• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

arena08

LiquidMetal14 said:
You have to consider us - the gamers - who bought Crysis 1 and made it even better via mods. I've bought it twice myself. I'm not with the crowd that believes good OT's are shill fests but the cases of games like DA2 and Crysis 2 are prime examples of PC gamers being treated like second rate citizens. It's not arrogance to say that you have the better HW and expect the current standard of features to be present. It's also not arrogant to demand basic features/settings in the followup to the powerhouse Crysis. So we've sloped down on the PC side and are on more even grounds with 5+ year old HW and reap little of the benefits we are used to on PC. There are plenty of DL and retail/DD games which have a courteous offering of visual settings. Crysis went from letting you tweak to making you conform.

Crytek don't owe you a personal benchmark tool.

Spookie

arena08 said:

I don't think people want a personal benchmarking tool. I'd just like to change the FoV so I don't get motion sickness and turn off the AA which makes everything look like smeared shit on the PC.

It's little basic things you'd expect to come with any PC game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
arena08 said:
Skimming through my text, I never demanded one. But that would be nice though. And since you brought up benchmarks, this is something lesser tech oriented studios have been gracious enough to do for the PC crowd so we can gauge how the HW can handle the SW. I don't think it's asking a lot for a CryEngine3 benchmark app, sure. Not complaining about it or making it the crutch of my opinions though.

blazinglazers said:
Timeline:
  • 2011: Crytek releases Crysis 2 on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 gaming platforms. No DX11 support at launch.
  • 2012: Kim Jong-il passes away, he is succeeded by his son Kim Jong-un. The NeoGaf '2012 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread' is a ghost town.
  • 2013: Kim Jong-un is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize and featured on the cover of Time Magazine for his accomplishment of Korean reunification.
  • 2014: American military withdraws from the Korean Peninsula. General Motors declares bankruptcy for the second time.
  • 2015: The effects of peak oil are felt as gas prices reach up to 20 dollars a gallon due to a war between Iran and Saudi Arabia. Russia cuts off all oil trade with Europe. China's influences diminish.
  • 2016: America withdraws its military from Japan and other countries overseas, focusing on its instability back home. PC Gamers nationwide are forced to barter their rigs for canned goods.
  • 2017: Martial law is declared in the United States as its infrastructure crumbles due to lack of taxation. A 2023 viral campaign release date is rumored to be revealed next year.
  • 2018: Japan surrenders to the Greater Korean Republic and is capitalized into a vassal state.
  • 2019: The UN is dissolved.
  • 2020: Canada closes its borders to Americans.
  • 2021: Korean forces succeed in annexing many countries in East Asia. A new pandemic known as the Knoxville Cough begins to spread in the United States.
  • 2022: Mexico closes its borders to Americans.
  • 2023: The Knoxville Cough ravages the American public. The Korean People's Army reaches 20 million total personnel, DLC is announced.
  • 2024: The Greater Korean Republic starts launching their own satellites, claiming to bring a message of peace to the world.
  • 2025: The Gamestop Exclusive Pre-Order EMP Burst is emitted by a Korean satellite, it completely destabilizes the United States infrastructure. Korean paratroopers are dropped into central United States.
  • 2026: The United States is split into two as Korean occupiers irradiate the entire Mississippi River and occupy the Western side.
  • 2027: The United States Armed Forces are completely scattered.

Timeline

• 2004: Crytek releases Farcry. A first person shooter noted for its large levels, ground breaking graphics and physics, and the ability to travel across levels by vehicle, boat, or on foot.

• 2007: Crytek releases Crysis. A first person shooter noted for its large levels, ground breaking graphics and physics, and the ability to travel across levels by vehicle, boat, or on foot.

• 2008: Crytek releases Crysis Warhead. A first person shooter noted for its large levels, ground breaking graphics and physics, and the ability to travel across levels by vehicle, boat, or on foot.

• 2011: Crytek releases Crysis 2. A first person shooter noted for its tiny levels, slightly above average blurry graphics, near non-existent physics, striped down graphics options, and the ability to travel across levels by foot only.

I <3 Memes said:
Timeline

• 2004: Crytek releases Farcry. A first person shooter noted for its large levels, ground breaking graphics and physics, and the ability to travel across levels by vehicle, boat, or on foot.

• 2007: Crytek releases Crysis. A first person shooter noted for its large levels, ground breaking graphics and physics, and the ability to travel across levels by vehicle, boat, or on foot.

• 2008: Crytek releases Crysis Warhead. A first person shooter noted for its large levels, ground breaking graphics and physics, and the ability to travel across levels by vehicle, boat, or on foot.

• 2011: Crytek releases Crysis 2. A first person shooter noted for its tiny levels, slightly above average blurry graphics, near non-existent physics, striped down graphics options, and the ability to travel across levels by foot only.
what?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
arena08 said:
You missed the point.

Crytek don't owe you anything.
They set the bar. Expectations were to at least meet the criteria which they laid forth. Of course they don't owe me anything. I am the consumer who supported them though. And the fine community has further enhanced the game to a point which they never could. I don't feel entitled but I do have expectations based on Crytek's foundation -> Crysis.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Unbelievably awesome OT

plagiarize said:

The 1st level of Warhead goes all the way from the beginning of the game to the cutscene with the jets. The second level of the game goes from that cutscene all the way to the submarine. I guess you wouldnt need me to tell you how big the level is after the big freeze when you are riding on the hovercraft. The last level goes from the cutscene where you kill the North Korean soldier in the river all the way to the end of the runway.

I hope you dont expect the levels in Crysis 2 to be comparable in any way to even Warhead. If so you are in for a big disappointment. And when those tiny levels in Crysis 2 are barely running at 30fps on consoles you will know why they aren't any bigger. Because they were not going to make them any bigger than the xbox 360 could handle.

But hey Crytec, glad us PC gamers could help you buy all of those studios just for you to forget us in the Alps.

I <3 Memes said:
The 1st level of Warhead goes all the way from the beginning of the game to the cutscene with the jets. The second level of the game goes from that cutscene all the way to the submarine. I guess you wouldnt need me to tell you how big the level is after the big freeze when you are riding on the hovercraft. The last level goes from the cutscene where you kill the North Korean soldier in the river all the way to the end of the runway.

I hope you dont expect the levels in Crysis 2 to be comparable in any way to even Warhead. If so you are in for a big disappointment. And when those tiny levels in Crysis 2 are barely running at 30fps on consoles you will know why they aren't any bigger. Because they were not going to make them any bigger than the xbox 360 could handle.

But hey Crytec, glad us PC gamers could help you buy all of those studios just for you to forget us in the Alps.

You're grossly overstating the size of the combat areas in Warhead. Aside from the opening level, it's no bigger than Halo. And there are plenty of corridor/on-rails/indoors areas interspersed in there as well.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
You're grossly overstating the size of the combat areas in Warhead. Aside from the opening level, it's no bigger than Halo. And there are plenty of corridor/on-rails/indoors areas interspersed in there as well.

I'm not overstating anything. I'm not sure if you remember how big most of the levels in Warhead are, but they are massive. Maybe not as big as some of the levels in Crysis, but they are huge compared to Crysis 2.

Either you are forgetting how big some of the maps in Warhead are or you are overestimating the levels in Crysis 2. Trust me they are tiny even compared to Warhead.

zHpxf.jpg

LovingSteam said:
LOL. Really? I bet you make sure to go back to the original post of OT's regularly, right? This is THE OT obviously since the mods haven't locked it. Dealwithit.jpg.

it just basically immediately sets the bar low on the quality of the posts that you can find throughout it, which are basically just whines from PC gamers who are disappointed that it isn't too much different from the console versions. is it funny? yes... very. but those of us that are actually interested in it are interested in a proper one.

KingOfKong said:
it just basically immediately sets the bar low on the quality of the posts that you can find throughout it, which are basically just whines from PC gamers who are disappointed in it. is it funny? yes... very. but those of us that are actually interested in it are interested in a proper one.

Give it a few days and wait for it to come out. Look at the Dragon Age OP, it turned out fine.

aeolist

Banned
KingOfKong said:
it just basically immediately sets the bar low on the quality of the posts that you can find throughout it, which are basically just whines from PC gamers who are disappointed that it isn't too much different from the console versions. is it funny? yes... very. but those of us that are actually interested in it are interested in a proper one.
I don't give a shit what the console versions are like, I'm pissed that it's such an apparent step down from the first game.

If I'm wrong when it comes out then I'll consider buying it but the price point and general attitude toward PC customization has me wary. More likely I'll be buying at $30 once it's been patched and the mod community has hacked it to pieces.

FleckSplat said:
That's actually everything on High (it's just very compressed).

What people don't understand is many of us who are upset with how Crysis 2 aren't angered by the visuals alone. The bigger disappointment is the lack of customization for graphics. So arguing against how Crysis 2 vanilla looks better or as impressive as Crysis 1 vanilla really is missing the point.

Edit: The settings picture wasn't a message about the quality of the photo I was responding to in terms of whether it was high or not, it was showing that the problem is the lack of settings in the sequel.

I <3 Memes said:

you said that Warhead was noted for its large levels. i don't remember people mentioning 'large levels' when they were talking about warhead's distuingishing characteristics.

i wouldn't call the levels in Warhead large so much as i'd call them long on account of their linearity. i heard lots of people noting that aspect of the level design when it came out, but for some reason you failed to mention it. i heard people saying it didn't look as good as Crysis, but again you skipped that.

you did, hilariously mention boats seperately to vehicles. i rather liked that part.

Sorry, but I had to ask.

Is there any word on how long the single player campaign is?

Also, I never played the multiplayer demo yet. Is it pretty good and do you think it'll have long legs with a good community?

What do you guys think?

Zomba13

So regarding Crysis 2's graphics, I think that it looks alright in some ways. I mean it would look amazing if they let us have proper graphic options. When I played on 'hardcore' it looked horrible. I mean, it looked nice I guess but also horrible. Like, it gave me a head ache and looked like someone smeared grease all over my monitor.

I prefer when my PC games look nice and crisp, when I played the Crysis 2 multiplayer demo it was all blurry, like I had upscaled a lower res image. When putting it on advanced and using this config editor that was posted in the topic it looked a bit better (turning off motion blur, increasing FoV, fixing all the control issues).

Sadly, when playing on Advanced lots of objects faded in and out at a short distance. I really think my biggest problem is the lack of customisability. I want to be able to turn off (or lower the amount or) motion blur, get rid of the shitty AA, have texture and model detail high and not have shit fading in and out when its close enough for me to see the player behind it (very bad imo, seeing behind 'solid' objects)

bhlaab said:
Great, I don't owe them praise.
i'm not asking you to praise the game, i'm asking you to look at the game as it stands, rather than what it COULD have been. i'm asking you to look past your disappointment in the game not meeting your hopes and expectations and to judge it fairly.

not to judge it postively, just fairly. i don't expect you to play the whole game to form an opinion, but i'd like if you wouldn't extrapolate an opinion onto parts of it that you haven't seen.

that's all.

Sadly, when playing on Advanced lots of objects faded in and out at a short distance. I really think my biggest problem is the lack of customisability. I want to be able to turn off (or lower the amount or) motion blur, get rid of the shitty AA, have texture and model detail high and not have shit fading in and out when its close enough for me to see the player behind it (very bad imo, seeing behind 'solid' objects)
i think we all want this. if people want to wait to see if this ever gets patched in, i can't condemn anyone for it, but not having options doesn't make the graphics bad, just less customiseable, and i do hope Crytek give people these options because it's sending a very bad signal.

that's where i am mostly confused and annoyed at Crytek. getting the ui right takes a bit of work, but the backlash from failing to do so can be devasting, to the point where it seems almost like they're subconciously sabotaging their own game.

PC gamers react very angrily to small things which should be trivial. even though they should be trivial, they aren't hard to get right.

i do think that part of my acceptance of them comes from remembering what PC games were like before 3D graphics acceleration. Doom didn't have a load of options, nor did Quake originally. they're nice to have sure, but i think many people have been 'spoiled' by what they've become accustomed to.

JoeBoy101

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Sorry, but I had to ask.

Also, I never played the multiplayer demo yet. Is it pretty good and do you think it'll have long legs with a good community?

What do you guys think?

I heard about 13 hours from one review.

And no. Will flare up at release and then die off as most go back to CoD.

I <3 Memes said:
I'm not overstating anything. I'm not sure if you remember how big most of the levels in Warhead are, but they are massive. Maybe not as big as some of the levels in Crysis, but they are huge compared to Crysis 2.

Either you are forgetting how big some of the maps in Warhead are or you are overestimating the levels in Crysis 2. Trust me they are tiny even compared to Warhead.

...you've played Crysis 2? You speak so definitively. Or are we talking about some of the leaked footage?

plagiarize said:
i'm not asking you to praise the game, i'm asking you to look at the game as it stands, rather than what it COULD have been. i'm asking you to look past your disappointment in the game not meeting your hopes and expectations and to judge it fairly.

not to judge it postively, just fairly. i don't expect you to play the whole game to form an opinion, but i'd like if you wouldn't extrapolate an opinion onto parts of it that you haven't seen.

that's all.

Why should I do that when they can't be bothered to put simple effort in to allowing basic customizations that Indie games offer?

LovingSteam said:
Why should I do that when they can't be bothered to put simple effort in to allowing basic customizations that Indie games offer?
because someone else acting in a way you don't like doesn't give you a free pass to act like a spoilt child.

LovingSteam said:
What people don't understand is many of us who are upset with how Crysis 2 aren't angered by the visuals alone. The bigger disappointment is the lack of customization for graphics. So arguing against how Crysis 2 vanilla looks better or as impressive as Crysis 1 vanilla really is missing the point.

Edit: The settings picture wasn't a message about the quality of the photo I was responding to in terms of whether it was high or not, it was showing that the problem is the lack of settings in the sequel.

Ah ok. I posted it because it was a funny glitch. The soldier was dead and stuck like that.

FleckSplat said:
Ah ok. I posted it because it was a funny glitch. The soldier was dead and stuck like that.

My apologies.

plagiarize said:
because someone else acting in a way you don't like doesn't give you a free pass to act like a spoilt child.

LOL what a dumb ass statement. Guess what, any game company doesn't DESERVE sales. They have to EARN IT. It's my money. Why the hell am I going to spend $50 let alone $60 on a game by a developer who shows a lack of care with a game for the medium that I prefer to game on.

Let me guess, people should have bought FF13 just because Square spent time on making the game. They should have ignored the fact that it was as linear as a straight line compared to previous FF's. How about if Ubisoft took what was great about Assassins Creed 2/Brotherhood and for their next game made it for all three consoles including the Wii. And thanks to this decision what made the game great was negatively impacted. Should PS3/360 owners by the game just because Ubi spent time with developing the game? Hell no. Crysis 2 gimped the PC version in the most important way: REMOVED THE OPTIONS!

Sho_Nuff82 said:
...you've played Crysis 2? You speak so definitively. Or are we talking about some of the leaked footage?

We are not supposed to talk about the footage from the leak. So if you have seen it don't talk about it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Sorry, but I had to ask.

Beta walkthrough time clocks in at 6 hours. Havent watched it so it might be a no-die speed run, but i doubt it.

LovingSteam said:
Let me guess, people should have bought FF13 just because Square spent time on making the game. They should have ignored the fact that it was as linear as a straight line compared to previous FF's. How about if Ubisoft took what was great about Assassins Creed 2/Brotherhood and for their next game made it for all three consoles including the Wii. And thanks to this decision what made the game great was negatively impacted. Should PS3/360 owners by the game just because Ubi spent time with developing the game? Hell no. Crysis 2 gimped the PC version in the most important way: REMOVED THE OPTIONS!
show me where i said you should buy the game. or where the game deserves sales. or respect. or any of that bullshit.

i asked you to judge the game based on what it is, not what it could have been. that's all. i'm not asking anyone not to be disappointed, i'm just encouraging people to look past that and judge the game.

to judge the game. not to like it.

but no, you don't seem to think it deserves fair appraisal because it doesn't let you specify what kind of anti aliasing it has.

i don't know that i'm going to like Crysis 2. i'm still getting it but i do have reservations about how it's going to play... and if i don't like it, i'm not going to hesistate to explain why... but no matter how shitty the options are, no matter how shitty the menus are, if it looks good and runs well and plays well, i'm going to praise it.

plagiarize said:
show me where i said you should buy the game. or where the game deserves sales. or respect. or any of that bullshit.

i asked you to judge the game based on what it is, not what it could have been. that's all. i'm not asking anyone not to be disappointed, i'm just encouraging people to look past that and judge the game.

to judge the game. not to like it.

but no, you don't seem to think it deserves fair appraisal because it doesn't let you specify what kind of anti aliasing it has.

... I am judging what the game is based on! The fact that its lacking some BASIC OH SO BASIC options that are included in every single high budget game I can think of recently is what I am basing my distaste on. Whether you like it or not, its inexcusable and it shows me how highly Crytek thinks of the PC gaming community that they'd withhold some basic options.

DaBuddaDa

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Sorry, but I had to ask.

I've read ~6 hours rushing through, up to ~9 hours if taking your time. Not long, but not as short as many other modern shooters.

mxgt

Banned
plagiarize said:
It has 3 customisation presets. That's it. So no, it doesn't deserve fair appraisal as a major PC release in 2011.

I'd love to be proven wrong by the retail release, though.

mxgt said:
It has 3 customisation presets. That's it. So no, it doesn't deserve fair appraisal as a major PC release in 2011.

I'd love to be proven wrong by the retail release, though.

Yup. He apparently doesn't understand that settings are as much part of a PC game as gameplay/visuals. It's one of the key attributes that sets PC games apart from their console counterparts.

DaBuddaDa said:
I've read ~6 hours rushing through, up to ~9 hours if taking your time. Not long, but not as short as many other modern shooters.
~Kinggi~ said:
Beta walkthrough time clocks in at 6 hours. Havent watched it so it might be a no-die speed run, but i doubt it.
Okay, thanks for the info.

Hope the multiplayer is still worth the full price for it. I kept reading negative things about Bullet Storm's multiplayer which is why I skipped it because the single player was too short.

Crysis 2 seems like it has better multiplayer. For me, it depends on the community and longevity.

LovingSteam said:
Yup. He apparently doesn't understand that settings are as much part of a PC game as gameplay/visuals. It's one of the key attributes that sets PC games apart from their console counterparts.
sure... don't read my posts. it makes you look super clever.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
plagiarize said:
My fair appraisal of this situation is that it is unacceptable and insulting.

Top Bottom