• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Please stop quoting that guy... 150 posts in this thread trashing the game out of like 300 total he's made on this forum. Of course, since he's a pro, most of them have a subtle, back-handed compliment in them to prevent being called out, like "I think the game is good but <paragraphs of "truth" trying to convince us otherwise>...". I certainly wouldn't post 150 times in a thread for a game I don't even like that much, but that's just me.

Nekrono

adelante said:
Well, that is if you even have anything worthy to contribute in the discussion but hey no problem! =D
Lol, the funny thing is that it wasn't me who started the physics talk but if my 'contribution' of pointing out the truth like Crysis does not use Havok(which is how all of this started) is not worthy then I don't really know what else is, yours truly isn't... based on that logic, but it's all good :).
Heavy said:
Please stop quoting that guy... 150 posts in this thread trashing the game out of like 300 total he's made on this forum. Of course, since he's a pro, most of them have a subtle, back-handed compliment in them to prevent being called out, like "I think the game is good but <paragraphs of trying to convince us otherwise>...". I certainly wouldn't post 150 times in a thread for a game I don't even like that much, but that's just me.
LOL you're the one to talk about trying to 'convince' others? LMAO, learn to read dude don't be so butt-hurt when someone is talking about the flaws Crysis 2 has. I didn't know OT's were exclusive to just talk about how amazing and great a game is.

Get fucking real and stop saying i'm trashing this game when i'm obviously not if not why would I say it's a good game? It's certainly waaay above most shooters out there nowadays.

Every comment I've made about the game good or bad I've followed it with some sort of foundation, unlike you or some other people that just feel like coming here and just post retarded stuff. Like for example "Crysis 2 physics are better than Crysis", etc.

Oh and if i've posted a lot here it's because this was my most anticipated game of 2011.

I have criticized the game a ton; ripped the AI to hell, the first few hours of the campaign, nanopoint bugs, the multi-player bugs, the story, characters, and more.

Get fucking real and stop saying i'm trashing this game when i'm obviously not if not why would I say it's a good game?
lol

adelante

Heavy said:
Please stop quoting that guy... 150 posts in this thread trashing the game out of like 300 total he's made on this forum. Of course, since he's a pro, most of them have a subtle, back-handed compliment in them to prevent being called out, like "I think the game is good but <paragraphs of "truth" trying to convince us otherwise>...". I certainly wouldn't post 150 times in a thread for a game I don't even like that much, but that's just me.
I couldn't agree more with that statement but you're right, I'll refrain from further retorts =)

Nekrono said:
Alright here are some of the "Crysis 2 has better or same physics than Crysis":
Sax Russel said:
Crysis 1 had more destructibility
Derp? Derp

I don't know what else there you'd care to dispute.
Crysis 2 doesn't have objects you can throw around?
Crysis 1's destructible buildings weren't all stacked together loose parts? (Go load up Crysis 1 and try to blow up the concrete or brick walled buildings, let me know how that goes)
Crysis 2 doesn't have certain trees you can cut down?
Crysis 1 doesn't have a ton of trees you can't?

And a few posts down.

Sax Russel said:
I admitted Crysis 1 did it better, and I'm not saying Crysis 2 didn't compromise
I'm obviously Crysis 2 defense force-ing hard here, BLINDED by it even. God I'm almost as bad as this other guy:

Nekrono said:
Lol Crysis 2 physics are almost non existent.

Edit: Sorry Heavy, I won't anymore =P

Nekrono

Heavy said:
I have criticized the game a ton; ripped the AI to hell, the first few hours of the campaign, nanopoint bugs, the multi-player bugs, the story, characters, and more.
Ok and thats cool, but you just seem to be so defensive of this game and over-hyping it, etc. Which is cool but again don't be so touchy when people are criticizing, especially the people who had higher expectations.

Saying that myself, or other people like me are trashing the game because of that is really uncalled for.

Sax Russel said:
Edit: Sorry Heavy, I won't anymore =P
It's true when compared to the first game.

Lol and people made fun of me when I mentioned GAF Crysis 2 Defense Force.
KuGsj.gif

Melee combat in this game is a joke. Otherwise multiplayer is decent. What's everyone's favorite map? Parking Deck is great for extraction and crash site. Plus all those kickable cars allow for some pretty hilarious kills.

n0b

The last page was hurting my brain. Protip: The crysis barrels video was prerendered using the engine's recording feature because that isn't going to work in realtime on any computer.

Crysis 1 spent most of its time in shanty towns and jungles, when you were in more solid areas full of concrete or a forest with anything besides palm trees it had a similar lack of physics. A concrete world wouldn't feel solid if it collapsed after a few quick jabs, and guess what? Crysis 2 is set in New York.

Nekrono

Heavy said:
I've criticized it a lot, but feel free to continue with your selective reading.
Selective reading? Try your selective judgement when talking about the game or posting here.

You say you've criticized a lot but that's only like 1% of the total posts you've made here, most of them just overselling this game so much.

n0b said:
This page is hurting my brain. Protip: The crysis barrels video was prerendered using the engine's recording feature because that isn't going to work in realtime on any computer.

Crysis 1 spent most of its time in shanty towns and jungles, when you were in more solid areas full of concrete or a forest with anything besides palm trees it had a similar lack of physics. A concrete world wouldn't feel solid if it collapsed after a few quick jabs, and guess what? Crysis 2 is set in New York.
Holy crap can we please put the physics argument to bed?

It's a design compromise from 1-2, the amount of physicalized OBJECTS per level is greatly reduced period. There's no magical engine downgrade, the guts are the same, but it no longer showcases the physics engine as part of the game design.

Nekrono

MickeyKnox said:
Holy crap can we please put the physics argument to bed?

It's a design compromise from 1-2, the amount of physicalized OBJECTS per level is greatly reduced period. There's no magical engine downgrade, the guts are the same, but it no longer showcases the physics engine as part of the game design.
I don't think the debate has been whether the engine supports the same physics as it's predecessor, at least that's not what i've been talking about, for me personally it's about how Crytek did not implemented physics found in Crysis in Crysis 2 SP.

People talk about reduced scale, reduced objects, etc, but there's SOO MUCH MORE that could be done in terms of physics with the game as it is right now without adding extra objects or a scenario like the one in the first game.

Dennis

Banned
Nekrono said:
People talk about reduced scale, reduced objects, etc, but there's SOO MUCH MORE that could be done in terms of physics with the game as it is right now without adding extra objects or a scenario like the one in the first game.
The main thing missing there is destructabillity and I am guessing this is a console restraint.

We can discuss endlessly what might have been if CryTek had developed the game for 2011 PCs instead of a making a multiplatform game....but they didn't.

I wish they did. But they didn't. And considering this, I think the game turned out great.

Nekrono

DennisK4 said:
The main thing missing there is destructabillity and I am guessing this is a console restraint.
Indeed, and destructabillity in Crysis means physics. Even with pre-baked destructabillity the game could have been much better, odd choice from Crytek.

DennisK4 said:
We can discuss endlessly what might have been if CryTek had developed the game for 2011 PCs instead of a making a multiplatform game....but they didn't.

I wish they did. But they didn't. And considering this, I think the game turned out great.
Same here, i hope they're more focused on PC and current hardware and technology to take advantage of them when making Crysis 3.

kamspy

Just imagine the eventual Half Life 3 thread if it get's a console release. GAF will implode. Even the MW2 thread leveled off into constructive dialog. We're still repeating the same things here.

My favorite thing about Crysis 2, more than the TAA, the NOVA 12. I haven't fired a pistol with such report since the first Halo. NOVA is truly the best pistol in the history of FPS.

spermatic cord said:
Melee combat in this game is a joke. Otherwise multiplayer is decent. What's everyone's favorite map? Parking Deck is great for extraction and crash site. Plus all those kickable cars allow for some pretty hilarious kills.

Got a double car kill the other day on that map, felt like a total badass.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
kamspy said:
Just imagine the eventual Half Life 3 thread if it get's a console release. GAF will implode. Even the MW2 thread leveled off into constructive dialog. We're still repeating the same things here.

My favorite thing about Crysis 2, more than the TAA, the NOVA 12. I haven't fired a pistol with such report since the first Halo. NOVA is truly the best pistol in the history of FPS.
I love the Nova when I'm going stealthy
except for the fact the game never fucking remembers that I have the silencer unlocked.

I actually like firing the Hammer a lot. It feels really good.

I don't think Nekrono is really being trollish, and I think it's quite ironic that Heavy is calling him out for trying to "persuade" people one way or another about this game when he's the most heavy handed pro-Crysis 2 poster on the forum (to the extent I nearly put him on ignore early on).

Anyway, I played a lot more of the game again today and I've just got the alien bits. I definitely feel that the start of the game is the strongest area, as the levels where the aliens are your main enemies really don't hold my interest, especially now on a repeat playthrough. Am I the only one who feels like this? It seems that it's generally accepted that the aliens are the best enemies in the game, but as dumbshit as the human AI is I still find them more fun to fight. I think it's just the satisfaction of "outwitting" humans and then seeing their bodies fly when I kill them. It's not so satisfying with this abstract alien race.

I'm looking forward to reaching the night levels again, though. I'm going to try a couple of new tactics that I think will make those sections great - and it's just the prettiest part of the game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This Crysis crisis is tearing us apart!

I wonder how hard it would be to get Cry1 multi maps to run in Cry2. It would make for nice free DLC.

vazel

Banned
Perhaps people will be more critical in a few months once the hype has died down. At least the people that played Crysis 1.

I literally played Crysis 1 for the first time only a couple weeks before I bought Crysis 2 and felt disappointed by the more constricted and scripted experience I played in C2. I wish I waited for a Steam sale. On the upside I'm happy that consolized games still perform well on my 9800GTX, I ran C2 at 1080p at 30-40fps.

DennisK4 said:

What a ridiculous line of thought.

I wish the restaurant I ate at last night cooked my meal with fresh ingredients, they didn't they got them all from the garbage, and considering that, it tasted pretty good.

KKRT00

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't think Nekrono is really being trollish, and I think it's quite ironic that Heavy is calling him out for trying to "persuade" people one way or another about this game when he's the most heavy handed pro-Crysis 2 poster on the forum (to the extent I nearly put him on ignore early on).

Anyway, I played a lot more of the game again today and I've just got the alien bits. I definitely feel that the start of the game is the strongest area, as the levels where the aliens are your main enemies really don't hold my interest, especially now on a repeat playthrough. Am I the only one who feels like this? It seems that it's generally accepted that the aliens are the best enemies in the game, but as dumbshit as the human AI is I still find them more fun to fight. I think it's just the satisfaction of "outwitting" humans and then seeing their bodies fly when I kill them. It's not so satisfying with this abstract alien race.

I'm looking forward to reaching the night levels again, though. I'm going to try a couple of new tactics that I think will make those sections great - and it's just the prettiest part of the game.
I thought the same. First few encounters with aliens are quite boring, especially when You're comparing it to Lab Rat [awesome level], but it's getting better later. But i still think that fighting with humans is more organic, aliens are quite repetitive and has crappy weapons, cell soldiers are more vulnerable, but have more deadly weapons and work more as a team.

I'wish animation transitions would be faster, i know that Crytek wanted this game to has a little realistic feel, but i would really wish to have faster animation for like grabbing guys, throwing stuff or switching weapons.

iNvid02

pros
+ controller support is great
+ best looking game out today
+ playable on my system
+ not a cod clone

cons
- stupid ai
- feel cramped at times with invisible walls
- random bugs like unable to melee stuff
- lack of customisation options

cant think of anything else
almost all the cons can be fixed with updates, see what happens

MickeyKnox said:

I wish the restaurant I ate at last night cooked my meal with fresh ingredients, they didn't they got them all from the garbage, and considering that, it tasted pretty good.
I agree with Dennis. When I was constantly comparing it to Crysis it felt empty and ten steps back, but when I accepted it's not what Crytek could do this time with the console restraints and looked at what they still did right is when I started to enjoy it.

You analogy doesn't really work at all. It's more like going to a small restaurant after being used to a posh one and not getting the same sort of service, but at the end of the day still getting good food.

KKRT00 said:
I thought the same. First few encounter with aliens are quite boring, especially when You're comparing it to Lab Rat [awesome level], but it's getting better later. But i still think that fighting with humans is more organic, aliens are quite repetitive and has crappy weapons, cell soldiers are more vulnerable, but have more deadly weapons and work more as a team.

I'wish animation transitions would be faster, i know that Crytek wanted this game to has a little realistic feel, but i would really wish to have faster animation for like grabbing guys, throwing stuff or switching weapons.
Glad to see I'm not the only one :)

Foliorum Viridum said:
I agree with Dennis. When I was constantly comparing it to Crysis it felt empty and ten steps back, but when I accepted it's not what Crytek could do this time with the console restraints and looked at what they still did right is when I started to enjoy it.

You analogy doesn't really work at all. It's more like going to a small restaurant after being used to a posh one and not getting the same sort of service, but at the end of the day still getting good food.
It's like something out of a Seligman and Maier experiment.

Oh please. I'm sure your elitist attitude of NOT ACCEPTING ANYTHING BUT THE BEST means you enjoy about one game a year. You have to accept restraints with any medium and although I wish to God Crytek made a sequel that was better than the first game I'm not too stubborn to bash my head against the wall when they don't crying about it. Instead I see it for what it is and got some enjoyment out of it.

Dennis

Banned
MickeyKnox said:

What a stinker of a post you made.

When I bought the game I did so with open eyes. I knew it woudn't be like Crysis because the open levels would be absent. I also knew that other aspects would be different.

I judge the game from its actual premise - a multiplatform game - in the same way that I judge every other game, by evaluating how much I enjoyed the game. And then I am, shockingly apparently, also capable of judging a game by the limits it was developed under.

By your standard I should only consume games that are made for high-end PCs and nothing else.

Enosh

whoever had the briliant idea for stats to only update after you leave the server is the biggest god damned moron in the history of this god forsaken world and should be castrated, skinned alive, shoot and quartered

shuri

Banned
finished the game today, what a terrible ending; even the final levels were meh as hell, the 2nd part of the game felt like a rethread of the first part.. It's a shame, the game has good gameplay but the missions are simply incredibly repetitive, and i kinda stopped caring by the end -- i would just run and jump my way around instead of fighting.

It's a shame, the game had such potential.. First purchase of 2011 that I regret, heck I enjoyed Splatterhouse more :(

kamspy

I'm still really interested in a list of shooters with better A.I. Not to troll, but so I can play them.

Right now I'm at Halo and Killzone (debatable).

kamspy said:
I'm still really interested in a list of shooters with better A.I. Not to troll, but so I can play them.

Honestly it's been a long time since I've played a game with such noticably bad AI. It's not that other games have amazing AI, because most don't, but very few have such obvious flaws. In this game you can explode three guys with a grenade and the fourth enemy that survived right next of them stays still, snipe one of two enemies who were talking and the second doesn't flinch, or find three getting stuck on a staircase/doorway and none of them moving out of the way.

When they're not doing that shit the AI is fine and comparable to other games, but when it's bad it's worse than other FPS.

One thing that really puzzled me about Crysis 2 is that they didn't use some of the larger enviroments that well, often more content with flooding enemies into smaller areas than heavily using the larger areas.

For example, the area outside the Hargreve-Rasch building is huge, yet there are just a few patrolling enemies and a scripted scene involving a turret. And it's immediatly followed by a massive firefight in what is essentially a series of corridors.

kamspy said:

Pretty much anything current beats C2 in the AI department. It's not just crappy AI, but it glitches all the time to get stuck on objects, take cover on wrong side of things, running into walls, walking on air, running off cliffs. COD games probably are not good comparison since it is overly scripted shooting gallery AI placement rather than actual AI

Crytek 'officially' announced the DX11 patch for PC yesterday. Kinda sucks though because my laptop's GPU is DX10.1, so I can't use it/get a performance benefit from it. DX10 is the middle child of recent DirectX updates... already surpassed by DX11. :\

Does anyone know if DX10 GPU's have partial DX11 support since they support some of the DX11 feature set? So could I run Crysis 2 DX11 but without the fancy extra 'full' DX11 effects like tesselation etc, but perhaps with a performance boost from the DX11 code?

Cobra84

BoobPhysics101 said:
Does anyone know if DX10 GPU's have partial DX11 support since they support some of the DX11 feature set? So could I run Crysis 2 DX11 but without the fancy extra 'full' DX11 effects like tesselation etc, but perhaps with a performance boost from the DX11 code?
DX11 is backwards compatible, but DX10 and 10.1 don't get the extra DX11 features.

Van Buren

Done with the game on post-human, and I've got to echo some of the disappointment I've read here. As a successor to Crysis, and coming from Crytek, who have expanded the depth in their game design with each game, I found Crysis 2 to not stack up favorably to its predecessor. Crysis 1 had a drastic change of pace midway through the game, but the highs it hit before propelled the game to a place amongst my favorite fps campaigns, occupied by the likes of Wolf 3d and Half Life 1. In comparison to Crysis, outside of rare instances, the encounters in the relatively-claustrophobic environments in Crysis 2 weren't as much fun. Even today, I get the urge to load up Assault in Crysis and experiment with new ways to complete the level. Sad to say, I doubt I'd replay the campaign in Crysis 2 again, barring a sightseeing tour following the release of the DX11 patch.

Taken in a vacuum, Crysis 2 is more than competent, and even appears great when compared to the bog-standard creatively-bankrupt shooters that plague consoles by and large. But my expectations for a sequel to one of my favorite fps campaigns, 3 1/2 years in the making, dictate that the game ought to have expanded on the areas that worked in Crysis, while matching, if not surpassing its quality; unfortunately, getting a sequel that didn't build on the strengths of the original, and and which instead opts to downscale its level design has fueled my disappointment.

Shockingly, the graphics were a mixed bag, but I attribute this to Crysis having spoiled me with the impact its visuals had ( and still continue to have). I think the chief culprit here is the change in the lighting direction in the sequel; the original tried to get as close to photo-realistic visuals as possible, and this was reflected in the lighting being subtle yet effective. In contrast, the lighting direction in the sequel appears to be more stylized, almost like as if it if wants to resemble a scene in a blockbuster hollywood film. Count me in the camp that loves the understated lighting direction of Crysis 1. That's not to say that the visuals in 2 were mediocre, or anything equally ridiculous - the night scenes were jawdropping, to say the least.

At this point, I'm hoping for the release of the sandbox editor so that modders can get to work upping the texture resolution and tinkering with the Time of Day settings to show us what the engine is truly capable of. A few custom large-sized maps to play around in won't hurt either.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What is it about the alien models on 360 that makes them look so different than the PC version? Their texturing looks so weird to me, almost like the most detailed texture never fully loads in. The reddish/orange texture that looks like their "flowing hair" just looks so bad to me. I thought this through the entire game.

I swear to god, If you lock multiplayer modes based on levels I wont play! It is so stupid that the only interesting mode to me is locked until 18. I doubt this game will be around long multi wise, as it is utter trash.

MisterAnderson said:
My problem is I can't even collect any at all though...

The more you collect before exit the more you have to collect before it starts registering you as having it, or something. I've managed to replay levels to get all the upgrades except the completely useless cloak tracker, but I had to play like 5 levels consecutively to gather enough because the first 2 levels I played just had me chilling on 0 catalyst even though I was picking loads of it up.

Got about 4 or so levels under my belt so far and I'm enjoying this way more than the first. The only issue I can think of is the visor which is somewhat optional, though it does automatically clue me in when I get to an area with multiple paths which annoys me (reminds me of the Deus Ex glow >:l). But other than that it's pretty enjoyable so far.

Ickman3400 said:
Got about 4 or so levels under my belt so far and I'm enjoying this way more than the first. The only issue I can think of is the visor which is somewhat optional, though it does automatically clue me in when I get to an area with multiple paths which annoys me (reminds me of the Deus Ex glow >:l). But other than that it's pretty enjoyable so far.
Glad you finally got it. What's your play style been so far? Try this versus the human soldiers:

Scarab + silencer + red dot sight + single fire mode + stealth + aim for the head.

If you haven't done Lab Rab yet (I think level 4 or 5), try it with that setup... so fun.

Top Bottom