• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

scitek

Gvaz said:
I got to the part where Hargreave starts talking to you, and I have to stop. The best way to describe what happened to Crysis 2 after Crysis 1 and warhead is simply "consolitis".

I suppose the most apt comparison is they took the suit from Crysis 1, streamlined it and put it in Modern Warfare 2. This isn't what I wanted at all. Eugh.

That is such bullshit. Sorry, it's definitely streamlined, but you need to play Modern Warfare 2's piece of shit campaign again to realize how wrong what you said is.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
scitek said:
That is such bullshit. Sorry, it's definitely streamlined, but you need to play Modern Warfare 2's piece of shit campaign again to realize how wrong what you said is.
Switching between suit modes would have been problematic on consoles if they hadn't changed it from the PC design. Even so, I didn't find it a problem either. The biggest problem with the suit is that they made it into a walking bio-weapon and completely omitted Nomad and Psycho from the first two games. I know people are disappointed but imo, Warhead wasn't as good as Crysis either. At least with Crysis 2 they tried to do something different.

Nekrono said:
Pretty much, he gets jaggies as well when playing the game but they're not that bad at the res he plays I think, I tried it on 1080p and me personally I couldn't stand them.

I ended up using this:

r_UseEdgeAA=0
r_PostMSAA=2
r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV = 0

It's a good mix between clarity and jaggies, at least for me. I wish there were more options though.

Those are definitely good settings (Edge Filter NV = 1 if you've got Nvidia hardware seems to get rid of weird shimmering), and it does have far less jaggies than having no PostMSAA... but there's a couple of downsides that I noticed:

1. Weird blurring (vaseline effect that everyone complains about) on the screen that's noticeable and annoying.
2. Performance hit vs no PostMSAA = 4-8 FPS depending on the scene (on my videocard anyways)... that sucks, but it's still better than SGSSAA's huge 15-20 FPS hit

At this point I think running Crysis 2 at the highest resolution possible is the best mix between performance/clarity/lessening jaggies. SGSSAA is only viable if you've got a super-bad-ass card (or SLI/Crossfire), and PostMSAA is effective but has an IQ drop due to blurring. And it really sucks that normal MSAA can't be applied, as it seems that'd give a good balance between performance and IQ.

Gvaz

Banned
I beat crysis but I haven't finished Warhead and what little I played was already better than Crysis 1.

How is any different?

Ramirez, Press C to crouch! Ramirez, Defeat the overlords! Ramirez, Run through this environment where the only real place you can run is down a large corridor! OH sorry there might be a branching path somewhere so you can go in the sewers but it's never necessary. Ramirez, listen to me stream some bullshit into your ear, I know we haven't met but do this for me because I said so!

Sorry Ramirez, lets take control away from the user for a couple minutes to show out this part of the story. To try and spice it up a bit, press a button to look at a thing, or move the camera around a bit. Press space to defib because the suit can't do it itself that it needs user input.

AI is dumb as fuck but can tell you cloaked or got out of vehicles even when they can't see you whatsoever? You're wearing the best suit on the planet but can only take a few shots without dying whereas all the enemies are bullet sponges? I want what they're wearing.

Random things in a corner some where that you can collect for concept art is interesting but kind of lame.

Give me back the island, Crytek.

IPoopStandingUp said:
Sooo I just finished the game and is it just me or is the story
a clusterfuck of a poorly told mess?

Definitely had the same experience. I stopped being able to follow what was going on, who was on who's side, who double-crossed who when and who I should be rooting for pretty early on into the game.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Gvaz said:
I got to the part where Hargreave starts talking to you, and I have to stop. The best way to describe what happened to Crysis 2 after Crysis 1 and warhead is simply "consolitis".

I suppose the most apt comparison is they took the suit from Crysis 1, streamlined it and put it in Modern Warfare 2. This isn't what I wanted at all. Eugh.
What a load of crap. Either you're not familiar with COD's 4mX15m corridors campaign and their "get in a vehicle and drive/shoot except is basically a cut-scene playing" or you just don't have a clue.

Gvaz said:
I beat crysis but I haven't finished Warhead and what little I played was already better than Crysis 1.

How is any different?

Ramirez, Press C to crouch! Ramirez, Defeat the overlords! Ramirez, Run through this environment where the only real place you can run is down a large corridor! OH sorry there might be a branching path somewhere so you can go in the sewers but it's never necessary. Ramirez, listen to me stream some bullshit into your ear, I know we haven't met but do this for me because I said so!

Sorry Ramirez, lets take control away from the user for a couple minutes to show out this part of the story. To try and spice it up a bit, press a button to look at a thing, or move the camera around a bit. Press space to defib because the suit can't do it itself that it needs user input.

AI is dumb as fuck but can tell you cloaked or got out of vehicles even when they can't see you whatsoever? You're wearing the best suit on the planet but can only take a few shots without dying whereas all the enemies are bullet sponges? I want what they're wearing.

Random things in a corner some where that you can collect for concept art is interesting but kind of lame.

Give me back the island, Crytek.

So much silly in one post. I think they dumbed down some aspects since C1, but this post is full of the crazy.

Also learn to use armor mode

MadOdorMachine said:
Switching between suit modes would have been problematic on consoles if they hadn't changed it from the PC design. Even so, I didn't find it a problem either. The biggest problem with the suit is that they made it into a walking bio-weapon and completely omitted Nomad and Psycho from the first two games. I know people are disappointed but imo, Warhead wasn't as good as Crysis either. At least with Crysis 2 they tried to do something different.

They decided to stop being different and do what the other big fps games were doing to try and rake in the cash.

Gvaz

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
So much silly in one post. I think they dumbed down some aspects since C1, but this post is full of the crazy.

Also learn to use armor mode
I don't have a problem playing the game, I have a problem with the game itself. :\

And I beat MW2 not too long ago, it's not as bad as MW2 in the levels regard, but it's a lot like it. Also cutscenes between levels behaving the same way in design and looks.

abracadaver said:
this game has the most annoying sound design Ive ever come across

the suit is making stupid noises all the time and it wont stfu

if you want to play multiplayer you have to turn the music off or you will go insane because you constantly have to hear the crysis theme between every match

when those gas tanks on wheels explode there is no explosion sound. wtf

some of the weapons sound awesome though

Gotta agree with you here. Many of the sounds in the game are great, but there are several that are just plain obnoxious.

The sound when you die is really annoying...like a big bass-y thud followed by an ear-piercing flashbang-like ringing tone. And you hear this sound like every 30 seconds in MP.

The music between matches is quite agitating (maybe it's supposed to be to make you want to kill people). It was OK at first, but do I really need to hear it before every single match? And there's an annoying glitch where the volume turns WAY up which damn near causes my speakers to blow out every time.

The generic dude-broish sounds of soldiers yelling...like "we got a man down!" Ugh...makes me feel like I'm playing COD.

Still, there are some excellent sounds. The guns and explosions sound fantastic. And I love the thick liquidy sound that occurs when you engage your armor.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've probably said it before but I just have to reiterate. Despite the annoying bugs, occasional framerate issues, and some braindead AI I can't stop playing this game. When I keep loading up missions after 3 back to back playthroughs and keep finding new approaches, seeing new things, having a lot of fun, and I keep thinking about the game when I'm not playing proves that the game is really something special.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
universalmind said:
They decided to stop being different and do what the other big fps games were doing to try and rake in the cash.
I think they still have a unique experience compared to other FPS's out there. Stealth is probably what separates it from the pack. Is it a step back from Crysis? Yes. Does it need some improvement? Yes. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Not every sequel is perfect. There are plenty of examples of this and I have a feeling the guys at Crytek are listening to the complaints and will fix them in the next sequel which I imagine they're going to hold off until next gen for.

TTG

Finally got to play this. Started out on "veteran" but I think it's draining a bit of fun out of it for me. Went through the first 3 levels or so and I feel like I'm taking the path of least resistance instead of really being predatory.

EDIT: maybe I'm not using armor mode enough? Do you guys just pop it on as soon as you start getting shot at? I feel like I almost never use it.

george_us

RoboPlato said:
I've probably said it before but I just have to reiterate. Despite the annoying bugs, occasional framerate issues, and some braindead AI I can't stop playing this game. When I keep loading up missions after 3 back to back playthroughs and keep finding new approaches, seeing new things, having a lot of fun, and I keep thinking about the game when I'm not playing proves that the game is really something special.
Yup. Everything else in this game is spectacular. There's so much that Crytek just got right. The weight of the guns, the suit powers, the weapons attachments, the amount of weapons and how all of them are fun to use, the scenario design, all of it is amazing. I initially didn't like the first couple of levels but after going back and playing through them, I love them almost as much as the middle and end levels. Better AI really could of turned this into landmark title, for me at least.

Gvaz said:
I don't have a problem playing the game, I have a problem with the game itself. :\

And I beat MW2 not too long ago, it's not as bad as MW2 in the levels regard, but it's a lot like it. Also cutscenes between levels behaving the same way in design and looks.

The game is nothing like a modern Call of Duty game. At least make a rationale criticism of the game.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Kyaw said:
If you have an Nvidia card, get Nvidia Inspector and force 2xSGSSAA. It looks a lot better with a small performance hit.

Thanks man, I am on nvidia and I have inspector, but I've never delved into SGSSAA territory. Mind pointing me into the right direction?

Will I also make some changes in the autoexec file or will inspector just override the configs AA settings?

Kyaw

Corky said:
Thanks man, I am on nvidia and I have inspector, but I've never delved into SGSSAA territory. Mind pointing me into the right direction?

Will I also make some changes in the autoexec file or will inspector just override the configs AA settings?

No need to do anything through autoexec file, i think i left MSAA at 2 in the autoexec file. The guide in the link tells you to leave MSAA at 0.

This is what you need to know about SGSSAA : Link

JoeBoy101

Corky said:

Get ready for a framerate hit though, a pretty sizeable one. When I tried it with my 570, it was averaging between 30-40 fps, and before I never dipped under 60.

Kyaw

JoeBoy101 said:
Get ready for a framerate hit though, a pretty sizeable one. When I tried it with my 570, it was averaging between 30-40 fps, and before I never dipped under 60.

Yeah, same, with 480gtx, it never dips under 60 then with 2xSGSSAA it dips under 50 and stayed around 40.

Be sure to remove the 60fps limit from the autoexec if you've set it.

Corky

Well I must be doing something wrong then.

Sorry in advance for the large pics, :

AA off / default config settings
VfoGH.jpg

AA on / forced settings in inspector
BWFys.jpg

Inspector settings :

mrpfb.png

edit : gaah, now I see my error, I forgot to adjust the AA compatibility bits in inspector. Stoophead

edit 2 : I also used regular super sampling instead of sparse grid...

Corky

terrible compression aside, it looks abit better now but I'm suspecting that something or other isn't playing nice with the settings, maybe drivers or something because the performance hit was waaaay more than I was expecting. With the regular customsettings I've never experienced a dip outside of things like wierd glitches ( intersecting geometry or w/e... ) but the 2xsgssaa really took its toll, straight to 30fps. Harsh.

ut6UX.jpg

Corky said:
terrible compression aside, it looks abit better now but I'm suspecting that something or other isn't playing nice with the settings, maybe drivers or something because the performance hit was waaaay more than I was expecting. With the regular customsettings I've never experienced a dip outside of things like wierd glitches ( intersecting geometry or w/e... ) but the 2xsgssaa really took its toll, straight to 30fps. Hars
With SGSSAA you're doubling the rendering resolution, its no surprise the hit to performance is so severe.

Kyaw

You can always fall back to normal MSAA 2 and just force 16x AF if the performance hit is too much for you. Try 2xSupersampling with 2xMSAA. No need to fiddle with LOD, i dont think.

Corky

brain_stew said:
With SGSSAA you're doubling the rendering resolution, its no surprise the hit to performance is so severe.

Yeah, also come to think of it my gpus only have 1gb of ram so that's something that could be behind the big performanceloss aswell.

Kyaw said:
You can always fall back to normal MSAA 2 and just force 16x AF if the performance hit is too much for you. Try 2xSupersampling with 2xMSAA. No need to fiddle with LOD, i dont think.

Yeah I think that will be for the better.

Enosh

evil solrac v3.0 said:
are't most of those guns in the multi player?
you mean the crysis 2 ones? I don't think there is a single gun in the MP that you can't find in the SP

hell you have costumization pictures from the SP for all of them...
and other way around only the swarmer is a weapon you can find in the SP but not in the MP

Corky, you could try downsampling the game from a higher 16:9 resolution since it's DX9.

Instead of doubling the res like SSAA will do, try +25% and +50% res instead. Should get playable performance on your rig. >30fps. That's how I played the game on an OC'd GTX 580.

Corky

DeadRockstar said:
Corky, you could try downsampling the game from a higher 16:9 resolution since it's DX9.

Instead of doubling the res like SSAA will do, try +25% and +50% res instead. Should get playable performance on your rig. >30fps. That's how I played the game on an OC'd GTX 580.

Awesome man, is there a easy way to go about doing this or do I have to use modded gpudrivers?

Corky said:
Awesome man, is there a easy way to go about doing this or do I have to use modded gpudrivers?

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,817462/Downsampling-Bessere-Grafik-in-jedem-Spiel-auch-in-Crysis-2-Mit-Bildbeweis/Grafikkarte/Test/

This is the page I found that got me started on downsampling. It's in german but the google translation is good enough to understand

For me it was as simple as creating a custom resolution in nvidia control panel and it showed up as selectable in all DX9 games. Works fine on the latest nvidia drivers for me. 270.51.

Corky

DeadRockstar said:
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,817462/Downsampling-Bessere-Grafik-in-jedem-Spiel-auch-in-Crysis-2-Mit-Bildbeweis/Grafikkarte/Test/

This is the page I found that got me started on downsampling. It's in german but the google translation is good enough to understand

For me it was as simple as creating a custom resolution in nvidia control panel and it showed up as selectable in all DX9 games. Works fine on the latest nvidia drivers for me. 270.51.

thanks! Tried running 2400*1350 by creating a custom res in the nvidia panel but my dell u2311 monitor didn't want to display it. I got a prompt on the screen saying " this monitor cannot display this resolution, please use X instead ". Did I miss a step or something?

edit : whops, apparently I did, I read through that german article and did what they did, with the manuall "timings" and whatnot. Although I couldn't get the correct res options in the ingame menu in crysis , gonna try to see if I can add it in the autoexec

Corky said:
thanks! Tried running 2400*1350 by creating a custom res in the nvidia panel but my dell u2311 monitor didn't want to display it. I got a prompt on the screen saying " this monitor cannot display this resolution, please use X instead ". Did I miss a step or something?

Did you set the timing to manual first and then enter the resolution you want before testing? If you did and it still didn't work, try the refresh rate and timing tweaks in that article.

If your monitor is determined to be a dick about it even after that, you'd need to create custom monitor drivers with a larger resolution but that shouldn't be necessary.

Anyway I gotta go out and run some errands. Hope you get it working!

Corky

DeadRockstar said:
Did you set the timing to manual first and then enter the resolution you want before testing? If you did and it still didn't work, try the refresh rate and timing tweaks in that article.

If your monitor is determined to be a dick about it even after that, you'd need to create custom monitor drivers with a larger resolution but that shouldn't be necessary.

Anyway I gotta go out and run some errands. Hope you get it working!

cheers, I got the res working in the desktop but the max res I can access ingame is still 1080

Dyno

Finished it and rather liked it.

The enemies, level design, and weapons were all cool. It was a great length and I wound up doing some pretty cool things with the suit.

I like the multiplayer but man I suck even more than usual. Perhaps it's a bit laggy but I'll keep trying it out to see if it's really me or the game.

[Nintex]

hteng said:
ASUS G73 series, i believe other highend laptops on the market now can run the same if not better since my machine is already 6months old.
nice, my Dell XPS 15 should arrive later today, I'm going to test Crysis 2 on that too but since I got a 1920x1080 resolution on the thing I'm not sure how good the performance will be.

Kyaw

Corky said:
cheers, I got the res working in the desktop but the max res I can access ingame is still 1080

yeah, i tried it too, didnt work too great and too much hassle to get custom resolution drivers... will stick with normal supersampling.

Sucks the resolutions aren't working for you guys. I have them accessible in all DX9 games. Tested in Fifa 11, Rift, C2 and HL2.

Kyaw said:
yeah, i tried it too, didnt work too great and too much hassle to get custom resolution drivers... will stick with normal supersampling.

Nah, takes less than 5 minutes.

NBtoaster

I play on a laptop too, lower end than the above but it gets the job done.

I am using edgeAA (with postMSAA) which some have dubbed a vaseline filter, but I think the blur trade off is worth it. Almost no jaggies in still screens and significantly less shimmering in motion. I'd suggest people try it out as smooth edges really does the game a favor.

http://i.imgur.com/Box7V.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/x6u4r.jpg

On another note, I quite like the music of this game..the main theme is pretty distinctive.

hteng

Banned
[Nintex] said:
nice, my Dell XPS 15 should arrive later today, I'm going to test Crysis 2 on that too but since I got a 1920x1080 resolution on the thing I'm not sure how good the performance will be.

i can run on 1920x1080 with a measly 20 fps lol, still looks amazing on stills though.

Gvaz

Banned
It bugs the fuck out of me when they take away my weapons. Also no quicksaves sure does rile my jimmies. There's no need for this on the PC. It wouldn't be hard to do it on the consoles either, I don't understand it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is it worth using the autoexec? I can run the game at 57fps average on my 5850 on extreme @1080p, I think that's pretty incredible considering Warhead gives me around 30fps with 2xAA.
Beside, I'm not too bugged out by the pq (not too fond of the soft look of course) the things that irk me about the graphics are all related to DX9 only, lacks of tesselation in particular. Are there already mods out there?
If I try the autoexec how quick would it be to go back on default, just by deleteing the thing or it comes with some settings-swiper like some past cv exec for Crysis did? Can't access the OP's heaviness right now, I'm on the NDSi's browser ffs :p

Kyaw

It's just a notepad file.

You just copy paste things, if you dont like it, delete the file and Crysis 2 should load up the default one as soon as you load the game up.

Top Bottom