• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

kinggroin

Banned
Scott Chillgrim said:
I've only seen it successful one time. Some guy jumped from the highest building on Skyline and killed a friend and me. I fucking shitstormed and nearly broke my fucking disc.

FUCK THAT FAGGOT

oh dip.

@ brainstew - the beef folks seem to have, is that for the technical marvel crytek's latest engine is, it sure seems to be pushed far less than its predecessor. Maybe its a result of trying to bring parity across the board performance wise, what with the consoles being massively underpowered compared to a mid range rig.

the beef folks seem to have, is that for the technical marvel crytek's latest engine is, it sure seems to be pushed far less than its predecessor. Maybe its a result of trying to bring parity across the board performance wise, what with the consoles being massively underpowered compared to a mid range rig.

That seems pretty logical. If the console version were vastly inferior performance wise to the PC, it would seem like an infinitely shittier game. As such, people would probably hate it (more so, anyway?).

Corky said:
Have played an hour of the pcversion now, the difference between the 360 version and the pc version was , as expected, enormous. I did myself a huge disservice by slogging angrily through the 360 version. I wish I had hold out for my new pc but I really wanted to try the game out I guess...

What could this dx11 "patch" potentially bring to the table other than tesselation?

edit : Scott Chillgrim, might wanna edit that if you plan on staying on GAF long enough to lose your junior tag...

Well, it looks like its Nvidia and ATI that weren't ready for Crysis 2 with DX11 support, which would explain the beta drivers released. Nvidia 270/ ATI 11.4. The previous drivers didn't support multi-threaded rendering, which provides developers access to more processing cores.

Based on this Anandtech article, Civ V is currently the only PC game that is really supporting DX11. Dirt 2 just use some tessellation, Metro 2033 aswell.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost...4&postcount=28

neoism

Stallion Free said:
Eh, I would say it's one step forward one step back. I felt very satisfied for my 60$ though.
this... I paid 60 got 20 hours in and will definitely put at least 20+ more from mods and tweaking it over the years . I haven't and probably won't touch multiplayer either, and it was still worth it. :)

also thanks for the bind commands.... slow mo is AWESOME!

OG_Original Gamer said:
Well, it looks like its Nvidia and ATI that weren't ready for Crysis 2 with DX11 support, which would explain the beta drivers released. Nvidia 270/ ATI 11.4. The previous drivers didn't support multi-threaded rendering, which provides developers access to more processing cores.

Based on this Anandtech article, Civ V is currently the only PC game that is really supporting DX11. Dirt 2 just use some tessellation, Metro 2033 aswell.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost...4&postcount=28
that link is broken.

and Dirt 2 and Metro do more than just tessellation.

KKRT00

Nekrono said:
Sigh... this is exactly what i meant on my post earlier. People coming here making dumb statements without any kind of foundation.

But anyways.

Crysis and CryEngine 2 does not use Havok, they use their own physics engine.

And for the record... those are amazing physics.
What foundation do You want?

This is enough? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWUMto_ibas
A game works only on Havoc ...

End with this uber Crysis 1 physics crap.

Ps. Every physic engine has a demo that shows similar stuff. Its nothing impressive, really.
Procedural destruction, deformation, fluid mechanics are.

123rl

I completed it earlier. The last level was ok but I expected something a bit more substantial. It was a great experience though. I really enjoyed the single player mode though , far more than any other recent FPS game.

neoism

fucking awesome just found out there's goina be a Dx11 patch... :D :D :D :D

KKRT00 said:
What slow motion command? :>
bind 0 Hud_Hide 1
bind 9 Hud_Hide 0
bind 8 t_scale .4
bind 7 t_scale 1
put it in your autoexec file

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
On the airstomp subject, I have been trying to figure it out myself, since I have never killed or been killed by anyone using it. One guy damaged me one time, but i just calmly shot him to death as he was stuck crouched for what seems like forever. Maybe it does more damage if you're in armor mode? Since it's an armor perk?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Scott Chillgrim said:
FUCK THAT FAGGOT
KuhZk.jpg

sad Feline

What is going on?! :lol

Also what's up with that dogtag achievement? Is that multiplayer only? Because I got every dog tag in single player. Thanks.

BIVIANO!

Neuromancer said:
What is going on?! :lol

Also what's up with that dogtag achievement? Is that multiplayer only? Because I got every dog tag in single player. Thanks.
Multiplayer only. One is for killing 20 people and collecting their dogtags and the other one is for unlocking 150 of them.

Mr. Sam

Oh my God, the multplayer just keeps freezing! It froze just now after I unlocked a whole bunch of awards. Doubt that got saved. I feel like beating my head against a wall.

liger05

Is there a major bug in this game?

i'm trying to defend the evac site from a seph attack but am stuck because I cant pick up th damn JAW. Im getting a message saying 'cant carry anymore'. I need the weapon as one of those big robots needs to be beaten.

Usually it would just give me the option to pick it up with X. I dont understand. It allows me to pick up C4 but I then cant use it. It says picked up but then just dissapears.

arena08

liger05 said:
Is there a major bug in this game?

i'm trying to defend the evac site from a seph attack but am stuck because I cant pick up th damn JAW. Im getting a message saying 'cant carry anymore'. I need the weapon as one of those big robots needs to be beaten.

Usually it would just give me the option to pick it up with X. I dont understand. It allows me to pick up C4 but I then cant use it. It says picked up but then just dissapears.

Push right on the d-pad.

TheExodu5

Banned
KKRT00 said:

Ps. Every physic engine has a demo that shows similar stuff. Its nothing impressive, really.

How can you even compare that to the Crysis video I posted? The watermelons clearly clip into each other, for one. The Crysis 1 video I posted is impressive because it shows pretty much the most accurate physics I've seen in any game. Everything is perfectly natural, and there's no clipping whatsoever. Just, perfect physics.

And really, besides the clipping, that's not how a mountain of watermelons would behave as more fall onto them. They're acting more like frictionless liquid particles than real watermelons. It's like the physics uncanny valley.

I was finally able to get the game and wow the game really is amazing. I'm using the config in the OP with a couple minor adjustments but there's still a bit of blur that is distracting me, anyone know what to do (I'm not that familiar with all this stuff)? I have edge AA turned off because I read here that it was bad and MSAA at 2

Game runs so much smoother though. On 1920x1080 with the settings in the OP the lowest I dropped to was 28 but even in a fight I stay at 30 usually. It taxes the hell out of my system though, my GPU is consistently in the 89-91 degree range. Looks so damn good, it's just the blur is somewhat bothering me.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
I'm probably about two thirds through the game right now, but to be honest I'm not really sure. I can't tell you where I am, because I don't know. My point is that the game really doesn't do a good job of actively moving along the story and involving you, well either that or it really isn't that interesting. I tried to read up on the Wikipedia and it talked about all this stuff I've already apparently done and I thought "I don't remember doing this". Kind of hampering my enjoyment, but the gunplay is great.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone else on PS3 (or any platform) getting a messed up HUD when replaying missions? It never did this on a full playthrough but whenever I select a specific mission I get a really blurry HUD. It constantly shifts between being normal and blurry and it's distracting.

Q8D3vil

Refreshment.01 said:
Same physics in Crysis 2. Only difference SanbBox 3 editor hasn't seen public release so you can't do that.
i didn't get the same feeling when i throw objects or enemies.
i just tried crysis 1 and the physics feeling was way better.

Q8D3vil said:
i didn't get the same feeling when i throw objects or enemies.
i just tried crysis 1 and the physics feeling was way better.
Yes, there are some adjustments to some entities. But the point is both games are managed by equally capable physics engine. A barrel in Crysis 1 behaves exactly like a barrel in Cry 2 at least to the naked eye. Same buoyancy, friction factors, mass, etc.

If you get access to SandBox 3 you´ll have fun piling those barrels the same way :D
But too bad it isn´t, because by know we could be playing Cry 2 on PC with same physics settings of Cry 1.

They toned down throwing enemies efectiveness easier to do in Crysis 1, also disabled AI triping with each other, this one for good because AI would look even more stupid than already is. Other thing i miss from Cry 1 is how vehicles went flying after an explosion.
MickeyKnox said:
On the physics tip, all you motherfuckers need to understand that it's the SAME engine.
I´ll drink to that. Can´t really understand how easily this fact escapes people reasoning.

As a matter of fact IIRC, they expanded the physics part of the engine with some shortcut tools. Think theres a video were Crytek shows some basic fluid dynamics like liquid over liquid propagation.

Edit:This reminds me. Dissapointed with almost 0 uses of soft materials. When Alcatraz reaches Hardgreave place it feels so sterile, to put it in someway. The place is full of rigid curtains it takes me out of the experience :(
Nekrono said:
They probably are the same physics, I assume CryEngine3 supports them but if so why Crytek didn't showcase them in their game like they did in Crysis? That's what makes me sad and is quite disappointing. But i'm sure when the editor comes out someone will start posting crazy stuff like the first game.

Oh and Crysis does have 'uber physics' it's just a fact, for a lot of people it's the game with the best physics out there, it's certainly not the first one to come out showcasing them, but it's definitely the one that took it to a whole new level.

I wished the same could be said about Crysis 2 but they didn't even bothered much to put 'complex' physics in the game, it's pretty basic, but oh well.
Answering in bold order:
Why they took the game design decision to turn off some entities? Only Crytek knows that exactly. Hadn´t they locked the game like it is now and with the editor launched we could be playing with an exact replica of the phsycal properties of Crysis 1 with no problems.

Yep, Crysis games features uber physics. But take in to account the most impressive things came from modders using the sandbox editor, specially impressive stuff in the particle department.

Last bold. Gameplay wise the physics gap isn´t that important. You still can pile stuff to reach places or knock enemies down with objects to name some popular use of phycis in the other Cry games.

On the physics tip, all you motherfuckers need to understand that it's the SAME engine.

So the actual way that the physics calculations are done are still exactly the same.

The difference is in the amount of objects per level that are physicalized as part of the game's core design. In C1 they followed a naturalistic design strategy, where everything you could reasonably expect to interact with was in fact a physics object, in C2 they used a movie set design strategy where most of the geometric entities are there only to sell a cursory glance at the game world which falls apart the second you try to interact with it.

Nekrono

brain_stew said:
The physics " engine" is no worse, its improved in fact as it now supports proper procedural destruction. There's simply fewer objects to interact with this time, which means it has less impact on gameplay and is pushed much less.
Refreshment.01 said:
Same physics in Crysis 2. Only difference SanbBox 3 editor hasn't seen public release so you can't do that.
They probably are the same physics, I assume CryEngine3 supports them but if so why Crytek didn't showcase them in their game like they did in Crysis? That's what makes me sad and is quite disappointing. But i'm sure when the editor comes out someone will start posting crazy stuff like the first game.

KKRT00 said:

By foundation i meant a link or something that founded your statement of "It's normal Havok physics" how can you even say that when the game doesn't even use that engine?

Oh and that video is nowhere near the video TheExodu5 posted, you could might as well have posted the PS3's Duck Tech demo for better lulz.

Oh and Crysis does have 'uber physics' it's just a fact, for a lot of people it's the game with the best physics out there, it's certainly not the first one to come out showcasing them, but it's definitely the one that took it to a whole new level.

I wished the same could be said about Crysis 2 but they didn't even bothered much to put 'complex' physics in the game, it's pretty basic, but oh well.

Stallion Free said:
I can't think of anyone in this thread declaring that Crysis 2 is better in a definitive manner. I don't remember anyone stating that Crysis 2 had better physics. I can't remember anyone saying that Crysis 2 is larger in scale. The amount of hyperbole in your post is ridiculous. You act like this thread is packed with people are deepthroating C2 while laughing at C1 and that you have to defend it.

I can think of three at least that do think part 2 shits on one. I'd have to go search but I definitely remember that.

TheExodu5

Banned
I never said Crysis 1 has better physics than Crysis 2...I was just posting the video because obviously there aren't really any sections to showcase the physics in Crysis 2.

One thing I'd be interested to know: what's the difference in between the different levels of physics settings in Crysis 1? Does the setting actually affect the precision of the calculations?

KKRT00

DennisK4 said:
Thats not an AI bug, thats an industrial accident. These occur in real life building sites as well.
I never said its a bug ;], but its selfpwnage. One CELL NPC pushed it on others.

@Nekrono
Those videos [Oblivion and Sandbox editor] shows exactly the same physics and laws, [except explosion].
And there are games based on physics like for example sim games, if You're talking about talking physics to a new level. Crysis 1 just had more objects that interact with world, but only because it was in other setting and there are almost no procedural deformation/destruction because it cost memory.

But EOT, live in Your imagined world.

Nekrono

TheExodu5 said:
One thing I'd be interested to know: what's the difference in between the different levels of physics settings in Crysis 1? Does the setting actually affect the precision of the calculations?
Physics Quality:

This setting controls the impact of physics on the game world. The higher the setting, the more interactive and realistic the game world will be, and in turn the more gameplay options you will have available to you when determining things like combat strategy. The most significant impacts of this setting at each level below Very High are:

High: Slight reduction in some breakage effects, and the amount of vegetation affected by wind.
Medium: Further reduction in some breakage effects, and a reduction in the amount of distant vegetation affected both by wind and general physics
Low: Significant reduction in realism - no longer are you able to break objects or buildings, even when using weaponry, and most vegetation will no longer be affected by wind, nor will move when brushed against or shot, though you can still cut down trees. This reduction in physics has an important impact on Crysis gameplay, and it is strongly recommended that you do not use Low physics for this reason.
Taken from here.
KKRT00 said:
@Nekrono
Those videos [Oblivion and Sandbox editor] shows exactly the same physics and laws, [except explosion].
And there are games based on physics like for example sim games, if You're talking about talking physics to a new level. Crysis 1 just had more object that interact with worlds, but its only because it was in other settings and there are almost no procedural deformation because it cost memory.

But EOT, live in Your imagined world.
Alright this is just about the moment i realize continuing this discussion with you is pointless so i'm going to stop :).

I'll gladly continue to live in my imagined world then. I think you got that the other way around but it's ok.

Dennis

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
So am I the only one still having the nano catalyst bug?
I have it as well.

When I exit the game all the nano catalysts are gone. So I had to keep playing the game until I got the 10000 I needed to buy the Stealth Enhance I wanted.

Once the purchase is made it will remain even after I exit.

DennisK4 said:
I have it as well.

When I exit the game all the nano catalysts are gone. So I had to keep playing the game until I got the 10000 I needed to buy the Stealth Enhance I wanted.

Once the purchase is made it will remain even after I exit.

My problem is I can't even collect any at all though...

adelante

Nekrono said:
Taken from here.

Alright this is just about the moment i realize continuing this discussion with you is pointless so i'm going to stop :).

I'll gladly continue to live in my imagined world then. I think you got that the other way around but it's ok.
You haven't exactly been making compelling arguments yourself with these snide remarks. As impressive as those videos are, they're nothing more than brute force demonstrations, a glorified showcase of collision physics through sheer amount of objects thrown into a sandbox editor. If we're talking the original Crysis, a better example would've been the way leaves react to bullet hits and procedural destructibility of tree trunks. Even then they don't impress me as much as those Physx-enabled tech you see in Mirror's Edge or Batman:AA like tearable cloth, interactive particle effects, among others.

TUROK

TheExodu5 said:
No, it only affects the amount of objects that are affected by physics calculations.

Nekrono

adelante said:
You haven't exactly been making compelling arguments yourself with these snide remarks. As impressive as those videos are, they're nothing more than brute force demonstrations, a glorified showcase of collision physics through sheer amount of objects thrown into a sandbox editor. If we're talking the original Crysis, a better example would've been the way leaves react to bullet hits and procedural destructibility of tree trunks. Even then they don't impress me as much as those Physx-enabled tech you see in Mirror's Edge or Batman:AA like tearable cloth, interactive particle effects, among others.
Ok.

Dennis

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
My problem is I can't even collect any at all though...
I sort of have that as well. It takes a few tries and usually one of the bigger aliens to start letting me earn again.

adelante

Nekrono said:
Sure, the fact that i don't bother to further discuss it doesn't prove anything, but OK.
Well, that is if you even have anything worthy to contribute in the discussion but hey no problem! =D

Top Bottom