• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

JoeBoy101 said:
Saw that over there a couple of days ago. Don't know if it was a change, but definitely not listed for DX11 now.

=/ I am trying to not jump to any conclusions because I KNOW that Crytek wouldn't do such a thing but at the same time =/

dejan

LovingSteam said:
=/ I am trying to not jump to any conclusions because I KNOW that Crytek wouldn't do such a thing but at the same time =/
Well you know the saying: expect the worst and ... that's it.

Regardless, the game still looks good. Not sure how much better they could get it to look with a free DX11 patch, anyway. If Crytek places a lot of effort into DX11 implementation, I wouldn't be surprised if EA ends up charging for it. It would have to make the game look more than amazing for me to drop the cash for it, though.

JoeBoy101 said:
Saw that over there a couple of days ago. Don't know if it was a change, but definitely not listed for DX11 now.

Has there been any word on DX10 support or would there not be a huge enough difference from DX9 to support it?

I've got the PC version pre-ordered since I have the rig to run it, but am still undecided on which console version. Hell, the only reason I'm even picking up the console release is to finally have Crysis on the couch.

I was slightly leaning X360 because I prefer the controller. After seeing those direct feed shots, that may have sealed the deal. I'm not saying the PS3 version is running at a lower res, but it certainly looks blurrier.

Peterthumpa

Cca9M.jpg

Is this true?

Ickman3400 said:
Then it would be the first game that uses DX11 to look a lot better than without it, instead of just marginally better for half the framerate.

And? Considering that all we have right now is DX9... and that DX11 includes DX10... then yes, it would be significant.

aegies

pixel monkey said:
I've got the PC version pre-ordered since I have the rig to run it, but am still undecided on which console version. Hell, the only reason I'm even picking up the console release is to finally have Crysis on the couch.

I was slightly leaning X360 because I prefer the controller. After seeing those direct feed shots, that may have sealed the deal. I'm not saying the PS3 version is running at a lower res, but it certainly looks blurrier.

The PC version is probably the most couch friendly PC shooter I've ever played. I can at least say that much.

Amir0x

Banned
A true shame about Crysis II. I will be picking it up once they get DX11, but it sounds roundly unappealing now so I hope some hands on impressions can at least make it sound like a compelling linear shooter :O(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
good

because ; gamer - advanced - hardcore - extreme - brutal - enthusiast, does'nt make any sense.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
-bakalhau- said:
Yes... They changed all 3 settings. It's now good, very good and extreme. It's not a new setting.

Wait, are you serious? Just a week ago I jokingly said that they should change it to good, very good and really really good. They must have read my post.

Amir0x said:
A true shame about Crysis II. I will be picking it up once they get DX11, but it sounds roundly unappealing now so I hope some hands on impressions can at least make it sound like a compelling linear shooter :O(
Uhh what? Have you been following this thread the past several pages?

JB1981

Just played this and Blops back to back and Blops is like a last gen game. This game is so much more technically advanced. Time for COD to evolve.

Heavy said:
Uhh what? Have you been following this thread the past several pages?

If the files are encrypted
If the DX11 doesn't arrive
If the editor isn't supplied

Then as good as the game may look for many of us it still doesn't justify the $60 price tag. Crytek truly has been one of the worst companies in terms of communication that I have seen in a very long time. Its absolutely ridiculous how little information they have supplied regarding the PC version. Shameful.

-bakalhau- said:
Yes... They changed all 3 settings. It's now good, very good and extreme. It's not a new setting.

I don't care if they call it shiny, sparkly, and unicorn jumping over a fucking rainbow...the game is beautiful. Take my money.

Massa

A problem with Crysis is that even if the game looked amazing at "Medium" people were still unsatisfied that it wasn't running at "max settings". This is a common problem with graphics whores and it's not surprising in the least to see Crytek use different words that do the exact same thing.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ickman3400 said:
Then it would be the first game that uses DX11 to look a lot better than without it, instead of just marginally better for half the framerate.

Dragon Age II looks a LOT better in DX11. More light sources, ground doesn't look like shit, better global lighting etc.

LovingSteam said:
If the files are encrypted
If the DX11 doesn't arrive
If the editor isn't supplied

Then as good as the game may look for many of us it still doesn't justify the $60 price tag. Crytek truly has been one of the worst companies in terms of communication that I have seen in a very long time. Its absolutely ridiculous how little information they have supplied regarding the PC version. Shameful.
As others have said, with other games DX11 offers a little improvement for a massive framerate hit. Is it really a deal breaker? As long as it arrives eventually, what does it matter?

Based off the new PC footage, even without the custom settings and even with it using DXnegative47, it's the best looking game ever made and it's out in 3 days. It's also, arguably, the best looking looking console game as well, or at least top 3. BF3 might change that but it's a long ways off.

By the way, check out Amazon to get it for $57 + a $10 gift card or Direct2drive to get it for $47 with the 20% off coupon code.

Sciz

Heavy said:
As others have said, with other games DX11 offers a little improvement for a massive framerate hit. Is it really a deal breaker? As long as it arrives eventually, what does it matter?
It is, at the very least, bizarre that Crytek of all companies is shipping a game with less graphical options and an older DX API than what World of Warcraft supports these days.

Heavy said:

Based off the new PC footage, even without the custom settings and even with it using DXnegative47, it's the best looking game ever made and it's out in 3 days. It's also, arguably, the best looking looking console game as well, or at least top 3. BF3 might change that but it's a long ways off.

By the way, check out Amazon to get it for $57 + a $10 gift card or Direct2drive to get it for $47 with the 20% off coupon code.

The problem is that atm the game is ONLY running in DX9, including the retail copy. So releasing DX11 is also bringing DX10 with it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. And that IS a big difference and significant. We don't know know WHEN they're releasing the patch if at all.

Sciz said:
It is, at the very least, bizarre that Crytek of all companies is shipping a game with less graphical options and an older DX API than what World of Warcraft supports these days.
They could ship it with DX0.003 for all I care as long as it looks like that new footage. It's the results that matter.

And if Crytek is squeezing that performance out of DX9...holy larry. Good for them.

I run DX11 titles at max and honestly, the only practical difference I see is a fucking framerate hit on most titles.

Metro 2033 would be the exception to that.

Massa said:
A problem with Crysis is that even if the game looked amazing at "Medium" people were still unsatisfied that it wasn't running at "max settings". This is a common problem with graphics whores and it's not surprising in the least to see Crytek use different words that do the exact same thing.

Yes, HOW FREAKING TERRIBLE that people want to get the best out of the hardware they've paid for. How FREAKING terrible is that. The nerve of them to not settle for the presets of what the developers deem appropriate.

pixel monkey said:
And if Crytek is squeezing that performance out of DX9...holy larry. Good for them.

I run DX11 titles at max and honestly, the only practical difference I see is a fucking framerate hit on most titles.

Again, please correct me if I am wrong but it isn't just bringing DX11 features but also DX10 since as far as I know DX10 isn't included in the retail release.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Massa said:

Even if this were true, do you think people will feel better because the settings are labeled differently? Good is still medium, and not as good as very good, so those graphic whores will still feel inadequate either way.

I don't really give a shit about labels, I would just like to be able to tweak it so I can get the best performance with the highest quality possible. My rig is good but not that good and it's likely that I'll fall somewhere between the two higher settings, making it impossible for me to find that sweet spot (like I did with Crysis 1).

Snuggler said:
Even if this were true, do you think people will feel better because the settings are labeled differently? Good is still medium, and not as good as very good, so those graphic whores will still feel inadequate either way.

I don't really give a shit about labels, I would just like to be able to tweak it so I can get the best performance with the highest quality possible. My rig is good but not that good and it's likely that I'll fall somewhere between the two higher settings, making it impossible for me to find that sweet spot (like I did with Crysis 1).

You're obviously a spoiled PC graphics whore. How dare you not be thankful to the 3 presets that Crytek has implemented. HOW DARE YOU! You should kiss the ground that Crytek walks on instead of expecting to be able to customize the visuals based on the hardware you have. Spoiled!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
pixel monkey said:

Ok, let's do it. What DX11 titles do you run?

Massa

Snuggler said:

Sure, the lack of advanced settings is bad. People should complain about it and Crytek should patch them in, for sure.

I'm just saying using new labels for "min/med/high/very_high" is not a bad idea at all, as silly as it is I've seen simple changes like that work in other types of software. I wasn't commenting on the lack of advanced settings.

Top Bottom