• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

S1kkZ

Y2Kev said:
black.gif

incredible!!! shame about the black crush though
nice framerate, very solid!

nelsonroyale said:
PS3 version does look blurry...with that clarity there is simply no way you can say it is the best looking game on the system...the 360 version being sub hd (despite still looking great) is very disappointing as well. Still hard to believe Crytek of all devs couldnt pull whats been shown in HD on consoles...initial tech demos were 720p damnit...
Isn't it like 1180x720 or something? Who cares at that point?

Heavy said:
Isn't it like 1180x720 or something? Who cares at that point?

Yeah, 360 is pretty close to be nigh on negligible (although, its disappointing given crytek's boasts)...ps3 is 1024 or something, which is crap...

Crysis 2 is the best looking console game out there, damn. Sony's 1st party ICE Engine, MLAA magic, Epic's UE3 for Gears 3... all down the shitter post Crysis 2.

And it's available on 360 too!

Crytek owned the PC high-end in 2007 now it owns the console space, incredible.

Shame about the PC port, though.

Y2Kev said:
Crysis 1 is basically good if you're creative and kinda boring if you want a cover shooter. I don't know what 2 is like, but there are tons of ways to use the suit in 1 to really give yourself a very large advantage.

You're not going to be rambo unless you really plan on how and where you will recharge, etc.

I've been playing 2 like I played 1. That means I go around shooting some 75% of the time, but when I don't feel like shooting, I turn on cloak mode for like an entire level. I think that's the beauty of Crysis. Sometimes I have a stressful time on a level and don't feel like shooting aliens anymore, so I play stealth for a while. I love being able to choose.

So far Crysis 2 provides as much options for stealth as Crysis 1 did, albeit on a slightly different way given the setting. Do you remember the gate keepers gameplay video? I played the entirety of that part stealth killing everyone. And it wasn't easy, they're smart spotting you (and I'm playing on Normal...).

Here's a small snippet of a part where most newcomers like a poster above playing on PS3 will just shoot the guys, I find it much more satisfying to let the marines have focus from the aliens, then kill both of them from behind. PC version maxed out by the way (complete with a fantastic look at how low-res the foliage is... it's pretty much the same as C1 in all honesty).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcAL806lDoo

Youtube ruins all the quality...

Gram Negative Cocci said:
? The PC port is excellent and the best looking game in existence right now (maybe until BF3 drops). A DX10.dll file is confirmed in the installation folder so as long as we can edit the config files and customize settings a bit we're good.

schennmu said:
I see what you did there.
lol!

Gram Negative Cocci said:
Crysis 2 is the best looking console game out there, damn. Sony's 1st party ICE Engine, MLAA magic, Epic's UE3 for Gears 3... all down the shitter post Crysis 2.

And it's available on 360 too!

Crytek owned the PC high-end in 2007 now it owns the console space, incredible.

lets'all play it first before we base ALL judgement on youtube videos and animated gifs

I'm assuming the soldiers just standing around in that one gif are on your side? Because if those are enemies LOL

EDIT: ok good D: I was gonna say!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Heavy said:
? The PC port is excellent and the best looking game in existence right now (maybe until BF3 drops). A DX10.dll file is confirmed in the installation folder so as long as we can edit the config files and customize settings a bit we're good.

lol!
This. I'm not even going to play the game until Xigmatek puts his touch on it.

raphier

Banned
Well PC version, it was nice knowing, but I believe consoles now carry the onus with this game. A 262$ machine able to do what a 600-700$ machine may. I applaud Crytek.

kitch9

Banned
raphier said:
Well PC version, it was nice knowing, but I believe consoles now carry the onus with this game. A 262$ machine able to do what a 600-700$ machine may. I applaud Crytek.

All at a resolution less than most decade old pcs run at too!

Astounding!

[Nintex]

raphier said:
What the hell

Why is this thread cursed

why?

Mr_Brit

Banned
raphier said:
Please don't start this.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
NotTarts said:
Yeah, getting hyped over YouTube videos isn't the best idea :lol

I dont know if the difference between the 360 demo and the retail product will be THAT big but I thought the mp demo looked atrocious.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
And here we go again. It looks like everyone is going to be able to have a good experience, technically and gameplay wise, with this game regardless of platform. For that, we should all be thankful.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I feel like we never really got confirmation if Hans Zimmer did the score or not. You would think that would be an advertisement bullet-point somewhere.

TUROK

~Kinggi~ said:
I feel like we never really got confirmation if Hans Zimmer did the score or not. You would think that would be an advertisement bullet-point somewhere.
He did the main theme. Lorne Balfe did the rest of the score.

Same thing with Modern Warfare 2, actually. Hans Zimmer only did the main them for it too, and then Lorne Balfe did the rest of it.

Zeal

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
the main theme definitely sounds like his work. has variations of it all throughout the game, which is also his style.

anyway, i'm grabbing the ps3 version just to be different.

Waaghals

~Kinggi~ said:

Watched the intro on youtube. Hans Zimmer made the main theme of the game, but not all of the music.

nib95

Banned
shinobi602 said:
For what it's worth, it's downright incredible a game can look this amazing on 6-7 year old tech...

Agreed, it's a serious achievement. I'm just annoyed a game that's 4 years old (Crysis) looks better than a game that's new. Something not quite right about that...

strata8

Corky said:
I dont know if the difference between the 360 demo and the retail product will be THAT big but I thought the mp demo looked atrocious.
Base code for the 360 MP demo was from October last year, AFAIK. Huge difference in IQ:

MP demo:
Lighting_000.bmp.jpg

SP retail:
Crysis2360-3.jpg

Phloxy

After playing it at the local mom and pop shop for a long while. 360 and PS3 version btw. The game works best when you are doing stealth and playing that way. Soon as you get caught which still happens with enemies seeing you through walls etc, the game gets incredibly choppy when there's any kind of decent sized firefight unfortunately.

Bunch of weird issues with this game. For instance, when you go to perform a stealth takedown, outside the first couple levels where they are holding your hand, crouching and slowly advancing almost never works ever. Plenty of times where I'm creeping up on a guy cloaked, crouching nice and slow and then he just turns around and starts firing. Best thing to do is just walk right up to them and stealth kill them. The other big issue with the game is enemy inconsistency. Half the time, enemies are finite, as in, even with the backup coming from alarms you can kill everybody and move on. Some stages though, enemies will spawn non-stop until you move to a certain point. Worst part is it never makes sense as to why some places are like that or not.

I really dig the game, has cool set pieces and amazing music, but the wonky stealth mixed with tons of enemies coming in which in turn destroy the frame-rate take me out of the game big time. Sorry for any typos typing this from a phone.

TUROK

nib95 said:
Agreed, it's a serious achievement. I'm just annoyed a game that's 4 years old (Crysis) looks better than a game that's new. Something not quite right about that...
But it doesn't. Crysis 1 with no CFG tweaks and mods does not look as good as vanilla Crysis 2, in DX9, no less.

Xater

Phloxy said:
After playing it at the local mom and pop shop for a long while. 360 and PS3 version btw. The game works best when you are doing stealth and playing that way. Soon as you get caught which still happens with enemies seeing you through walls etc, the game gets incredibly choppy when there's any kind of decent sized firefight unfortunately.

Bunch of weird issues with this game. For instance, when you go to perform a stealth takedown, outside the first couple levels where they are holding your hand, crouching and slowly advancing almost never works ever. Plenty of times where I'm creeping up on a guy cloaked, crouching nice and slow and then he just turns around and starts firing. Best thing to do is just walk right up to them and stealth kill them. The other big issue with the game is enemy inconsistency. Half the time, enemies are finite, as in, even with the backup coming from alarms you can kill everybody and move on. Some stages though, enemies will spawn non-stop until you move to a certain point. Worst part is it never makes sense as to why some places are like that or not.

I really dig the game, has cool set pieces and amazing music, but the wonky stealth mixed with tons of enemies coming in which in turn destroy the frame-rate take me out of the game big time. Sorry for any typos typing this from a phone.

The game got choppy on both consoles in those bigger firefights? Ewwwww...

Top Bottom