• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Arcipello

Question! i have the autoexec from the op in my main crysis 2 folder but im unsure if its actually executing when the game starts up. every time i start the game i have to manually change the graphics settings from high to extreme... and also even though ive added the con_restricted = 0 line my console does not recognize commands:( have i got the file in the right location?????

on an unrelated note, is anyone else on the latest nvidia drivers finding that they sometimes randomly stop working and the game gets VERY sluggish???

Nekrono

Arcipello said:
Question! i have the autoexec from the op in my main crysis 2 folder but im unsure if its actually executing when the game starts up. every time i start the game i have to manually change the graphics settings from high to extreme... and also even though ive added the con_restricted = 0 line my console does not recognize commands:( have i got the file in the right location?????

If it skips the intro then chances are it's working.

Load up the campaign and check out the graphics before changing the settings in the menu as it will override the config. If you see the game with jaggies but a much cleaner look then it's working. If you see the image too blurred out then it's not.

Red

Nekrono said:
Really? care to say why?

I think it was responsive and fast and I could switch efficiently without affecting my movement or gunplay. I did feel a bit awkward and clunky at the beginning but after you get used to it and know how fast and good you can be with it I felt right at home when i was doing all kinds of crazy shit in the game.

It worked perfectly for me.
Button presses achieve the same thing with less effort. It doesn't require any more brainpower to use the radial menu than it does a hotkey, just less time. It's the difference between pressing a button and having to press a button, select an item, and choose that item after it's highlighted. Both achieve the same thing, but one is quicker.

You know I'm with you on a lot of points, but this is one where I'm in the opposite camp. The radial menu worked fine, but the new system is better.

Arcipello said:

on an unrelated note, is anyone else on the latest nvidia drivers finding that they sometimes randomly stop working and the game gets VERY sluggish???

Showing as high is right. Some of the AA techniques from extreme are disabled in that config so that's probably why it shows as high.

As for the game getting sluggish, I did get that in C2 but it's because I OC'd my cards memory too far and it underclocked. I'm on the latest drivers with no issue now on a GTX 580.

No idea about the console as I haven't used it.

Nekrono

Crunched said:
Button presses achieve the same thing with less effort. It doesn't require any more brainpower to use the radial menu than it does a hotkey, just less time. It's the difference between pressing a button and having to press a button, select an item, and choose that item after it's highlighted. Both achieve the same thing, but one is quicker.

You know I'm with you on a lot of points, but this is one where I'm in the opposite camp. The radial menu worked fine, but the new system is better.
Fair enough, and you are correct, pressing a button is indeed faster.

I think in very specific situations it can be a bit bothersome though, for example, if you're in combat or doing something crazy and you're moving diagonally, pressing W+D or W+A (which is something i do often) it's 'harder' to press E or Q, which is something that with the radial system never happened to me.

But I really see your point and i think in the end it just comes down to personal preference and gameplay.

SapientWolf said:
It doesn't have very good gunplay. I've heard people say otherwise, but they're liars.
It's certainly not the best in class, but I would argue a lot of it still feels good. The shotgun and combine rifles pack one hell of a punch, and of course you have the gravity gun which is pretty much one of the best weapons ever invented. So satisying to use correctly - not as deep as the powers in Crysis, but comparable.

The pistol, SMG and grenades feel weak as piss though, I agree. If Half-Life 2 had to stand up purely on its gunplay then it would never be considered an absolute classic, but luckily Valve are absolutely the best at creating an atmospheric world, belieavable/likeable characters, and interesting narrative, level design, etc etc etc.

Red

Foliorum Viridum said:
It's certainly not the best in class, but I would argue a lot of it still feels good. The shotgun and combine rifles pack one hell of a punch, and of course you have the gravity gun which is pretty much one of the best weapons ever invented. So satisying to use correctly - not as deep as the powers in Crysis, but comparable.

The pistol, SMG and grenades feel weak as piss though, I agree. If Half-Life 2 had to stand up purely on its gunplay then it would never be considered an absolute classic, but luckily Valve are absolutely the best at creating an atmospheric world, belieavable/likeable characters, and interesting narrative, level design, etc etc etc.
I think of HL2 more as an adventure game than an action game. It's all about the world building, and gameplay sometimes suffers because of that. I get what it's trying to achieve through the boat and buggy sections, but they're just not fun to play.

Its presentation is immaculate and stands up even today. I've played it three or four times now, and it's great, but it's not what I think of when I think "best FPS."

Episode 2 is my favorite of the series, since it gets action heavy without neglecting the atmosphere.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nekrono said:
Fair enough, and you are correct, pressing a button is indeed faster.

I think in very specific situations it can be a bit bothersome though, for example, if you're in combat or doing something crazy and you're moving diagonally, pressing W+D or W+A (which is something i do often) it's 'harder' to press E or Q, which is something that with the radial system never happened to me.

But I really see your point and i think in the end it just comes down to personal preference and gameplay.
I'm surprised to see this opinion.

I never disliked the circular menu, but the switch to button presses makes for a much smoother experience. Replaying Crysis now has me wishing I could replicate the controls of Crysis 2. It feels clunky to me in comparison.

Crunched said:
I think of HL2 more as an adventure game than an action game. It's all about the world building, and gameplay sometimes suffers because of that. I get what it's trying to achieve through the boat and buggy sections, but they're just not fun to play.

Its presentation is immaculate and stands up even today. I've played it three or four times now, and it's great, but it's not what I think of when I think "best FPS."
See I thought both driving sections were a lot of fun. The first is a great way of continue the chase that the Combine give you when they first realise who you are and try to shut you down, mixing it up with the gunships etc etc. The buggy section is less fun if you just blast down the road, but if you stop to explore all of the creeky houses along the way etc it's really rewarding.

I would agree that Half-Life is as much of an exploration and adventure game as an FPS, but when it comes down to it 75% of the time you're shooting dudes and I think that feels great too. The things around it only enhance that experience.

Arcipello said:

So long as it's an autoexec.cfg file it will work, simplest way to check is to hit the ~ key once in game and look at the console, it should show the cvars in green.

Arcipello

Nekrono said:
If it skips the intro then chances are it's working.

Load up the campaign and check out the graphics before changing the settings in the menu as it will override the config. If you see the game with jaggies but a much cleaner look then it's working. If you see the image too blurred out then it's not.

yeah it is actually working, just checked.... need to play with the AA settings to find the sweet spot between clarity and jaggies, any recommended AA settings?

Arcipello said:
yeah it is actually working, just checked.... need to play with the AA settings to find the sweet spot between clarity and jaggies, any recommended AA settings?
just look for the r_postmsaa = 0 line and switch it to 1, or 2.

Nekrono

Arcipello said:
Try this and see how you like it:

r_UseEdgeAA=0
r_PostMSAA=2
r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV = 0

dark10x said:
I'm surprised to see this opinion.

I never disliked the circular menu, but the switch to button presses makes for a much smoother experience. Replaying Crysis now has me wishing I could replicate the controls of Crysis 2. It feels clunky to me in comparison.
Same. The controls are much better and more fluid.

iNvid02

so i was doing some stability testing for my gpu (basically stare at fire which uses up 99% gpu lol) and i got freaked out when i saw a solider through the smoke, i thought why the hell isn't he shooting me but then i walked up to him.

also is the config in the op the best possible settings or a sweet spot between performance or what

1koaq.png

2gsum.png

iNvidious01 said:
so i was doing some stability testing for my gpu (basically stare at fire which uses up 99% gpu lol) and i got freaked out when i saw a solider through the smoke, i thought why the hell isn't he shooting me but then i walked up to him.

also is the config in the op the best possible settings or a sweet spot between performance or what

2gsum.png

That's a marine that's supposed to get shot by the two cell soldiers when you first walk out of the warehouse and the suit forces you into the binoculars.

iNvid02

yeah i saw him get shot but im just messing around in the same area, haven't started playing yet, i went back and saw him there

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Foliorum Viridum said:

It's not only the weapons. The firefights just weren't up to par. I know that the AI in HL1 was heavily scripted but the encounters were still more exciting than HL2. The set pieces in the sequel fell flat too.

There are a few rough spots, but the action in the Crysis franchise generally holds up really well. Crytek is up there with Monolith when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Is the config in the OP for best graphics/performance/or what? And also, am I the only one who when using that config, all particles (Ceph gunship thrusters/explosions/etc.) are gone when looking through the missile launcher's translucent "iron sights" crosshair thing?

And yeah, the patch says the nanocatalyst bug is fixed but I still can't collect any?? Am I the only one still having this problem?

Also does anyone else have a weird distortion "magnifying glass" kind of halo around weapons they are holding when using 3D vision?

Neuromancer said:
As you say HL1 did most of those things before (and I would argue better.) The physics manipulation thing was done before (and I would argue better) by Psi-Ops.

Now we can't argue opinions, but to say that HL2 really did anything ground breaking or unprecedented I believe just isn't true.

I'm not talking about manipulation of objects, I'm talking an actual physics engine like today where every item has it's own weight and can be moved around realistically etc. Which HL2 was the first to integrate this into actual gameplay. Now, set pieces as we know them today we first in HL2. Sure HL1 might have had what some would define as a set piece, however 2 was the first to give them the sheer massive scope like we see in modern shooters like Crysis 2.

Not to mention HL2 ushered in a new graphical leap and in engine standards. Sure, we can debate whether or not it was good, but to say it didn't do anything new and didn't leave an impression on the industry is just bollocks.

Edit: OT - But how good was Psi-Ops? Let's talk about that. No one's played that game. I loved that game.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Scott Chillgrim said:
I'm not talking about manipulation of objects, I'm talking an actual physics engine like today where every item has it's own weight and can be moved around realistically etc. Which HL2 was the first to integrate this into actual gameplay. Now, set pieces as we know them today we first in HL2. Sure HL1 might have had what some would define as a set piece, however 2 was the first to give them the sheer massive scope like we see in modern shooters like Crysis 2.

Not to mention HL2 ushered in a new graphical leap and in engine standards. Sure, we can debate whether or not it was good, but to say it didn't do anything new and didn't leave an impression on the industry is just bollocks.

Edit: OT - But how good was Psi-Ops? Let's talk about that. No one's played that game. I loved that game.

You can actually download the PC version of Psi-Ops for free. It's still kinda fun.

Neuromancer said:
^ Wait is that the beginning of the game?

Shouldn't he be dead?
He is dead. The game bugged out so his body loaded up but it just got left hanging in the air like that instead of some kind of corpse position.

Edit: I saw some videos of the leaked dev build. When some one loaded up a quick save that's how all the dead bodies ended up spawning.

You're going to have to lump me in the 'underwhelmed-by-Half-Life-2' crowd, as well. Granted, I did play it a while ago (originally on Xbox and then on 360 via the Orange Box and with a more focused approach).

Look, it's good, but I don't think it deserves 100% of the praise it gets today. When it was released, however? Yes, the praise was probably more easily justified, as it would have been a lot more ground-breaking in every regard by the standards of yore :). The vehicular sections were kind of laughable in how drawn out and tedious they were, but there's no denying that HL2 has a palpable and charming atmosphere that permeates everywhere. I remember a feeling of resounding loneliness playing that game; of helplessness and dread. It was pretty damn cool.

As many have said, though, the gun-play was nothing amazing, especially considering that I was also playing games like FEAR at the time - an FPS with near impeccable and extremely gratifying gun-play.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Quite far into the campaign now and definitely enjoying the later levels more than the early ones. I'm either a take it super slow and serious gamer or a rush from checkpoint to checkpoint gamer and this is better when I'm just rushing.

I don't even stop to enjoy the game, I'm just rushing through like it's a huge todo list. Once I stop playing or maybe between missions I can stop and decide if the previous was good or not and it's holding up well. The most frustrating bit so far was the pinger in central station. After dying about 10 times I had to just really slow it down and really focus on whittling it down once the minions were reduced. But it was a nice challenge.

The game also does a good job of ushering me through, it encourages my rush "let's get this over with" attitude, but it does it without being a series of corridors which is nice.

It definitely has enough of the COD scripted balance that I like whilst being just different enough to make it feel fresh.

That said I wouldn't want to do a second playthrough. I enjoy it but I still just want it to be over so I can move onto other things namely multiplayer and other games. So glad I did it super soldier right away rather than normal first.

What's this post human I keep seeing though? Does finishing it unlock an even higher difficulty than super soldier? No achievements for it though thankfully!

Are other steam PC users having trouble logging into multiplayer? Apparently after the patch a ton of users are getting the "Serial code incorrect. Valid serial code needed to play multiplayer." message

lantus

So I just got this 3D tv, and just started playing this game on it (PS3 BTW), does anyone else have a problem with delay? The controls just feel off, any way to fix this?

lantus said:
So I just got this 3D tv, and just started playing this game on it (PS3 BTW), does anyone else have a problem with delay? The controls just feel off, any way to fix this?

There's probably a Game Mode that you have to turn on. That's exactly what happened to me when I bought my new LED and noticed a fraction-of-a-second input delay; nearly lost my shit.

It downgrades the smoothness, though, which is a definite shame.

Anyway, I'm guessing that this could be your problem, but if not, maybe it's something to do with 3D. In that case, I'm of zero help!

Heavy said:
Same. The controls are much better and more fluid.
Only because the radial menu in C2 doesn't work and more than half the options are for functions that aren't for combat or movement. Keeping five options is just to make the suit feel less streamlined.

Red

Man, I just tried this out on my laptop (Asus G50vt-x5), and am completely blown away by the performance. Crysis 1 gets like 10-15 fps on this thing, Crysis 2 is usually 30+. All while looking better than the first game at the same settings. Fantastic. By far the best thing I've ever seen on this computer. What Crytek has managed with optomization is surely what deserves to be lauded with Cryengine 3.

I'm at the alien crash site near the beginning of the game. Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to be analyzing? I'm in some little room filled with jelly. I've passed this on my desktop, but can't remember what I'm supposed to look for.

scitek

mickcenary said:
You're going to have to lump me in the 'underwhelmed-by-Half-Life-2' crowd, as well. Granted, I did play it a while ago (originally on Xbox and then on 360 via the Orange Box and with a more focused approach).

Look, it's good, but I don't think it deserves 100% of the praise it gets today. When it was released, however? Yes, the praise was probably more easily justified, as it would have been a lot more ground-breaking in every regard by the standards of yore :). The vehicular sections were kind of laughable in how drawn out and tedious they were, but there's no denying that HL2 has a palpable and charming atmosphere that permeates everywhere. I remember a feeling of resounding loneliness playing that game; of helplessness and dread. It was pretty damn cool.

As many have said, though, the gun-play was nothing amazing, especially considering that I was also playing games like FEAR at the time - an FPS with near impeccable and extremely gratifying gun-play.

I was there day one for HL2. It absolutely was revolutionary when it was released. The physics alone were unlike anything I had personally ever seen in a video game, and the graphics were pretty mind-blowing in 2004. I've played through it at least a dozen times on numerous platforms, (PC, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3) and I recently replayed it and can say I feel like some elements of it are outdated today. The combat felt awesome for the time, but I feel like the bar's been raised since then and now it's just average. The AI was never great, but for 2004, it wasn't bad. The big draw was the storytelling and atmosphere, and how you felt like you were there, and that still holds its own today. Still, HL2 will always remain one of the best games ever made to me due to what it did for gaming upon its release, but I'm in the camp that thinks it shows its age today. Episode 2 felt a bit more modern, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would based on the hype it gets.

scitek

Crunched said:
Man, I just tried this out on my laptop (Asus G50vt-x5), and am completely blown away by the performance. Crysis 1 gets like 10-15 fps on this thing, Crysis 2 is usually 30+. All while looking better than the first game at the same settings. Fantastic. By far the best thing I've ever seen on this computer. What Crytek has managed with optomization is surely what deserves to be lauded with Cryengine 3.

I'm at the alien crash site near the beginning of the game. Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to be analyzing? I'm in some little room filled with jelly. I've passed this on my desktop, but can't remember what I'm supposed to look for.

Bring up your visor and scan the goop.

Hawk269

lantus said:

It might help us to know what TV you got to really help out. But it sounds like you are having input lag, which alot of TV's suffer from. If you TV has a "GAME" mode turn that on and it should be fine.

Red

scitek said:
Bring up your visor and scan the goop.
I'm playing with the HUD disabled, so there's no indication of what to scan. I need to find it the exact spot.

edit: blah nevermind, stupid me. Did what you said and it worked fine. Thanks.

lantus

mickcenary said:
There's probably a Game Mode that you have to turn on. That's exactly what happened to me when I bought my new LED and noticed a fraction-of-a-second input delay; nearly lost my shit.

It downgrades the smoothness, though, which is a definite shame.

Anyway, I'm guessing that this could be your problem, but if not, maybe it's something to do with 3D. In that case, I'm of zero help!

Thanks for the input, but for some reason, my Samsung doesn't have one, or I can't find it, which is odd because I think every samsung tv or monitor i've had has a game mode.

lantus

Hawk269 said:
It might help us to know what TV you got to really help out. But it sounds like you are having input lag, which alot of TV's suffer from. If you TV has a "GAME" mode turn that on and it should be fine.

It's a Samsung Series 7 LED

Scott Chillgrim said:
Dude that game was amazing. So many cool things you could do, you don't see a single game today (that I can think of) that gives you so many options and powers. Remote viewing? Check. Possessing soldiers and attacking their buddies, and then blowing your head off with a shotgun? Check. Moving shit with your mind? Check. Moving shit with your mind, while you're standing on it like a surfboarder? Check.

If there was a game last generation that needed a sequel it was Psi-Ops. Just incredible, and great graphics (for the time) to boot.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Neuromancer said:
Dude that game was amazing. So many cool things you could do, you don't see a single game today (that I can think of) that gives you so many options and powers. Remote viewing? Check. Possessing soldiers and attacking their buddies, and then blowing your head off with a shotgun? Check. Moving shit with your mind? Check. Moving shit with your mind, while you're standing on it like a surfboarder? Check.

If there was a game last generation that needed a sequel it was Psi-Ops. Just incredible, and great graphics (for the time) to boot.
I always wanted to play that but I never got around to it. It sounds like something that I'd really appreciate.

scitek said:
I was there day one for HL2. It absolutely was revolutionary when it was released. The physics alone were unlike anything I had personally ever seen in a video game, and the graphics were pretty mind-blowing in 2004. I've played through it at least a dozen times on numerous platforms, (PC, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3) and I recently replayed it and can say I feel like some elements of it are outdated today. The combat felt awesome for the time, but I feel like the bar's been raised since then and now it's just average. The AI was never great, but for 2004, it wasn't bad. The big draw was the storytelling and atmosphere, and how you felt like you were there, and that still holds its own today. Still, HL2 will always remain one of the best games ever made to me due to what it did for gaming upon its release, but I'm in the camp that thinks it shows its age today. Episode 2 felt a bit more modern, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would based on the hype it gets.

Frankly I was more amazed by HL1. HL2 just was nowhere near as amazing as the HL1 experience and really didn't do anything amazingly new compared to 1 outside of the big focus on physics stuff.

scitek

BattleMonkey said:
Frankly I was more amazed by HL1. HL2 just was nowhere near as amazing as the HL1 experience and really didn't do anything amazingly new compared to 1 outside of the big focus on physics stuff.

I missed the boat on HL1. I first played it 2 years after its release, but I can imagine that it was even more mind-blowing for people in '98 than HL2 was for me.

belier

Flying_Phoenix said:
So PC Gaf, what's the genera consensus of this game?

How does it compare to Crysis 1?

Mine lies on the shelf waiting for the mother of all patches.

PC version is still beta. Crytek needs you to help them to polish it. I'll wait...

Dennis

Banned
markao said:
In case you find yourself in an other QTE event, or for those that just want to take screenshots, add this to the autoexec.cfg instead ;)

bind 8 Hud_Hide 1
bind 7 Hud_Hide 0
Is this supposed to allow me to toggle between HUD and no-HUD ingame? Because its not working for me.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Does the game & 266.66 drivers support SLI ? Or do I have to do something?

Top Bottom