• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Looks like flickering is fixed and there's better performance with the new caps for crossfire users. From a poster on AMD forum:

yes the flickering is fixed and i am seeing 25-40 % increase in performance

it runs at over 120 fps at 2560x1600 maxed out (outside )

180-200 fps inside lol

12/19 levels done, this game is pretty amazing. I don't know what the fuck is going on in the story but the action is pretty epic. I keep wanting to play some night time levels to see DAT LIGHTING and I have a feeling I'm close as it's around dusk time where I'm at.

So one the one hand, the single-player campaign here is tremendous. For me Reach was the best fps campaign on consoles so far this gen, and this is right up there with it. Open combat spaces, tactical options, a feeling of freedom, unreal graphics. I fucking love it. In fact if the AI was better, it'd be my number one favorite. It's immersive, challenging, exciting fun.

On the other hand, the online (360 here) is a disaster. I want to like it, there are moments of fun here and there, but this game has to have the worst net-code I've ever experienced. Halo 3, Reach, BFBC2, KZ2/3, MAG, BLOPS... I can get great games going in all of them but with Crysis I can barely connect. It seems like half the time I can't get into a game or there's some menu freeze, and then if I do get into a game it's laggy as shit. I understand that games can hide lag (I've seen many confounding things in my BLOPS kill cams) but I've never felt it as badly as I have here. It's incredibly frustrating. I don't think I'm going to even try and play again until there's some kind of patch or something.

skyfinch

I know this is common sense, but I didn't have a choice until now. I hooked my xbox up directly to my modem (ethernet cable) and the mulitplayer is actually playable. In fact, I'm having a lot of fun. Losing energy while running, and taking forever to upgrade is still shit, though.

skyfinch said:
I know this is common sense, but I didn't have a choice until now. I hooked my xbox up directly to my modem (ethernet cable) and the mulitplayer is actually playable. In fact, I'm having a lot of fun. Losing energy while running, and taking forever to upgrade is still shit, though.
Thanks for the advice, but it's not an option with my setup. This reminds me of their stupid beta issues. If I can get great connections wirelessly with all of the other AAA shooters, Crysis 2 shouldn't be the exception you know?

Gvaz

Banned
Reese-015 said:
Athene knows how Crysis 2 should be played.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYG_lP1OAhA
This fucking owns

blazinglazers said:
I don't think I'm going to even try and play again until there's some kind of patch or something.
Welcome to antiquated hardware.

I think that says a lot about the state of consoles if Crysis 2 is the best one.

I don't know how console gamers would deal with STALKER or ARMA 2 or other european or smaller budget fps games.

Dreohboy

Gvaz said:
Hrm yep. I beat it in 8 hours, somewhat interesting story but everything in the game bored me to tears unlike the first crysis.

Explain this please. An open jungle, where you perhaps pick one way to either get past a group of north koreans, or go through a group of north Koreans, is less boring than Crysis 2?

Gvaz

Banned
Dreohboy said:
Explain this please. An open jungle, where you perhaps pick one way to either get past a group of north koreans, or go through a group of north Koreans, is less boring than Crysis 2?
The setting was a lot more interesting. Fighting soldiers was fun but fighting aliens werent that fun.

You generally had a big open area and hills except when the game started to railroad you down a path. Then it would open up again.

This was basically railroaded all the way and sometimes your hallway to shoot down was somewhat large but you were still mostly boxed in. This lost all the expanse of the original game.

The suit, while mostly it works just fine, I think sprinting shouldn't have been tied to energy. It should have been, run/normal sprint/SUIT SPRINT like it was before. It talks a lot about hit and run tactics, but you can't run away if you've been using stealth or armor and suddenly you have to move at a slow walk because your energy is depleted. And don't give me that crap about "oh well your broken inside the suit that's why you can't do anything special unless the suit powers you" because that's a stupid story excuse for including a unfun mechanic.

Dreohboy said:

It's preference really. I still haven't beaten Crysis 1 because it bores me to death but I'm absolutely loving almost every second of 2 so far.

Gvaz said:

I think that says a lot about the state of consoles if Crysis 2 is the best one.

I don't know how console gamers would deal with STALKER or ARMA 2 or other european or smaller budget fps games.

What does Crysis 2's shitty netcode have to do with console hardware? I don't really understand your reply, and I don't see what's wrong with placing Crysis 2 at the top of the console fps heap. Do I wish STALKER was available? Sure! I really enjoyed Metro 2033 despite not being able to run it at settings comparable to a PC.

Gvaz

Banned
blazinglazers said:
What does Crysis 2's shitty netcode have to do with console hardware? I don't really understand your reply, and I don't see what's wrong with placing Crysis 2 at the top of the console fps heap. Do I wish STALKER was available? Sure! I really enjoyed Metro 2033 despite not being able to run it at settings comparable to a PC.
I meant the lag you were mentioning on the game. I thought you were saying it was a graphical lag not a internet kind of lag. My bad.

As for "top of the fps heap" I didn't enjoy it whatsoever. I can understand why people would, but I think there are better games out there, though not in the same vein.

Gvaz said:
This fucking owns

If crysis 2 is the best what? Console? I fail to understand where you're going with this, yet based on your previous posts full of unfounded complaints, I'm going to have to "oy gevalt" ya. What does bad netcode have to do with antiquated hardware? The PC is worse off than the 360 online with this game...halo 2 came 7 years ago and still worked as well as most mp games today.

edit: you posted while I was writing this...graphical lag or framerate isn't bad. Not great but not bad. There's nothing wrong with having standards, but you have to remember that different people have different standards. Some people don't mind falling behind graphically as long as gameplay is still good. And I think graphics evolves a lot faster than gameplay, which is why these 5 year old consoles are still doing just fine.

Gvaz said:
I meant the lag you were mentioning on the game. I thought you were saying it was a graphical lag not a internet kind of lag. My bad.

As for "top of the fps heap" I didn't enjoy it whatsoever. I can understand why people would, but I think there are better games out there, though not in the same vein.
Fair enough. And I do wish some of the more interesting & innovative fps games made it to consoles, though I don't know if we'd like the translation. Red Orchestra 2 looks incredible, I've always wanted to play the Stalker series, and games like Crysis 2 & the upcoming BF3 really show how far ahead pc graphics are.

grendelrt

nextgeneration said:
Looks like flickering is fixed and there's better performance with the new caps for crossfire users. From a poster on AMD forum:

Just got home and tried the new CAP with 11.3 and 11.4 preview drivers. Performance is absolute garbage, i went from 32 to 36 FPS with 1 card vs 2. I am never buying xfire again, this is the second time they have blatantly lied about fixing the issue. 3 weeks and counting on the biggest pc release so far this year...

Haunted

Jesus Crysis!

Best looking game I've ever seen. And that's without tinkering with the configs.

(Yes, I just got the game, obviously.) ^_^

Yopis

Only at lvl 7 so far on 360 but have not had any problems connecting to matches or with severe lag. Hope my experience stays that way.

scitek

theignoramus said:
Just played a huge section of the first half of Crysis vanilla on Delta right after I played C2 on PHW. Goddamn, do I prefer the original.

Yeah, but the second half of C1 is lame compared to the first half.

Nizz

Probably posted already but I really love how NanosuitNinja plays Crysis games: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLmq-6e8TQg

Another thing, I kind of wish there were no multiplayer trophies/achievements in this game. I can give up on getting a platinum trophy for this game due to trophies attached to the MP. I can't see myself playing the MP over the long haul.

Too much lag, the framerate's not that great, camping cloakers. :(

Footos22

This is probably the first game in a long long long long time. That im not even going to give the courtesy to finish.

Its can be a skidmark on my trophy list.

It might be playing it wrong but goddamn its boring as hell.
Come meet me, rinse repeat. stealth kill, stealth kill, stealth kill. watch a few Ai run and clip through low walls and walk into each other. Put a bullet in each of their heads. Repeat.
Goldenyeyes Ai is better.

It seems to have the objective variety of doom 1.
Graphics are ok, image quality isnt exactly great. Hurts my eyes after awhile.
Tactical options are there to mix it up a bit. but essentially end up doing the same thing.

Supersoldier is pretty easy also.

But it may just be me having had enough of fps this gen.

Just got to the church, not sure if i'll even bother putting it back in the PS3.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Well I thought I'd enjoy it more on my new pc but in the end I just don't like this game :(

God damn dumb as brick A.I is pretty much what's ruining everything for me ( and no I'm not playing on an easy setting ).

Oh well.

Son of a bitch. Here I am on the last chapter and the game suddenly locks up when it's trying to load my last checkpoint. Now every time I try I go to 'Resume Game' it just goes to a black screen. :/

ArjanN

SolidSnakex said:
Son of a bitch. Here I am on the last chapter and the game suddenly locks up when it's trying to load my last checkpoint. Now every time I try I go to 'Resume Game' it just goes to a black screen. :/

Have you tried the level select instead of resuming?

this game ruins the one single thing Crytek got right with Crysis: the amazing graphics. instead we get a generic FPS with DOWNGRADED GRAPHICS in a closed DirectX9 equivalent city environment where you can only see like 20 feet in front of you.

seriously the killer graphics were the one redeeming feature of Crysis; what's left? the weird aliens? the suits "amazing" powers? yawn, like I haven't played that before 1,000 times.

Crysis 2, I fart in your general direction.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Corky said:
God damn dumb as brick A.I is pretty much what's ruining everything for me ( and no I'm not playing on an easy setting ).

It didn't quite ruin the game for me but it came very close. The game should not have shipped with the AI being as bad as it is.

You'd think going more linear would make it easier for them to design the AI.

Ysiadmihi said:
It didn't quite ruin the game for me but it came very close. The game should not have shipped with the AI being as bad as it is.

You'd think going more linear would make it easier for them to design the AI.
That constantly takes me out of the game. It's a bit last gen feeling A.I.. sorry to say. Doesn't fit the rest of the game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
this game ruins the one single thing Crytek got right with Crysis: the amazing graphics. instead we get a generic FPS with DOWNGRADED GRAPHICS in a closed DirectX9 equivalent city environment where you can only see like 20 feet in front of you.
Interesting. Having played Crysis 1 and 2 back to back for a while, I think Crysis 2 actually looks better overall. It doesn't push the hardware as much as Crysis did, but it's much more consistent and does a lot of things better.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Give it to me straight guys. Does this game open up a bit at any point?

I bought it fully expecting a linear shooter, relative to it's forerunner, and I thought I'd be fine with it. But now I'm about 2 hours in, I'm starting to miss that old sandbox Crysis feel.

FFXIII at least gave us the reins to explore Pulse in an MMO style fashion after 25 hours. Do Crytek offer up a similarly open-ended section in Crysis 2 to break up the linearity?

vazel

Banned
Cataferal said:
Give it to me straight guys. Does this game open up a bit at any point?

I bought it fully expecting a linear shooter, relative to it's forerunner, and I thought I'd be fine with it. But now I'm about 2 hours in, I'm starting to miss that old sandbox Crysis feel.

FFXIII at least gave us the reins to explore Pulse in an MMO style fashion after 25 hours. Do Crytek offer up a similarly open-ended section in Crysis 2 to break up the linearity?
There's one map that takes place on an island with a lighthouse that comes the closest to capturing the C1 feel but it's still a shadow of the first game.

So, I have noticed a strange problem with the graphics in this game and was wondering what the hell I am seeing.

I think I first noticed it on one of the night levels...I noticed that in the sky there were these evenly-spaced diagonal bands (greenish in color) that were in constant motion. Once I noticed this, I began seeing it everywhere. But it is most noticable in the sky for whatever reason.

Anyway, does anyone else have this problem? Is it the game, my TV, or my Xbox causing this issue? It's really distracting and brings down the quality of the graphics considerably.

Finished the game in 9 hours, somewhat meh last level aside it was a pretty amazing experience and sooo much more fun than what I was able to stay awake for in 1. Story was pretty terrible but whatever it's a shooter, and the graphics on max were stunning (using custom config in the OP). The night time levels were especially amazing and easily the best lighting I've seen in a game.

Can't wait to play it again on harder difficulties.

Alright, I just got the game.

Samsung 7 Series 3D tv
Xbox 360
Crysis 2

5621051699_b790f865d7_b.jpg

5621641294_5d8969b1a6_b.jpg

I'm all set to play this game in 3D, my first console 3D experience, hopefully I won't be disappointed.

sweetvar26 said:
I'm all set to play this game in 3D, my first console 3D experience, hopefully I won't be disappointed.

I personally am not very impressed with the 3D in Crysis 2. It just doesn't seem to have much depth at all. But on the plus side there is no apparent loss in graphic fidelity like you get with most 3D games.

ArachosiA 78 said:
I personally am not very impressed with the 3D in Crysis 2. It just doesn't seem to have much depth at all. But on the plus side there is no apparent loss in graphic fidelity like you get with most 3D games.

Nice, I shall try it out.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't understand artsy shots of games boxes. Everybody knows what it looks like.

I was actually focusing on those Samsung 3D glasses while I wanted to post a picture that I just got my game today. Can't blame me because I'm excited...

highrider

Banned
sweetvar26 said:
I was actually focusing on those Samsung 3D glasses while I wanted to post a picture that I just got my game today. Can't blame me because I'm excited...

you have every right to be excited. you just got a dope tv, a 360 and a great game. have fun man. * tips hat *

MrBelmontvedere said:

seriously the killer graphics were the one redeeming feature of Crysis; what's left? the weird aliens? the suits "amazing" powers? yawn, like I haven't played that before 1,000 times.

Crysis 2, I fart in your general direction.

If you think Crysis only redeeming factor were graphics, you are playing the wrong game.

Trojan X said:
Still no word on the DIRECTX 11 and the Graphics tinkering patch? I want to push my PC further with this game.
The only thing I really care about is an AI fix. It's the only reason why I haven't replayed the game yet.

Gvaz

Banned
Crysis 1 was alright, Warhead owned hard though.

Crysis' redeeming factor wasn't the graphics, but rather the graphics were the selling point. The point was that you had a game that would look great years down the line because any computer would evolve with it as it got better.

Then you release crysis 2 with no initial intention to incorporate DX11 into it, meaning that anything they do now will either come out sooner and be tacked on, or come out much later by integrating it into the game (allowing for better performance like with the multicore optimizations)

The problem was that crysis 1, it had dx10 out of the box. It was the standard everyone was comparing things to. Sure are going to compare crysis 2 to other games in terms of technology when you're only running dx9 pushed to the limits instead of a directx that has been in games since the end of 2009. Not.

Note I'm talking about crysis as a technological standard not as a good or bad game because of such.

NBtoaster

Crysis 2 being DX9 only isn't really a tech downgrade. Sure Crysis was DX10 but the only noticable effect you missed when running it in DX9 was object motion blur, which Crysis 2 has across all versions. DX10 also ran worse because of poor optimization.

eznark

Banned
Just got my brand new rig stable, playing some multiplayer. Really enjoying it...looks amazing.

What is the big file in the OP for?

delume

If you live in New Zealand and are buying this on the 360 for the multiplayer... STOP! While I only reached level 10, the road there was horrid. Constant disconnections, dedicated servers that might as well be located on the moon, and the constant tease of a dynamic shooter has killed my enjoyment of this game. If a company as big as EA is going to release a game in a country, then it would be nice if they actually supported it. Hate sounding so negative on an otherwise enjoyable game.

Top Bottom