinion I can respect. Your preference seems to lean more toward Call of Duty than I'd like, but at least you're making a point to mention improvisation.
Trust me, I definitely want games to be a lot less linear than CoD. I've always kind of considered there to be two types of FPS, combat based and story based. CoD, MoH, etc are combat oriented whereas Half-Life, Bioshock, etc are more story based. The first set has great gunplay but little in the way of atmosphere. The second set has weaker gunplay but great stories and worlds. Crysis 2 was a combat based shooter that had the feeling of going on a journey like a story based shooter, which I loved. I don't think that I articulated that as clearly as I meant to but I hope I got the point across.

Heavy said:
What's wrong with his post? I agree with him 100%. Sandbox games are not the be all and end all of gaming. Somewhere in the middle is ideal for my tastes, not fully open-world but also not CODish train tracks.
Somewhere in the middle is what the first game was.

This one is a corridor leading to a slightly wider corridor leading to an arena which itself is made up of usually around 3 or so corridors that collapse back into one.

Red

RoboPlato said:
Trust me, I definitely want games to be a lot less linear than CoD. I've always kind of considered there to be two types of FPS, combat based and story based. CoD, MoH, etc are combat oriented whereas Half-Life, Bioshock, etc are more story based. The first set has great gunplay but little in the way of atmosphere. The second set has weaker gunplay but great stories and worlds. Crysis 2 was a combat based shooter that felt more like a story based shooter, which I loved.
These examples make sense. Is it safe to assume you're a Halo fan?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Crunched said:
These examples make sense. Is it safe to assume you're a Halo fan?
I appreciate them a lot more now than I did before. I don't own a 360 but I played through all of them last summer. ODST and Reach are fantastic. The atmosphere in ODST is awesome, I love the quiet moments between battles, Crysis 2 had some good quiet moments too. The other Halos didn't quite click with me as much although they were fun.

lantus said:
I've noticed this as well, I beat the game once on normal, and am a little over half way through on supersolider. I'm finding it not much more of a challenge, given I do have a maxed out suit, but still the experiences are very similar.

I chose to go through on supersoldier 1st playthough because i had read in this thread that u kept the upgrades, i still didnt find the game appropriately challenging unfortunately. it felt like i was playing it on normal....nevertheless i loved it to the end.

Red

RoboPlato said:
I appreciate them a lot more now than I did before. I don't own a 360 but I played through all of them last summer. ODST and Reach are fantastic. The atmosphere in ODST is awesome, I love the quiet moments between battles, Crysis 2 had some good quiet moments too. The other Halos didn't quite click with me as much although they were fun.
That's pretty much what I expected to hear. I feel the same way. I get a lot of what you're saying about the push forward through levels, it's the idea of linear progression with nonlinear thinking and battlezones. Like I said earlier, I don't think Crysis 2 is a bad game. But we haven't had a truly open FPS in some time, and I was hoping that it would evolve on the concepts of the first game. It's fine for what it is, but it's not what I would have asked for.

MickeyKnox said:
Somewhere in the middle is what the first game was.

This one is a corridor leading to a slightly wider corridor leading to an arena which itself is made up of usually around 3 or so corridors that collapse back into one.
Crysis 2 isn't a corridor shooter, dude. Compare COD, Killzone, Gears... Crysis 2's environments are so much bigger. Give me a break. You exaggerate so much.

Also, Crysis 1's last 5 chapters (out of 11 total) were just as linear as those games I mentioned.

Stallion Free said:
It does a great job of showing the selective judgement in this thread.
Cyrsis 1 tried to do a lot more with its AI than Crysis 2 does. Crysis 1 had AI that would patrol huge expanses on foot, and in ground/water/air vehicles. If you draw enough attention to yourself, enemies throughout an entire village would close in on you. In crysis 1 the AI actually pursued the player. In Crysis 2 the AI behaves much more like a CoD drone, scripted to patrol a very small path or to wait to take cover behind a specific geometry. Focusing on the occasional AI glitch in either game is avoiding how much the AI really intensify the encounters.

I realize that these environments are more dense so path-finding could be harder in 2, but Crysis 1 managed to have much more aggressive AI along with destructible environments and less scripted paths. I will admit that the alien AI in crysis 2 has impressed me at times though their routines are often pretty predictable.

The AI is a complete joke in Crysis 2. There's no doubt about that. Just so many shitty glitches... it amazes me the game was shipped like this. Who are their Q&A testers? Any one of us could have played it for them one time through and pointed out these horrendous bugs and these testers probably played it 20 times each. It's ridiculous. Occasionally you see some nice stuff with the aliens... flanking, jumping from ledge to ledge, taking cover, running away, but more often than not you see them running into walls, spinning around in circles, standing there doing nothing. I can't wait till the mod community puts out some AI fixes.

Crysis 1 isn't much better, if at all. Crytek just doesn't give a shit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Heavy said:
The AI is a complete joke in Crysis 2. There's no doubt about that. Just so many shitty glitches... it amazes me the game was shipped like this. Who are their Q&A testers? Any one of us could have played it for them one time through and pointed out these horrendous bugs and these testers probably played it 20 times each. It's ridiculous. Occasionally you see some nice stuff with the aliens... flanking, jumping from ledge to ledge, taking cover, running away, but more often than not you see them running into walls, spinning around in circles, standing there doing nothing. I can't wait till the mod community puts out some AI fixes.

Crysis 1 isn't much better, if at all. Crytek just doesn't give a shit.
The nanocatalyst glitch and the fact that it forgets attachments are also really bad. I love the game but they really need to fix some things.

Top Bottom