• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Crunched said:
I don't think it's excused just because it's content to stand just outside of the shit pile. I'd say FEAR, the Halo series, and Crysis 1 all have better AI. Can't think of anything else, but that's because I can't think of another FPS that has enemies who possess anything remotely resembling intelligence. Crysis 2 at least has creatures that seem to be slightly aware they have roles to play. They are like two steps away from the right on The Evolution of Man; they see these things called grenades. "What is this?" they think. Silly monkeys.

Haven't played much of it, but STALKER seemed to have solid AI as well.
Crunched, AI in all Crysis games is comparable, that´s what experience tells me after playing the sh!t out of Cry1 and Warhead for years. The enviroments the AI is navigating is the key difference. Just think why would the AI get downgraded if its based on the same engine?

AI in Crysis 2 is adequate but its hampered by stupid bugs, biggest one is getting stuck in obstacles. Infact theres one or two little new things it does in this game. Of the popular games only Fear and Halo are leaps above everything else, the rest is either worst or in the same league as Crysis 2.

Yep, it seems you aren't very familiar with Stalker AI. First 2 games even with patches and complete don't save the stupid AI. Best AI in the series comes from Call of Prypiat, specially when a patrol is searching in a close enviroment. Behaviour is not more complex than Crysis 2 but at least they don't usually get stuck.

Nekrono said:
I just think the game could have been much better in every aspect, and there are some obvious decisions and approaches they had to make just to 'appeal' a broader audience (and get more sales obviously) that i just wish they wouldn't have made but w/e we can't get all that we want.
Please, make some examples of these aproaches. I'm not saying it isn´t the case just want to know which ones you are thinking of.

But the reality is that even Crysis 1 was a "broader audience shooter" like you put it. Its not as complex as other FPS or hybrids you get on PC, for example, Stalker, System Shock or Deus EX to name some of them.
Lime said:
You have got to be kidding me...

Deus Ex
Half-life
Half-life 2
DOOM

Call of Duty 1 + 4
Halo: CE
Crysis 1
Unreal
Goldeneye
Vampire: The Masquerade
System Shock 2
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
Rainbow Six
etc.
To be fair man the bolded ones are genre defining or influential shooters. Crysis 1 wasn´t neither so expecting the sequel to do that was unrealistic. Crysis 1 was a solid game with revolutionary tech but not gameplay.

The other ones are your taste, hell FarCry 1 deserves the spot more than Crysis 1 and you didnt considere it.
DennisK4 said:
Surely you are the one kidding?
Goldeneye? Shit campaign
By today standars? Maybe. Back in the day it was good and somewhat exotic, it had a very different setting for a shooter.

kitch9

Banned
Q8D3vil said:
crysis 2 + 3d vision + custom configure + little more brightness = fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

only real downer is that the rain effect is not there when i use sli :(

r_StereoDevice=3
r_StereoMode=2
r_StereoOutput=0
r_StereoEyeDist=0.05
r_StereoScreenDist=0.15
r_StereoHudScreenDist = 1.8

Try that in your CFG file for the 3d and I guarantee you will be mind blown. The hud floating out of the screen is particularly cool.

Only downside is slight artifacting at sides of screen, but worth it IMO.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I absolutely love the SP of this game, but I abhor the MP because of the lag and rampant cheating. Any game today or down the road that uses Lamespy and has no cheating controls will not be getting my money.

Lime

kamspy said:
So who can list off a number of better FPS campaigns?

Deus Ex
Half-life
Half-life 2
DOOM
Call of Duty 1 + 4
Crysis 1
Unreal
Goldeneye
System Shock 2
Rainbow Six
etc.

Insertia

Completed the game on normal yesterday. Took about 14 hours (I know).

Replaying on the hardest difficulty and blazing through now that I have full advantage of the nano-suit. Crysis 2 is even more awesome the second time around.

Dennis

Banned
Lime said:

Deus Ex
Half-life
Half-life 2
DOOM
Call of Duty 1 + 4
Crysis 1
Unreal
Goldeneye
System Shock 2
Rainbow Six
etc.

Call of Duty? Lawl

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood? Lawl

Vampire: The Masquerade? wat Thats an RPG...

System Shock and Deux Ex are great RPGs but as shooters they are far inferior to Crysis 2

Goldeneye? Shit campaign

Half-life 2? No

DennisK4 said:

Call of Duty? Lawl

System Shock and Deux Ex are great RPGs but as shooters they are far inferior to Crysis 2

Goldeneye? Shit campaign

Half-life 2? No

What's wrong with Half-Life 2?

vazel

Banned
This game looks so much better without bloom. Makes the lighting not look garish. r_glow didn't work for me though, I had to use r_HDRBloomMul=0.

Edit: CoJ: Bound in Blood is a horrible game. It's telling when the side missions are much better than the main campaign.

Detox

About the config file in the OP is that the current recommended tweaks on PC? And would my i5 2500 and 6850 be able to handle it?

Also I'm new to PC but do I have to 'run' the cfg file every time I want to play Crysis 2 or is it just once?

Alright guys quick question.
I just got my computer back and I believe I would be able to max the game out but everyone is saying that the pc controls suck so...

PC w/ 360 gamepad or just get it on 360?

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
So after playing some more MP I am really starting to see how this game is not very noob friendly at all. haha Once you hit level ten you jump into normal matches, I am constantly playing against people in the 20 to 35 level range and was wondering how they hell they were able to see me cloaked so well and bam! I hit level 14 and am now seeing all the different armor modules I can unlock that help notifying you when enemies are present.

I really think they should have different search options for level ranges or you know...balance matchmaking better. Still having a lot of fun though.

BruceLeeRoy said:
I just got my computer back and I believe I would be able to max the game out but everyone is saying that the pc controls suck so...

Depends. Are you going to play the MP for long? If so, the PC will probably have the more lasting player base.

On the other hand, it really plays better on console.

Not a Jellyfish said:
So after playing some more MP I am really starting to see how this game is not very noob friendly at all. haha Once you hit level ten you jump into normal matches, I am constantly playing against people in the 20 to 35 level range and was wondering how they hell they were able to see me cloaked so well and bam! I hit level 14 and am now seeing all the different armor modules I can unlock that help notifying you when enemies are present.

I really think they should have different search options for level ranges or you know...balance matchmaking better. Still having a lot of fun though.

Not to mention the Feline will destroy your asshole until you get it at 13. There's also those douches who run around using the rocket launcher.

vazel

Banned
Why would you get the game on a platform that gives you no visual customization and no mods.
Scott Chillgrim said:
Depends. Are you going to play the MP for long? If so, the PC will probably have the more lasting player base.

MP on PC is going to be scrubsville. Hardcore people aren't going to stick with mp that has such bad netcode for long.

BruceLeeRoy said:

If you can max it out the obvious choice is PC. I used a 360 pad for the campaign and it worked great. Actually use it for multi-player too because I'm lazy

Gwanatu T

DennisK4 said:

Call of Duty? Lawl

Goldeneye? Shit campaign

Half-life 2? No
I don't even know what to say to this. To say I've been let down by Crysis 2 is an understatement; the first is one of my favorite shooters of all time, worthy to be placed on this list of excellent shooters. Warhead was pretty good, although not as good as the first I felt, but 2 is just dismal. The scenery, i feel, is the biggest problem. Fighting in the city the whole time is just boring, sorry. I'm not done with it yet, but I don't know if I can finish it honestly, it just feels so monotonous. Portal 2, however, will more than likely hold my attention the entire time. I think Crysis 2 just isn't interesting in the least bit, and it's really a shame.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Scott Chillgrim said:
Not to mention the Feline will destroy your asshole until you get it at 13. There's also those douches who run around using the rocket launcher.

My thoughts exactly. lol Rocket launchers and grenade launcher attachments while cloaked is such bullshit.

vazel said:
Why would you get the game on a platform that gives you no visual customization and no mods. MP on PC is going to be scrubsville. Hardcore people aren't going to stick with mp that has such bad netcode for long.

Maybe it's just because its console, but people STILL play Gears 2. That has the worst netcode of any MP game this gen.

Not a Jellyfish said:
My thoughts exactly. lol Rocket launchers and grenade launcher attachments while cloaked is such bullshit.

I just got the rocket launcher yesterday. I've joined the party and I get my sweet vengeance. My first shot was a triple kill in the hill on Crash Site. A grin subsequently oozed across my face.

Dabanton

I have to say the fact you have the nanosuit puts C2 slightly above HL2 for me. Traversing the environment when you are in complete control is a thrill like no other.

C2 is just so damm exciting. The last time i had this much fun with a SP campaign was Halo: Reach.

kinggroin

Banned
Scott Chillgrim said:

So the pc version with same control scheme and better performance....plays worse?

vazel

Banned
Scott Chillgrim said:
Maybe it's just because its console, but people STILL play Gears 2. That has the worst netcode of any MP game this gen.
I'm sure it's going to have people playing for a long time. I'm just saying they're mostly going to be the scrubs. Competitive people will ditch the game's bad netcode. Which suits me just fine I guess since I'm not too good at FPS games haha. I sure do love that feline gun.

kinggroin said:
So the pc version with same control scheme and better performance....plays worse?

That's the word on the street, yes. Everyone that I know actually hates how it flows on PC. I can't speak from experience, though.

Heavy said:
If you can max it out the obvious choice is PC. I used a 360 pad for the campaign and it worked great. Actually use it for multi-player too because I'm lazy

Thats what I figured thanks Heavy. Definitely not getting it for the MP that is some atrocious shit.

vazel said:
I'm sure it's going to have people playing for a long time. I'm just saying they're mostly going to be the scrubs. Competitive people will ditch the game's bad netcode. Which suits me just fine I guess since I'm not too good at FPS games haha. I sure do love that feline gun.

I've tried using other guns because the Feline is so damn ugly, but nothing compares to it.

kinggroin

Banned
Scott Chillgrim said:
That's the word on the street, yes. Everyone that I know actually hates how it flows on PC. I can't speak from experience, though.

"The way it flows"? What does that even mean.

I know I shouldn't be bothered about this as much as I am considering how awful this game has been so far, but wtf. Loony ass thread this is.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Scott Chillgrim said:

It plays fine on PC. I played the demo on PS3 and it was awful. I'm replaying it now and it just feels good - mouse look, movement, overall responsiveness.

kinggroin said:
"The way it flows"? What does that even mean.

I know I shouldn't be bothered about this as much as I am considering how awful this game has been so far, but wtf. Loony ass thread this is.

Just the way the controls work on the PC. But I guess like someone said, using a gamepad solves that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
People my say I'm nuts for how much I love this game but I won't say it's better than HL2. It is damn close though.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Scott Chillgrim said:
I just got the rocket launcher yesterday. I've joined the party and I get my sweet vengeance. My first shot was a triple kill in the hill on Crash Site. A grin subsequently oozed across my face.

I will do what I do with every other game and weapon I feel is unbalanced I just won't use it. I never 'noobtubed' in CoD...instead I just got pissy every time someone else did. haha

Not a Jellyfish said:
I will do what I do with every other game and weapon I feel is unbalanced I just won't use it. I never 'noobtubed' in CoD...instead I just got pissy every time someone else did. haha

Normally I don't either but I wanted to try it one time and I literally pissed myself laughing when it happened.

EDIT: OT- BTDubs, after my friends and I played X-men Arcade, Colossus's power attack became a meme within the group.

AARRRRGHGHGHGHG
ARGHGHGHGGHGHHG
ARRRRHBHGHGHGH

Red

Heavy said:
How's your dog doing, bro? I hear Crysis 2 ran over it four or five times the other day.
Nekrono said:
Yep, that sounds about right, Crysis 2 seems to try so hard to deliver a Hollywood Blockbuster experience like some movies and just blow you away with cool effects, "awesome" scenes with all kinds of shit flying around, etc, that is just too much and ends up being cheesy and kinda lame just for trying too hard (IMO).

I think it's a good game that looks good and in consoles it's definitely breaking boundries on what can still be done in them without sacrificing performance too much.

I just think the game could have been much better in every aspect, and there are some obvious decisions and approaches they had to make just to 'appeal' a broader audience (and get more sales obviously) that i just wish they wouldn't have made but w/e we can't get all that we want.
Heavy, what are you so defensive about? Nekrono is following up all his arguments here. Not everyone is going to love the game and all its problems, it's fine that you do, but no one here is needlessly shitting on it.

kinggroin said:
Astoria huh?

*wipes tear away

I miss being home.

I also agree that gtaiv captures the essence of the more intimate pars of the city, better than any game before it. Walking past Coney Island with the sun setting..... brings back a flood of good memories for me.

Crysis 2 on the other hand is more like when you visit another city in another state, and see parts of it that make you say, "Hey, this place looks kinda like that place back home" except that, you ARE back home.
Brofist.jpg

Top Bottom