• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Norml

NotTarts said:
Base code for the 360 MP demo was from October last year, AFAIK. Huge difference in IQ:

MP demo:
http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/2/4/5/7/7/Lighting_000.bmp.jpg[/IMG

SP retail:
[IMG]http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa475/NIGHTMAR3xGTx/Games/Crysis2360-3.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
Looks about the same. The MP shot just has that massive bloom going on that makes it look lesser.

nib95

Banned
TUROK said:
But it doesn't. Crysis 1 with no CFG tweaks and mods does not look as good as vanilla Crysis 2, in DX9, no less.

Maybe it's the setting then, but honestly, some of the Crysis 2 PC shots have been underwhelming. Some of the cirty distance stuff looks no better than Madia II at times, and Mafia II is a completely open world game.

sleepykyo

Phloxy said:
After playing it at the local mom and pop shop for a long while. 360 and PS3 version btw. The game works best when you are doing stealth and playing that way. Soon as you get caught which still happens with enemies seeing you through walls etc, the game gets incredibly choppy when there's any kind of decent sized firefight unfortunately.

Any performance customization options on the PS3 version? eg. Tekken 6 allowed you to turn off motion blur on which lead to better texture filtering on the PS3 or a jump in resolution on the 360.

I did some research on DX11, now I know what Tessellation is. There was something that I found more interesting then that, DX11 and multi-core feature making it possible to access all cores(multi-threading), before the limit was two. Which means you better have a great cpu cooler, if you plan on using DX11 if and when the patch releases. I think this is where the physics from the tech demos come in, which should most definitely set PC version apart from consoles, not to mention the higher resolution textures.

Phloxy

Didn't notice any ps3 customization stuff but I didn't look much. And yes some areas do run real smooth, but there are a ton of areas where if you get seen and the enemies swarm the frame rate crashes really hard. I'm not even a big frame rate guy but, it was noticed by everybody there watching.

nib95 said:
Maybe it's the setting then, but honestly, some of the Crysis 2 PC shots have been underwhelming. Some of the cirty distance stuff looks no better than Madia II at times, and Mafia II is a completely open world game.

Technically though its apples and oranges.

iam220

Well looks like C2 is going to surpass the first one graphically as I predicted /smug

Really looking forward to seeing the screen shots with custom configs. They're going to be sweeeet.

sleepykyo said:
Any performance customization options on the PS3 version? eg. Tekken 6 allowed you to turn off motion blur on which lead to better texture filtering on the PS3 or a jump in resolution on the 360.

Customization options? Why? so you can spend hours tweaking? I rather just put in the disk and play.

kidding

Phloxy said:
Didn't notice any ps3 customization stuff but I didn't look much. And yes some areas do run real smooth, but there are a ton of areas where if you get seen and the enemies swarm the frame rate crashes really hard. I'm not even a big frame rate guy but, it was noticed by everybody there watching.

This may come off as a really assholish thing to say but; Good! I'm glad the frame rates drop hard on the consoles. The lower they set the minimal acceptable frame rates on consoles than then less compromises have to be made with the PC version.

TUROK said:
But it doesn't. Crysis 1 with no CFG tweaks and mods does not look as good as vanilla Crysis 2, in DX9, no less.
Right because all those extra visual effects can be done in DX9 but in Crysis they are locked to DX10 unless you do tweak the config. So I don't get your point here.

KKRT00

Lostconfused said:
Right because all those extra visual effects can be done in DX9 but in Crysis they are locked to DX10 unless you do tweak the config. So I don't get your point here.
The point is that Crysis 2 do look better than vanilla Crysis 1. Everyone who thinks otherwise just didnt played both games.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Lostconfused said:
Vanilla Crysis in DX10 mode was all kinds busted performance-wise and modded Cry1 vs vanilla Cry2 is not an apples to apples comparison.

No_Style

Phloxy said:
After playing it at the local mom and pop shop for a long while. 360 and PS3 version btw. The game works best when you are doing stealth and playing that way. Soon as you get caught which still happens with enemies seeing you through walls etc, the game gets incredibly choppy when there's any kind of decent sized firefight unfortunately.

Bunch of weird issues with this game. For instance, when you go to perform a stealth takedown, outside the first couple levels where they are holding your hand, crouching and slowly advancing almost never works ever. Plenty of times where I'm creeping up on a guy cloaked, crouching nice and slow and then he just turns around and starts firing. Best thing to do is just walk right up to them and stealth kill them. The other big issue with the game is enemy inconsistency. Half the time, enemies are finite, as in, even with the backup coming from alarms you can kill everybody and move on. Some stages though, enemies will spawn non-stop until you move to a certain point. Worst part is it never makes sense as to why some places are like that or not.

I really dig the game, has cool set pieces and amazing music, but the wonky stealth mixed with tons of enemies coming in which in turn destroy the frame-rate take me out of the game big time. Sorry for any typos typing this from a phone.

Thanks for the impressions. The bolded part irks me :(

SapientWolf said:
Vanilla Crysis in DX10 mode was all kinds busted performance-wise and modded Cry1 vs vanilla Cry2 is not an apples to apples comparison.
Ah ok, so its not about making a comparison but rather its about meeting some arbitrary criteria. Got it.

iam220

SapientWolf said:

We'll have to wait until a modded vs modded comparison. Although if CryEngine3 is basically like the first one but with added effects and optimization than I don't see how it can possibly be worse.

cgcg

Phloxy said:

Both versions or was this the PS3 version?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Lostconfused said:
Ah ok, so its not about making a comparison but rather its about meeting some arbitrary criteria. Got it.
It's about the importance of DX10 being vastly overblown and the importance of the post release mods being underestimated.

SapientWolf said:
It's about the importance of DX10 being vastly overblown and the importance of the post release mods being underestimated.
So because it was buggy and poorly used in Crysis 1 makes it overblown and unimportant now?

Edit: I think most of the complaints around DX10/11 is that for one there are performance advantages over DX9. Not to mention that they can further push the visual quality of the game if they use DX11.

belier

People is complaining about IA bugged:

- Soldiers doing nothing when you are shooting them
- Soldiers running against walls or against another soldier
- Soldiers throwing nades to themselves

Can someone confirm this?

Jeseus

belier said:

YEP ... the AI has IQ of hamster if you play in stealth mode. "ummm what was that" "ummm huh ummm" "nothing" "oh shit man dawn i need back up" "sniper" "ummm nohing"

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Lostconfused said:
So because it was buggy and poorly used in Crysis 1 makes it overblown and unimportant now?

Edit: I think most of the complaints around DX10/11 is that for one there are performance advantages over DX9. Not to mention that they can further push the visual quality of the game if they use DX11.
I think they would have to drop the DX9 render path and start from scratch to make that happen, like JC2. Otherwise, you typically end up taking a huge fps hit for a relatively small increase in IQ.

eso76

no problem with stealth, it's just that enemies will still detect you if they are very close, even if you're cloaked. you didnt really expect you'd turn completely invisible when cloaked right? because that would be a huge gameplay mistake.

as for ai, yes enemies sometimes run into walls and they are not really good at avoiding their own grenades, but i was also surprised at their ability to navigate environments. some aliens especially will jump all over the place, try to flank you and take cover behind everything they can find around.

my friend mentioned he did encounter several bugs and glitche

SapientWolf said:
I think they would have to drop the DX9 render path and start from scratch to make that happen, like JC2. Otherwise, you typically end up taking a huge fps hit for a relatively small increase in IQ.
Which brings up the. DX9 cards can't even run this game anymore. The minimum requirements state that you need a DX10 card.

Jeseus

Neuromancer said:
Yeah me too. Unlimited spawning enemies, what? This isn't COD. =(
Never happend to me. Ive killed all enemy in each level. You must kill enemy in stealth mode if not they will call for backup with jeeps and in one jeep are four enemy.

Nizz

Always-honest said:
jesus christ, this thread is failure upon failure.
Lol, my head's spinning. :)

"The game doesn't look all that" "Holy shit! Best looking game ever".
"The framerate's really smooth" "Damn, the frame rate goes to shit"

I do appreciate people's impressions here. I'm also keeping tabs on certain sites after Tuesday when the game releases. To me, some site's credibility will be smashed in my eyes. So many differing impressions on the same game.

TUROK said:

Where is the footage of Crysis 2 that looks better than Crysis/Warhead jungle/ice?

Mithos

Gold Member
Lostconfused said:
Which brings up the. DX9 cards can't even run this game anymore. The minimum requirements state that you need a DX10 card.

Maybe its time to DUMP the term "pc-game" and start calling them DX9-game, DX10-game, DX11-game?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
belier said:

That's no different than Crysis. The AI was never a highlight. You either have super AI, or AI that is dumb as rocks.

nib95

Banned
schennmu said:
Where is the footage of Crysis 2 that looks better than Crysis/Warhead jungle/ice?

I'd like to see it too. Just because Crysis 2 has more technical jargon, doesn't mean it looks better. Though I'd be happy to eat my words when I get the game soon.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
To anyone waiting for impressions on the PS3 version I think I'm going to go ahead and pick it up Tuesday since I have a few gift cards lying around. I'll be sure to post some detailed impressions here if people are still looking for them.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
purple cobra said:
Lol, my head's spinning. :)

"The game doesn't look all that" "Holy shit! Best looking game ever".
"The framerate's really smooth" "Damn, the frame rate goes to shit"

I do appreciate people's impressions here. I'm also keeping tabs on certain sites after Tuesday when the game releases. To me, some site's credibility will be smashed in my eyes. So many differing impressions on the same game.
Well, here's why:
-very few people have it
-some people are relaying second-hand impressions
-some people are judging based on youtube videos
-some people are judging based on gifs
-some people are negative nancies
-some people are console warriors

mix it all into a pot and you get a concern trolling festival where its open season on common sense.

me, I just played Assault and Onslaught and Awakening in Crysis 1 :)

shintoki said:
That's no different than Crysis. The AI was never a highlight. You either have super AI, or AI that is dumb as rocks.

The AI in crysis 1 is pretty great. The korean forces really hunt you sometimes...

Jeseus said:
Never happend to me. Ive killed all enemy in each level. You must kill enemy in stealth mode if not they will call for backup with jeeps and in one jeep are four enemy.
Ah thanks, that's great to hear.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ickman3400 said:
Pretty much every recent video shown. Crysis 1 without anything added is not a big deal anymore.

not to offend anyone agrees with you. But crysis 1 vanilla everything max MSAA, AF, 1080p isn ANYTHING but " not a big deal anymore "

Varth

belier said:

Yep. It was so huge that it looked clearly like a bug more than bad IA. Enemies would litteraly stop in their tracks looking at the wall once in a while.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ickman3400 said:
Pretty much every recent video shown. Crysis 1 without anything added is not a big deal anymore.
What looks like Crysis 1 vanilla bar Metro (for indoor environments) and maybe Shattered Horizons?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Y2Kev said:
mix it all into a pot and you get a concern trolling festival where its open season on common sense.

me, I just played Assault and Onslaught and Awakening in Crysis 1 :)

The AI in crysis 1 is pretty great. The korean forces really hunt you sometimes...
The AI tracks you and keep shooting and investigates noises and your last known position. They fan out and search.

With low energy from cloak, having 6 koreans fan out to find you while you go prone on a high rock is tense.

Crysis 2 all the AI seems mostly braindead from the footage I have seen. Certainly hope it is at least on part with Crysis 1.

Corky said:
not to offend anyone agrees with you. But crysis 1 vanilla everything max MSAA, AF, 1080p isn ANYTHING but " not a big deal anymore "

It may be a big deal that it's still hard to max out at a stable framerate but it doesn't really look all that amazing. I just played it less than a month ago, really not that big of a deal.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Ickman3400 said:
It may be a big deal that it's still hard to max out at a stable framerate but it doesn't really look all that amazing. I just played it less than a month ago, really not that big of a deal.

You sound like you're trying to convince yourself this is true.

Peterthumpa

Ickman3400 said:
Really? Which game looks better than Crysis 1 maxed that isn't out yet?

Top Bottom