• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Man

What makes it pseudo 3D?
The models and environments aren't rendered twice from two slightly different angels.
It replicates the one 2D image twice with each objects separated (between left/right image) according to depth.
The background, middleground and foreground are clearly separated but there is no proper volume however.

Pseudo 3D only requires 1-2% more from the system while proper 3D requires roughly 100% more.

Crysis 2 (console) and Socom 4 are two games which uses pseudo 3D. Killzone 3, MotorStorm 3 and Crysis 2 PC uses proper dual-rendered 3D.

Pseudo 3D = cardboard cutouts

Klocker

Man said:
Corrected.

perhaps but its the results that matter

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/c...a-20110318172040751056/g-20090601103043632061

How do we know this for sure? We have played through roughly 90% of the game in 3D on the 360. Our review won’t be up until Tuesday, but for now we just wanted to share how this may just be the best 3D tech we’ve seen on any game. Yes, the 3D requires a compatible TV, but surprisingly it doesn’t require those expensive active-shutter glasses. We wore crummy-old plastic polarized glasses, and after a comparison assessment, we think Crysis 2’s 3D is miles ahead of Killzone 3’s – even with Killzone using those fancy-pants active-shutter glasses. With Killzone we noticed some significant jaggies that don’t seem to synch well with the 3D, as well as some not-insignificant ghostly double images around much of the environment. It also hurt our eyes something fierce after only a couple of minutes.

Man said:
The models and environments aren't rendered twice from two slightly different angels.
It replicates the one 2D image twice with each objects separated (between left/right image) according to depth.
The background, middleground and foreground are clearly separated but there is no proper volume however.

Pseudo 3D only requires 1-2% more from the system while proper 3D requires roughly 100% more.

Crysis 2 (console) and Socom 4 are two games which uses pseudo 3D. Killzone 3, MotorStorm 3 and Crysis 2 PC uses proper dual-rendered 3D.

Ah, I see. Interesting!

-bakalhau- said:
Posted earlier.

GTX285 OC2, Core i7 920 @2.8Ghz, 3GB RAM, W7.

It runs between 30-60 on Hardcore. It runs better because I don't get any dips to the 20s like I had sometimes in Crysis 1. It runs at 60fps on Advanced, and the only difference between the 2 settings is shadow resolution and pop in (less polygons it means). I also have virtually no aliasing, due to temp AA. It looks sharp to me but that changes from person to person it seems.
Hey man, have you been able to find outif the ini files are locked?

Man

Yes, the 3D requires a compatible TV, but surprisingly it doesn’t require those expensive active-shutter glasses. We wore crummy-old plastic polarized glasses, and after a comparison assessment, we think Crysis 2’s 3D is miles ahead of Killzone 3’s
I guess they meant anaglyph blue and red, this technology thing is really hard. I guess they desire headaches, epilepsy attacks and hate colors. Also hates 3D volume in their 3D apparantly, desires cardboard cutouts.

bj00rn_

Banned
Man said:

Cardboard cutouts huh... Hmm, well.. I have both systems and a pretty nice 3DTV and I've played 3D games quite a bit on both, and even though I only briefly played through the Crysis 2 demo I honestly see little to no difference in the way the 3D is presented between f.ex. Crysis 2 on the 360 and f.ex. "proper 3D" (LOL?) in Wipeout or Motorstorm on the PS3. I know I'm usually not a complete idiot, so what the fuck?

Man

I have not actually played Crysis 2 in 3D yet btw, I'm basing this on reports from various sites stating the Crysis 2 console actually uses that technique (and my experience with pseudo 3D).

If they are dual-rendering with Crysis 2 console then I expect it to look amazing.

Man said:
One tip though:
I have not actually played Crysis 2 in 3D yet, I'm basing this on what has been told by various sites and my experience with pseudo 3D elsewhere.

If they are dual-rendering with Crysis 2 console then I expect it to look amazing.
i played the demo on PS3 (which could still have the unfinished implementation that the 360 demo had, though i doubt it) and wasn't that impressed at all.

Mortal Kombat uses a similar technique and again i wasn't impressed there.

KillZone 3, Motorstorm, stuff i've played on PC are MUCH better. i really hope the PC is infact dual rendering... cause that's the version i'm getting.

WrikaWrek said:
You see, it does the 3D effect...but it doesn't do so by the standard way, so it's PSEUDO!!!! TTAKE THAT CRYTEK
it does A 3D effect that doesn't look nearly as good as games that render two seperate views. pseudo 3D is the best term i can think of for it, and we do need a term to seperate the two solutions since one provides much more convincing results than the other.

i'd rather play Killzone 3 or 3D rift in low resolution than Mortal Kombat or Crysis 2 at full 720p in pseudo 3D.

Klocker

Man said:
I have not actually played Crysis 2 in 3D yet btw, I'm basing this on reports from various sites stating the Crysis 2 console actually uses that technique (and my experience with pseudo 3D).

it does not do dual rendering AND looks as good as dual rendering and is easier on the eyes....

so... New tech that looks and works great with less resource use? expect (Crytek's implementation) pseudo 3D to become the defacto 3D method

bj00rn_

Banned
plagiarize said:
i played the demo on PS3 (which could still have the unfinished implementation that the 360 demo had, though i doubt it) and wasn't that impressed at all.

Mortal Kombat uses a similar technique and again i wasn't impressed there.

KillZone 3, Motorstorm, stuff i've played on PC are MUCH better. i really hope the PC is infact dual rendering... cause that's the version i'm getting.

it does A 3D effect that doesn't look nearly as good as games that render two seperate views. pseudo 3D is the best term i can think of for it, and we do need a term to seperate the two solutions since one provides much more convincing results than the other.

i'd rather play Killzone 3 or 3D rift in low resolution than Mortal Kombat or Crysis 2 at full 720p in pseudo 3D.

Do you have any suggestions for why gamesradar have a completely different take on this and say that the 3D in the 360 version is better than f.ex. Killzone 3? The conflicting reports are bizarre at best. "Cardboard cutouts!!!" vs "BETTER THAN KILLZONE 3!!!" I'm confused..

Man

Klocker said:
expect (Crytek's implementation) pseudo 3D to become the defacto 3D method
Then our 3DTV's mean shit (at least there is 3D blu-rays with dual video sources and not just a single 2D image and a depth map so not a total waste).

bj00rn_ said:
Do you have any suggestions for why gamesradar have a completely different take on this and say that the 3D in the 360 version is better than f.ex. Killzone 3? The conflicting reports are bizarre at best. "Cardboard cutouts!!!" vs "BETTER THAN KILLZONE 3!!!" I'm confused..
i'd suggest that it's because they are more sensitive to IQ or framerate than depth. the IQ of Crysis 2 in 3D is much better than the IQ of Killzone 3. the depth conveyed is drastically inferior though. the fact that they think the type of glasses they viewed it with depend on how the game does 3D shows that they really don't know much about this.

some games drop IQ to run in 3D on consoles (Killzone 3), some games drop framerate (Tron Evolution). i can see someone who values IQ and framerate above accurate depth preferring this method.

however, anyone looking at Motorstorm Apocalypse would recognise that as the best 3D game on consoles because it has full 720p at a stable 30 fps AND proper 3D.

i'm not worried about pseudo 3D become standard on consoles, because i can't see it becoming standard on PC. i hope it doesn't become standard on consoles though. hopefully Sony will keep pushing proper 3D.

I won't be suprised if the PS3 and 360 demos/retail versions look exactly the same. There are alot of trolls throughout the internet. Also, alot of people playing on low quality Plasma/LCDs. PS3 needs good connections and display. Upgrade your TV, or better yet, get a CRT.

bj00rn_ said:
I honestly see little to no difference in the way the 3D is presented between f.ex. Crysis 2 on the 360 and f.ex. "proper 3D" (LOL?) in Wipeout or Motorstorm on the PS3. I know I'm usually not a complete idiot, so what the fuck?
the Crysis 2 demo on the 360 only rendered at three depths. you had the hud, you had the gun and you had everything else. the environment and all characters in it were rendered at the same depth.

the full version is meant to do things better than this, but if you can't see the difference between 'everything but the gun and hud rendered at the same depth' and wipeout or motorstorm, you aren't going to see the difference in Crysis 2.

sorry to break the news.

Klocker said:
that quote shows that they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

they saw the game on a passive 3D set. that's all that part means. on my 3DTV i am going to need to use my active shutter glasses just as i did when i played the PS3 demo.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
MrCompletely said:
You cared enough to reply, junior.
YEkbH.gif

Nizz

S1kkZ said:
oh yes. almost all of my friends had the brightness on 100% and sharpness on the maximum level. when i calibrate their tv they are amazed at how much better it looks.
You're doing the world a big favor, sir! :) Even if I calibrated my tv using a THX DVD, it still looks pretty good compared to the in-store settings out of the box.

Fersis said:
So the PS3 version is on par with the other?
I'm not sure wether to be glad or pissed. I don't think I've ever seen a game with so many differing opinions on it. The MP demo ran like shit, one site mentioned they played SP and it ran sub-30fps, yet single player looks/runs fine and getting praised by other sites.

Man said:
I guess they meant anaglyph blue and red, this technology thing is really hard. I guess they desire headaches, epilepsy attacks and hate colors. Also hates 3D volume in their 3D apparantly, desires cardboard cutouts.
They're not blue and red (like the ones you get in Batman AA Goty ed), they're the same passive 3D glasses you get in movie theaters.

Ionic

I don't know if this is widely known yet, but it seems the game will have an Extreme setting. I'm guessing it just means DX11. Still, though.

x2uczq.jpg

Edit: Screen was taken from somebody with a retail copy.

scitek

That Extreme setting was mentioned by someone way back when the beta leaked. They even said it would probably be patched in after release. It was before the whole "no-DX11 on launch" thing was even known about. Seems like people forgot about it.

.nimrod

Yes, the 3D requires a compatible TV, but surprisingly it doesn’t require those expensive active-shutter glasses. We wore crummy-old plastic polarized glasses, and after a comparison assessment, we think Crysis 2’s 3D is miles ahead of Killzone 3’s – even with Killzone using those fancy-pants active-shutter glasses.

Wow, they really don't know how 3D TVs work. The need for glasses is entirely dependent on how your TV/Monitor displays the effect, it doesn't have anything to do with the game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
purple cobra said:
I'm not sure wether to be glad or pissed. I don't think I've ever seen a game with so many differing opinions on it. The MP demo ran like shit, one site mentioned they played SP and it ran sub-30fps, yet single player looks/runs fine and getting praised by other sites.
I know, i dont understand what the hell is going on!
Ive played the PS3 Demo and the framerate was bad. Gameplay was fun though. :3

Xater

.nimrod said:
Wow, they really don't know how 3D TVs work. The need for glasses is entirely dependent on how your TV/Monitor displays the effect, it doesn't have anything to do with the game.

Yeah, these guys seem to be rather clueless.

Man

Decarb said:
They're not blue and red (like the ones you get in Batman AA Goty ed), they're the same passive 3D glasses you get in movie theaters.
They described polarized glasses as 'crummy and old' and they have obviously no clue at all how 3D tech works. There are far less polarized screens in the home today then there are 3DTV's meant for active shutter glasses (the latter is also way cheaper). I'm inclined to believe they actually meant Anaglyph.

There isn't a nigel file with all the files there in retail like in the demo, there's the familiar Crysis 1 directory folders, I see 32-bit and 64-bit executables too. There is a system.cfg file indeed (I suppose that was what you were looking for).

I was reading a few threads looking for other people with retail copies, found out some interesting stuff. I hadn't looked for Sandbox Editor but I saw people asking others, now I did look and it's not installed. Can't see it on the DVD either. I read it's going to be released this summer for free. There's actually a DX10 .dll file but no DX11 .dll.

I didn't mention this as it's basically the same graphic options as in the demo, but someone posted the picture above so... They did change the presets (edit: changed the names, quality is still the same) to Good, Very Good and Extreme.

Rengoku

gamesradar said:
How do we know this for sure? We have played through roughly 90% of the game in 3D on the 360. Our review won’t be up until Tuesday, but for now we just wanted to share how this may just be the best 3D tech we’ve seen on any game. Yes, the 3D requires a compatible TV, but surprisingly it doesn’t require those expensive active-shutter glasses. We wore crummy-old plastic polarized glasses, and after a comparison assessment, we think Crysis 2’s 3D is miles ahead of Killzone 3’s – even with Killzone using those fancy-pants active-shutter glasses.

I'm not sure these guys know what the hell they're talking about. If they were using polarized glasses, then it means they were playing the game on a Passive 3D TV. One of the biggest drawbacks of passive TVs versus active-shutter TVs is that they halve the vertical resolution of the image (sort of like interlacing). Each eye only gets 50% of the image whereas on an active-shutter TV, each eye gets the full 100% resolution. The benefit of the passive TV though is you get a brighter image generally.

Zen

Banned
Those direct feed shots are seriously impressive. Aside from the resolution, they are literally identical. We'll wait and see how it plays, but man, why did Crytek release demos of the multiplayer, I think it's the single player that would sell this thing.

WrikaWrek said:
You see, it does the 3D effect...but it doesn't do so by the standard way, so it's PSEUDO!!!! TTAKE THAT CRYTEK

No it's literally a hack that has been around for some time. There's nothing new, or impressive, about it. Contrary to what some company blowhards were claiming. There would be no backlash (and props to them if they implemented the hack well) if the company head hadn't lied repeatedly about it.

Cardboard cutout 3D is like the kind of 3D you get with movies that add 3D after the fact, and looks bad. There was no actual depth information put to film.

JB1981

Zen said:
Just the slightly lower resolution, aside from that they look identical.

That softer look is the result of just slightly lower res? Hmmm, wonder how the framerates compare. Certainly not the disaster BLOPS was but the soft look coupled w/ the temporal AA really does wreak havoc on the IQ of the game.

JB1981 said:
That softer look is the result of just slightly lower res? Hmmm, wonder how the framerates compare. Certainly not the disaster BLOPS was but the soft look coupled w/ the temporal AA really does wreak havoc on the IQ of the game.

if i remember correctly, didn't somebody already state that the PS3 will have higher FPS then the 360 version but slightly lower resolution?

JB1981

Koralsky said:
I think texture filtering is a little bit better on PS3 - look at pedestrian.

texture filtering is better? maybe i am mistaking texture filtering with something else but the textures look more defined on 360.

Animator

Ionic said:
I don't know if this is widely known yet, but it seems the game will have an Extreme setting. I'm guessing it just means DX11. Still, though.

x2uczq.jpg

Edit: Screen was taken from somebody with a retail copy.

No the dx11 setting is called "MAXIMUM EXTREME"

Top Bottom