• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Lime

DennisK4 said:
Surely you are the one kidding?

Call of Duty? Lawl

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood? Lawl

Vampire: The Masquerade? wat Thats an RPG...

System Shock and Deux Ex are great RPGs but as shooters they are far inferior to Crysis 2

Goldeneye? Shit campaign

Half-life 2? No

The guy or girl asked for better singleplayer FPS campaigns (overall), so my suggestions aren't based solely on shooting mechanics. Hence the inclusion of SS2, DE and Vamp. Nevertheless I am certainly correct in at least 1 or more of my suggestions being examples of better SP FPS campaigns than fucking Crysis 2.

My point was basically how ridiculous it is to say there haven't been any better SP FPS campaigns than Crysis 2, especially considering it's only been out two weeks. I mean, already some poster without standards jump the gun and put forward such an obviously ignorant claim.

Lime said:
The guy or girl asked for better singleplayer FPS campaigns (overall), so my suggestions aren't based solely on shooting mechanics. Hence the inclusion of SS2, DE and Vamp. Nevertheless I am certainly correct in at least 1 or more of my suggestions being examples of better SP FPS campaigns than fucking Crysis 2.

My point was basically how ridiculous it is to say there haven't been any better SP FPS campaigns than Crysis 2, especially considering it's only been out two weeks. I mean, already some poster without standards jump the gun and put forward such an obviously ignorant claim.

If he thinks Crysis 2 has the best campaign, let him.

JoeBoy101

universalmind said:
lulz HL2 blind fanboyism running rampart.

Just because the Ant Lions won't follow your orders doesn't mean you should get all pissy.

Crysis 2 was good, it is in no fucking way, pretense, permutation, or variation as good as Half-Life 2. Y'all are fucking crazy for even thinking so.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am enjoying Crysis 2 about as much as I have enjoyed all the other elite FPS of the last 10 years. They all distinguish themselves from the many that fail.

Dennis

Banned
There is no doubt that Half-life 2 is the most overrated FPS ever.

Crysis (and perhaps now also Crysis 2) is the most underrated.

Not that HF2 isn't a good game - it is - just that it get praise that the actual game can't deliver on.

aeolist

Banned
RoboPlato said:
Crysis 2 was the perfect example of the direction I hope games take, not huge sandboxes, but still relatively large areas that allow you to explore and improvise through a well thought out linear path so that it doesn't necessarily feel linear. I guess that's why I loved the game so much. No other game has really accomplished that in the same way as this.
I didn't really get that from Crysis 2. Even when I got to the later areas that people said were way more open it turned out they were just a linear succession of hallways with really long sightlines to place you couldn't go.

Not a single area in Crysis 2 ever came close to even the smaller sandboxes of Warhead and to me they didn't even fake it well.

DennisK4 said:

Not that HF2 isn't a good game - it is - just that it get praise that the actual game can't deliver on.
Dennis has bad taste confirmed.

DennisK4 said:

I can never predict you. HL2 has pretty much everything that you love about games, bar the open world.

JoeBoy101

DennisK4 said:

I'd agree about Crysis being underrated, but Crysis 2, given this thread, is not a victim of underrating so far. If anything, some of you guys are really glossing over the first half of the game which is really weak at times.

Half-Life 2 provides an excellent, consistently brilliant shooter throughout. If either Crysis should its consistency, they would might've topped HL2 (And I think Crysis had the better chance than Crysis 2).

DennisK4 said:

Not that HF2 isn't good game - it is - just that it get praise that the actual game can't deliver.
Agreed. I'm one of those people that played HL2 + Eps for the first time fairly recently (around a year and a half ago). I couldn't understand why it was considered one of the greatest games of all-time. Felt like a solid FPS with some interesting physics-based puzzles and good level design. Gunplay was average, plot wasn't fleshed out or especially memorable, I just didn't understand. It was probably different for those who played it when it released in 2004.

Heavy said:
Agreed. I'm one of those people that played HL2 + Eps for the first time fairly recently (around a year and a half ago). I couldn't understand why it was considered one of the greatest games of all-time. Felt like a solid FPS with some interesting physics-based puzzles and good level design. Gunplay was average, plot wasn't fleshed out or especially memorable, I just didn't understand. It was probably different for those who played it when it released in 2004.
I played it properly for the first time in 2007, and I think it's the best single-player FPS of all time.

HL2 essentially established the archetype for modern FPS. Coheesive first-person immersion int the story? HL2 (HL1 as well), physics (All games do this now), set pieces (Eat your heart out COD). Those are just a few things HL2 did to revolutionize the genre and gaming itself. I could write an essay on what makes the game itself brilliant.

In ten years people will still be playing Half-Life 2 and Crysis.

Crysis 2? Nah.

Crysis 2 is a really good game but it doesn't have that x factor, that absolute perfect blend of components that games like HL2 and the original did, IMO.

Scott Chillgrim said:
HL2 essentially established the archetype for modern FPS. Coheesive first-person immersion int the story? HL2 (HL1 as well), physics (All games do this now), set pieces (Eat your heart out COD). Those are just a few things HL2 did to revolutionize the genre and gaming itself. I could write an essay on what makes the game itself brilliant.
That's exactly my point. It's one of those transcendent games that changed the genre like Doom. From a historical perspective, it's definitely one of the greatest of all-time. I don't agree with that assessment now, though. Had a ton more fun with Crysis 2 (and 1, for that matter).

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
DennisK4 said:

That's just like, your opinion man. Seriouysly though, HL2 is probably my favorite FPS ever. It completely delivered on it's potential to me.

Scott Chillgrim said:
As you say HL1 did most of those things before (and I would argue better.) The physics manipulation thing was done before (and I would argue better) by Psi-Ops.

Now we can't argue opinions, but to say that HL2 really did anything ground breaking or unprecedented I believe just isn't true.

Question about the difficulty of the game, games like Gears and Halo, when played on normal are too easy for me, will that be the case for this game? and can you alter the difficulty during the SP campaign (ie things too easy/hard)

Ken Masters said:
Question about the difficulty of the game, games like Gears and Halo, when played on normal are too easy for me, will that be the case for this game? and can you alter the difficulty during the SP campaign (ie things too easy/hard)
Yeah, you can alter it during the campaign. I'd start on Veteran. Normal would be too easy.

Ken Masters said:
You may want to start on hard. You can make it easier, but not harder, in the middle of the game.

I consider myself to be fairly average at shooters, and normal was not a problem for me.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Foliorum Viridum said:
Anyone who thinks this game is comparable to Half-Life 2 isn't invited to my birthday party. Soz.
I agree with you. Crysis 2 is a lot better. Hardly comparable.

You still get an invite for effort.

I just stealthed my way through the entire first level. Felt pretty damn good. That's one area that this game still shines, I'd say.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Foliorum Viridum said:
I can never predict you. HL2 has pretty much everything that you love about games, bar the open world.
It doesn't have very good gunplay. I've heard people say otherwise, but they're liars.

Arozay

Just beat it, took around 8 hours. I liked it more than Crysis 1 (anti-grav area was a bit of a downer from memory) although I'll probably go back (and buy Warhead next steam sale) and replay it to compare it with fresh eyes.

Only complaints would be that enemy variety was lacking
(dunno why they only used the stealth enemies at the end)
, upgrading the suit was kinda pointless since there was only 1 decent option per section, less destructible bits, pointless QTEs
(actually died dropping the ring into mount doom at the end cause it didnt register holding W)
, suit rebooting, suit rebooting, suit rebooting,
IM CIA

Graphically it was great, I was able to run it maxed out at 1920x1200. I didn't have too much trouble with the AI, stealth (+decloak sniping) is still overpowered and I felt that I could have bypassed some areas completely but I still end up picking off everyone for the sake of it.

What sets half life 2 apart for me is the level of absorption I felt throughout the entire game. Even "small" details such as the crazy electronic music setting in as the first wave of enemies chase after you can really make or break a game.

I love Crysis 2 but everything feels refined and recycled rather than innovative (except possibly the parkour-feeling of movement). It had a typical intense score with strings and such, which is fine and dandy, yet follows suit of almost every AAA title in the last 5 years.

To me flow is very important; you can tell the same joke in two completely different ways, one way can be hilarious and one can suck ass. Flow is something half life did incredibly well.

If we're talking about straight up shooting mechanics, Crysis 2 wins by a mile. Which game was more engaging? Too different to tell; strengths and weaknesses for each.

Nekrono

Heavy said:
How's your dog doing, bro? I hear Crysis 2 ran over it four or five times the other day.
Dude what the fuck are you talking about? Don't be stupid and don't be so butt-hurt when someone is debating or giving his opinion about Crysis 2 other than 'OMG THIS GAME IS AMAZING GUYZ' ESPECIALLY when i'm not even bashing the game or trying to put it down.

This plus other posts pretty much confirms(at least to me) that you have your hype-goggles on when playing the game and then posting here.

At least when i say something about the game i back it up and have my own opinion about it instead of just agreeing/disagreeing other people.

Refreshment.01 said:
Please, make some examples of these aproaches. I'm not saying it isn´t the case just want to know which ones you are thinking of.

But the reality is that even Crysis 1 was a "broader audience shooter" like you put it. Its not as complex as other FPS or hybrids you get on PC, for example, Stalker, System Shock or Deus EX to name some of them.
When i said chages to 'appeal' a broader audience i meant things like the dreaded gimped Nanosuit, that yes even though it does the majority of things like the first one here it's like Crytek said 'Hey guys, apparently Crysis was too pro, and required people willing to explore the mechanics to really get some satisfying gameplay out of it, how can we make that easy (especially for newcomers) here?', and then they figured that throwing everything out there and making it super obvious would do the trick, like ditching the circular Nanosuit menu and just switching Armor and Stealth to Q and E(circular menu was too hard?), also other things like how Crysis 2 holds your hand the whole freaking game with tutorials, reminders and that freaking TAC ASSESEMENT or w/e it's called, they just make everything so easy and obvious and try soo hard to resemble the first game and make it something more 'appealing' and easier for newcomers to get into, etc.

That among other things like, QTE's, the Hollywood Blockbuster approach to the campaing (that tries too hard imo), the fairly linear campaign that 'connects small sandboxes' every now and then, lower scale of levels, etc.

Man I still get "Check your network connectivity" when i try to log in to play multiplayer. I figure it must be because im on my schools network, but no other game does this. Anyone else having the same problem?

Red

Heavy said:
That wasn't the post I quoted
I know. You're being very selective with your quotes and ignoring everything outside your narrow argument, which was my entire point.

Nekrono said:
When i said chages to 'appeal' a broader audience i meant things like the dreaded gimped Nanosuit, that yes even though it does the majority of things like the first one here it's like Crytek said 'Hey guys, apparently Crysis was too pro, and required people willing to explore the mechanics to really get some satisfying gameplay out of it, how can we make that easy (especially for newcomers) here?', and then they figured that throwing everything out there and making it super obvious would do the trick, like ditching the circular Nanosuit menu and just switching Armor and Stealth to Q and E(circular menu was too hard?), also other things like how Crysis 2 holds your hand the whole freaking game with tutorials, reminders and that freaking TAC ASSESEMENT or w/e it's called, they just make everything so easy and obvious and try soo hard to resemble the first game and make it something more 'appealing' and easier for newcomers to get into, etc.

That among other things like, QTE's, the Hollywood Blockbuster approach to the campaing (that tries too hard imo), the fairly linear campaign that 'connects small sandboxes' every now and then, lower scale of levels, etc.
I disagree on assigning suit switching to buttons instead of a radial menu being a step back. The change introduces a fluidity the first game didn't have. Not that Crysis 1 wasn't fluid, but that the radial menu caused a split second interruption whenever it was brought up. And the first game had armor and stealth assigned to buttons already, anyway.

The lack of speed in the second game, and the predetermined tactical routes ("Go here for stealth," etc.) is the proof of dumbing down. The game doesn't exactly play itself, but it dances just outside that crime due to the constant visor highlights.

Crunched said:
The lack of speed in the second game, and the predetermined tactical routes ("Go here for stealth," etc.) is the proof of dumbing down. The game doesn't exactly play itself, but it dances just outside that crime due to the constant visor highlights.
Now I've not played the first game but I figured the reduced speed was to accommodate the smaller environments.

Red

Neuromancer said:
Now I've not played the first game but I figured the reduced speed was to accommodate the smaller environments.
Smaller environments is one of my disappointments, and if the speed reduction is due to that then that's two steps back. But really the battlezones aren't much smaller than many of the isolated fights in Crysis 1, so I don't think the reduced scale in some places necessitates a speed reduction across the entire game.

Refreshment.01 said:
Edit:Enviroment traversal in the Crysis 2 feels alot better, people should not forget that. The hughe downgrade in Crysis 2 (because of the setting) are the vehicles. They control a lot better but take a back sit sadly.
Absolutely. C2 is lot more one-note, and the lack of vehicles is a contributing reason for that.

Nekrono said:

Nekrono, i don't know man, i don't want to change how you think or attempt to... but calling the nanosuit gimped? Speed was gimped due to reduction of scale so it was a necesary concesion. Everything else i feel was better integrated or arranged in a more logical way. And what makes that circular menu complex or deep?

I just ignored the tac options, only thing in your face was that damn nav pointer always indicating the distance to the objective. Crysis 1 had tutorials, had a mini map which constantly pointed you in the right direction, had a entire area map at the press of a button. The only level that didn´t have that was the one Crytek got most of the complains, the alien ship one.

If you look closely at how the majority of people played the first Crysis, you´ll notice that even with that vast enviroment people only used maybe 2 or 3 different rutes because the designers themselves designed them to be traversed like that. So to some extent that space was wasted in terms of gameplay (not inmersion).

The first Crysis isnt a complex game that would scape the grasps of mayority of gamers, concesions were made due to the consoles that's true but i think that even if the franchise stayed PC exclusive the nanosuit would've ended up "gimped" like you called.

Edit:Enviroment traversal in the Crysis 2 feels alot better, people should not forget that. The hughe downgrade in Crysis 2 (because of the setting) are the vehicles. They control a lot better but take a back sit sadly.

bj00rn_

Banned
Hmm, bought the game a couple of days ago, didn't expect to have this much fun. I'm actually having a great gaming experience. Makes me wonder, GAF cynicism; what is it good for..

Edit: I'm not always happy about the way the AI works, but ok..

Nekrono

Refreshment.01 said:
Nekrono, i don't know man, i don't want to change how you think or attempt to... but calling the nanosuit gimped? Speed was gimped due to reduction of scale so it was a necesary concesion. Everything else i feel was better integrated or arranged in a more logical way. And what makes that circular menu complex or deep?
Like i said it's not really gimped, since you can do most of the stuff you could before, but it's more streamlined and if speed was gimped due to the smaller scale well like Cruched said, that's two steps back.

Does everything else feel more integrated? Probably yes, but that's due to the 'streamline' approach imo, especially because they had to make the game 'work' on consoles with controller limitations.

And no I don't think the circular menu is complex or deep, I just think it fit and worked beautifully with the first game :p, that's just my opinion though.

Refreshment.01 said:
I just ignored the tac options, only thing in your face was that damn nav pointer always indicating the distance to the objective. Crysis 1 had tutorials, had a mini map which constantly pointed you in the right direction, had a entire area map at the press of a button. The only level that didn´t have that was the one Crytek got most of the complains, the alien ship one.

If you look closely at how the majority of people played the first Crysis, you´ll notice that even with that vast enviroment people only used maybe 2 or 3 different rutes because the designers themselves designed them to be traversed like that. So to some extent that space was wasted in terms of gameplay (not inmersion).

The first Crysis isnt a complex game that would scape the grasps of mayority of gamers, concesions were made due to the consoles that's true but i think that even if the franchise stayed PC exclusive the nanosuit would've ended up "gimped" like you called.

I ignored the TAC options as well, but it was disappointing to see them and to think that Crytek was trying hard to make the game feel like the first one by giving you 'pre-baked options'.

In Crysis yes people may have used 2 or 3 different routes, etc, but how good or bad the game ended up being depended on how you played it and what routes, approaches, tactics you decided to take.

And yes there were maps, pointers, etc, but the game pretty much told you "You need to get from point A to point B" how you did it and play it was completely up to you. The game did not help/assist you or gave you options at all, the closest thing to that would have been someone telling you "Hey there might be a stash of C4 there" or "If you take this out it might help you later", and that didn't happen that often.

I don't think Crysis 2 is a bad game i just think Crysis is a more unique game and experience.

Anyway to make the multiplayer icons smaller through the config? They're fucking huge when you're sitting less than 1 foot away from a computer monitor.

I never used the tactical HUD thing in my first play through, it was nice for later ones though because it did give me some other ideas and see some pickups I missed.

I will say that the 'tutorial' stuff in the first level drags on too long, and should be skippable.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nekrono said:
And no I don't think the circular menu is complex or deep, I just think it fit and worked beautifully with the first game :p, that's just my opinion though.
God I thought the circular menu felt like utter shit compared to the suit shortcuts and the the hotkeys in Warhead.

CriginsMcJuggs said:
Man I still get "Check your network connectivity" when i try to log in to play multiplayer. I figure it must be because im on my schools network, but no other game does this. Anyone else having the same problem?

Yep. I've managed to play half of one game since release. The rest of the time I get that connectivity error. Setting up DMZ makes no difference either, so it's not a NAT issue. The lack of a patch or any real comment from Crytek on the issue makes me think it has to do with routing, which isn't patchable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
spermatic cord said:
Anyway to make the multiplayer icons smaller through the config? They're fucking huge when you're sitting less than 1 foot away from a computer monitor.
Try reading the unlockable emails. They're like SDTV size text.

Nekrono

Stallion Free said:
God I thought the circular menu felt like utter shit compared to the suit shortcuts and the the hotkeys in Warhead.

Really? care to say why?

I think it was responsive and fast and I could switch efficiently without affecting my movement or gunplay. I did feel a bit awkward and clunky at the beginning but after you get used to it and know how fast and good you can be with it I felt right at home when i was doing all kinds of crazy shit in the game.

It worked perfectly for me.

Top Bottom