• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ugh, I'm dreading that fight on Post-Human. I actually skipped it for the time being and beat a couple of the levels that come after.

I was happy that I was able to kill the other two Pingers in early levels without too many deaths (I played it super careful and scoured the areas for rocket launchers).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
See You Next Wednesday said:
You just described Crysis 2.
Except Crysis 1 still had scripted moments in it as well as scripting. Wtf is wrong with some of the people in this thread? Every comment has to be turned into some backhand remark about Crysis 2. The rest of us got over our bitterness and were able to enjoy the game for what it was.

I thought we had all gotten it out of our system by this point (or did Crysis 2 run over your cats/dogs?)

a176

Banned
RoboPlato said:
Ceph can pick you up at close distances better than humans. If you get far enough away quickly they'll lose track of you.

no, they wont. they will follow you where ever you run to. they walk slowly as if crytek is trying to them seem like they don't know what they're doing. but anywhere you go, they will follow. stupid shit

Stallion Free said:
Except Crysis 1 still had scripted moments in it as well as scripting. Wtf is wrong with some of the people in this thread? Every comment has to be turned into some backhand remark about Crysis 2. The rest of us got over our bitterness and were able to enjoy the game for what it was.

I thought we had all gotten it out of our system by this point (or did Crysis 2 run over your cats/dogs?)
Yet you havent been able to enjoy the Multiplayer? Aren't I supposed to be the COd-gameplay hater in this place!?

So a few people got a bit crazy over my gif on the last page and I've had something similar happen again:

Crysis 2 - Crushed Enemies

Here I had no idea that cylinder was there. On my first playthrough I stealthed a lot of those guys and most of the barrels remained unexploded. This time in the chaos of it all the cylinder got blown down the ramp and took out two guys rather epicly.

I died after that, so I was curious to see where it came from and went back. Turns out it's set up perfectly in front of the ramp with two explosive barrels behind it. Although when viewed like that it's an obvious "SHOOT ME TO ROLL DUDES" thing, in the instance of that video I had no idea where it came from and seemed totally random. It felt so fucking good.

I've been very vocal in this thread that I am letdown by this game, but these moments are great. Just like the jeep nearly hitting me in that gif and the fact a rocket launcher was just by my feet felt like hella good luck, so did setting off a chain of explosions in that video and knocking down the cylinder.

I think lots of people are way too quick to call something "scripted" or "staged" when there are possibilites for wonderful outcomes like this. It was there in Crysis and the best game designers in the world (Valve, Rockstar, etc) do the exact same thing.

When I think of what I like in this game it's moments like that.

Nekrono

Stallion Free said:

I still don't get this joke and it's kinda stupid imo.

Anyways.

People that have come here saying that Crysis 2 looks awful and plays like crap are just trolling obviously, if you don't like the game then that's fine but don't bash it like that either because it's better than A LOT of FPS out there.

I honestly think it's a good game with good moments and some pretty cool stuff, but there seems to be a lot of people here with their hype-goggles on still that are just so touchy when someone says Crysis is better or has better things than Crysis 2, it's those people that should get over the fact that Crysis 2 is SUPER AWESOME OR THE BEST FPS EVER and accept the fact that Crysis does certain things better and beats Crysis 2 single-handedly in some regards, Crysis 2 does this over Crysis as well.

My main 'complaints' have been with the people that post stupid arguments without any kind of foundation or proof, like saying how Crysis 2 is a technical marvel or how Crysis 2 has better physics than Crysis or even saying that Crysis 2 has a bigger scale than the original.

If you like Crysis 2 GREAT, if you didn't like it that's COOL too! just don't make stupid comments about either game and just see them and play them for what they are.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nekrono said:

Anyways.

People that have come here saying that Crysis 2 looks awful and plays like crap are just trolling obviously, if you don't like the game then that's fine but don't bash it like that either because it's better than A LOT of FPS out there.

I honestly think it's a good game with good moments and some pretty cool stuff, but there seems to be a lot of people here with their hype-goggles on still that are just so touchy when someone says Crysis is better or has better things than Crysis 2, it's those people that should get over the fact that Crysis 2 is SUPER AWESOME OR THE BEST FPS EVER and accept the fact that Crysis does certain things better and beats Crysis 2 single-handedly in some regards, Crysis 2 does this over Crysis as well.

My main 'complaints' have been with the people that post stupid arguments without any kind of foundation or proof, like saying how Crysis 2 is a technical marvel or how Crysis 2 has better physics than Crysis or even saying that Crysis 2 has a bigger scale than the original.

If you like Crysis 2 GREAT, if you didn't like it that's COOL too! just don't make stupid comments about either game and just see them and play them for what they are.
I can't think of anyone in this thread declaring that Crysis 2 is better in a definitive manner. I don't remember anyone stating that Crysis 2 had better physics. I can't remember anyone saying that Crysis 2 is larger in scale. The amount of hyperbole in your post is ridiculous. You act like this thread is packed with people are deepthroating C2 while laughing at C1 and that you have to defend it.

Nekrono

Stallion Free said:
I can't think of anyone in this thread declaring that Crysis 2 is better in a definitive manner. I don't remember anyone stating that Crysis 2 had better physics. I can't remember anyone saying that Crysis 2 is larger in scale. The amount of hyperbole in your post is ridiculous. You act like this thread is packed with people are deepthroating C2 while laughing at C1 and that you have to defend it.
Umm not it's not ridiculous you need to open your eyes more and see how many people here are saying "Crysis 2 BEST FPS EVER" or over-selling/hyping the game, which i'm fine with, and when someone says Crysis is better in this or that a lot of people come post here how that person is wrong or how Crysis 2 is better, it's like a hidden GAF Crysis 2 Defense Force, anyways to each his own.

And yes there's been people declaring all those things you need to check this thread more often, I really don't feel like looking for those posts just to prove it to you.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nekrono said:
Umm not it's not ridiculous you need to open your eyes more and see how many people here are saying "Crysis 2 BEST FPS EVER" or over-selling/hyping the game, which i'm fine with, and when someone says Crysis is better in this or that a lot of people come post here how that person is wrong or how Crysis 2 is better, it's like a hidden GAF Crysis 2 Defense Force, anyways to each his own.

And yes there's been people declaring all those things you need to check this thread more often, I really don't feel like looking for those posts just to prove it to you.
Hidden GAF Crysis 2 Defense Force lol.

Please do go find these BEST FPS EVER posts because I have followed this thread relatively closely and all I remember is the pleasant surprise when the game ended up being pretty fun and surprisingly long.

I mean if that's how you react to people in this thread, how did you keep from exploding when tons of idiots over the past couple years have declared Crysis to be a tech demo with shit gameplay?

Angelus Errare said:
Found your problem :p

just got the new drivers again and framerate seems to have gone back to 60. :D

what i dont get is that the night time scenes look better than the daytime scenes AND have better framerate!

scitek

Nekrono said:

Anyways.

I'm not going to argue with you about it, but I think the game is a technical marvel given the self-imposed limits they had to work in because of console development. Really, the performance of the game given how good it looks is second to none.

Kabuki Waq said:
just got the new drivers again and framerate seems to have gone back to 60. :D

what i dont get is that the night time scenes look better than the daytime scenes AND have better framerate!

Most likely due to light sources... I think. In Times Square you'll notice a huge jump in framerate when everything goes dark.

Nekrono

Stallion Free said:
Hidden GAF Crysis 2 Defense Force lol.

Please do go find these BEST FPS EVER posts because I have followed this thread relatively closely and all I remember is the pleasant surprise when the game ended up being pretty fun and surprisingly long.
Alright here are some of the "Crysis 2 has better or same physics than Crysis":
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26873221&postcount=8658
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26872622&postcount=8639
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26871944&postcount=8629
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26885668&postcount=8826

Those are some examples and there's more of the "Crysis 2 is bigger than Crysis" or how "Crysis 2 is better than Crysis or any other game" but i'm not going to make this a huge post or back track this thread a lot. Some people have gone as far as saying it's better than HL2 lol, which if it's their opinion is ok but don't make it look like a statement.

And yeah maybe i did exaggerate the Hidden GAF Crysis 2 Defense Force lol although it does feel like that at times, especially when people overlook some really low points of Crysis 2(like the A.I.) and still say it's a superb game.

However, if there was indeed a GAF Crysis 2 Defense Force this would probably be the leader:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26937777&postcount=9241
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26967020&postcount=9500
126eolk.jpg

Anyways, let's just agree to disagree or w/e lol, otherwise following up this 'discussion' will be pointless and derail the thread.

Stallion Free said:
I mean if that's how you react to people in this thread, how did you keep from exploding when tons of idiots over the past couple years have declared Crysis to be a tech demo with shit gameplay?
Oh trust me comments like those or some from this thread doesn't affect me at all! If anything it makes me laugh and see how shortsighted/retarded some people can be. :)

Dabanton

Well i must be near the end now

Just halfway through 'A walk In The Park' and the last two levels have been bonkers in terms of WTF i'm i seeing especially since this is running on a 360.

Impressed the game has kept up the pace for what has been a fairly long campaign.

Well done Crytek.

scitek

I got the bind commands to work. The key is to not put a "=", so it's like:

bind 7 hud_hide 0

and not

bind 7 hud_hide=0

scitek said:
I got the bind commands to work. The key is to not put a "=", so it's like:

bind 7 hud_hide 0

and not

bind 7 hud_hide=0
Tried like that also no dice :(

Maybe people might find this one interesting:

g_modevarivar_proHud = 0

Cuts the right part of the HUD (energy, suit modes, etc) but leaves all the prompts active, including the interactive scene ones.

I liked this one because it suits my needs:

hud_inputprompts_enabled = 0

I love the HUD but hate the stupid buttom prompts because Crytek used exact xbox iconography to represent buttons, I.E. blue X button of the controller so i doesnt match with the light green tones of the HUD. Also it get rids of scene prompts and the interaction prompts.

Well, it looks like its Nvidia and ATI that weren't ready for Crysis 2 with DX11 support, which would explain the beta drivers released. Nvidia 270/ ATI 11.4. The previous drivers didn't support multi-threaded rendering, which provides developers access to more processing cores.

Based on this Anandtech article, Civ V is currently the only PC game that is really supporting DX11. Dirt 2 just use some tessellation, Metro 2033 aswell.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=31520674&postcount=28

What is rhe fucking deal with the air stomp? I have been trying to stomp on someone's head in MP for 2 hours straight now. Do you have to land exactly on the dude's head? And they expect you to do it 50 times to upgrade it?!? Any tips on pulling off this impossible move, or was it just put in the game as a joke?

ArachosiA 78 said:
What is rhe fucking deal with the air stomp? I have been trying to stomp on someone's head in MP for 2 hours straight now. Do you have to land exactly on the dude's head? And they expect you to do it 50 times to upgrade it?!? Any tips on pulling off this impossible move, or was it just put in the game as a joke?
It's pretty worthless. I've never been able to get anyone with it and with such a vulnerable position it leaves you in I don't see much use in it.

ArachosiA 78 said:
It's the worst perk in the game and needs to either be reworked (larger radius, lower delay time after, less energy cost) or just removed altogether. It sucks in the campaign, too. Looks really cool and everything but it's got to be improved because it's not viable.

sleepykyo

ArachosiA 78 said:

Height based/momentum based damage. You would have to jump off of a really high spot or super jump of a high spot. I doubt I'll ever hit level 2 on that either.

Crunched said:
It's solid. Like a cross between Call of Duty and Halo. There's less Crysis 1 in here than I'd like, but it's not a bad game.

I don't think it's something that demands you run out and spend $60, but honestly you could do far worse.

Player movements and control is far improved, as is navigation -- minus the fact that you now move much slower. Sprint is standard CoD-speed. Strange as it still drains suit energy. Some have said this is due to the smaller environments. That may be the case, but in my eyes that's two problems now instead of one.

Each satellite "battlezone," I guess you could call them, each open area around the linear path is relatively large. Just as big as many similar battles in Crysis 1. So I don't think that's where the speed reduction comes from. One thing you will notice is paths are often preconceived for you. There's not much stopping you from the old cloack-unclock-shoot-cloak strategy, but you'll find paths scattered around ("tactical options" the game calls them), that are pretty much highlighted routes that work especially well for certain play styles. That's one of the major problems: the game highlights everything. It's nice when you're using the binocs to scout an area, but distracting and pandering when you're just trying to play normally. Like you wouldn't be able to figure these things out on your own.

I recommend turning off the HUD if you're on PC. It really improves the game.

AI is also a point of contention. I say it's worse, others say it's the same or better. There was an argument in this thread a bit earlier about the AI being the same but appearing worse because it's tougher for it to navigate these dense environments. If that's the case, I say why the hell wouldn't Crytek work on that? You don't put jello in a sandwich and expect it to come out right. If the Crysis 1 AI was merely dropped from that game and put into a game it wasn't prepared for, isn't that an even bigger slap in the face? I don't think that's true, but it's something that was being said earlier.

New York City here is more like New Generic City, but I don't think we were expecting much in that regard.

But like I said before: it's not bad. I can't think of a better city-set FPS. It's certainly better than Call of Duty and its kin. And outside of some rough textures, it looks magnificent, and runs like a dream.

YES. It runs perfectly on my desktop at 1920x1080, with a 5870. It runs usually at 30+ fps on my notebook, an Asus g50vt-x, at 1366x768, using OP's config with a few settings slightly knocked down. But Crysis 1 gets roughly 15 fps at the similar settings, all while looking worse. What Crytek's down with CE3 is nothing to laugh at. It is seriously impressive. I can't think of a better optimized game.

Incredible post thanks!

Q8D3vil

just finished the game.
gotta agree with the sites on giving it 8.5
the game definitely lack something , i think its the physics
sometime i feel like the guns don't have a feeling when you shoot aliens.
also dumb down suit is bothering me when using speed.

but the game got pretty good graphics and set pieces overall.

Nekrono

KKRT00 said:
Its normal Havoc physics, nothing amazing. The only amazing thing is explosion.
Sigh... this is exactly what i meant on my post earlier. People coming here making dumb statements without any kind of foundation.

But anyways.

Crysis and CryEngine 2 does not use Havok, they use their own physics engine.

And for the record... those are amazing physics.

Nekrono said:
Hahaha. This tickled me.

The more I experiment in areas, especially the opening location of Lab Rat, I find myself wishing for a prone position. That was one of the best things in Crysis - lying in the grass and picking off people etc etc. I know there's no real grass to do that with in this game, but there's a lot of spots where I would like to be able to lie down to hide better (it's easy for enemies to spot you crouching behind walls from some angles) and also just because it feels fucking cool to snipe in prone.

I find it really odd they've removed. I see no reason why they would.

scitek said:
I'm not going to argue with you about it, but I think the game is a technical marvel given the self-imposed limits they had to work in because of console development. Really, the performance of the game given how good it looks is second to none.

Its the best performing modern game engine on the market and it also delivers more advanced technology and effects with the restrictive DX9 API than anyone has ever managed with much more open API's like DX11. Of course its a technical marvel, its a technical marvel without a parallel across the whole industry.

Nekrono said:
Alright here are some of the "Crysis 2 has better or same physics than Crysis":
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26873221&postcount=8658
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26872622&postcount=8639
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26871944&postcount=8629
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26885668&postcount=8826

Those are some examples and there's more of the "Crysis 2 is bigger than Crysis" or how "Crysis 2 is better than Crysis or any other game" but i'm not going to make this a huge post or back track this thread a lot. Some people have gone as far as saying it's better than HL2 lol, which if it's their opinion is ok but don't make it look like a statement.

And yeah maybe i did exaggerate the Hidden GAF Crysis 2 Defense Force lol although it does feel like that at times, especially when people overlook some really low points of Crysis 2(like the A.I.) and still say it's a superb game.

However, if there was indeed a GAF Crysis 2 Defense Force this would probably be the leader:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26937777&postcount=9241
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26967020&postcount=9500
126eolk.jpg

Anyways, let's just agree to disagree or w/e lol, otherwise following up this 'discussion' will be pointless and derail the thread.

Oh trust me comments like those or some from this thread doesn't affect me at all! If anything it makes me laugh and see how shortsighted/retarded some people can be. :)

The physics " engine" is no worse, its improved in fact as it now supports proper procedural destruction. There's simply fewer objects to interact with this time, which means it has less impact on gameplay and is pushed much less.

spermatic cord said:
It's pretty worthless. I've never been able to get anyone with it and with such a vulnerable position it leaves you in I don't see much use in it.

I've only seen it successful one time. Some guy jumped from the highest building on Skyline and killed a friend and me. I fucking shitstormed and nearly broke my fucking disc.

FUCK THAT FAGGOT

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Have played an hour of the pcversion now, the difference between the 360 version and the pc version was , as expected, enormous. I did myself a huge disservice by slogging angrily through the 360 version. I wish I had hold out for my new pc but I really wanted to try the game out I guess...

What could this dx11 "patch" potentially bring to the table other than tesselation?

edit : Scott Chillgrim, might wanna edit that if you plan on staying on GAF long enough to lose your junior tag...

Scott Chillgrim said:
I've only seen it successful one time. Some guy jumped from the highest building on Skyline and killed a friend and me. I fucking shitstormed and nearly broke my fucking disc.

FUCK THAT FAGGOT

Smh.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
brain_stew said:
Its the best performing modern game engine on the market and it also delivers more advanced technology and effects with the restrictive DX9 API than anyone has ever managed with much more open API's like DX11. Of course its a technical marvel, its a technical marvel without a parallel across the whole industry.

I really think this is well put, at first I forgot to enable SLI so for the first 5-10 minutes I was running the game on one gtx 560 ti and still was ( what felt like ) playing between 40-60fps on the highest settings + custom config.

Top Bottom