• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
sTaTIx said:
That's clearly PC-version footage, fyi, before you get too excited.

Funny how even the PC version's framerate is a little wonky.
Say what? The PC version's framerate depends on your rig. For all we know, the guy could have been playing on a $200 videocard, which would make those graphics and performance mighty impressive.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm seriously debating pre-ordering the game right now on steam.

Money isn't an issue, but is it going to be a game I want to play right now (I'm starting spring break...right now so I have a week to enjoy it) or can I wait later (when I might not have time) for a cheaper price.

and does the exclusive stuff add incentive to a tonight purchase?

I need help guys.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
I have a $25 gift certificate from Gamestop and am really thinking about using it on this just for the single player. Any word on the length of the single player?

Guts Of Thor said:
I have a $25 gift certificate from Gamestop and am really thinking about using it on this just for the single player. Any word on the length of the single player?
Well pretty much the one review that's out now clocked it at 13 hours.

Based on everything I'm hearing, good SP sounds like a safe bet. I'm getting it for the SP primarily, I think a lot of people here are too.

Animator

I dunno why everybody is hating so much on the mp. I absolutely loved it and will probably play that and not touch singleplayer till dx11 patch is out.

sleepykyo

adelante said:
qP5Cl.jpg

]

How is this a massive improvement over the mp (in regards to the PS3)? It is still pretty blurry and grainy. Was it running at completely solid 30fps?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So does anyone know if the "limited edition" PC content is just some bullshit attached to your Crysis 2 account, or is actually something extra contained on the game disc?

I know the game's not out yet, but maybe it's been addressed....

Guts Of Thor said:

I'm about 8 and a half hours in... I don't know how close I am to the end. All I know is I couldn't help but play a bit more, I figured I could play just a few more minutes while I waited for someone to help me out on the encryption stuff. I'm literally falling asleep now so I'm off, I swear I won't clutter the thread with more pics for a good while.

I honestly think the PC version looks as good as Crysis 1. 1st pic, mind = blown

PS: I'm actually considering not playing anymore until I'm home and have my own retail copy, I don't want it to end :(

crysis21.png

crysis22.png

crysis213.png

crysis214.png

crysis216.png

strata8

sleepykyo said:
How is this a massive improvement over the mp (in regards to the PS3)? It is still pretty blurry and grainy. Was it running at completely solid 30fps?
Those are screencaps from a video...

-PXG- said:
Ugh.... RGB Full Range motherfucker. I guarantee you that is the number one reason as to why the PS3 version ALWAYS looks more washed and has less contrast than the 360. People have their shit set to Limited :/

its sad how some people spread misinforation such as yourself. for the majority of televisions, limited is the correct setting.

Khronikos

Banned
Totally, that junk was one thing that pissed me off so much a couple years back. I have no idea how many misinformed people are using full range but Sony seriously just needs to label those things better.

Limited is the color values 16 to 235. This is what Bluray uses, what TV uses and what most games are programmed for. Only if you have a TV with a full range setting, or one that can adjust the 'black level' setting or whatever it may be called on your TV can you use these extended values and let me tell you that you will notice zero difference when each setting is calibrated. I have compared numerous games and I just went back to Limited so I don't have to switch it anymore for Bluray etc.

Bluray also has super white HDMI setting which gives you super black and super white above the normal limited values. When your TV is not calibrated or does not support Full Range values you crush the blacks and whites on the lower and upper ranges! This is not good. People have gotten way too used to the faulty values on the 360 and the comparisons so long ago totally misdirected people. If a game states that it can be run in full range then by all means use it I just haven't run across any that seem to make a difference. Crushing your values is not a good thing.

PC Full Range values of 0-250 will obviously be good for the PC I assume and I have not tested my TV with this though I hope to in the future when I hook a PC up to HDMI. At any cost just use the freaking Limited setting unless you have a PC.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The 360 looks decent but the blur on the PS3 is pretty gross. I'm not even gonna buy the PC version until someone figures out how to get rid of that godawful Vaseline filter.

Khronikos

Banned
maxxpower said:
Question(s): Is this one of the best looking multiplat shooters? Does it look better than Killzone 3? Does it have aim assist?(I hope not)

At this point no this game does not look as good as KZ3 on consoles. IMO there is a decent gap between them. Based off the PS3 multi demo that gap could be a large chasm. As far as I can tell people saying otherwise have never played KZ3. Until we see final code we can only look at what we have and there is no way in hell the MP demo's are equal to KZ3 online.

heyf00L

KingOfKong said:
its sad how some people spread misinforation such as yourself. for the majority of televisions, limited is the correct setting.
I thought he was talking about screen captures. Whatever people are using to capture the pictures will can probably handle full range.

strata8

Khronikos said:
At this point no this game does not look as good as KZ3 on consoles. IMO there is a decent gap between them. Based off the PS3 multi demo that gap could be a large chasm. As far as I can tell people saying otherwise have never played KZ3. Until we see final code we can only look at what we have and there is no way in hell the MP demo's are equal to KZ3 online.
Hold on, why doesn't SP come into the equation here? And why are you only using the PS3 version? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 360 is also a console.

TUROK

Lol, the shift in tone in this thread is hilarious. Goes to show that it's best to reserve judgement until the retail copies are released/leaked.

Poor Crytek, everyone was jumping all over them for "false promises" and "lazy PS3 development", and yet here we are with a gorgeous game on all three platforms.

What causes that smeared/blurry look on the PS3 version? For whatever reason I see it clearly here but on most of the other PS3 games where the majority sees what they say is obvious blur but I can't see it at all.

LEGGZZZZ

Khronikos said:

Honestly I'm leaning more towards crysis right now. The level of detail is about the same, but the different post processing effects, lighting, and motion blur give Crysis the edge on console imo, and its multiplatform. Very impressive.

TUROK

Mizzou Gaming said:
What causes that smeared/blurry look on the PS3 version? For whatever reason I see it clearly here but on most of the other PS3 games where the majority sees what they say is obvious blur but I can't see it at all.
The PS3 version runs at a 1024x720 res, I believe. The horizontal stretch to fit the screen would cause some blurring. Also, the edge-detect AA they use seems to cause some blurring as well.

some guy at mycrysis.com

To the PS3 version looks exactly the same as 360 version (believe me i know what i'm saying) you have to do some things:

- Put your PS3 to FULL RGB and Super White ON
- If you have HDMI, put your black level to LOW (yes LOW, not normal).
- In game, adjust the brightness.

You have to do this to PS3 version looks exactly the same as 360. In some frames, the reflections and water/rock shaders can even be more detailed than 360 version.

If you don't do this, you will have a washed out image with less color.

Trust me guy's, fallow my advice and you will be very happy with your ps3 version. ;)

I'm just saying...

Cheers

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
TUROK said:
Lol, the shift in tone in this thread is hilarious. Goes to show that it's best to reserve judgement until the retail copies are released/leaked.

Poor Crytek, everyone was jumping all over them for "false promises" and "lazy PS3 development", and yet here we are with a gorgeous game on all three platforms.
Why are they poor? They gave people the demo, people judged the game by the demo. If the game is better it's not poor Crytek, it's stupid Crytek.

burgerdog

-PXG- said:
Ugh.... RGB Full Range motherfucker. I guarantee you that is the number one reason as to why the PS3 version ALWAYS looks more washed and has less contrast than the 360. People have their shit set to Limited :/
Please stop spreading misinformation. Only use full range if you are playing on a PC monitor. If you turn it on and you're using a tv that doesn't support it--it will create black crush. However, if your tv does support it and you turn it on then full range and limited will look exactly the same(assuming you also change the range on your tv accordingly.)

Just woke up...

LOL, WTF happened to the tone in this thread!?

Anyhoo,

my body is ready and all that

Oh, one more thing

Is there really not much of a difference between Advanced and Hardcore?

kitch9

Banned
Vampire Hunter Vizier said:
some guy at mycrysis.com

The uneducated think crushed blacks and loss of image fidelity looks better, regardless of the fact you can no longer see 30% of the image. The 360's colour reproduction by default IS SHIT and does all that as standard, whereas the PS3 which was initially designed to be a top end Blu-Ray player pretty much displays the image as intended by the source material....... Thats why you have to everything wrong as that guy at mycrysis is doing to get your image anywhere near the shit that is the 360 output.

TUROK

Alextended said:
Why are they poor? They gave people the demo, people judged the game by the demo. If the game is better it's not poor Crytek, it's stupid Crytek.
Judging an entire game based on a multiplayer demo that was developed by Free Radical, when the SP portion was done by Crytek, is incredibly idiotic.

Alexios

TUROK said:
Judging an entire game based on a multiplayer demo that was developed by Free Radical, when the SP portion was done by Crytek, is incredibly idiotic.
Then they should release a single player demo with it. It's Crytek's/EA's fault, not the gamers' fault in any way. It's a game demo. People use them to judge games. You'd think they'd collaborate to make sure their engine is used at its best by FR anyway. Free Radical = Crytek UK. If they are worse, why buy/rename them and not make it explicitly clear to people that they're wholly separate and provide wholly separate products despite being in the same box? Why not offer Crysis single player separate for $40 and Crysis Multiplayer for $20? They gave one demo as a representation of one game.

Alexios

-bakalhau- said:
I honestly think the PC version looks as good as Crysis 1. 1st pic, mind = blown
What's your system, how does the game run, and how does it run in comparison to Crysis 1 and/or Warhead?

TUROK

Alextended said:
Then they should release a single player demo with it. It's Crytek's/EA's fault, not the gamers' fault in any way. It's a game demo. People use them to judge games.
This isn't about placing blame, it's about not jumping to conclusions and looking like an idiot.

If the multiplayer demo sucked, then that means the multiplayer in the game most likely blows. It does not mean that Crytek is a lazy developer, and that they're full of shit, like a lot of people in the thread claimed.

luka said:
I hope they let us turn it off like in the original, but somehow I doubt it.
this. Or let motherfucking Uma Thurman speak it out. What a dumb voice. Game looks freaking fantastic though. Hope the framerate holds up.

Vampire Hunter Vizier said:
some guy at mycrysis.com
Never do this unless you are a blind fool that wants to be known as a blind fool.

-PXG- said:
You're entitled to like any look you want, but it does not enhance the image, it crushes black values. It may seem like the insane contrast will make things pop more, but at a loss in detail in dark areas. Imo that's a big loss in many games. Like going back to composite cables for colours and black values.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Those pics looks nice. I've warmed up to the city premise.

Been trying to avoid as much as possible so I can be pleasantly surprised.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Always-honest said:
You're entitled to like any look you want, but it does not enhance the image, it crushes black values. It may seem like the insane contrast will make things pop more, but at a loss in detail in dark areas. Imo that's a big loss in many games. Like going back to composite cables for colours and black values.
Basically. Everyone complains that ps3 always looks washed out in comparison pics, but that's how it's supposed to look. It's the 360 images that are usually far too dark.

strata8

luka said:
Basically. Everyone complains that ps3 always looks washed out in comparison pics, but that's how it's supposed to look. It's the 360 images that are usually far too dark.
The PS3 version is still slightly washed out, though; the blacks are more like a dark grey when compared to the PC version.

ymmv

Banned
-PXG- said:

Read this explanation , follow the instructions to configure your TV and stop spreading nonsense about things you don't know a thing about.

NotTarts said:
The PS3 version is still slightly washed out, though; the blacks are more like a dark grey when compared to the PC version.

Do you really think the graphics card in the PS3 is incapable of creating the same color palette as a PC or 360? Do you think developers are blind, don't notice these things and are incapable of getting the same colors on PC, 360 and PS3? If there's a color/contrast difference, the problem lies with users who haven't set up their hardware right.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
NotTarts said:
You also have to consider that those pc shots are direct framebuffer captures, so they would look correct relative to how the gamma/contrast is set on your computer. The console shots are taken from a compressed streaming video.

sinnergy

Like I said pages back, lots of crow is gonna be eaten.

I am glad I didn't base my opinion on the MP demo (x360) which I thought btw looked pretty good for MP. It looks like SP is a whole different ballgame.

Wow, this thread has really taken a turn for the positive. See, it was just Free Radical fucking things up, nothing to worry about!

Now, for which version to get...

Khronikos

Banned
LEGGZZZZ said:
Honestly I'm leaning more towards crysis right now. The level of detail is about the same, but the different post processing effects, lighting, and motion blur give Crysis the edge on console imo, and its multiplatform. Very impressive.

Really doesn't add up. It's pretty obvious who has the better textures in these games if you have truly played both. Some guys seem like a Crytek software manual or something. KZ3 has some of the most intense if not the most intense post processing effects around. Couple this with much better AA that is very noticeable in motion, better resolution, a lot more than the PS3 version, far less pop in, better framerate, and better sound imo by a bit as well and I just don't see how the other quite on the same level. In fact I go so far as to say something like RDR is more a showpiece for the 360.

But Cry2 does have some nice lighting which is significant as well trying to detail cities which this gen of consoles really is clearly not ready for. The jaggies in motion on Cry2 are not something you want in a game you are calling the best looking game around. Of course when we have some single player screens and DF we can get a better viewpoint on the whole thing. I am still iffy about the PS3 version but may pick up the 360 version if it were cheap enough.

And really, the 360 really has contributed to all this crap on color levels and it should be called out for it. Besides what was already said a lot of black level comes down to your screen and how black it actually can get. Most people are playing on crappy screens hence they think the darker contrasty image of the 360 without correction somehow looks better. Get a real screen and you will have no problem with shadow detail and black levels on limited setting. God I do hate that term as well. It's not fucking limited. It's the fucking STANDARD.

Just like people who refuse to calibrate to D65 standard for color temp because they think everything should be drenched in blue and look cool. The standard was set because it represents the spectrum of daylight which correlates to the 6500k line on the Planckian locus. On most newer TV's a warm setting best represents this but at times they can be too warm which is very annoying.

Top Bottom