• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

I NEED SCISSORS said:
The Witcher 2 - large open world, better textures, fraction of the budget
Battlefield 3 - fully destructible, better lighting, not blurry
Metro 2033 - on max high settings it looks better

And I don't know why modded Crysis is not allowed - if one guy re-writing the shaders himself and adding a bunch of shit can topple Crytek's house of cards, that's pretty sad.

Witcher 2 is not open world /nitpick.

Massa said:
Two unreleased games and one that looks like crap.
If you just called Metro crap then you have no right to EVER comment on graphics ever again.

pccelebration02g67o.jpg

pccelebration04hn9c.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
We need that laughing smiley back just for the purpose of this thread.

Metro looks like crap... I've heard it all now. Is this the same person that recommends playing Risen on consoles rather than the PC?

GHG said:
We need that laughing smiley back just for the purpose of this thread.

Metro looks like crap... I've heard it all now. Is this the same person that recommends playing Risen on consoles rather than the PC?

If he did then he'd already have a job at Game Informer by now.

RedSwirl

plagiarize said:
i see a lot of this type of stuff ^

i just wish people would be consistant with their standards. yes, Crysis raised the bar graphically significantly, and little since it has hit that water mark, and yes, it wasn't stupid to presume that Crysis 2 would do the same and have every effect DX11 was capable of...

but not shipping with DX11 just makes Crysis 2 the same as almost every other PC game on the market. if Crysis 2 is atrocious for patching in DX11 later, then so is every game that doesn't have DX11 at launch.

no, you weren't stupid to expect Crysis 2 to have DX11, and you aren't stupid to be upset that it doesn't have it at launch, but if you really think it is 'inexcusable' then you're a moron. i'm sorry.

because Crytek once gave us the most high end PC game ever, that doesn't mean it is any more of a sin for them to ship without DX11 than it is for anyone else.

The point being made is that just like Modern Warfare 2, the game, feature-for-feature, looks to be inferior to its predecessor, but will cost more at launch. That's not an investment I want to make.

RedSwirl said:
The point being made is that just like Modern Warfare 2, the game, feature-for-feature, looks to be inferior to its predecessor, but will cost more at launch. That's not an investment I want to make.
that's fair enough if the following caveat is true:

that since buying Crysis you have never spent more on any game that looked inferior to it feature for feature.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26022688&postcount=16315

hmmmn.

Izayoi

Banned
Ricker said:
Awesome,now that I have a gaming PC,i`ll go this way...
You don't exactly need a gaming PC to run this game.

bj00rn_ said:
Shit this fuck. This is not "[OT]".
Sure it is.

felipepl said:
There you go. Name me a PC game that looks better than this.
Please, no modded-to-the-hell Crysis 1 and beautiful beaches please, we're talking graphically, not aesthetically speaking.
Graphics as in a technical sense? This is far behind some of the current and upcoming powerhouses on the PC.

dejan said:
They most probably just forgot to list DX11 support, right guys?
:(

Massa said:
Two unreleased games and one that looks like crap.
So is going blind a new trend on GAF or something? How do I sign up?

---

In any case, I approve of these OTs. They're a hoot and definitely a nice breath of fresh air compared to the usual "OH MY GOD CUM DOWN MY THROAT PLEASE THAT'S HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS GAME EVEN THOUGH I HAVEN'T PLAYED IT YET" shit that usually plagues OT OPs.

mjc

Sure are alot of people I'm here slamming traditional OTs. There are specific examples of hammy OTs like the MGS4 one, but most that I've visited or posted in have been pretty great. All they do is explain game features (especially welcome for RPGs) and share some media. I've seen lots that do this without coming across as regurgitated PR. I'm not saying that this OT needs to be modified, but don't slam other people's hard work just to prove a tailored point like this.

Sorry, had to get that out of my system after reading this thread.

aeolist

Banned
It's not even the graphics, though it does look worse than Crysis 1 and Metro. It's that the first game was a success because they catered to the PC audience and community. They made the game easy to tweak and mod and supported all the latest tech.

Now all of that is regressing and the game is $10 more.

Also it being EA who knows what kind of DRM it'll have. Crysis 1 and Warhead were annoying enough with that.

If this is allowed to stand as an OT, I foresee a future where haters race to post an negative OT before a neutral or positive one goes up.

Personally, I don't care. Might be entertaining.

Izayoi

Banned
mjc said:
Sure are alot of people I'm here slamming traditional OTs. There are specific examples of hammy OTs like the MGS4 one, but most that I've visited or posted in have been pretty great. All they do is explain game features (especially welcome for RPGs) and share some media. I've seen lots that do this without coming across as regurgitated PR. I'm not saying that this OT needs to be modified, but don't slam other people's hard work just to prove a tailored point like this.

Sorry, had to get that out of my system after reading this thread.
There are exceptions obviously but you can't deny that recently OTs have started sounding more and more like a marketing pitch. It's fine to give information about the game, post screenshots and list features, but when you start posting reviews and stuff where do you draw the line?

The Nature Roy said:
If this is allowed to stand as an OT, I foresee a future where haters race to post an negative OT before a neutral or positive one goes up.

It's only ok if the game pisses the master race off in some way.

so yes, every game ever

Timeline:
  • 2011: Crytek releases Crysis 2 on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 gaming platforms. No DX11 support at launch.
  • 2012: Kim Jong-il passes away, he is succeeded by his son Kim Jong-un. The NeoGaf '2012 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread' is a ghost town.
  • 2013: Kim Jong-un is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize and featured on the cover of Time Magazine for his accomplishment of Korean reunification.
  • 2014: American military withdraws from the Korean Peninsula. General Motors declares bankruptcy for the second time.
  • 2015: The effects of peak oil are felt as gas prices reach up to 20 dollars a gallon due to a war between Iran and Saudi Arabia. Russia cuts off all oil trade with Europe. China's influences diminish.
  • 2016: America withdraws its military from Japan and other countries overseas, focusing on its instability back home. PC Gamers nationwide are forced to barter their rigs for canned goods.
  • 2017: Martial law is declared in the United States as its infrastructure crumbles due to lack of taxation. A 2023 viral campaign release date is rumored to be revealed next year.
  • 2018: Japan surrenders to the Greater Korean Republic and is capitalized into a vassal state.
  • 2019: The UN is dissolved.
  • 2020: Canada closes its borders to Americans.
  • 2021: Korean forces succeed in annexing many countries in East Asia. A new pandemic known as the Knoxville Cough begins to spread in the United States.
  • 2022: Mexico closes its borders to Americans.
  • 2023: The Knoxville Cough ravages the American public. The Korean People's Army reaches 20 million total personnel, DLC is announced.
  • 2024: The Greater Korean Republic starts launching their own satellites, claiming to bring a message of peace to the world.
  • 2025: The Gamestop Exclusive Pre-Order EMP Burst is emitted by a Korean satellite, it completely destabilizes the United States infrastructure. Korean paratroopers are dropped into central United States.
  • 2026: The United States is split into two as Korean occupiers irradiate the entire Mississippi River and occupy the Western side.
  • 2027: The United States Armed Forces are completely scattered.

The Nature Roy said:

Only one way to solve this: fan-wank OTs and bitter tears OTs. Twice as nice.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Attack You said:
Only one way to solve this: fan-wank OTs and bitter tears OTs. Twice as nice.

OT's should be a joint project, a point-counter point if you will, where a harsh critic makes one part and the volunteer shill makes the other

they argue, you decide

Snuggler said:
OT's should be a joint project, a point-counter point if you will, where a harsh critic makes one part and the a volunteer shill makes the other

they argue, you decide
i'd love a 'just the facts' npov approach personally and i think MOST OTs fit that bill.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Such whiners. Never got to play the first Crysis and I loved the 360 demo for this. Deal with it.

Mithos

Gold Member
Maybe people just should play the game and have fun, who cares if the game runs at 60 fps or 58fps, 30fps or 27fps, if the game run 1080p or 720p or any other resolution.

The game looks great on the videos I've seen so far, since the freaking demo refused to work. My i7 930 2,8 Ghz, 6gb ram, and Ati 5770 I picked up last year is what I'll be using now and 4-5 years ahead if I wanna play PC games.

If you can't play the game just because it doesn't require a 4ghz cpu, 24gb ram and 3x ati/nvidia cards in sli/crossfire, that just tell more about your shallowness then the actual game, maybe its time to bail out from gaming, since you seem to care more about pushing a few extra fps and more pixels then actually play and enjoy the game.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Mithos said:
Maybe people just should play the game and have fun, who cares if the game runs at 60 fps or 58fps, 30fps or 27fps, if the game run 1080p or 720p or any other resolution.

The game looks great on the videos I've seen so far, since the freaking demo refused to work. My i7 930 2,8 Ghz, 6gb ram, and Ati 5770 I picked up last year is what I'll be using now and 4-5 years ahead if I wanna play PC games.

If you can't play the game just because it doesn't require a 4ghz cpu, 24gb ram and 3x ati/nvidia cards in sli/crossfire, that just tell more about your shallowness then the actual game, maybe its time to bail out from gaming, since you seem to care more about pushing a few extra fps and more pixels then actually play and enjoy the game.

FPS and Resolution are vital in a FPS game. The physics, sense of speed, and recoil are tied and the more the better which means a lot in multiplayer. People also like seeing performance they paid for.

CozMick

Banned
Pre-ordered the Limited Edition earlier, does anyone have any idea what the Threat Awareness Armour Module is that is included?

Waaghals

I think we have lost perspective here.

Crysis2's lack of DX11 support, the lack of proper mouse controls, the console interface and so on is very disappointing, I agree.

But those screens that were just posted are not bad looking. They are good looking.
No, it is not as big of a jump as Crysis1 and some may take issue with the AA solution, but let's be honest here guys; If this game is bad looking then there are very few great looking games in the world.

In addition it seems that the game allows the player to chose different paths and tactics in each area. Even if it is to a lesser degree than crysis1 it is still a hell of a lot better than most other FPS'.

The outrage was fun when we were all truly disappointed a couple of weeks ago, but now it has all gone overboard.

RedSwirl

plagiarize said:
that's fair enough if the following caveat is true:

that since buying Crysis you have never spent more on any game that looked inferior to it feature for feature.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26022688&postcount=16315

hmmmn.

Franchise-for-franchise dude. Just because I paid $50 for Crysis doesn't mean I expect every $50 PC game from that point onward to look as good as Crysis, but I do expect Crysis 2 to live up to its predecessor.

...and I didn't buy Black Ops at full price.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Offtopic: I made the BFBC2 and KOFXII official threads im a shill?
Im making the KOFXIII OT too.

Ontopic: PC Gamers get the Sandbox editor which gives you maximum awesomeness.

Izayoi said:
There are exceptions obviously but you can't deny that recently OTs have started sounding more and more like a marketing pitch. It's fine to give information about the game, post screenshots and list features, but when you start posting reviews and stuff where do you draw the line?
Who cares as long as both positive and negative reviews are posted?

Snuggler said:
OT's should be a joint project, a point-counter point if you will, where a harsh critic makes one part and the volunteer shill makes the other

they argue, you decide
Great idea :lol

Izayoi

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Who cares as long as both positive and negative reviews are posted?
That's the thing. A lot of times I see OTs who "forget" to put up the reviews that weren't completely glowing.

THRILLH0

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Pics posted on previous page are horrendous.

They are laughed-at-in-the-2011-High-Res-PC-Screenshot-Thread bad.

Oh piss off. They might not be as impressive as expected from a Crysis sequel but this is pure hyperbole.

Exuro

Ickman3400 said:
Witcher 2 is not open world /nitpick.
I think he's referring to there being no loading screens between areas, not the elder scrolls style of open world. The game supposedly only has 3 or 4 times/areas where there are loading screens, otherwise it's "open world".

mxgt

Banned
Mithos said:

I do. And so do a lot of people.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Does the OT really need to have a "PC version is like the console version" gag in it?

And on top of that, this feels to me like one of the worst OT's in a while. Especially for a big, anticipated game. As someone who's looking forward to this game a lot, it just makes me feel like I should avoid this thread to not have to deal with all the elitism.

This is a new IP for many console users, so a more fleshed out OT could really help get the word out (positive and negative) on this game.

Waaghals said:
I think we have lost perspective here.

Crysis2's lack of DX11 support, the lack of proper mouse controls, the console interface and so on is very disappointing, I agree.

But those screens that were just posted are not bad looking. They are good looking.No, it is not as big of a jump as Crysis1 and some may take issue with the AA solution, but let's be honest here guys; If this game is bad looking then there are very few great looking games in the world.

In addition it seems that the game allows the player to chose different paths and tactics in each area. Even if it is to a lesser degree than crysis1 it is still a hell of a lot better than most other FPS'.

The outrage was fun when we were all truly disappointed a couple of weeks ago, but now it has all gone overboard.

I agree with you for the most part. The thing is that this game looks like KZ3 (which is a good looking game, honestly) on PC with exagerated lighting and blurriness.

That isn't bad at all, because it's still one pretty game graphically wise. The thing that gets me, and I guess that bother most of us, is that it hasn't live to the expectations most of us had (the ones that LOVED the original).

I mean, it hasn't reach Crysis one level of accomplishments for what has been shown (and if the MP is something to go by, it's not going to) and that's what hurts me the most. That they had ALL THIS TIME to develop a game to surpass or at least reach everything that made the first one great and they didn't care and took the middle road between Crysis and CoD. It's still going to be fun, that I don't deny, but it ain't going to be nowhere near Crysis 1 (again, because videos prove that it's not the same gameplay foundation as the first one, but instead a good mix between Halo and CoD which isn't a bad thing but isn't Crysis at the end).

If this game wasn't called Crysis then it would be more appreciated than the appreciation it has right now.

BTW.. I haven't seen any destructible environments at all and there was this VIDEO proving they implemented it... WTH happened Crytek!

I just have to stop by and LOL at all these people who have never SEEN IN REALITY what a true pc only game looks like completely maximized(pun intended) in their own rooms in right in front of them.

Maybe, just maybe if they did, they would stop talking out of their asses and dissing on pc, piracy, and everything else.

What are you using right now to type this, a pc, what do devs use to MAKE CONSOLE GAMES, a pc.

Wake up :)

Izayoi

Banned
Well I do think that dissing on piracy is probably something that should be considered a good thing. Wake up might be a little too strong of a phrase. Actually, your entire post comes across as a little inflammatory and confrontational.

I do think that console-only gamers are missing out on something by not having a gaming capable PC, but in some cases they might not have a choice in the matter, and I definitely don't think that attacking them is the right way to go about convincing them to try it out.

No not really, your seeing the negative thats all. No harm intended.

What I mean about piracy is how people tie pc gaming with piracy, not that I endorse it.

Mithos

Gold Member
mxgt said:
I do. And so do a lot of people.

Becomes so much more fun playing when you don't, I'm not talking about 60fps that drops down to 30fps bad, but the INSANE idea that 60-55fps fluctuation is so bad people will cancel or not buy a game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Fersis said:
Offtopic: I made the BFBC2 and KOFXII official threads im a shill?
Im making the KOFXIII OT too.

Ontopic: PC Gamers get the Sandbox editor which gives you maximum awesomeness.
You have to consider us - the gamers - who bought Crysis 1 and made it even better via mods. I've bought it twice myself. I'm not with the crowd that believes good OT's are shill fests but the cases of games like DA2 and Crysis 2 are prime examples of PC gamers being treated like second rate citizens. It's not arrogance to say that you have the better HW and expect the current standard of features to be present. It's also not arrogant to demand basic features/settings in the followup to the powerhouse Crysis. So we've sloped down on the PC side and are on more even grounds with 5+ year old HW and reap little of the benefits we are used to on PC. There are plenty of DL and retail/DD games which have a courteous offering of visual settings. Crysis went from letting you tweak to making you conform.

Top Bottom