• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Koralsky said:
I think texture filtering is a little bit better on PS3 - look at pedestrian.

Yep, PS3 seems to have better AF. Overall the 360 version looks better though. In the end the framerate will decide the winner.

aegies

KingOfKong said:
if i remember correctly, didn't somebody already state that the PS3 will have higher FPS then the 360 version but slightly lower resolution?

That wasn't my experience a couple of weeks ago, but I'm waiting for retail to make any final judgments. Mind, we still don't have retail on PS3.

x3sphere

Ionic said:
I don't know if this is widely known yet, but it seems the game will have an Extreme setting. I'm guessing it just means DX11. Still, though.

Edit: Screen was taken from somebody with a retail copy.

Crytek redeemed? Hope this is true.

Zen

Banned
JB1981 said:
texture filtering is better? maybe i am mistaking texture filtering with something else but the textures look more defined on 360.

What you want to be looking at are textures over distance. PS3 has, oddly, been known to have better Anistropic filtering than 360 games, even in the case of bad ports.

KingOfKong said:
pretty much the same. guess it was true when the dev said there will be no noticeable difference between PS3 and 360.

cant wait till Tues for my PS3 copy!!

Just a resolution differences? hardly minor...1024 x 720 is pretty pathetic. Maybe the ps3 version and NGP version were developed in tandem?

Zen

Banned
schennmu said:
Yep, PS3 seems to have better AF. Overall the 360 version looks better though. In the end the framerate will decide the winner.

I don't know, the blur on the PS3 is so slight that I think both versions are functionally identical. Like you said, it's going to come down the framerate (and some consideration to how the MP is on both retail versions).

nelsonroyale said:
Just a resolution differences? hardly minor...1024 x 720 is pretty pathetic. Maybe the ps3 version and NGP version were developed in tandem?

Both games are sub HD, do those direct feed shots for the 360 and PS3 version really look much different?

JB1981

Zen said:
What you want to be looking at are textures over distance. PS3 has, oddly, been known to have better Anistropic filtering than 360 games, even in the case of bad ports.

can you point me to an example with the above direct feed pics so i know where to look?

-viper-

Banned
plagiarize said:
i played the demo on PS3 (which could still have the unfinished implementation that the 360 demo had, though i doubt it) and wasn't that impressed at all.

Mortal Kombat uses a similar technique and again i wasn't impressed there.

KillZone 3, Motorstorm, stuff i've played on PC are MUCH better. i really hope the PC is infact dual rendering... cause that's the version i'm getting.

it does A 3D effect that doesn't look nearly as good as games that render two seperate views. pseudo 3D is the best term i can think of for it, and we do need a term to seperate the two solutions since one provides much more convincing results than the other.

i'd rather play Killzone 3 or 3D rift in low resolution than Mortal Kombat or Crysis 2 at full 720p in pseudo 3D.
The low resolution looks awful in Killzone 3.

I tried 2D to 3D in Killzone 3 and it looked better than the actual 3D. Graphics and IQ took such a hard hit that it was pretty worthless.

JB1981

alr1ghtstart said:
color me impressed with those screens.

are you guys from the kz3 clan going to be getting this game on ps3? i definitely want to get the game just not sure which platform yet. leaning towards 360 but if there is a good gaf crew on ps3 i might reconsider ...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So has anyone analysed the performance of this versus the original? My PC isn't beastly but runs Crysis okay. Crysis 2 runs great for some but they have super PCs...

-viper- said:
The low resolution looks awful in Killzone 3.

I tried 2D to 3D in Killzone 3 and it looked better than the actual 3D. Graphics and IQ took such a hard hit that it was pretty worthless.
i think it's just the IQ that takes a hit... and personally i prefer it in 3D to the 2D. this is only based on the demos though, haven't played the retail, but i don't believe it's any different there.

Alextended said:
So has anyone analysed the performance of this versus the original? My PC isn't beastly but runs Crysis okay. Crysis 2 runs great for some but they have super PCs...
anything that can run Crysis okay will run Crysis 2 okay.

Massa

aegies said:
That wasn't my experience a couple of weeks ago, but I'm waiting for retail to make any final judgments. Mind, we still don't have retail on PS3.

When you do finally get the PS3 version make sure to adjust the brightness settings, it makes a pretty big difference.

aegies

Massa said:
When you do finally get the PS3 version make sure to adjust the brightness settings, it makes a pretty big difference.

PS3 games don't look "soft" on my TV. Just like 360 games don't look "crushed" on my TV. And I always adjust the brightness in game.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
For those knocking the Crytek 3D solution. Don't knock it 'till you tried it. I've got a nVidia 3d rig on a 120inch 3D projector screen. The PC multiplayer demo using this tech looked just as good as other non-pseudo implementations. It's really impressive considering the low CPU overhead.

bj00rn_

Banned
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Surely Pseudo 3D is a meaningless term, as all 3D is Pseudo 3D, as it's creating the illusion of depth.

It's not a meaningless term if you can use it to try to make someone feel inferior!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
JB1981 said:
are you guys from the kz3 clan going to be getting this game on ps3? i definitely want to get the game just not sure which platform yet. leaning towards 360 but if there is a good gaf crew on ps3 i might reconsider ...

i'll probably just rent it. Didn't really feel the MP. Next MP game will be Brink, or going back to KZ2.

AlStrong

JB1981 said:
texture filtering is better? maybe i am mistaking texture filtering with something else but the textures look more defined on 360.

Something else. For a texture at certain angles or distances, the pixel: texel ratio falls below a threshold such that the lower resolution mip map is used instead. Anisotropic filtering is meant to correct for the angle issue.

The textures not requiring AF but look sharper on 360 would just be due to less scaling.

hype inspired me to finally install Crysis Warhead, and wow is it fun. For anyone who's counting minutes, play this game. It's only $20 on Steam

I really want this game, but I can't preorder it after the fiasco I had with Homefront. I really wish they would lift these stupid review embargoes and at least let them drop Friday night.

Brannon

TUROK said:
Lol, the shift in tone in this thread is hilarious. Goes to show that it's best to reserve judgement until the retail copies are released/leaked.

Poor Crytek, everyone was jumping all over them for "false promises" and "lazy PS3 development", and yet here we are with a gorgeous game on all three platforms.

What the hell. Where is all this positive vibe coming from? I wanted hate, vitriol, desecration, and y'all bring this instead? Cease this at once; I thrive on conflict and you are RUINING it. Why are you doing this? Stop it now, no more this can't happen I WON'T LET IT LOOK AT THE JAGGIES!

...but the future refused to change...

aegies said:

i was speaking of the single player, not multi. sorry for not being specific.

Okay, after watching the ps3 and 360 footage...the game does look fucking good...cant really see any noticible difference between the two visually, but its all on youtube, but youtube quality isn't that great. Reviews have said there is a difference so I think it will come out when high quality footage arrives

valentine71 said:
No love for BC2?

o56xb5.gif

~Kinggi~

Banned
Any comparisons out yet detailing framerates between consoles? Ive seen the screens, games look basically the same. I just want to make sure those youtube videos were because of video encode issues.

Zen

Banned
Truespeed said:
Depends. One is stretched 20% and the other 10%.

I dunno, the difference seems negligible to me. Especially in the most recent direct feed shots and footage, like barely perceptible. If one was 720P and the other way sub HD, sure, but I'm just not seeing much difference between the two. To each their own I suppose.

I'm probably also just super impressed with how good the single player looks on consoles in general.

scitek

Zen said:
I dunno, the difference seems negligible to me. Especially in the most recent direct feed shots and footage, like barely perceptible. If one was 720P and the other way sub HD, sure, but I'm just not seeing much difference between the two. To each their own I suppose.

I'm probably also just super impressed with how good the single player looks on consoles in general.

I'm impressed because it looks like a pretty sizable game compared to something like CoD. The open areas have to be harder to pull off, but the graphics still wow me compared to most other console games. I think Crytek did a hell of a job with that engine of theirs, personally. Man, I can't wait for the texture mods and the like to come to the PC version.

Interiors are really bad sometimes. I mean when i started playing, i liked the visuals of open spaces but as i play more and more i notice bugs and bad textures. In one of the later levels in the game something happens (no spoiler!:) frame rate gets really fucked up. Also there are some small but noticable bugs in the game. Worst thing is enemies die into strange positions (into the walls, ridicilious body positions, etc.). And it happens a lot.

Top Bottom