• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

JoeBoy101

I'm getting more and more interested, but am not buying until at least a DX11 announcement. But yeah, F the MP demo, should have done SP.

LEGGZZZZ

blazinglazers said:
I understand that the GAF hate machine went into overdrive and that our PC betters have some super legit grievances, but I thought the multi (once it would actually let me connect) was pretty great. It felt like COD and Reach had a baby, a slightly soft but gorgeous looking baby with badass powers and nice anti-camping incentives.

I'm excited man, I'm hot-jammin' over here!

Exactly my thoughts as well. MAXIMUM HYPERBOLE.

JoeBoy101

LEGGZZZZ said:
Exactly my thoughts as well. MAXIMUM HYPERBOLE.

Sorry pal, but the game is a downgrade in many areas that have been listed at length. I'm just willing to overlook it if that ease a bit more of my other concerns.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Right-o. Would've avoided a lot of negative vibes.

Frankly, their PR machine has been horrid. Bad demo. Almost no PC footage until release. Demurring about DX11 support and then the news gets broken in an Nvidia presentation. Still no word about DX11 support, even after they said they would be making an announcement 'soon'.

Haven't seen anything this bad since Dragon Age... which was also EA. Hmmm. Wonder if the same consultants or agency was used?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
JoeBoy101 said:
I'm getting more and more interested, but am not buying until at least a DX11 announcement. But yeah, F the MP demo, should have done SP.
Right-o. Would've avoided a lot of negative vibes.

LovingSteam said:
If the ini files are not encrypted count me back in as day 1. I am happy to admit ownage believe me. I REALLY want this game to be great and if the files needed to customize it are accessible I'm jumping in.
hey, that's more than i asked for. i really hope we both like it.

plagiarize said:
hey, that's more than i asked for. i really hope we both like it.

Same here. I will say that although Crytek seriously screwed up BIG time in putting out the MP demo without a SP, didn't include the customization options, and lack of communication on the PC version; if the ini files are not encrypted and this turns out like I hope, in the future I'll try to wait for the full release before making a judgment on a game.

LEGGZZZZ

JoeBoy101 said:
Sorry pal, but the game is a downgrade in many areas that have been listed at length. I'm just willing to overlook it if that ease a bit more of my other concerns.

I'm not debating that, but seeing comments such as "homefront status" and the like are disgusting (speaking in terms of console here). I still found the core gameplay fun, and while the multiplayer graphics aren't the greatest thing out, it still looks great compared to other games on console (framerate on PS3 is a valid complaint though). Now for the PC gamers, I can understand, as the game may be a downgrade in many areas like you said. Just my 2 cents.

scently

MrCompletely said:
Ha, I work on William street where this gameplay "takes place". Looks nothing like this in real life.

Pffft, of course it doesn't, it looks better than real life. Real life is so boring anyway :p

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I am truly impressed. The 360 version might be the best looking console FPS ever.

I am happy with my PC version, but now I am definitely picking up the 360 version for my little bro, he won't notice the difference :D

JoeBoy101

LEGGZZZZ said:
I'm not debating that, but seeing comments such as "homefront status" and the like are disgusting (speaking in terms of console here). I still found the core gameplay fun, and while the multiplayer graphics aren't the greatest thing out, it still looks great compared to other games on console (framerate on PS3 is a valid complaint though). Now for the PC gamers, I can understand, as the game may be a downgrade in many areas like you said. Just my 2 cents.

Fair enough. I'm just pointing out that like the previous poster said, there are a lot of PC legit complaints and alot of them don't center on graphics. That said, you could cut the bullshit in here with a spoon. I'll read the reviews, wait to hear about settings (sounds like there are the bullshit three settings), whether the ini files are encrypted, and if Crytek is EVER going to make a DX11 announcement (or release day patch, go forbid, ala Dragon Age 2 Hi-Res textures). Still glad I canceled my pre-order though. Not on the hook and the preorder bonuses sucked.

No_Style

Wow. Impressive stuff from the Xbox 360 version. PS3 isn't too shabby either. Thinking about getting the PS3 version here, but I may just wait for the DF article to see what's happening under that hood.

P.S - I agree with the suit voice as tutor. It's quite annoying. I'm guessing there's no way to change it to the British female version? It's so prolific, I'm doubting they'd record it twice.

LEGGZZZZ

JoeBoy101 said:
Fair enough. I'm just pointing out that like the previous poster said, there are a lot of PC legit complaints and alot of them don't center on graphics. That said, you could cut the bullshit in here with a spoon. I'll read the reviews, wait to hear about settings (sounds like there are the bullshit three settings), whether the ini files are encrypted, and if Crytek is EVER going to make a DX11 announcement (or release day patch, go forbid, ala Dragon Age 2 Hi-Res textures). Still glad I canceled my pre-order though. Not on the hook and the preorder bonuses sucked.

Yeah I'm guessing by the time they ever announce a DX11, you should be able to pick it up at a much cheaper price.

eshwaaz

Good Lord, they've done a terrible job marketing this game. These YouTube videos posted by gamers who got the game early have made me far more excited for Crysis 2 than any of the official videos EA has released.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Does most everyone think the MP is shit? I downloaded it and think it's pretty good. What's everyone's beef? I sold CODBLOPS for it so please let me know!

jackdoe

No_Style said:
Wow. Impressive stuff from the Xbox 360 version. PS3 isn't too shabby either. Thinking about getting the PS3 version here, but I may just wait for the DF article to see what's happening under that hood.
Surprisingly, the PS3 version looks just like the 360 version. IF CryTek were smart, they'd purposely gimp aspects of both platforms so that the two versions looked exactly alike. It would look worse compared to the PC versions, but console owners don't generally bitch about PC to console differences.

No_Style

Bboy AJ said:
Does most everyone think the MP is shit? I downloaded it and think it's pretty good. What's everyone's beef? I sold CODBLOPS for it so please let me know!

Nah. I just think the PS3 version was poop. PC version w/ 360 controller was very nice for me, but I'd love to have a great PS3 version so I can play against other controller wielders.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Bboy AJ said:
I had a good time, once I tweaked my settings. But I'm not burnt out on CoD yet so maybe I'm just easier to please. Actually, it reminded me of the multi in F.E.A.R, more than anything.

adelante

Vampire Hunter Vizier said:
Wow, the 360 version of that same area (7:06 onwards in that PS3 video) was posted a while ago but this time the player's going through a different route on the right....that place is actually MUCH bigger than I thought! I love the open sandbox approach that Bungie took with Halo but it's refreshing to see Crytek trying to do with same with an urban setting, which usually lends itself to a more constricting level design in other shooters

Khronikos

Banned
I don't think everybody believes it's shit but the controls take a lot of getting used to for some people and coming from KZ3 I just plain don't like how the game feels. KZ3 maps and networking need a lot of work but the gunplay is simply phenomenal. As well both MP demo's were quite ugly which is directly not in line with what Crytek promised.

I think people coming from their favorite shooters just don't really get the hype about the MP at all because its average and no better in many ways. The singly may very well be a spectacle worth waiting for idk and I am not going to hold my breathe.

And the junior stuff is just plain annoying. You wouldn't talk like that to people on the street so don't use it here. You have no clue how old or young some people are. It's really strange hearing what may be a 16 year old kid talking smack to what may be a 40 year old man. Please. Just weird. We understand that juniors have to have a post count but a lot of us were old members that died away for one reason or another or we simply just now came around to getting a membership accepted.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ah, very cool to hear that others are enjoying the MP, too. I've been playing it and think it's pretty fun. The controls took a bit to get used to but I'm alright now. Still strange to hit right on a d pad to select a grenade (360).

I'm burnt out on BLOPS and tried Homefront but it didn't jive with me. Here's hoping Crysis 2 fills my MP void.

How do I check if the config files are encrypted? All I remember from Crysis 1 are system.cfg and autoexec, are you talking about those? Aside from those I just installed configs that came with their own executable.

I don't have any pictures from the first level, I got only 2 from the 2nd one, at least pictures that serve for comparison.

I'm gonna try and report back, but I can't promise anything. My computer stands at the PC LAN zone, but I'm hosting 360 tournaments on the other side of the complex, whenever I'm not hosting I'm sitting right next to the 360 zone taking a look at whether someone is trying to be a smartass. These weekends are extremely busy, the schedule is extremely tight (and most of the times we're running late actually), and are pretty much the most tiring days I have during the year. I sleep on the floor, eat crap food, etc. Today was a lucky day because the schedule isn't as tight as it's the first day. I'm gonna try and take a few screens for comparisons and check the encryption, but don't expect anything. If I knew you wanted to know it so badly (I didn't even know they had encrypted config files... wtf?) I would've come here earlier instead of playing the game. I'm leaving a few screens I left uploading while I was away though. I hope you don't mind it being 10+ pics. I'll edit later if it's needed.

crysis21f.jpg

crysis22.jpg

crysis24.jpg

crysis25.jpg

crysis26.jpg

crysis27.jpg

crysis28a.jpg

crysis29.jpg

crysis210.jpg

crysis211.jpg

crysis212.jpg

maus

i like the parts where the game takes control away from the player for some super serious character dialogue or alien reveal in between rivaling FEAR 2 in level linearity

-bakalhau- said:
How do I check if the config files are encrypted? All I remember from Crysis 1 are system.cfg and autoexec, are you talking about those? Aside from those I just installed configs that came with their own executable.

I don't have any pictures from the first level, I got only 2 from the 2nd one, at least pictures that serve for comparison.

I'm gonna try and report back, but I can't promise anything. My computer stands at the PC LAN zone, but I'm hosting 360 tournaments on the other side of the complex, whenever I'm not hosting I'm sitting right next to the 360 zone taking a look at whether someone is trying to be a smartass. These weekends are extremely busy, the schedule is extremely tight (and most of the times we're running late actually), and are pretty much the most tiring days I have during the year. I sleep on the floor, eat crap food, etc. Today was a lucky day because the schedule isn't as tight as it's the first day. I'm gonna try and take a few screens for comparisons and check the encryption, but don't expect anything. If I knew you wanted to know it so badly (I didn't even know they had encrypted config files... wtf?) I would've come here earlier instead of playing the game. I'm leaving a few screens I left uploading while I was away though. I hope you don't mind it being 10+ pics. I'll edit later if it's needed.

What is it with Crytek and these crappy looking ground textures. ugh.

adelante

-bakalhau- said:
*screenies*
Those are some fantastic PC screenshots! :O

Not trying to make the thread suddenly less awesome but, some comparison screengrabs from the x360/ps3 videos linked earlier....Constrast/gamma issues aside, I'm surprised that as far as level of detail goes, both versions seem identical. Pretty awesome for a relatively new multiplatform engine:

qP5Cl.jpg

VQ1D6.jpg

c95UZ.jpg

pkShd.jpg

-PXG-

Ugh.... RGB Full Range motherfucker. I guarantee you that is the number one reason as to why the PS3 version ALWAYS looks more washed and has less contrast than the 360. People have their shit set to Limited :/

adelante said:
Wow, the 360 version of that same area (7:06 onwards in that PS3 video) was posted a while ago but this time the player's going through a different route on the right....that place is actually MUCH bigger than I thought! I love the open sandbox approach that Bungie took with Halo but it's refreshing to see Crytek trying to do with same with an urban setting, which usually lends itself to a more constricting level design in other shooters

Actually, the first Crysis also had big open sandbox style levels that enabled you to take radically different approaches to hitting the objectives. I loved Crysis 1, everyone should play it. I even liked the VTOL level.

-PXG- said:
Ugh.... RGB Full Range motherfucker. I guarantee you that is the number one reason as to why the PS3 version ALWAYS looks more washed and has less contrast than the 360. People have their shit set to Limited :/

From what I've seen of pics. It's the 360 version displaying what is typical of black crush/shadow detail loss than just the PS3 being "washed out". Just look at the hallway shot, it's so blatant.

On a lot of TV sets, Full Range will cause black crush too.

maxxpower

Question(s): Is this one of the best looking multiplat shooters? Does it look better than Killzone 3? Does it have aim assist?(I hope not)

-PXG-

maxxpower said:
Question(s): Is this one of the best looking multiplat shooters? Does it look better than Killzone 3? Does it have aim assist?(I hope not)

It has it on by default, but you can turn it off.

adelante

MrCompletely said:
Actually, the first Crysis also had big open sandbox style levels that enabled you to take radically different approaches to hitting the objectives. I loved Crysis 1, everyone should play it. I even liked the VTOL level.
Oh yeah i'm aware of that, and in some cases the game feels similar to Halo3/Reach in that both aren't set in a dense urban setting, an environment which typically lends itself to narrow corridor types of levels in other FPSes...and it doesn't seem to be the case here with Crysis 2

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
-bakalhau- said:

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/1636/crysis21f.jpg
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5914/crysis22.jpg
http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/5159/crysis24.jpg
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/8108/crysis25.jpg
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/8039/crysis26.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8359/crysis27.jpg
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/2912/crysis28a.jpg
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5999/crysis29.jpg
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8521/crysis210.jpg
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/3018/crysis211.jpg
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3981/crysis212.jpg

Wow, Crysis 2's DX9 is miles ahead of any other game in DX11. Consolized my ass.

Top Bottom