• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

So I've been trying to get through Cry1 on Delta and ...well I dunno. Am I the only person who doesn't think Delta is the end all be all mode?

Maybe it's because I always had more fun with the semi-arcadeysuper soldier approach with Crysis ala zipping around, leaping over buildings, neck-slamming, etc. Playing on Delta for me, brings the pace of the game to a fucking crawl. Eventually I just get bored with constantly cloaking, taking a dude out, cloaking again for a few minutes while I try to reposition, wait for recharge, cloak again, then kill another dude. Single encounters can take upwards of 20 minutes or some nonsense and I honestly always thought the cloaking aspect hurt the game more than it helped.

Veelk

Banned
Sethos said:
Oh, in every way possible besides being an, uhm, FPS? So basically, they shouldn't have made Call of Duty: World at War, Modern Warfare 2 or Black Ops because it's the same game, wonder why they sold so well ... maybe because people wanted, I don't know, more of the same but just wanted some new maps, new weapons and changed up perks? So I can't move on to a game that handles differently, has new maps, a new community, new weapons, new playlists, a decent single-player, nice graphics because I want to play without the nano-suit - An in-game item that does nothing but create variations in the multiplayer mode, doesn't change it completely.

So because I want to enjoy everything this game has to offer without being able to jump 15 ft. and soak up bullets like a battle tank and sometimes get anally molested by a guy in stealth mode with a shotgun, I should basically just stick to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME.

Why don't we all just stick to Counter-strike and when we want to jump higher? Sv_gravity 100.

No offence but holy fuck ...

First off, CoD is a series. A franchise should keep it's core mechanics because that's what made it popular in the first place. So no derp those games would be similar.

And I presumed we are talking exclusively MP gameplay mechanics. If you want to bring in everything else, like single player (which you probably aren't going to be playing without hte nanosuit) and community (which I never imagined has alot to do with the game itself. Randoms are randoms in all games while you can enjoy just about anything with a group of friends. And I don't know what you mean by playlists. Is Suitless mode going to have all different kinds of gametypes, like CTF and Territories? I assumed it would be like swat is in halo. A little extra for the CoD fanbase, but slayer is just about all you can play on it.), then yeah, I get that.

But you really ARE playing CoD. In my eyes, while I wouldn't ever think to dismiss the value of the maps and weapons, it's the mechanics that really make most games. And I'm just under the presumption that if you want to play with CoD mechanics, CoD would serve you better because the entire game is built around the mechanics you desire while Crysis is designed around the nanosuit and suitless is probably just an extra that is really not the main focus of the game.

Sethos

Banned
Generic said:
First off, CoD is a series. A franchise should keep it's core mechanics because that's what made it popular in the first place. So no derp those games would be similar.

And I presumed bla bla bla.

Honestly, I can't be arsed arguing with your narrowminded BS - You play the game how you want to, I play the game how I want to, deal? kkderp.

Now for something completely different. The Skyline OST, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if5VeVeqSSQ, isn't the part at 0:27 also heard in 24? Sounds really familiar.

LEGGZZZZ

So from judging other videos on youtube, it looks like Peir 17 and Skyline are the worst looking maps in the game. Every other map looks as impressive as campaign, so what the hell happened with those two? They still look great, but no where near as good as the other maps.

AgentOtaku said:
So I've been trying to get through Cry1 on Delta and ...well I dunno. Am I the only person who doesn't think Delta is the end all be all mode?

Maybe it's because I always had more fun with the semi-arcadeysuper soldier approach with Crysis ala zipping around, leaping over buildings, neck-slamming, etc. Playing on Delta for me, brings the pace of the game to a fucking crawl. Eventually I just get bored with constantly cloaking, taking a dude out, cloaking again for a few minutes while I try to reposition, wait for recharge, cloak again, then kill another dude. Single encounters can take upwards of 20 minutes or some nonsense and I honestly always thought the cloaking aspect hurt the game more than it helped.
You just have to not be bad. Cloak sniping is not the only way.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'd like a mode that gives unlimited power + all powers at once (maybe not cloaking) + upped enemy count and difficulty to make up for that. Super hero style. Why not? Single player without powers could be cool too, making proper stealth a necessity. But idk if the game could be balanced for that without much hassle, there are probably set pieces you'd get destroyed in without such things and fixing that may be too much trouble for a bonus/mod.

I'd like to see Crysis 3 take cues from FarCry 2 in mission structure too, not a constant and linear (if somewhat open) forward movement like any FPS but stand alone missions within a bigger world that you can accept and approach as you see fit... For those who have't played that, basically imagine something like the Just Cause 2 world with Crysis gameplay. Just Cause 2 was hella fun but I think stealth possibilities alone (and superior shooting mechanics etc) would make it last that much longer for me, it just got too repetitive after that with the everincreasing difficulty of the guards in the samey bases. Taking down a whole base unseen would be very satisfying I think... I suppose FarCry 3 could do this instead without the flaws of 2 but we don't even know if that's gonna be made, ever...

Sethos said:
Honestly, I can't be arsed arguing with your narrowminded BS - You play the game how you want to, I play the game how I want to, deal? kkderp
Stop acting like you're some sort of victim here, you came in the thread shitting on the game on the condition it didn't appeal to your very particular needs and that's all of why people argued in this manner. That's all there is to it. Hell, the quote you derped is very sensible, not condenscending like most of your posts. He's saying his opinion and makes it clear it's his opinion/curiosity at work. If you don't like discussions don't start them, especially in this hostile manner. Pay $60 to experience 20% of the game, that's your own call, but whether you play it or not doesn't make the rest of it shitty. Nobody's hating on classic mode for you to post that pic, derpbro, lol.

eso76

cgcg said:
It's not running 30fps 90% in that video. It's around 25fps and less 90% of the time. Maybe the motion blur is fooling you. I doubt it's the capturing equipment as pretty much very media released shows awful crushed black.

are you sure your pc can run 720p youtube vids smoothly ? i've switched to 240p and that's a lot more like the game actually ran.
And while the game does crush blacks a little that youtube video is absolutely not representative of what you'll see. Parts in the shadows are pitch black, and that certainly wasn't the case with the game i saw.

Veelk

Banned
Sethos said:
Honestly, I can't be arsed arguing with your narrowminded BS - You play the game how you want to, I play the game how I want to, deal? kkderp.

Now for something completely different. The Skyline OST, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if5VeVeqSSQ, isn't the part at 0:27 also heard in 24? Sounds really familiar.
*shrug* I don't see what your a hissy fit for. Play however you want, I don't care. I said as much in my second post directed towards you. The way you said you wanted to play MP, you said it as though it's the main reason you wanted to buy crysis, which is a mindset I simply never really understood because this suitless mode is probably a little bone that crytek is throwing you on the side. Their main concern, the main thing they spent months developing and testing is how the game plays with the nanosuit. It's built around that. Subtracting the major feature of that won't translate as if they had built crysis around that kind of experience. Some weapon that's fine in normal crysis may not be overpowered in suitless or a map may not work ideally because they were designed with the idea that the player has a larger health bar. Meanwhile, CoD IS built around the mechanics you describe. I'd think it's a logical assumption that it would simply be the better game at what it's trying to do because it's dedicated wholly. That's all I'm saying.

But yeah, you seem to be interpreting my comments as telling you how to ply the game somehow. Whatever, I need to sleep anyway.

syoaran

AgentOtaku said:

I saw it in the opposite light. In the other difficult modes, I had no problem just running though encounters. It was fun, but I felt that I missed the point of the game - which is you vs an army for the most part. It felt that it grounded the game in a sort of semi-reality, that the suit gave you tactical options other soldiers didn't - but in the end, you were only human.

In delta, I really did feel like I had to use the suit's full abilities to get past a level, to listen closely to where troops were with the scope, mark the troops up and then find a way past them. It was a lot of fun, the fact that unless you paid close attention, you'd walk into a patrol, alarm the entire map and change the dynamics of the entire situation.

Later on, Delta didnt feel any more difficult than the other modes - and frankly, not as fun when the island changed. But while it lasted, it was a blast. I hope its the same here in Crysis 2.

tok

Neo Member
AgentOtaku said:

That sounds like exactly how you'd handle a situation if your life was actually on the line. I'd say they got it right.

Sethos

Banned
Lulz.png

Mr_Brit

Banned
Sethos said:
You might as well just play COD then. IMO C2 multiplayer is great, it's just missing a layer of polish that would propel it to COD/Halo levels. The netcode on the other hand is hands down the worst I've seen in any game and is ruining the multiplayer, Free Radical/Crytek UK are great at fun game design but are horrid when it comes to anything graphical/tech related, I wouldn't have any qualms with naming them the most technologically incompetent company in gaming. Crytek Germany should have outsourced all the netcode/tech related stuff to another studio and left the game design to Crytek UK.

AgentOtaku said:

Yep, I tried on Delta and got fucking owned.

I'm sure some people love the satisfying way of utilising the powers perfectly, but I always loved feeling like a God in Crysis.

AgentOtaku said:

I would have played on something other than Delta, if they North Koreans would have still actually spoke Korean. Having them speak English just breaks the game so much it hurts. Sure it changes the gameplay up and I think it is much better for it.

Foliorum Viridum said:

I'm sure some people love the satisfying way of utilising the powers perfectly, but I always loved feeling like a God in Crysis.

You get owned and that's fine. I just think the encounters become pretty tedious after awhile.
Especially when on Delta, the AI gets cheap and can alot of times, see exactly where you are even though they shouldn't. Not to mention they gain uber accuracy...

Neuromancer said:
I'm a console gamer and I have certainly never said this.
it was said constantly on this board, and almost always to bolster some console exclusive. "tech demo" and "boring art" were the stock phrases of the console shill.

AgentOtaku said:

I recently tried Delta, had a lot of fun with it. I had been so burnt out on Crysis 1 (many playthroughs) when someone suggested it.....loved it. Really scratched my "rainbow six" itch for some reason.

G_Berry

Banned
universalmind said:
Yes, but I don't know if he's going to like it as much. No prone, no lean, super slow suit designed to get hit with bullets rather than evade them.

:( I'm going to miss the real Crysis gameplay.

JB1981

Those 360 mp vids look great. Looks faster and more responsive. That guy playing is also pretty nasty at the game. They also changed the cloak effect, it's bluer and has a more obvious outline. I thought this was a downgraded effect when I saw it on the ps3 version but it's not lol. Overreaction total. Game still looks to perform better on 360 though and it is easily the best looking shooter on the platform.

NotTarts said:
...in Crysis 1.
... Aww! :(

LiquidMetal14 said:
The Nano-suit voice sounds a lot more annoying in Crysis 2 than in Crysis. Like Christian Bale lent a hand.
NANOVISION ENABLED!
NANOVISION ENABLED!
NANOVISION ENABLED!
NANOVISION ENABLED!
NANOVISION ENABLED!
NANOVISION ENABLED!
NANOVISION ENABLED!
NANOVISION ENABLED!
NANOVISION ENABLED!

emot-frogout.gif

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So no more PC footage?

The consoles both look great. I can't much to the game play but the looks are good. Doesn't look amazing right now like others have claimed. I wish they put out an SP demo.

Foliorum Viridum said:

IMO it's far more satisfying when the Koreans actually pose a challenge to you, and you don't feel super awesome because you're so powerful that the game encourages sloppy play, but because you're leveraging the suit's advantages to their full potential.

To put it another way, on easy mode you play as Superman, and on delta you play as Batman. There is a certain charm to being indestructible but I personally think it's quite dull after the initial thrill.

I'm happy for Crytek. They've delivered on every platform. It's the most impressive looking console game in existence and it's their first attempt at it. Think about that -- it's really quite an achievement. Cannot fkng wait till Tuesday. I wish I could just go to sleep for the next 48 hours.

Dreadful marketing, though. Shame on EA for sullying Crytek's baby. Well no, that's not fair... Crytek had a (large) part in it as well.

[Nintex] said:
Woah the Xbox 360 version looks great what kind of voodoo magic is that.
...the glorious German variety.

Shurs

JB1981 said:
Those 360 mp vids look great. Looks faster and more responsive. That guy playing is also pretty nasty at the game. They also changed the cloak effect, it's bluer and has a more obvious outline. I thought this was a downgraded effect when I saw it on the ps3 version but it's not lol. Overreaction total. Game still looks to perform better on 360 though and it is easily the best looking shooter on the platform.

Watching gameplay videos in HD, the MP is definitely looks like a downgrade from the Single Player mode.

It still looks good, but I was hoping for more visual consistency within the game's modes.

LEGGZZZZ

Heavy said:
I'm happy for Crytek. They've delivered on every platform. It's the most impressive looking console game in existence and it's their first attempt at it. Think about that -- it's really quite an achievement. Cannot fkng wait till Tuesday. I wish I could just go to sleep for the next 48 hours.

That's the crazy part, the console graphics arena has been dominated by Sony first party, but Crytek has now released a engine that imo has the best graphics on console, and is available to other developers. Seems like the rest of the industry will finally be able to be on par or surpass Sony's studios, which is crazy considering how it's been the past few years.

I'm sure Codename Kingdom will take the graphics/tech achievement when it releases, since it will be their second game on 360.

G_Berry

Banned
LEGGZZZZ said:
That's the crazy part, the console graphics arena has been dominated by Sony first party, but Crytek has now released a engine that imo has the best graphics on console, and is available to other developers. Seems like the rest of the industry will finally be able to be on par or surpass Sony's studios, which is crazy considering how it's been the past few years.

I'm sure Codename Kingdom will take the graphics/tech achievement when it releases, since it will be their second game on 360.

LOL?

LEGGZZZZ said:

Must not quote Shurs awesome avatar.....ah fuck it.

vg63yb.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
360 players: Is the MP net code as bad as it is in the MP Demo?

LEGGZZZZ

Darkshier said:
Must not quote Shurs awesome avatar.....ah fuck it.

vg63yb.jpg

Haha well maybe not dominated, (red dead redemption comes to mind) but for the most part when talking console graphics, you hear the most about the Killzones, Uncharteds, God of Wars, etc. I'm just saying we should start to see more games on a similar level with tech like this being licensed. I'm waiting to see how Battlefield 3 will look on consoles now.

AEREC

Im really torn on which version to get...360 or PC. I should be able to run it on my PC (i7, 8GB RAM, GTX 460 1GB) but I really dont like that it uses gamespy. On the other hand I found the framerate in the 360 version to be a little uneven, but if they got it smoothed out for release...

Guess Ill just wait for reviews to see how the 360 version turns out in comparison.

G_Berry

Banned
LEGGZZZZ said:
Haha well maybe not dominated, (red dead redemption comes to mind) but for the most part when talking console graphics, you hear the most about the Killzones, Uncharteds, God of Wars, etc. I'm just saying we should start to see more games on a similar level with tech like this being licensed. I'm waiting to see how Battlefield 3 will look on consoles now.

Only because that particular "fan base" is so vocal. There is no evidence to suggest that if those games were on 360 (chances), they wouldn't look as good or better. 95% of the multi plats say they would, but alas.

Top Bottom