• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I'm having a werid problem with the PC version.

Any part of the game that has sunlight creates a weird flickr effect which is kind of annoying.

I thought at first it was my system and I did have my settings set to extreme @ 1920x1200 so i reset it to high and it was still there.

the strange thing is, when i enter a interior part like a hallway or the sewers the problem disapears.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Heavy said:
Glad you finally got it. What's your play style been so far? Try this versus the human soldiers:

Scarab + silencer + red dot sight + single fire mode + stealth + aim for the head.

If you haven't done Lab Rab yet (I think level 4 or 5), try it with that setup... so fun.

Yeah the beginning of Lab Rat is what I stopped at. I try for stealth but I'm not great at it, mixed success so far but the funny thing is I'm using that exact setup. I'm only on soldier/normal difficulty so failing stealth isn't a big deal, but I do love when I find alternate paths and pull off stealth kills.

I came to an intersection with troops and a jeep with a guy on the back and I got rid of the jeep guy by kicking a car off the roof onto him which bounced on to an explosive barrel that blew up the car and 2 other guys. That was my fuck yeah moment of the day.

j-wood

What does everyone mean when they keep saying they finished the game post human? That's not a difficulty setting if I remember correctly.

Also, I have yet to have any problems with multi-player on the 360 and love it. It's currently the main multi-player game I play. Don't see where all the grips are coming from.

j-wood said:
What does everyone mean when they keep saying they finished the game post human? That's not a difficulty setting if I remember correctly.

Also, I have yet to have any problems with multi-player on the 360 and love it. It's currently the main multi-player game I play. Don't see where all the grips are coming from.
It's the extra difficulty setting on the Pc version.

j-wood

Mikey Jr. said:
So thinking about picking this game up, but really interested in multiplayer for 360.

So, is it worth it for MP?

I think so. It has a pretty sweet unlock system (50 ranks and lots of unlocks). The gameplay is very satisfying and I have run into very few, if any, major issues on the 360 version.

Having the nanosuit in multiplayer really mixes things up and keeps the matches fresh.

Mikey Jr. said:
So thinking about picking this game up, but really interested in multiplayer for 360.

So, is it worth it for MP?

You know, I've been trying really hard to like the MP in this game, but there have been several issues that have been preventing that from happening.

1)The lag is atrocious. The majority of players have 1-2 bars, with just one or two players with 3-4 bars. Thus, you get a lot of WTF moments where you know you shot the hell out of someone, but it doesn't register and you die instead.

2)The fact that everyone has cloaking available at all times makes it extra hard to find people. You spend a lot of time running around looking for opponents. And then all of a sudden a dude pops up right before your eyes, and bam...you're dead.

3)Just like in COD, you get shot in the back all the damn time. And unlike Halo, when you get shot in the back there's nothing you can do except pray that your attacker misses.

4)The unlocking and leveling system is agonizingly slow. It will probably take me 6 months to get to level 50 and have everything maxed out. And game modes are locked until you reach certain levels, which makes no sense at all to me.

Despite these problems I have with the game, there is some fun to be had. At this point, I would say both COD and Halo provide better MP experiences, but I haven't given up on Crysis yet. If they are able to fix the netcode with a patch (not sure if that's technically possible), my opinion might change for the better.

Just beat the single player about 15 minutes ago (PS3). Overall, I dunno how I feel about it. I'd never played the first Crysis and can't compare it to it, but by itself this one just felt kinda generic to me in terms of story (although admittedly I stopped being able to follow it pretty early on), enemies and weapons. It's not a bad game by any means I just didn't feel any excitement to return to it.

The visuals were nice, but I definitely noticed a lot of enemy glitches in my version (most often, enemies walking into walls, caught in loops, etc).

TheFuryMGS3 said:
I swear to god, If you lock multiplayer modes based on levels I wont play! It is so stupid that the only interesting mode to me is locked until 18. I doubt this game will be around long multi wise, as it is utter trash.
Yep this pissed me off as well. Gone are the days where you can just play the game you want to lay, without having to grind for hours first just to unlock it. It's bullshit.

kitch9

Banned
ArachosiA 78 said:
You know, I've been trying really hard to like the MP in this game, but there have been several issues that have been preventing that from happening.

1)The lag is atrocious. The majority of players have 1-2 bars, with just one or two players with 3-4 bars. Thus, you get a lot of WTF moments where you know you shot the hell out of someone, but it doesn't register and you die instead.

2)The fact that everyone has cloaking available at all times makes it extra hard to find people. You spend a lot of time running around looking for opponents. And then all of a sudden a dude pops up right before your eyes, and bam...you're dead.

3)Just like in COD, you get shot in the back all the damn time. And unlike Halo, when you get shot in the back there's nothing you can do except pray that your attacker misses.

4)The unlocking and leveling system is agonizingly slow. It will probably take me 6 months to get to level 50 and have everything maxed out. And game modes are locked until you reach certain levels, which makes no sense at all to me.

Despite these problems I have with the game, there is some fun to be had. At this point, I would say both COD and Halo provide better MP experiences, but I haven't given up on Crysis yet. If they are able to fix the netcode with a patch (not sure if that's technically possible), my opinion might change for the better.

So in other words you are just shit at this game.

Hint: It's fairly easy to see cloaked fast moving enemies and much harder to see slower moving / still enemies. Keep that in mind and use it to your advantage.

Get into the habit of switching to armour mode just before you fire when cloaked as you'll keep any remaining suit energy for your armour instead of losing it all and leaving yourself vulnerable. That could give you an edge in 1:1 situations.

Plan your movements to minimise your exposure.

JaxJag

Banned
I agree about the multiplayer. The netcode is pure doodoo, and everyone having the ability to cloak just makes the game more annoying than fun, not to mention it encourages camping.

I have over a 1 K/D ratio, so i'm not terrible at the game. I'm just not finding it very fun.

Homefront seems to be the better online FPS.

kitch9 said:
So in other words you are just shit at this game.

Hint: It's fairly easy to see cloaked fast moving enemies and much harder to see slower moving / still enemies. Keep that in mind and use it to your advantage.

Get into the habit of switching to armour mode just before you fire when cloaked as you'll keep any remaining suit energy for your armour instead of losing it all and leaving yourself vulnerable. That could give you an edge in 1:1 situations.

Plan your movements to minimise your exposure.

Huh?

I would consider myself pretty awesome at the game (K/D in TDM is 2.80 at level 28 or so) - I have a healthy win/MVP rate also... and I don't think he was wrong with any of his points.

The net code is horrible, getting shot in the back is horrible (a result of the spawn system mostly), it is much more difficult to locate opponents compared to COD/Halo, and after level ~20 - it is very slow to progress.

Amazing game, I would put the MP well above COD but below Halo. It's refreshing, well balanced and strategic/engaging - just be ready to deal with some awful matchmaking issues and a much more "Surprise I killed you in 1 second flat" experience than what many are used to.

Another really cool moment I just had:

takingoutthetrashuud0.gif

Taking out the trash one soldier at a time. :D

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Anybody know how to force MSAA? I'm using the configvariables from the OP but its very jaggy atm.

iNvid02

just finished it, pretty damn close to being an awesome game let down by a couple of things, but 95% of these can be fixed easily, lets hope they can do it.

sflufan

Banned
I finished this game yesterday so here are my thoughts.

Man, there's nothing I like better than ending my FPS experience with a QTE...and not just ANY QTE, but a REALLY REALLY bad QTE that was a knock-off of the vastly better (kind-of) ending QTE in Metal Gear Solid 4. Compare this ending to the one for the original game. Actually don't bother -- it will only piss you off.

All-in-all, my Crysis 2 experience wasn't necessarily a bad one, it was just a disappointing one. I guess at about the halfway point, I was ready for it to be over -- fortunately right about then I was able to afford the super mega, nearly game-breaking cloak enhancement which pretty much made the rest of the game breeze by.
On the very last section, I only killed the 4 cloaked Ceph that you had to in order to open the entrance to the structure.

I'd have to say that of the two FPS experiences I've had so far this year, Bulletstorm was by far the more entertaining for me.

Final SFLUFAN score for Crysis 2 -- 6.5

PS: Crytek/EA should stop payment on whatever check they sent to Richard K. Morgan for Crysis 2's story. He robbed them blind and laughed all the way to the bank!

There is one thing that really bugs me about Crysis 2 singleplayer and its the thing you see at the beginning and pops up at various points of the game, without any link between them at all.

It's
the statue of liberty

There really seems to have been a lot of cutting of ducttaping of elements in this game. Seems to me like the story was completely rewritten at some point while in development.

Kyaw

Corky said:
Anybody know how to force MSAA? I'm using the configvariables from the OP but its very jaggy atm.

The one from the config it the only option. If it's set higher, the vaseline filter will return.
You can try forcing Super Sampling.

sflufan said:
I'd have to say that of the two FPS experiences I've had so far this year, Bulletstorm was by far the more entertaining for me.

Exactly the same for me. They're obviously different games who will appeal to different people, but I popped in Bulletstorm after beating Crysis 2 last night and I was just happy to be playing that game again. The speed of the game, the art direction of the game and even the story were things I was happy to return to after Crysis.

scitek

starchild excalibur said:
Exactly the same for me. They're obviously different games who will appeal to different people, but I popped in Bulletstorm after beating Crysis 2 last night and I was just happy to be playing that game again. The speed of the game, the art direction of the game and even the story were things I was happy to return to after Crysis.

Haha, I'm happy I'm able to love both.

Metal-Geo

Zeitgeister said:
There is one thing that really bugs me about Crysis 2 singleplayer and its the thing you see at the beginning and pops up at various points of the game, without any link between them at all.

It's
the statue of liberty

There really seems to have been a lot of cutting of ducttaping of elements in this game. Seems to me like the story was completely rewritten at some point while in development.
Whaddya mean?

The
statue of liberty
only pops up 4 times, I believe.
In the first cutscene after the sub got attacked; second level it's in the background; arm shows up after New York has been flooded; head shows up in the following level.

There really isn't much of a link. Perhaps a poor effort to remember the player he's in New York. :V

abracadaver

this game has the most annoying sound design Ive ever come across

the suit is making stupid noises all the time and it wont stfu

if you want to play multiplayer you have to turn the music off or you will go insane because you constantly have to hear the crysis theme between every match

when those gas tanks on wheels explode there is no explosion sound. wtf

some of the weapons sound awesome though

Corky

Kyaw said:
The one from the config it the only option. If it's set higher, the vaseline filter will return.
You can try forcing Super Sampling.

Oh I see, maybe something is clashing with my drivers or something because I'm under the impression of my game running at no AA

scitek

Corky said:
Oh I see, maybe something is clashing with my drivers or something because I'm under the impression of my game running at no AA

You can change the r_postmsaa=2 option to 0 and see the difference for yourself. It gets jaggy. Give me a sec, actually, I'll take a screen with and without.

Corky

scitek said:
You can change the r_postmsaa=2 option to 0 and see the difference for yourself. It gets jaggy. Give me a sec, actually, I'll take a screen with and without.

thanks I appreciate it.

FireFly

sflufan said:
PS: Crytek/EA should stop payment on whatever check they sent to Richard K. Morgan for Crysis 2's story. He robbed them blind and laughed all the way to the bank!
You don't just 'write the story' and that's that. Story writing has to be an integral part of the development process, and something that's assessed all the time as you make changes to the gameplay.

That's why the secret to creating a great story is never just to bring in a 'famous and renowned' author/script writer. How many games now have tried that and failed miserably? The secret is to have the right creative process, and that's the responsibility of Crytek as a whole, not just Mr. Morgan.

Why did they take out the animation when you see your hand picking up guns, what's that such a resorce hog? It was a really nice touch that Crysis 1 and Warhead had

scitek

MickeyKnox said:
You could carry more weapons on the original, and they had more attachments.

Well, you could always carry a pistol in addition to the other two main weapons, right? Could you always carry a rocket launcher and C4, too, or did those count as one of the main weapons. BTW, they need to patch in an auto-throw button for grenades like the first game. I hate having to pull it out, then cook it. Just let me hold a button, thanks.

Two more to show what PostMSAA does.

PostMSAA=0

crysis2.exe_2011-04-10h7nz.png

PostMSAA=2

crysis2.exe_2011-04-10776j.png

Corky

scitek said:
r_postMSAA=0

http://www.abload.de/img/crysis2.exe_2011-04-106x04.png[/IMG

r_PostMSAA=1

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/crysis2.exe_2011-04-10zb92.png[/IMG

It's not as good as real MSAA, obviously.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, I guess this is how it is. Thanks for the pics, so the only way to get the sharpness/AA
like DennisK4 is supersampling/downsampling?

scitek

Corky said:
Oh wow, I guess this is how it is. Thanks for the pics, so the only way to get the sharpness/AA

Yeah, these shots were taken at 720p so I'd get more jaggies and show how well it smooths things out, but at 1080p, there are fewer. The higher res you can play at the better.

Nekrono

Corky said:
Pretty much, he gets jaggies as well when playing the game but they're not that bad at the res he plays I think, I tried it on 1080p and me personally I couldn't stand them.

I ended up using this:

r_UseEdgeAA=0
r_PostMSAA=2
r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV = 0

It's a good mix between clarity and jaggies, at least for me. I wish there were more options though.

Corky

cheers guys, maybe some tweaking will make it better. Then again it's not the worst case of jaggies either so it's fine.

megamerican

Finished the campaign on 360. I loved the "linear-sandbox" game design. It allowed them to do the setpieces where needed, yet still give enough of a sense of freedom to make the firefights interesting. Reminded me of Halo, yet much better realized.

It felt like Crytek had just barely manage to get the engine running on the 360. It always seemed like it was on the verge of crashing whenever the shit hit the fan. Still when it's running smoothly it's gorgeous. New York in games often looks so drab. Crytek managed to make it look beautiful.

Story and voicework needed more attention. Some of the dialogue was clever, yet I never really knew the motivations of any character in particular. Given the level of story in most shooters, Crysis 2 was probably on par with most of them.

IPoopStandingUp said:
Sooo I just finished the game and is it just me or is the story
a clusterfuck of a poorly told mess?
It's not just you. I don't think it was any worse than the average video game story though.

sflufan

Banned
IPoopStandingUp said:
Sooo I just finished the game and is it just me or is the story
a clusterfuck of a poorly told mess?

Nope, it's not just you. This game had more narrative than the original but somehow I think I actually learned less!

Metal-Geo

Personally a big fan of the story. It's deliciously silly, but
managed to make Cyrsis 1 more interesting. And the decision to make the suit a huge part of the story is something I really like about Crysis 2.

But I couldn't agree more about the fact the storytelling is assaholic awful. I had to fucking Google about
the voice that speaks to you at the very end.

In fact, after some Googling I've come across twice as much information about the story than the game itself told me. No doubt the game would've been much easier to follow if Gould's monologue in his apartment didn't last bleeding 5 hours.

Kyaw

Corky said:
cheers guys, maybe some tweaking will make it better. Then again it's not the worst case of jaggies either so it's fine.

If you have an Nvidia card, get Nvidia Inspector and force 2xSGSSAA. It looks a lot better with a small performance hit.

Kyaw said:
If you have an Nvidia card, get Nvidia Inspector and force 2xSGSSAA. It looks a lot better with a large performance hit.

Fixed. Going by what I've read and from enabling 2xSGSSAA on my card, performance hit was 15-20 FPS on average. On scenes where I'd get 50, I was getting 30-35. Ouch.

Gvaz

Banned
I got to the part where Hargreave starts talking to you, and I have to stop. The best way to describe what happened to Crysis 2 after Crysis 1 and warhead is simply "consolitis".

I suppose the most apt comparison is they took the suit from Crysis 1, streamlined it and put it in Modern Warfare 2. This isn't what I wanted at all. Eugh.

Top Bottom