• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

I finally made a config file that I feel is giving me a good balance between graphics and fps.

My biggest issue right now is the size of the damn gun/hands. They're just ridiculously huge and really get in the way of the pretty scenery. I changed the FOV to 75, and it helps slightly, but not enough. Is there nothing that can be done?

belier

teh_J0kerer said:
I finally made a config file that I feel is giving me a good balance between graphics and fps.

My biggest issue right now is the size of the damn gun/hands. They're just ridiculously huge and really get in the way of the pretty scenery. I changed the FOV to 75, and it helps slightly, but not enough. Is there nothing that can be done?

The size of hands and gun is a trick from developers for having less to draw. Give thanks to consoles...

StuKen

belier said:
The size of hands and gun is a trick from developers for having less to draw. Give thanks to consoles...

Really? no z culling happens behind the gun model? The other frame buffers in the pipeline just happen to drawn nothing in a variable gun shaped area?

KKRT00

belier said:
Do You really believe that? So what about culling when You have granade/C4 equipped or just stealth mode enabled?

belier

KKRT00 said:
Are You really believe that? So what about culling when You have granade/C4 equipped or just stealth mode enabled?

I've read that can't remember where. That the weapons were bigger than in Crysis for better performance in consoles.

I should check were I read it...

strata8

belier said:
I've read that can't remember where. That the weapons were bigger than in Crysis for better performance in consoles.

I should check were I read it...
It doesn't really even make sense since there'd be minimal performance gain.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
hmm where is the original autoexec.cfg that I have to replace with the one from the OP?

DennisK4 said:
Is this supposed to allow me to toggle between HUD and no-HUD ingame? Because its not working for me.
Tried that as soon as he posted. Didn't work. Maybe you should try putting it in the shortcut?
markao said:
Yes and it is working for me, playing on difficulty one level below the highest, that makes the difference?

I also added these two keys to my autoexe.cfg, some effects look great in slow motion

bind 0 t_scale .3
bind 9 t_scale 1
- slows the game down when pressing 0 key, 9 key speeds up to normal again (have not tried playing with the value)
@Markao
Do you have the latest patches? And where are you puting the variables in shortcut, autoexec or system?

Bind 7 hide_hud=0

That format didn´t work for me :(

Corky said:
Oh, then where am I supposed to be doing all these cute changes, the commandconsole`?
Create "autoexec.cfg" in games directory and put the variables there. You can try some of them if you have console unlocked to modify values ingame but not all of them work.

Just a few tweaks make a palpable difference in this game, it isn´t like the other 2 games.

Corky said:
I see, I'll give it a shoot.

Also has anyone figured out how to enable SLI? I just checked with nvidia inspector and on of my gpus went to 100% while the other was on 0% during the game.
For Sli/Crossfire try:

R_multigpu=1 or 2
2 autodetects Nvidia.

Not sure how multi gpu is working. Remenber some users reporting flickering issues but i dont know from what brand (AMD probably).
Corky said:
thank you :)

edit : hooray, got SLi working. Went from 100%/0% to 75/75. Also got all the tweaks going. But I'm not really satisfied with the AA, I did some looking in the autoexec.cfg and found

r_useedgeAA = 3
r_PostMSAA = 0

Which of these should I alter to get better "regular" AA? Also the configfile pushed my GPUs a little more than the vanilla settings ingame, I'm guessing this is a part of it all?

This produces a "cleaner" image:

r_useedgeAA = 0
r_PostMSAA = 2
r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV=0

Corky said:
Oh, then where am I supposed to be doing all these cute changes, the commandconsole`?
Make a notepad file, paste them in, save it as autoexec.cfg and make sure you don't save it as autoexec.cfg.txt (in the folder options make it so known file extensions are shown).

Corky

Foliorum Viridum said:
Make a notepad file, paste them in, save it as autoexec.cfg and make sure you don't save it as autoexec.cfg.txt (in the folder options make it so known file extensions are shown).

Thus far I made it, what I'm wondering is where to put the file, in which specificfolder.

thanks

Corky

I see, I'll give it a shoot.

Also has anyone figured out how to enable SLI? I just checked with nvidia inspector and on of my gpus went to 100% while the other was on 0% during the game.

markao

DennisK4 said:
Is this supposed to allow me to toggle between HUD and no-HUD ingame? Because its not working for me.
Yes and it is working for me, playing on difficulty one level below the highest, that makes the difference?

I also added these two keys to my autoexe.cfg, some effects look great in slow motion

bind 0 t_scale .3
bind 9 t_scale 1
- slows the game down when pressing 0 key, 9 key speeds up to normal again (have not tried playing with the value)

Corky

Refreshment.01 said:
Tried that as soon as he posted. Didn't work. Maybe you should try putting it in the shortcut?

Create "autoexec.cfg" in games directory and put the variables there. You can try some of them if you have console unlocked to modify values ingame but not all of them work.

Just a few tweaks make a palpable difference in this game, it isn´t like the other 2 games.

For Sli/Crossfire try:

R_multigpu=1

thank you :)

edit : hooray, got SLi working. Went from 100%/0% to 75/75. Also got all the tweaks going. But I'm not really satisfied with the AA, I did some looking in the autoexec.cfg and found

r_useedgeAA = 3
r_PostMSAA = 0

Which of these should I alter to get better "regular" AA? Also the configfile pushed my GPUs a little more than the vanilla settings ingame, I'm guessing this is a part of it all?

Metal-Geo

belier said:
Hahahaha...

...no.

The most logical reason thrown out there for bigger (or straight-up-my-nose) guns is because console gamers are farther away from their screen than PC gamers. I remember people complaining about Left 4 Dead 2's big-ass screen filling guns as well. (especially the deagle @_@)
And the reason why the PC version contains the same FOV for the guns as the console is so the animators wouldn't need to animate (certain) animations twice. You know; hands going through the screen and such.

Help!

I'm at the first pinger on super soldier difficulty (360). When i beat it, the marines come in with their hummers and it tells me to "Rejoin Chino at Central Station." But no one says anything to me and if I try to get into a hummer, it let's me drive and there's nowhere to go. I've already restarted at the checkpoint twice. Any ideas or do I have to play the whole sodding level again?

StuBurns

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Help!

I'm at the first pinger on super soldier difficulty (360). When i beat it, the marines come in with their hummers and it tells me to "Rejoin Chino at Central Station." But no one says anything to me and if I try to get into a hummer, it let's me drive and there's nowhere to go. I've already restarted at the checkpoint twice. Any ideas or do I have to play the whole sodding level again?
It's meant to trigger a 'view' option after a little while of standing in the destination spot then fade out a little after, no driving required.

KKRT00

Neuromancer said:
Help!

Try changing seat to a gunner

Omiee

is the configuration in the op the best for graphics? Also since advanced graphics does not work for me anymore i tried doing what is said with the notepad etc. but its still being displayed as a notepad file so i dont know if thats oke?

and where do i put this= R_multigpu=1

in my autoexec thing file, because i have crossfire, and shouldent the number be 2 since i have 2 cards?

KKRT00 said:
Try changing seat to a gunner
Hmm even when I press Use behind the hummer, it still puts me in the drivers seat. Now the guy with the blue checkpoint is up on the roof of the diner, pacing around. WTF

I'm going to redo the pinger fight one more time, if it's still fucked I'm going to have to take a mental health break away from this game for a while.

Omiee said:
is the configuration in the op the best for graphics? Also since advanced graphics does not work for me anymore i tried doing what is said with the notepad etc. but its still being displayed as a notepad file so i dont know if thats oke?
Folder options > show known file extentions > delete the .txt at the end of your autoexec.cfg.txt

Omiee

Foliorum Viridum said:
Folder options > show known file extentions > delete the .txt at the end of your autoexec.cfg.txt

where can i find this, because i looked in control panel and the options i had were show all forlders etc but no show all extensions

nvm found it.

so where do i put the crossfire thing, anywhere i want in that file?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Foliorum Viridum said:
My ghetto lazy method for making cfgs is to just make a copy of some other cfg so i get like system(1).cfg and then I rename it to autoexec.cfg and empty the contents to put in my new stuff. I do this because I prefer file extensions hidden and don't want to have to turn them on just for doing this stuff.

vazel

Banned
When you're saving the file in notepad change the file type to 'all files'. It won't append .txt when you do that.

Omiee

Stallion Free said:
My ghetto lazy method for making cfgs is to just make a copy of some other cfg so i get like system(1).cfg and then I rename it to autoexec.cfg and empty the contents to put in my new stuff. I do this because I prefer file extensions hidden and don't want to have to turn them on just for doing this stuff.

hey under what do i put R_multigpu=1 so i can get both cards to work.
also is sys spec settings when on 4 the highest setting?

Gvaz

Banned
Nekrono said:
Yep, that sounds about right, Crysis 2 seems to try so hard to deliver a Hollywood Blockbuster experience like some movies and just blow you away with cool effects, "awesome" scenes with all kinds of shit flying around, etc, that is just too much and ends up being cheesy and kinda lame just for trying too hard (IMO).
I haven't seen a Hollywood level movie in the last couple years that wasn't complete shit.

dark10x said:
For me it's the mix of technology and art. I feel that Crytek simply nailed it by delivering competitive technology with fantastic art direction.
You're comparing games who excel in story or character progress to games that excel in graphics and polish.

No one dev team can do all of this, there's always something lacking.

subversus said:
9 hours. I died like 7 times during the game.
It took me about 6 hours for bulletstorm.

markao

Refreshment.01 said:

@Markao
Do you have the latest patches? And where are you puting the variables in shortcut, autoexec or system?

Bind 7 hide_hud=0

That format didn´t work for me :(

I missed your post earlier :oops:

I use the steam version, it is updated and this is my entire cfg.

Vitet said:
You need the 1.1 patch for the bind commands to work

And missed this one as well, so I guess that's the reason, some have, whats the word I'm looking for, "non updated versions of the game", so update your game and it will apparently work.

Dennis

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
Not as good but still great.

Crysis had larger more open levels. This is the biggest difference. Crysis was more of a sandbox game.

Crysis 2 is a more conventional shooter but the aliens are much better enemies, and the game doesn't fall apart like Crysis did.

Stallion Free said:
Eh, I would say it's one step forward one step back. I felt very satisfied for my 60$ though.

Great to hear. Unfortunately I refuse to spend more than $45 on a game.

I'll wait for the crazy holiday sales where I can get it for $30.

EDIT - One last question. Is this game well optimized? I remember Crysis 1 while being very stingy before it was maxed out.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Flying_Phoenix said:
Great to hear. Unfortunately I refuse to spend more than $45 on a game.

I'll wait for the crazy holiday sales where I can get it for $30.
EA Steam patterns dictate the game should drop to 40$ within a month or two. Bad Company 2 was down to like 7$ by the time it was Christmas.

Gvaz

Banned
I refuse to buy a normal edition for a game at more than $50. However, this game isn't worth more than $35 or so imo

Red

Flying_Phoenix said:
So its one step forward two steps back?
It's solid. Like a cross between Call of Duty and Halo. There's less Crysis 1 in here than I'd like, but it's not a bad game.

I don't think it's something that demands you run out and spend $60, but honestly you could do far worse.

Player movements and control is far improved, as is navigation -- minus the fact that you now move much slower. Sprint is standard CoD-speed. Strange as it still drains suit energy. Some have said this is due to the smaller environments. That may be the case, but in my eyes that's two problems now instead of one.

Each satellite "battlezone," I guess you could call them, each open area around the linear path is relatively large. Just as big as many similar battles in Crysis 1. So I don't think that's where the speed reduction comes from. One thing you will notice is paths are often preconceived for you. There's not much stopping you from the old cloack-unclock-shoot-cloak strategy, but you'll find paths scattered around ("tactical options" the game calls them), that are pretty much highlighted routes that work especially well for certain play styles. That's one of the major problems: the game highlights everything. It's nice when you're using the binocs to scout an area, but distracting and pandering when you're just trying to play normally. Like you wouldn't be able to figure these things out on your own.

I recommend turning off the HUD if you're on PC. It really improves the game.

AI is also a point of contention. I say it's worse, others say it's the same or better. There was an argument in this thread a bit earlier about the AI being the same but appearing worse because it's tougher for it to navigate these dense environments. If that's the case, I say why the hell wouldn't Crytek work on that? You don't put jello in a sandwich and expect it to come out right. If the Crysis 1 AI was merely dropped from that game and put into a game it wasn't prepared for, isn't that an even bigger slap in the face? I don't think that's true, but it's something that was being said earlier.

New York City here is more like New Generic City, but I don't think we were expecting much in that regard.

But like I said before: it's not bad. I can't think of a better city-set FPS. It's certainly better than Call of Duty and its kin. And outside of some rough textures, it looks magnificent, and runs like a dream.

Flying_Phoenix said:
EDIT - One last question. Is this game well optimized? I remember Crysis 1 while being very stingy before it was maxed out.
YES. It runs perfectly on my desktop at 1920x1080, with a 5870. It runs usually at 30+ fps on my notebook, an Asus g50vt-x, at 1366x768, using OP's config with a few settings slightly knocked down. But Crysis 1 gets roughly 15 fps at the similar settings, all while looking worse. What Crytek's down with CE3 is nothing to laugh at. It is seriously impressive. I can't think of a better optimized game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Flying_Phoenix said:
No mod tools = wait for price cut, imo.

The campaign was fun and occasionally boring, frustrating and buggy. Not worth the asking price.

Unless you think you'll get super into the multiplayer (which is Call of Duty: Advanced Warfighter with nanosuits).

I'm about two hours in.

I'm generally not an fps fan, and haven't played almost any of them. Never played a Halo game, or Call of Duty. I played bioshock and was totally bored after a couple levels. Got bored of Half life 2 really fast and stopped.

But Crysis 1, which I just played a couple weeks ago, was really great. I loved the freedom, and the feeling like I could go anywhere and do whatever I wanted. I loved trying to figure out my own ways of accomplishing goals. (sure the game started sucking after the aliens came along). I loved the way the game just started up and let me loose almost right from the beginning. The levels were huge, and the atmosphere in the jungle was top notch.

So far Crysis 2 has none of that. I really hope it's going to improve, but so far it doesn't feel any different from any other shooter. The way the game tells me everything I'm supposed to do, even within the fairly linear levels, is really annoying.

So what do you guys think about turning off the HUD on a first play through? What was that people were mentioning about quick time events? Will I automatically lose when I reach them without an HUD?

Crunched said:
It's solid. Like a cross between Call of Duty and Halo. There's less Crysis 1 in here than I'd like, but it's not a bad game.

I don't think it's something that demands you run out and spend $60, but honestly you could do far worse.

Player movements and control is far improved, as is navigation -- minus the fact that you now move much slower. Sprint is standard CoD-speed. Strange as it still drains suit energy. Some have said this is due to the smaller environments. That may be the case, but in my eyes that's two problems now instead of one.

Each satellite "battlezone," I guess you could call them, each open area around the linear path is relatively large. Just as big as many similar battles in Crysis 1. So I don't think that's where the speed reduction comes from. One thing you will notice is paths are often preconceived for you. There's not much stopping you from the old cloack-unclock-shoot-cloak strategy, but you'll find paths scattered around ("tactical options" the game calls them), that are pretty much highlighted routes that work especially well for certain play styles. That's one of the major problems: the game highlights everything. It's nice when you're using the binocs to scout an area, but distracting and pandering when you're just trying to play normally. Like you wouldn't be able to figure these things out on your own.

I recommend turning off the HUD if you're on PC. It really improves the game.

AI is also a point of contention. I say it's worse, others say it's the same or better. There was an argument in this thread a bit earlier about the AI being the same but appearing worse because it's tougher for it to navigate these dense environments. If that's the case, I say why the hell wouldn't Crytek work on that? You don't put jello in a sandwich and expect it to come out right. If the Crysis 1 AI was merely dropped from that game and put into a game it wasn't prepared for, isn't that an even bigger slap in the face? I don't think that's true, but it's something that was being said earlier.
Exellent post crunched. Just want to adress the speed part of your post because i think you are not considering something.

Remember that in Crysis 1 to reach those "sattelite battlezones" theres was a lot more leg work involved. That´s not the case with this game, the pacing from battlezone to battle zone is a bit quicker.

In regards to AI pretty much thats it, Crytek sort of got lazy and didn´t upgrade it alot. Since there´s no logical reason for them to drop AI quality for this game.
teh_J0kerer said:
But Crysis 1, which I just played a couple weeks ago, was really great. I loved the freedom, and the feeling like I could go anywhere and do whatever I wanted. I loved trying to figure out my own ways of accomplishing goals. (sure the game started sucking after the aliens came along). I loved the way the game just started up and let me loose almost right from the beginning. The levels were huge, and the atmosphere in the jungle was top notch.
Is not that you "can go anywhere and do whatever you want" (altough i know you said it feels like). But its more like they say: "you got to go from here to here" and there are multiple options to do that. A game that awakes that feeling of "anywhere and anyway" to me would be something like Fallout 3.

So what do you guys think about turning off the HUD on a first play through? What was that people were mentioning about quick time events? Will I automatically lose when I reach them without an HUD?
Well the mayority are not QTE´s, they are sort of button prompts. Just play withouth heads up and turn them on in those cinemas, you wont lose much progress if you fail them the first time. Also if you are updated to latest version this supposedly works:

Bind 7 hide_hud=0
Bind 8 hide_hud=1

So pressing 7 or 8 turns off/on the HUD. Or use other keys instead of 7 or 8 that you could be more confortable with.

Top Bottom