• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Zen

Banned
KingOfKong said:
its sad how some people spread misinforation such as yourself. for the majority of televisions, limited is the correct setting.

God forbid some people enjoy the look it gives to LCD sets.

Khronikos

Banned
No shit. There is no reason to enjoy it. Get a better fucking set that gives you actual black levels. Don't spread all kinds of fucking misinformation based on dumbass speculation that goes against the official standard, which was obviously chosen for a reason by experts in the field, and does not look right at all to anybody with one decent eye and a nice TV.

This black crush thing is a lot worse than color temp weirdo's imo as it gives people the impression that everything should be crushed and contrast boosted. At least with color temps people who choose the wrong cooler temps don't go spreading that bullshit around.

CozMick

Banned
Seriously, the PS3 mp demo doesn't look as washed out as those shots,

Calibrate your tv's for fucks sake, why spend 100's of pounds on a set and have it look like that?

Both console versions look identical, move onto performance!

LEGGZZZZ

Khronikos said:
Really doesn't add up. It's pretty obvious who has the better textures in these games if you have truly played both. Some guys seem like a Crytek software manual or something. KZ3 has some of the most intense if not the most intense post processing effects around. Couple this with much better AA that is very noticeable in motion, better resolution, a lot more than the PS3 version, far less pop in, better framerate, and better sound imo by a bit as well and I just don't see how the other quite on the same level. In fact I go so far as to say something like RDR is more a showpiece for the 360.

mmm it's just my opinion after watching a few youtube videos and playing my KZ3 COPY, come Tuesday ill know for sure how I feel about it. I still think what their pulling off is extremely impressive considering this is their first console game. Their doing quite alot under the hood from what I can see engine wise, in some ways more than KZ3.

Things are looking better now.

I'm ready to eat some of my words next week, and I'll happily do so because if this game is awesome then fucking great.

The PR for this game was a shambles though.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Is it possible to turn off that wierd blur on the pc-version ? ( is it the AA? )

Graphics are much better than the multiplayer demo and also it runs fine. So don't hesitate to buy this on PS3 because of the shitty MP demo. Game is fine.

So far i really like the gameplay, it gives you options. Stealth, direct assault, flanking,etc.; it feels deep. And after tons of CoD clones, this game really made me feel good.

valentine71 said:
Haven't tried yet. After some SP, got drunk and slept:)

When you do, please let us know.

I want to buy this on the PS3 because my friends are on that system but the MP demo left a really bad taste, specially in the framerate department.

CozMick said:
Seriously, the PS3 mp demo doesn't look as washed out as those shots,

Calibrate your tv's for fucks sake, why spend 100's of pounds on a set and have it look like that?

Both console versions look identical, move onto performance!

Theres a brightness setting on the games options that clears up that slightly washed out look with two clicks.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
supermackem said:
Theres a brightness setting on the games options that clears up that slightly washed out look with two clicks.
And also the RGB and other settings in the XMB help tons too. I end up turning mine up as some games at night are too dark. Maybe that's realistic but I still want to see where I'm going.

V_Arnold

I am happy I was gonna buy this for the MP anyway, on PC. Hah, talking about hasty judgement from some of the "maximum hardcooore" :)

eso76

This is just UNBELIEVABLE, i can't believe what i'm seeing! The most impressive console game of this generation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjYlLmFALmA

sTaTIx said:
That's clearly PC-version footage, fyi, before you get too excited.

Funny how even the PC version's framerate is a little wonky.

Actually, from my experience with the game, this could very well be from the console version.

Honestly, the fact there's so many people saying "Crysis 2 shows consoles are over, PC master race etc etc" who can't tell if footage is from the PC or the console version is telling.
The truth is, at youtube resolution and compression, it's VERY hard to tell versions apart at this point.

I've read tons of bullcrap about how Crysis 2 is a technical disappointment on consoles; the truth is the engine does LOTS of remarkable things, not all of which, however, contribute to the overall look of the game. I think Crytek spent too much time and resources in small technological gimmicks that *are* impressive on their own, but in the end forgot that the most important thing is the final result, which is not always convincing due to apparent pop up, texture pop in, slight aliasing (which is made worse by wrong design decision; use of black and high contrast in colors etc) and low res shadow maps *
But if aesthetics are not always amazing, the game IS a very impressive piece of software on a technical level.

*Speaking of shadow maps...why the hell did they go the unified lighting way, when day/night cycle doesn't happen in real time ?? couldn't they have prebaked shadows and lighting on scenery, which would have allowed higher res shadows, reduced shadows pop in and made tons of resources available for something else ?

LiquidMetal14

V_Arnold said:
I am happy I was gonna buy this for the MP anyway, on PC. Hah, talking about hasty judgement from some of the "maximum hardcooore" :)
As was said last night, there are some things that need to be addressed on the PC side. It looks good as expected but tweak options and/or ini bits are unknown amongst other things.

eso76, that video has PC/KB prompts on the screen itself.

And you can't move like that with the sharp turn unless you either turn the sensitivity way on consoles/pad (which is annoying on a controller) or you have a mouse to make those sharp turns.

raphier

Banned
eso76 said:
Actually, from my experience with the game, this could very well be from the console version.

Honestly, the fact there's so many people saying "Crysis 2 shows consoles are over, PC master race etc etc" who can't tell if footage is from the PC or the console version is telling.
The truth is, at youtube resolution and compression, it's VERY hard to tell versions apart at this point.

I've read tons of bullcrap about how Crysis 2 is a technical disappointment on consoles; the truth is the engine does LOTS of remarkable things, not all of which, however, contribute to the overall look of the game. I think Crytek spent too much time and resources in small technological gimmicks that *are* impressive on their own, but in the end forgot that the most important thing is the final result, which is not always convincing due to apparent pop up, texture pop in, slight aliasing (which is made worse by wrong design decision; use of black and high contrast in colors etc) and low res shadow maps *
But if aesthetics are not always amazing, the game IS a very impressive piece of software on a technical level.

*Speaking of shadow maps...why the hell did they go the unified lighting way, when day/night cycle doesn't happen in real time ?? couldn't they have prebaked shadows and lighting on scenery, which would have allowed higher res shadows, reduced shadows pop in and made tons of resources available for something else ?
This is not the PC version. You see here the XBOX360 version in the SANBOX3 developer mode. Over the SANBOX3 you can play the game with mouse & Keyboard. Everything what you see is XBOX360 Footage

The person is not playing it on X360 and the video is Full HD 1080p.

LiquidMetal14

raphier said:
The person is not playing it on X360 and is the video is 1080
Please don't tell me we're getting false videos just to try and make 1 version look better? As I said, you clearly see the movement is too sharp for it to not be a mouse or highly accelerated pad. And those prompts clearly show KB presses.

And as one of the YT comments goes, it's basically playing it on PC in the specific mode (not sure why) but with 360 settings? I understand the need to compare but with good HW, you will always look and move better (fps wise) on the PC even with "console" settings.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Please don't tell me we're getting false videos just to try and make 1 version look better? As I said, you clearly see the movement is too sharp for it to not be a mouse or highly accelerated pad. And those prompts clearly show KB presses.

And as one of the YT comments goes, it's basically playing it on PC in the specific mode (not sure why) but with 360 settings? I understand the need to compare but with good HW, you will always look and move better (fps wise) on the PC even with "console" settings.

The video with that comment was leaked beta footage uploaded over a month ago. (I guess that's not bannable now?!)

Corky

LiquidMetal14 said:

I think it's a case of misunderstanding.

This is how I interpret it :

This is the 360 version , played on pc, within the cryengine dev software.
So in essence this is ofc the "pc-version" with certain settings tweaked in order to finally become a 360 version. ( i.e before optimization, reduction of graphical settings and resolution )

LiquidMetal14

banKai said:
What the hell? He even states that it IS on the 360 but played with mouse and keyboard?!
Getting too confusing for me. I am off to work now so hopefully that's cleared up. Looks good either way.

Graphics Horse said:
The video with that comment was leaked beta footage uploaded over a month ago. (I guess that's not bannable now?!)
He commented just 1 second ago on my page. Unless you're talking about something else. I'm commenting on that video quoted on this page.

LiquidMetal14

Corky said:
I think it's a case of misunderstanding.

This is how I interpret it :

This is the 360 version , played on pc, within the cryengine dev software.
So in essence this is ofc the "pc-version" with certain settings tweaked in order to finally become a 360 version. ( i.e before optimization, reduction of graphical settings and resolution )
That's cool but it's still slants performance as if you tweak the settings down, it will always run better on PC no matter what. Unless he purposely wants to play it on crap hardware but as you see by the video, it runs really smoother and the movements are sharp. Now, if he were to put up some raw 360 footage and not this awkward misinterpretation of it then I would be less confused. I think I understand now but again, at "360 level cfg settings on PC" you would still get 60fps and such on most PC's so it's rather slanted and unjust.

As I said, hope to have some clarity on this. No sense in dumbing down this PC version within dev SW just to show how good the 360 settings look on a PC, it's pointless and not representative of the real console versions (which look really good still). I'm off. Look forward to seeing more vids when I get home.

Why people are arguing over a single video? There's a lot of xbox360 (and PS3) footage from numerous posters in YT, some posted in previous pages.

People are alreading obtaining their copies and playing (and uploading to YT), its all over the forums.

luffeN

LiquidMetal14 said:
Getting too confusing for me. I am off to work now so hopefully that's cleared up. Looks good either way.

He commented just 1 second ago on my page. Unless you're talking about something else. I'm commenting on that video quoted on this page.

but here

youtube comments said:
"You see here the XBOX360 version in the SANBOX3 developer mode." Isn't this technically playing the game on PC with X360 configurations? It's not the same, because your hardware is different.

santtusoturi vor 14 Minuten
@santtusoturi No, because you connect your PC with the xbox360 and play this game over the Network on your Xbox360. It is the same as you play local on the 360.

valentine71 said:
Graphics are much better than the multiplayer demo and also it runs fine. So don't hesitate to buy this on PS3 because of the shitty MP demo. Game is fine.

So far i really like the gameplay, it gives you options. Stealth, direct assault, flanking,etc.; it feels deep. And after tons of CoD clones, this game really made me feel good.

Hmm, care to post a pic of your game case?

Vampire Hunter Vizier said:
Why people are arguing over a single video? There's a lot of xbox360 (and PS3) footage from numerous posters in YT, some posted in previous pages.

So that people have a better idea of which videos are genuine and which ones aren't.

I could post other February links of people messing around in leaked Sandbox 3 using Crysis 2 assets but I'm not sure if it's allowable.

Graphics Horse said:
So that people have a better idea of which videos are genuine and which ones aren't.

I could post other February links of people messing around in leaked Sandbox 3 using Crysis 2 assets but I'm not sure if it's allowable.

yeah but you have suddenly a quantum increase of crysis 2 gameplay videos, posted by people who say what version it is, together with the fact that people already obtained copies and playing right now. Anyway.

JoeBoy101

Corky said:
Is it possible to turn off that wierd blur on the pc-version ? ( is it the AA? )

It's temp AA. And I don't know. Apparently you can do it somehow in the demo, but my purchase of the game will be dependent on whether I can do it on the retail. I can't play the thing like that because I keep thinking my monitor is smudged or somethings in my eye. Seriously, shit hurts my eyes.

eso76

raphier said:
The person is not playing it on X360 and the video is Full HD 1080p.

What i'm saying is, even if that's not actual 360 footage you probably couldn't tell the difference at youtube res anyway. From my experience with the game, that's what crysis 2 looks like on consoles and that particular segment could look absolutely the same. Someone will eventually post footage from retail 360 version of the same segment and we will see for ourselves i guess.

yeah but you have suddenly a quantum increase of crysis 2 gameplay videos, posted by people who say what version it is, together with the fact that people already obtained copies and playing right now. Anyway.

It's still being linked to on this page, I'm just saying check the upload dates before wasting people's time showing them the unfinished beta.

Corky

JoeBoy101 said:
It's temp AA. And I don't know. Apparently you can do it somehow in the demo, but my purchase of the game will be dependent on whether I can do it on the retail. I can't play the thing like that because I keep thinking my monitor is smudged or somethings in my eye. Seriously, shit hurts my eyes.

yeah I agree it really looks like something is smudged on my screen :(

Graphics Horse said:
It's still being linked to on this page, I'm just saying check the upload dates before wasting people's time showing them the unfinished beta.

youre right.
Here is a YT video I found at b3d crysis thread. Shows water quality of x360 (or claims...). Overall impressive but notice the reflections are a little choppy and there are minor bugs.

strata8

youre right.
Here is a YT video I found at b3d crysis thread. Shows water quality of x360 (or claims...). Overall impressive but notice the reflections are a little choppy and there are minor bugs.
Still looks infinitely better than most of the water we see in games, though.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
eso76 said:
Um, the person you quoted isn't part of the master race, considering his comment about frame rate, lol...

Either way, it's a game made for 3 platforms, meaning the lowest denominator dictates a lot of the result on the rest. Even if a beastly PC can run it with much higher visual quality, resolution, a few tacked on DX11 effects (when that comes, the game's DX9 only atm, another hit to the quality), etc, it's still not taken advantage of fully. Shit, it doesn't really look any better than its 4 year old sibling, difference in setting aside, that alone is telling.

eso76 said:
What i'm saying is, even if that's not actual 360 footage you probably couldn't tell the difference at youtube res anyway. From my experience with the game, that's what crysis 2 looks like on consoles and that particular segment could look absolutely the same. Someone will eventually post footage from retail 360 version of the same segment and we will see for ourselves i guess.

This. Sir. Gives me hope. Thanks.

This is why people should wait before going batshit crazy on a game. All we had was the poor multiplayer demo to go off, and who gives a shit about multiplayer in Crysis? I can't wait for my PC to get a hold of the single player, going by the specs from the guy who played it I should be able to play it on...whatever they're calling high/very high (hardcore? I don't know) at a pretty stable framerate.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ickman3400 said:
who gives a shit about multiplayer in Crysis?
I do. And after fooling around in the 360 MP demo, it seems like it'll be a lot of fun.

abracadaver

S1kkZ said:

why doesnt your shadow dissapear when going invisible ?

shadowoyyk.jpg

Top Bottom