• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

dark10x said:
Interesting. Having played Crysis 1 and 2 back to back for a while, I think Crysis 2 actually looks better overall. It doesn't push the hardware as much as Crysis did, but it's much more consistent and does a lot of things better.

"better overall" huh. does that mean that some things look better and some worse?

at least we can agree on one thing, "It doesn't push the hardware as much as Crysis"

Aaaaahhh Blazing excrement!!! This game is a technical marvel. Watching it run of an old dual core and a Radeon 4xxx series like it was solitary. We people don't know how to value things.

What this engine could do in a more controlled corridor shooter on a console would be a sight to be hold. Man why don't developers are all over Cryengine 3 like flies are to the sh!t?

Keep your DX11 patch and give me some fixed AI Crytek.

scitek said:
Yeah, but the second half of C1 is lame compared to the first half.
I actually liked the zero g section. it was cooler and more artistically interesting than anything in C2. I also liked the snow sections and the big bossfights right before the second last level. The last two levels are not all that hot, I agree, but fuck me if 75% of the game doesnt shit all over C2.

theignoramus said:
I actually liked the zero g section. it was cooler and more artistically interesting than anything in C2. I also liked the snow sections and the big bossfights right before the second last level. The last two levels are not all that hot, I agree, but fuck me if 75% of the game doesn't shit all over C2.
For me Assault and Onslaught only to chapters that sh!t all over Crysis 2 from hell and back. My 2 favorite levels of the hole series and the only ones i consider are a step above of the experience delivered in Crysis 2.

Liked the Alien ship also, only level in the series that doesn't strive to appease the masses, still Aliens are way more interesting in Crysis 2. The fictional opponents until now has been Crytek's weak link, same thing happened in Farcry with the mutants.
dark10x said:
Right, the original does some things better, but the overall visual presentation is more impressive in Crysis 2. The original is simply more uneven.
Presentation, cinematic design and direction are far superior in part 2 specially. On the other hand wished Crytek didn't waste time with a renown writer and music composer since to me didn't make much of a difference in the audio and history departments in comparison to Crysis 1.

So i feel sorry for them to waste money in such things.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MrBelmontvedere said:
"better overall" huh. does that mean that some things look better and some worse?

at least we can agree on one thing, "It doesn't push the hardware as much as Crysis"
Right, the original does some things better, but the overall visual presentation is more impressive in Crysis 2. The original is simply more uneven.

Crysis pushes hardware more than Crysis 2, but I feel they reached a great middle ground with Crysis 2. It looks amazing but also RUNS perfectly on most PCs.

Celcius

°Temp. member
While deciding whether to buy the game or not, I see it cheap on ebay (used).
Would buying used be an issue due to serial numbers and stuff, or would I be able to play it just like a new copy?

TTG

Just finished it tonight, it's actually a fair bit longer than some of the more recent shooters. Such a big step up from KZ3 and Bulletstorm(just the last 2 shooters I've played).

It's so nice to see level design that's not just a corridor leading you along. Great, spacious levels with a lot of entrances and exits to flank your enemies or get away from their pursuit. There are whole separate paths to take through some of the bigger encounters, certain spots that are intentionally more favorable, but leave you more exposed. Great use of verticality as well, and none of it LOOKS forced. There's no conveniently placed waist high cover everywhere. If there are multiple levels to climb for a better position, it might be integrated as a few exposed, broken floors of a collapsed building complete with it's own layout and corridors, fully furnished rooms... it's all so well done. Having a world that's fun to explore and traverse through in a way where you can better employ strategy makes such a huge difference. Obviously, visually it's great as well. Nice, luscious environments for the most part. Colorful, spacious, breathtaking compared to most shooters these days that seem to go for the depressing and "gritty".

The movement is probably the best of any true fps(gonna leave stuff like Mirror's Edge out) I've played in a long time. Having the burst run and jump functions and level design that takes full advantage of it is awesome. The other suit powers work very well 95% of the time too. It is easy to sort of lean on active camo a little too much(walking into every room with it on) and I think you're just a little too vulnerable at times forcing you to mash the armor as well... but it's really nitpicking. The suit works well to add variety to the gameplay and the movement is brilliant.

Such a great game over all, but my impressions are late... I gotta say though, there are a couple of things that keep Crysis 2 back, that have to be eliminated next time around.

1. The AI has to improve. Most importantly, they have to hold ranks. It's ok to send a guy or two towards my position, especially if I'm far away. But at no point should 4 or 5 guys be piling up the same staircase to get to me, leaving me with nothing else to do but empty a clip at all of them right there. There's a huge environment to explore, but at times I'm left sitting in the first 10-20% of it because everyone is coming at me. I should be forced to change my position to get at someone or to escape death... not because I want the game to play better. There are obvious flaws too. Guys running around in circles, shooting through walls in an attempt to get at me, everyone instantly aware of where I am... the usual suspects.

2. They have to handle spawning better. I should never feel like I just want to push on to the next checkpoint because bad guys just keep reappearing. I clear one side out, turn my attention to the other and bad guys keep repopulating the environment. Not everywhere, but it does happen a bit. If I'm not accomplishing anything in clearing out waves of these guys, it takes a lot of the fun out of it. It's actually just about the only spot where the COD effect seeps into this game, intentionally or not.

3. Weapons have to be more specialized and better used. Anyone actually care about the different assault rifles? They all work just as well, in any spec. I found the difference in stats to be irrelevant for the most part. 90% of the game you're in a situation where any weapon will work just as well as another... that's not good enough. They decided to stick with the Halo 2 weapon system, but they didn't make the weapons different enough. There's no weighing of pros and cons or significantly changing a play style. Beyond the shotgun(which admittedly is very useful and particular) and the obvious sniper spots... what else is there? The turret/microwave win guns and the occasional Jaw/C4 strike against heavies and/or other bigger targets. I have a feeling the particular differences matter more in multiplayer, but they should really make a difference in single player as well.

Anyway, can't wait to go back to play through on the supersoldier difficulty. The best game I've played this year, no question.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, the AI is really a blemish on an otherwise great game. It really hurts the replay value as well, which is a shame.

I've been replaying the MGS series recently, and even though it has a very different focus, the way the AI reacts in MGS2-4 is so far beyond what you get with Crysis 2. They simply move about and approach the player in ways that are more dynamic and interesting. You enjoy toying with them for this reason and that is something Crysis 2 would have benefited from. You can't really play around with the enemy as their reactions are so stupid.

It has remained the weakest aspect of every game Crytek has made. They've yet to create really solid AI.

Patrick Bateman said:
What was that with the speed flashing anyway? Did you unlock something with it? It was so random (yet funny).
There's an achievement for tripping all 10 speed cameras throughout the game. It was pretty funny and random the first time it happened to me.

Skirn

This may be a stupid question, but how exactly do I Stealth Kill soldiers? I almost never get the prompt to do one even though I'm standing/crouching mere inches away from a soldier, with his back turned towards me, in Stealth Mode.

Am I missing something? I feel like an idiot.

Skirn said:
This may be a stupid question, but how exactly do I Stealth Kill soldiers? I almost never get the prompt to do one even though I'm standing/crouching mere inches away from a soldier, with his back turned towards me, in Stealth Mode.

Am I missing something? I feel like an idiot.
You need to be cloaked to perform stealth kills.

NBtoaster

Skirn said:
I am.

Maybe the guards are somehow alerted to my presence? Does that factor in at all? They don't act like they've seen me, though... very strange.

Do you have the latest patch? There was an issue where I couldn't perform stealth kills after a death but it was fixed in patch 1.2.

Skirn

Stealth Kills seem to be working now... or at least I can execute them more often than not, hehe. Maybe I was still in some kind of tutorial? Just started on Chapter 3 (Sudden Impact).

Cool game so far, but I've already seen lots of glitchy A.I. (soldiers dry-humping walls, killing themselves with grenades, etc).

TTG said:
3. Weapons have to be more specialized and better used. Anyone actually care about the different assault rifles? They all work just as well, in any spec. I found the difference in stats to be irrelevant for the most part. 90% of the game you're in a situation where any weapon will work just as well as another... that's not good enough. They decided to stick with the Halo 2 weapon system, but they didn't make the weapons different enough. There's no weighing of pros and cons or significantly changing a play style. Beyond the shotgun(which admittedly is very useful and particular) and the obvious sniper spots... what else is there? The turret/microwave win guns and the occasional Jaw/C4 strike against heavies and/or other bigger targets. I have a feeling the particular differences matter more in multiplayer, but they should really make a difference in single player as well.
Crytek seems to have issues with weapon balancing and in Crysis 2 they took some steps forward. For example, i remember in the first Crysis the sniper was kind of redundant. You could attach the sniper scope to any assault rifle and it became a fully automatic sniper. Or using the shotgun alternative fire, which became super efective not only at close but medium range also.

PC GAF I need a GPU to mostly play Crysis 2 and Just Cause 2,

my budget is $200 or less (Canadian dollars, which is pretty much the same as US dollars)

Can people here please recommend me the best Video Card money can buy for 200 or less?

My current card is the Nvidea 9600GT, and I like the idea of using it solely for the Physix engine ( post I just read two pages back)

So yes please recommend me a great card for that price, that is proven to work well with Crysis 2 thanks. (BTW my built is Q6600 at a lousy 2.4hz Quad core, 4GB of RAM )

McHuj

EricHasNoPull said:

my budget is $200 or less (Canadian dollars, which is pretty much the same as US dollars)

Can people here please recommend me the best Video Card money can buy for 200 or less?

My current card is the Nvidea 9600GT, and I like the idea of using it solely for the Physix engine ( post I just read two pages back)

So yes please recommend me a great card for that price, that is proven to work well with Crysis 2 thanks. (BTW my built is Q6600 at a lousy 2.4hz Quad core, 4GB of RAM )

i'm running the game just fine with a GTX460 768MB and a Q9400 maxed out at 1680x1050. I paid around $120 for the GTX card in December. For around $200, any card like the a 6870, will run it perfectly.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
man this game has some of the weirdest glitches/bugs.

Was confronted with a pinger and guess what? My Jaw rocket launcher wouldn't reload. I had 4 of the suckers and a spare on the floor and I couldn't load or pick up the spare. Died about 10 times and it was the same. I had to complete the bloody battle without them. Involved shitloads of ducking and diving around a building. Next mission and they worked fine.

Anyway I finished the game. I'm really relieved that you can just run past most of the end game if you wish to. Some of those scenarios looked quite laborious to finish on super soldier. I literally ran through 99% of the central park bit. By then I just wanted to get to the end and get my achievements.

Stupid story and I honestly don't give a shit about anyone or anything that happened. Its just graphics and gameplay for me. Enjoyable ride, possibly slightly too long, think some of it could have been cut but fine overall. Agree with all the criticisms, poor AI, assault rifles all seemed very similar, stupid glitches but overall one of the better FPS on consoles.

kuYuri

Just beat Crysis Warhead and started playing Crysis 2 (also on PC) afterwards. Is there a big difference in visuals between Very High and Extreme? I can't really notice the difference. The obvious thing is that on Very High, I'm getting 60fps, but on Extreme, it goes down to around 40ish.

Any comparison screenshots out there between Very High and Extreme?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Strider2K99 said:
Just beat Crysis Warhead and started playing Crysis 2 (also on PC) afterwards. Is there a big difference in visuals between Very High and Extreme? I can't really notice the difference. The obvious thing is that on Very High, I'm getting 60fps, but on Extreme, it goes down to around 40ish.

Any comparison screenshots out there between Very High and Extreme?
The difference is apparent in areas with a lot of dynamic lights. On very high only about half of them actually project shadows. Other than that it's all LOD and AA.

markao

With some tweaks and without the HUD, game plays a lot better. However there is still one annoying thing left, the highlighting of every object you can interact with (almost entire world :( ).

So my question, is there a console cmd/autoexe that disables it?

dLMN8R

Looks like you can get this for $37.80 at retail on Amazon, get it digitally from Amazon for $42.61 - $15 credit = $27.61.

Should I?

dLMN8R said:
Looks like you can get this for $37.80 at retail on Amazon, get it digitally from Amazon for $42.61 - $15 credit = $27.61.

Should I?
Yes!

Hell of a game, well the single player anyway. Don't play much MP.

dLMN8R

dorkimoe said:
Still waiting for this to be on sale. Someone said the MP is full of hackers? If this is true than :(
Weren't recent patches supposed to fix that problem? Would be a shame if hacking is still hugely prevalent.

Think I'm gonna start my second play through later today.

EricHasNoPull said:

Maybe this new sapphire 5850. Saw a thread on it at cag.

Sapphire apparently had an overstock of old Radeon 5850 chips (which actually performed better than the newer 6850 chips) and decided to resurrect the card with vast improvements and sell it at a ridiculous price (under $150). The new Sapphire 5850 Xtreme card has a much shorter PCB size, better cooling and a brand new VRM design. This card will most likely only be available for a very limited time. I'm sure AMD aren't too happy that this new 5850 completely destroys their recently launched Radeon 6790 card which costs the same. In DirectX 10 games this card performs similarly to the new nVidia GTX 560 Ti even besting it at times, yet costs almost half the price. If you buy 2 of them and crossfire them they will wipe the floor with the GTX 580 even and will still cost you over 200 bucks less than the GTX 580. As a first gen DirectX 11 card it lags a little in DirectX 11 games that use heavy tessellation and such but when you run in Crossfire it's still perfoms a lot better than a $300 graphics card.

Newegg has had them in stock twice and they've sold out in hours both times. I managed to snag two this morning thanks to Newegg's Auto-Notify feature. Newegg is selling them for $144.99 with free shipping! Here's some links:

Sapphire 5850 Xtreme @ NewEgg

Sapphire 5850 Xtreme Product Page

Sapphire 5850 Xtreme TechGage Review

At this price this is an insane deal for anybody in the market for a good graphics card but doesn't wanna spend $250-300 . For people that do wanna spend that much you can always buy 2 of them and crossfire them for insane performance at $289.98. I should mention though that to cut costs Sapphire decided not to include a crossfire bridge with the card so you'll need to buy one if you wish to run 2 cards in crossfire. These are going fast and being sold on the down low as to not upset AMD so get one while you can.

Not sure, personally about the card and there are no reviews on newegg, yet, but I love my 5870s.

gdt

Very new to PC gaming, and I just ordered a gaming laptop. Here are my specs:

dv6t Quad Ed
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• 2nd generation Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 2.9 GHz
• 1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6770M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
• FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 640GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• No Additional Office Software
• FREE Upgrade to Norton Internet Security(TM) 2011 - 15 Month Subscription (activation required)
• 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 5.5 hours of battery life +++
• 15.6" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366x768)
• SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
• HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone and HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader
• Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN with Wireless Display Support
• Standard Keyboard

Now, will I get better performance there (if I could even run this game) or on my 360/PS3?

gdt5016 said:
Very new to PC gaming, and I just ordered a gaming laptop. Here are my specs:

dv6t Quad Ed
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• 2nd generation Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 2.9 GHz
• 1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6770M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
• FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 640GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• No Additional Office Software
• FREE Upgrade to Norton Internet Security(TM) 2011 - 15 Month Subscription (activation required)
• 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 5.5 hours of battery life +++
• 15.6" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366x768)
• SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
• HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone and HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader
• Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN with Wireless Display Support
• Standard Keyboard

Now, will I get better performance there (if I could even run this game) or on my 360/PS3?

99% sure that it's PC. I'm not familiar with the specific model of video card but some quick googling indicates that you should do fine.

Abylim

Picked this up a day or so ago, loving the single player, but the MP seems abit wonky. I keep getting killed in 3 hits, while I'm pelting my target. Seems like bad lag, or something.

My connection isnt that bad, I am in Australia, so it's never great, but I fare well in other MP games. Am I alone in this sentiment?
Loving it, but this is abit of a turn off.

markao

Not sure if a free engine/sdk is new thread worthy, so dump it here ;)

Crytek letter to community announces Editor for Crysis 2 early in summer and reconfirms the release of a free CryENGINE SDK.

full link: Be Free... Be Creative... Be the Developer

First of all, we will be launching an Editor for Crysis 2 early in summer. This will allow you to build new maps, items, gameplay modes and more custom content for Crysis 2. For teams looking for even more creative freedom, we have another option: The free CRYENGINE SDK.

In August 2011 we will be launching a free CryENGINE SDK. If you want to use it for fun, like all our previous MOD SDKs it will be completely free of charge, to anyone who wants to play with it! You just register, download the SDK with a personalized license key and you're good to go!
This will be a complete version of our engine, including C++ code access, our content exporters (including our LiveCreate real-time pipeline), shader code, game sample code from Crysis 2, script samples, new improved Flowgraph and a whole host of great asset examples, which will allow teams to build complete games from scratch for PC.

Top Bottom